Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,006 members, 7,821,525 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:20 PM

The case for grazing reserves by Kalu Aja - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The case for grazing reserves by Kalu Aja (1348 Views)

Kalu Aja, Nefertiti Hail Sani Abacha's Administration / FG Shortlists 21 States For Pilot Grazing Reserves (list) / Why We Need 20% Of Nigeria For Grazing By Nonso Obikili (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The case for grazing reserves by Kalu Aja by Blue3k2: 2:43am On Jul 07, 2018
Of Grazing, Ranches And Routes

by Kalu Aja

“The quality of solutions must be superior to the problem”

We have now arrived at a point in time where entire villages are sacked and razed because of access to grazing fields by herdsmen. How did we get here?

Nigeria has had nomadic cattle herdsmen before I was born, they move seeking green shoots of grass to feed their cows. This community of nomadic people have had a special status in Nigeria, the federal government set up a Commission of Nomadic Education to educate them.

However Let’s get down to it, we can’t in 2018 have cow walking from the Northern Part of Nigeria to the Southern part of Nigeria to graze, no sir, that system of agricultural activity is dead. Its dead for many reasons, the simplest being that cows walking lose weight, thus its meat yield is poor, if we simply kept the cows in one place, in a ranch and fed them, then processed them for their meat we will have fatter cows, more meat yield, and thus more protein for the nation. Let’s not even talk about cows trampling on farm produce as the go through “grazing routes” ….

So this article argues for grazing reserves, not grazing routes. The practice of cattle walking to grazing fields, in effect the nomadic tradition has to end, but everything comes to an end.

So lets focus on grazing reserves, this is not a new idea, in 1954, a study called the Fulani Amenities Proposal was done. The proposal suggested the creation of grazing reserves, a paper done by Dr Ismail Iro on Grazing Reserves Development states that By 1964, the government had gazetted about 6.4 million hectares of the forest reserve, ninety-eight percent in the savanna. Sokoto Province had twenty-one percent of the land, followed by Kabba, Bauchi, Zaria, Ilorin, and Katsina, with 11-15 percent each (Awogbade 1982).

In 1965, the  Nigerian Government incorporated the Fulani Amenities Proposal into the Grazing Reserve Law. By 1980, Nigeria had established 2.3 million hectares of grazing reserves, At the close of 1992, the government has identified over 300 areas with twenty-eight million hectares for grazing reserve development. About forty-five of these areas, covering some 600,000 hectares, have been gazetted. Eight of these reserves, totaling 225,000 hectares, are fully established.

So we have grazing reserves, to be specific state lands , taken by the Federal Government and designated as grazing land. The problem today is that the grazing policy has not kept pace with realities on the ground. In 1964, when the Northern Government set aside 6.4m hectares of land  there was no Abuja FCT, so Abuja “encroached” on the livestock grazing land…what land area was used to compensate the cattle herders?

This “compensation” and realigning of the grazing reserves earlier established to reality I believe is what the National Grazing Routes and Reserves Bill 2016 sought to correct. However, note that the past grazing bill was for lands in Northern Nigeria, the new bill is for land everywhere in Nigeria. Why? Climate change

The issue really is not grazing lands or routes but climate change. Climate change and massive deforestation has turned the North to deserts, cows cannot commercially graze in the North…. thus the simple solution is to move Southwards where there is still green grass. So what happens when the green field in the South are depleted? will we move our cattle to Cameroon? We must devise better solutions to the climate change and deforestation issue,

The short term solution are ranches in the Southern Part of Nigeria, owned by the states and private sector and leased to the private cattle owners to graze on.

Instead of a Grazing Commission appropriating private and state lands, crate a Grazing fund, the fund can get its revenue from taxing abattoirs per head of cattle killed, about 5,000 cows are killed daily in Lagos alone, a N500 tax per cow is N2,500,000 a day.

This fund will guarantee payment to private and states for the leasing of their land by the cattle owners. So the grazing fund will issue adverts for suitable land, specify amenities, etc states and individuals can bid and their land is designated grazing reserve land. The cows graze, the Fund pays the state or land owner. The lands left to fallow can easily become grazing reserves, the owners get paid. Let’s just keep it simple.

Keep in mind, the first Sovereign Wealth fund in the world was The Permanent School Fund (PSF) created in 1854 by the state of Texas to benefit primary and secondary schools The PSF was endowed with public lands, which cows ranchers paid grazing leases for access to the land by their cows. The funds raised went to fund schools in Texas.

According to the National Population Commission 2006 figures and Landmass complied from NPC Report, 1991, Benue and Plateau States have very low population density, eg Lagos is 2,695 but Benue population density is 124 and plateau is 55 So nothing stops Benue and Plateau States from creating land trusts to lease land to the grazing trust and earn cash. This way there Is a direct economic benefit of cows grazing to the people of Benue. its a clear form of IGR to the state, just as in Texas.

What will then also happen is a multiplier effect, as cows graze in one spot, they can get immunized, killed for beef, skin, etc, Benue and Plateau can become the center of a modern livestock ranching and vaccines industry in Nigeria, Cows don’t have to walk to Lagos they can be killed, shipped in refrigerated containers to markets across Nigeria from the grazing fields of the Benue Plateau

The narrative on grazing must change from rights of cows to graze to positive economic impact of cows grazing in one area.

