Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,246 members, 7,815,356 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:11 AM

Beliefs And Taboos In Ancient Igboland - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Beliefs And Taboos In Ancient Igboland (1562 Views)

Abominations And Taboos In Igboland / 5 Taboos Across Africa That Modernism Failed To Take Away (Pics) / Abominations And Taboos In Igbo Land - Aru (pt 1) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beliefs And Taboos In Ancient Igboland by Uranus1: 1:55am On Jul 07, 2018
These things were believed by the Igbo people in the ancient days and some still prevail to this day.
The Igbos are the people of an ethnic group native to southeastern Nigeria. In ancient times, rules and beliefs were adapted to keep the sanity of the land and not incur the wrath of the gods.
Most of these beliefs were born out of fear of the unknown. Even though they are thousands of years old, they are still believed and practiced by a lot of people.

Ogbanje
In things fall apart, Chinua Achebe states that Ogbanje is " a 'wicked' child who continually re-enters its mother’s womb only to die again and again, causing its parents grief".

Wine carrying
In the old days and till now, when a man is interested in marrying a woman, he calls his kins men, takes a calabash of fresh palm wine and walks to the girl's house to ask her father for her hand. He carries the keg on his head till he gets to the house. It is considered a bad for his calabash of wine to fall to the ground before he gets to his destination. If this happens, he is to turn back immediately and desist from his plans to marry from that particular house.7

Plantain
It was believed that two fingers of plantain joined together was a bad omen. When one is separating them, he/she is to put it behind his back and not use his/her eyes to see the separation. If not, the person would give birth to conjoined twins.

Eke (python)
Pythons are generally sacred in Igboland and must not be killed or eaten. Pythons are believed to be the reincarnation of ancestors, and regarded as “our father.” They are also believed to be Ala , the guardian of the land/underworld. Killing a python is like killing one’s own father, and apart from drawing the ire of the whole community, it could also draw the ire of the gods.

Suicide
Killing oneself or committing suicide is a taboo in Igboland, and so much frowned upon by both man and gods that the victim of suicide must never be buried within the community. His body is cursed and must never be buried in the land, but in the Forbidden Forest or outside the town to prevent such evils from befalling others in the community. This is also a common taboo to the Yoruba people » .

Using the left hand
Using " aka ekpe" , or left hand to do anything is forbidden in Igboland and strictly prohibited – regardless of the fact that the individual may be left-handed. A left-handed individual is trained or oriented to learn the use of the right hand in eating, writing, giving and accepting things. Elders deeply frown on giving or taking things with the left hand because it is considered most disrespectful and unfortunate. This belief is very common throughout Nigeria and is one every Nigerian will understand » .

Marrying an Osu
An Osu is an outcast within the caste system, and marrying one is considered a taboo that must never be done. An Osu or outcast is considered the property of the gods or a slave and descendant of slaves and must never be offered or taken for marriage. Free-born men and women are expected to investigate the origins and social class of an individual to be certain he/she is not an Osu before contracting marriage. Even to this day, marriage proceedings have been stopped because investigations discovered either family was a descendant of an osu.

https://www.nigerialog.com/culture/beliefs-and-taboos-in-ancient-igboland/new/#new
Re: Beliefs And Taboos In Ancient Igboland by meobizy(f): 2:23am On Jul 07, 2018
The one I don't understand till this day is a person getting angry because another jumped over their legs. As a child I got into many fights with this being the origin. The funny part is a lot of those people who forced me to cross back over their legs turned out taller than I am now. They are wiser these days and laugh at their former naivety.

I can swear with my life some 8 - 15 year olds still believe this myth. I'm sure even some 40+ year olds still do. Ishilove, I lie?

1 Like

Re: Beliefs And Taboos In Ancient Igboland by Ishilove: 3:54am On Jul 07, 2018
meobizy:
The one I don't understand till this day is a person getting angry because another jumped over their legs. As a child I got into many fights with this being the origin. The funny part is a lot of those people who forced me to cross back over their legs turned out taller than I am now. They are wiser now and laugh at their former naivety.

I can swear with my life some 8 - 15 year olds still believe this myth. I'm sure even some 40+ year olds still do. Ishilove, I lie?
I'm just hearing this. The one I'm aware of is entering between two people. When i was a child people, even my peers would tell me retrace my steps and go around them if I happened to pass in between them on the streets.

Nowadays no one can tell me to cross back of i pass between them because you don't own the road. You cannor block road and expect me to circumvent you two. I will pass in between and go my way.
Re: Beliefs And Taboos In Ancient Igboland by bigfrancis21: 4:43am On Jul 07, 2018
meobizy:
The one I don't understand till this day is a person getting angry because another jumped over their legs. As a child I got into many fights with this being the origin. The funny part is a lot of those people who forced me to cross back over their legs turned out taller than I am now. They are wiser now and laugh at their former naivety.

