Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,938 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:24 PM

How To Start Your Own Successful Business From Nothing -part 1 (naija) - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How To Start Your Own Successful Business From Nothing -part 1 (naija) (543 Views)

How To Start Your Own Successful Business From Nothing -part 3 (naija) / How To Start Your Own Successful Business From Nothing -part 2 (naija) / How I Started A Soap Making Business From Scratch (pictures And Videos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Start Your Own Successful Business From Nothing -part 1 (naija) by jidestroud(m): 11:19am On Jul 05, 2018
“The important thing is not being afraid to take a chance. Remember, the greatest failure is to not try.”

-Debbi Fields, founder of Mrs. Fields Cookies

A LITTLE STORY YOU CAN RELATE WITH…

Introduction

Ok, first and foremost, I am going to be relating with you by divulging the secrets of starting up your very own successful business using real life events and experiences. I am not going to be boring you with textbooks materials, motivational quotes from every other motivational speaker out there in the world (truly, they all seem to have the same storyline…which in the real sense only about 15% can relate with them to get it right), lifting e-books from the webpages (this I bet you have read over and over again, even have a stock pile of it saved in a folder on your personal computer), neither will I be teaching you something so abstract that can only be actualised in your dreams, but will guide you step by step, taking you by the hands explaining to you the do’s and dont’s of starting up your successful business. Trust me it only takes this much to get started.

“Nobody talks of entrepreneurship as survival, but that’s exactly what it is.”

-Anita Roddick, founder of The Body Shop

Early stages

Like they say, “the secrets of a successful business man lies in his story”. Well, this isn’t just going to be my story alone, but will be your story too in a little while. The difference between us now is what most people never almost give out for free, but I will…and of course without a token or fee. All that is required of you is the same traits I exhibited at the initial stages.

My story…

Who wouldn’t want to go to school? get a good college degree? get a good job that gets bills paid? settle down with a loved lifetime partner and live the good life? well, like every other growing dude in the ever challenging Nigerian society, I wanted all these, in fact, these was the myth I was made to believe. “Go to school, come out with good grades and then you will get a good job”. hmmm…we all know this isn’t the obvious. At least not for the unfortunate us (lol) who have had to fulfil the initial requirements yet haven’t gotten the so-called good jobs of our dreams.

Unemployment and Me – Unemployment rate can be defined as the number of people actively looking for a job divided by the labour force…Bla Bla Bla. This is what we can relate with; There is no work out there unless you know somebody that knows somebody that knows somebody. How many of the CV’s have we had to send out constantly online, the numbers of family friends we have had to call for help on a daily basis, the so many times we have had to attend the never ending interviews only to know it only ends with the interview. The truth is, I certainly did all and even more than I have mentioned above until the job eventually came (hmmm…it came like I said; Knowing somebody that knows somebody that knows somebody).

On the Job – Getting the job was more like opting for the beggars choice. A job you know only pays your transport bills, hardly puts food on your table, never gets you the luxury of buying your dream car, never enough to spend on your partner, causes you sleepless nights, and causes you more “gbese” (Yoruba word for Debt).

Nevertheless, it’s worth more than being jobless you will agree with me right? “Akuko” (Ibo word for story story). Most of us have had to compromise standards for anyhow jobs. i.e. graduate of Computer Engineering teaching mathematics in a primary school. Electrical engineering graduate working in supermarket. Accounting (chartered) working as a secretary in a local government office. e.t.c. the list and the reality is endless.

As the days rolled into weeks, weeks into months, months into years, I knew I was becoming a wasted generation. Reality was catching up on me. Was I going to continue living this misplaced unaccomplished life that time and events has forced upon me? The answer was NOOOOOOO.

“Entrepreneurs are risk takers, willing to roll the dice with their money or reputation on the line in support of an idea or enterprise. They willingly assume responsibility for the success or failure of a venture and are answerable for all its facets.”

-Victor Kiam, owner of Remington Products

Breaking point: – Noooooooo I screamed to myself. I couldn’t do this any more. Getting up in the morning became more and more difficult (for those of us living in Lagos, 4am was the idea wakeup time). I knew the end of the job was close by. I was doing so much for little pay in return. The weekends certainly wasn’t mine to schedule again, yet, it wasn’t paid for. The number of times I have had to type my resignation letter to drop it off with the human resource department only to think of the number of days I used at home searching for the job before I got it. And there goes my family members and friends saying; “stick to your job ooo!!!! it’s not easy getting jobs nowadays you know. people will die to get your present job“

Well, it eventually happened. Enough is enough!!! I work up that morning and said to myself. It is better to be Unemployed and Broke that to be employed and still very broke. I took a bold step, went to my laptop, straight to my recycle bin, restored the typed deleted Resignation letter, printed it out, submitted it at the office that morning and huurrray I was out of job…somebody say hallelujah (stupid of me right?) Half a loaf is better than none it says; for me, the half a loaf was definitely causing more hunger and thirst. I couldn’t live dining and whining with just the half bread. It was high time I sacrificed my half and made someone else bread full don’t you think?

Out of Job again – HAhaha… I know the step I took was too drastic. at least get another job before quitting your present job. I was stupid I agree, stupid enough to take my first step into prosperity and owning my very own successful business…

[i]“I’ve been blessed to find people who are smarter than I am, and they help me to execute the vision I have.”[/I]

-Russell Simmons, founder of Def Jam

To Be Continued

Have you ever wondered what keeps those market women by the road sides selling everyday? how much money they make?

Think about that yam seller who also fries akara (beans cake) just by your bus stop. How much is she making?

The suya man who always shows up every evening to sell his season grilled meat…does he have much savings?

The recharge seller? buns seller? Kunu/sobo maker? etc…do they have any investments?

Read more:
https://jide2stroud./2014/04/14/how-to-start-your-own-successful-business-from-nothing/

2 Likes

Re: How To Start Your Own Successful Business From Nothing -part 1 (naija) by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jul 05, 2018
God bless you, Ride on. more update
Re: How To Start Your Own Successful Business From Nothing -part 1 (naija) by jidestroud(m): 4:08pm On Jul 05, 2018
jamil2000:
God bless you, Ride on. more update

Thanks. More update soonest

(1) (Reply)

Marketing Plan Template Download / I Sell Wristwatches... / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.