Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,713 members, 7,816,939 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:37 PM

Abominations And Taboos In Igboland - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Abominations And Taboos In Igboland (1189 Views)

A Nairalander Witnesses Iwa Akwa (Wearing Of Cloth) Ceremony In Igboland / 5 Taboos Across Africa That Modernism Failed To Take Away (Pics) / Abominations And Taboos In Igbo Land - Aru (pt 1) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abominations And Taboos In Igboland by Sommie1122: 9:06pm On Sep 30, 2022
ABOMINATIONS AND TABOOS IN IGBOLAND

Igbos have a whole lot of customs and traditions that are still been practiced regardless of technology and civilization. Most people who are not Igbos or Igbos who are not so familiar with the community traditions might fall prey to the calamity that comes with going against the tradition of the land.

The DONT'S OF IGBOLAND
*No market, celebration, or any event on eke market day
*It's an abomination to give or receive any item in odd numbered forms e.g 1,3,5,7 it must be in two's or multiples of 2�
*It's an abomination to kill a phyton

To get more TABOOS of IGBOLAND and the effect... Watch the video below and thank me later....My people die for lack of knowledge indeed!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUJHFC5jqpk
Re: Abominations And Taboos In Igboland by UCHIHAmask: 2:17am On Oct 03, 2022
About giving or receiving in odd numbers,can you tell why it is so?
Never really heard about it
Re: Abominations And Taboos In Igboland by KristaPretty(f): 8:03am On Oct 04, 2022
I'm not a fan of people GENERALISING!

I think it would be more sensible for you to speak about YOUR village, not everywhere in general else you'd end up embarrassing yourself with the wrong message. I am a regular village citizen and traveller I know the customs and traditions of my village.

The numbers are definitely not part of them!
When I also travelled few months back, I watched my cousin kill a python. I would try to see if I still have the photos.

In summary, never generalise
Re: Abominations And Taboos In Igboland by duro4chang(m): 12:54pm On Oct 05, 2022
UCHIHAmask:
About giving or receiving in odd numbers,can you tell why it is so?
Never really heard about it
It is like that in Yorubaland
Re: Abominations And Taboos In Igboland by UCHIHAmask: 1:19pm On Oct 05, 2022
duro4chang:
It is like that in Yorubaland
Like that too in Yoruba! Never heard of that.
Can you tell me why?
Re: Abominations And Taboos In Igboland by duro4chang(m): 1:25pm On Oct 05, 2022
UCHIHAmask:
Like that too in Yoruba! Never heard of that. Can you tell me why?
Honestly I do not know. I just met it like that.

1 Like

Re: Abominations And Taboos In Igboland by romunu(m): 3:56pm On Oct 09, 2022
That odd numbers own I don’t like, so, if you were given #3 million and 200k, you will take the even number?
Re: Abominations And Taboos In Igboland by Originalsly: 5:26am On Oct 13, 2022
KristaPretty:

I'm not a fan of people GENERALISING!

I think it would be more sensible for you to speak about YOUR village, not everywhere in general else you'd end up embarrassing yourself with the wrong message. I am a regular village citizen and traveller I know the customs and traditions of my village.

The numbers are definitely not part of them!
When I also travelled few months back, I watched my cousin kill a python. I would try to see if I still have the photos.

In summary, never generalise

I heard about the numbers .....even numbers only... but never knew the source nor reason until now. On the snake your cousin killed.... was it a short or long python? She never said pythons shouldn't be killed... she was specific ... said long pythons. When it comes to traditions and abomination... generalization is a must.

(1) (Reply)

An Insight To Some Nairalanders' Behaviour:from Reallife Ju Man To Online Gigolo / Any Igbo People Know About Igbo Names? / Good Old Days

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.