Lol this was very common while growing up. If you jumped over someone laying on the ground, you'd be asked to reverse the jump to undo some curse your jumping action would bring. Childhood memories.

Another one was accidentally striking your left foot against an object - bad omen. If it were the right foot - good omen.

Or if you suddenly sneezed out of the blues, someone somewhere was thinking of you or was calling your name, and the person who sneezed would say out loud, 'onye na-akpo m?' (Who's calling me?)

1 Like

Re: Beliefs And Taboos In Ancient Igboland by bigfrancis21: 4:46am On Jul 07, 2018
Ishilove:

I'm just hearing this. The one I'm aware of is entering between two people. When i was a child people, even my peers would tell me retrace my steps and go around them if I happened to pass in between them on the streets.

Nowadays no one can tell me to cross back of i pass between them because you don't own the road. You cannor block road and expect me to circumvent you two. I will pass in between and go my way.

Evangelist Ishilove....it's rude to bump in between 2 people discussing na.... cheesy
Re: Beliefs And Taboos In Ancient Igboland by Ishilove: 4:54am On Jul 07, 2018
bigfrancis21:

Evangelist Ishilove....it's rude to bump in between 2 people discussing na.... cheesy
Ehn, I only bump when they block road and i don't want to step off the side walk. If you want to gist on the road then be considerate to other road users
Re: Beliefs And Taboos In Ancient Igboland by Tolexander: 5:40am On Jul 07, 2018
just here to see the taboo and belief of marrying Igbo girl.
Re: Beliefs And Taboos In Ancient Igboland by bigfrancis21: 9:35am On Jul 07, 2018
Ishilove:

Ehn, I only bump when they block road and i don't want to step off the side walk. If you want to gist on the road then be considerate to other road users

But you can say, 'excuse me please' and they'll shift for you na.... cheesy

Ishilove! wink

1 Like

Re: Beliefs And Taboos In Ancient Igboland by Ishilove: 10:00am On Jul 07, 2018
bigfrancis21:

But you can say, 'excuse me please' and they'll shift for you na.... cheesy
Ain't nobody gat time for that... wink
Re: Beliefs And Taboos In Ancient Igboland by Tallesty1(m): 10:19am On Jul 07, 2018
Pythons are generally sacred in Igboland and must not be killed or eaten. Pythons are believed to be the reincarnation of ancestors, and regarded as “our father.” They are also believed to be Ala , the guardian of the land/underworld.
They're not sacred in my place.
Re: Beliefs And Taboos In Ancient Igboland by meobizy(f): 11:53am On Jul 07, 2018
bigfrancis21:

Lol this was very common while growing up. If you jumped over someone laying on the ground, you'd be asked to reverse the jump to undo some curse your jumping action would bring. Childhood memories.

Another one was accidentally striking your left foot against an object - bad omen. If it were the right foot - good omen.

Or if you suddenly sneezed out of the blues, someone somewhere was thinking of you or was calling your name, and the person who sneezed would say out loud, 'onye na-akpo m?' (Who's calling me?)
I remember this one, very annoying.
I wonder how children learn all these things. I see them as a lack of modern exposure. All the girls and boys who practiced these those days are now social media slay kings and queens forming posh.

1 Like

Re: Beliefs And Taboos In Ancient Igboland by meobizy(f): 11:58am On Jul 07, 2018
Ishilove:

Their reason then against the jumping thing was saying it meant they won't grow tall later in life. To undo the curse one had to jump back over.

The passing between two people thing I believe is more of respect than a curse. I'm sure people forced others to pass back for so long they forgot the main reason why.
As a child I'm sure saying 'excuse me' would have granted you their permission but most of the people I'm 100% sure were too ignorant to teach a child the proper way.
Re: Beliefs And Taboos In Ancient Igboland by meobizy(f): 3:12pm On Aug 13, 2018
Since I like this thread so much I'll add the belief of shooting 'pins'.
This is where an individual looks at a target they want dead or food item they want poisoned and snap their fingers together, causing a transfer of diabolic demonic energy from the host to the other or the piece of food.
A lot of people swear it works but have no proof whatsoever to show its effectiveness.

This second belief is a Nigerian one which Nollywood also capitalises on: eating a stranger's food to later appear in a coven at midnight.
Generations have passed with no evidence yet people believe strongly in it.
I was reminded of it this morning.

(1) (Reply)

Caribbeans In Nigeria / Was Odua An Osu? / 10 Biggest Wedding Money Wasters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.