Long term solution? we must defeat the Sahara Desert encroachment, its not impossible, Israel is a major exporter of fresh produce but half the land is desert, with no water, but Israel has turned their deserts green and feed themselves from that desert., The Governors facing desert encroachment should go to Israel and ask them how they keep cows in deserts.

If Israel is far, go to Sudan, in Sudan DAL farms keeps cows in air-conditioned pens away from the heat and can milk 56 cows in 10 minutes…this is Sudan.

Then fix the cutting of trees, provide subsidized coal from Kogi and Enugu to the North, provide gas to the villages, soon there will be no trees on Northern Nigeria at the current rate of felling.

Unless this is done, after the cattle, the people of the North will also migrate to the south to escape the deserts.

Fixing the encroachment of the deserts is really fixing agriculture and irrigation in Nigeria, and both are not rocket science., its just hard work

Its our problem, we can fix it..

Source: https://www.businessdayonline.com/news/article/grazing-ranches-routes/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The case for grazing reserves by Kalu Aja by Blue3k2: 2:00pm On Jul 07, 2018
I dont see why federal goveenment gas to step in especially if the author provided Texas how this grazing reserve would work. The state doesnt need to cede any to federal government and could run the reserve themselves. Setting up sovereign wealth fund sounds like great idea. Kano should look into this idea.

The main reason southern states reject ceding land to federal government is fact they dont want to relinquish control. The other reason is they simply dont care for herdsmen. States provide land for business the like example Akwa Ibom and jubilee syringe factory.

FriendNG an article you would like.
Re: The case for grazing reserves by Kalu Aja by FriendNG: 2:28pm On Jul 07, 2018
Blue3k2:
FriendNG an article you would like.

We don't have land for such. We cannot accept fulani domination and the continuation of Danfodio Jihad. (In opposition voice)

Seriously Nigeria and Nigerians cut down trees and make no Provision for new ones.
Re: The case for grazing reserves by Kalu Aja by Nobody: 2:54pm On Jul 07, 2018
The Falgore ranching solution, as proposed by Governor Ganduje of Kano, remains the Solution to these crises.
Re: The case for grazing reserves by Kalu Aja by Blue3k2: 3:08pm On Jul 07, 2018
FriendNG:

We don't have land for such. We cannot accept fulani domination and the continuation of Danfodio Jihad.

Seriously Nigeria and Nigerians cut down trees and make no Provision for new ones.

Well that's distrust of herdsmen just a reality. The land fir frazing reserve law was in the North back then. Everyone in south is rejecting grazing reserves today. This an issue they north has to solve itself. The benefits would be immense if they do.

The issues to tackle would be irritation and getting fodder in dry season. The rest of the stuff like dairy processing plants and meat processing will follow naturally. The beef will simply be transported by refrigerated trucks or something.

The only thing I find weird about commenters is the insistence that south or non willing states participate like Benue. These northern states should be happy to have less competition seeing how theres only so many herdsmen. Besides ranching works best in low population density environments.

1 Like

Re: The case for grazing reserves by Kalu Aja by FriendNG: 4:25pm On Jul 07, 2018
Blue3k2:

Well that's distrust of herdsmen just a reality. The land fir frazing reserve law was in the North back then. Everyone in south is rejecting grazing reserves today. This an issue they north has to solve itself. The benefits would be immense if they do.

The issues to tackle would be irritation and getting fodder in dry season. The rest of the stuff like dairy processing plants and meat processing will follow naturally. The beef will simply be transported by refrigerated trucks or something.

The only thing I find weird about commenters is the insistence that south or non willing states participate like Benue. These northern states should be happy to have less competition seeing how theres only so many herdsmen. Besides ranching works best in low population density environments.

It's not a distrust but a campaign sponsored by some people. I am yet to hear same distrust when Jonathan wants to do same.

1 Like

Re: The case for grazing reserves by Kalu Aja by FriendNG: 4:28pm On Jul 07, 2018
igbodefender:
The Falgore ranching solution, as proposed by Governor Ganduje of Kano, remains the Solution to these crises.

Falgore is a game reserve. Better sambisa since the game reserve has been depleted by insurgency.
Re: The case for grazing reserves by Kalu Aja by saaron(m): 4:43pm On Jul 07, 2018
The terrorists are FREE to set up their GRAZING RESERVE IN SAMBISA FOREST.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The case for grazing reserves by Kalu Aja by Nobody: 6:51pm On Jul 07, 2018
FriendNG:

Falgore is a game reserve. Better sambisa since the game reserve has been depleted by insurgency.
The Falgore option seems at present more feasible politically. But if a Sambisa solution will end the killings, it is welcome.
Re: The case for grazing reserves by Kalu Aja by FriendNG: 7:15pm On Jul 07, 2018
igbodefender:

The Falgore option seems at present more feasible politically. But if a Sambisa solution will end the killings, it is welcome.

No! Why disrupt a game reserve? I want the northern governors of northwest in conjugation with FG to give their land for grazing reserves. Construct meat industries that can preserve and package meat, milk, and skin for export. And they (the governors) should make sure D goods are sold in a higher price. The states refusing to give land for grazing due to ethnic or religious reasons will indirectly pay for the reserve and industries via the goods price.

And also in another reprisal we will make it difficult for non indegine to obtain land in states like Kano except those that will set companies. Land laws for building houses, shops, will be tightened. You cannot be living and earning in peoples land and at the same castigating same people in your own land because someone told u dey will islamize u. Yet they have not for over 50 years.

1 Like

Re: The case for grazing reserves by Kalu Aja by Blue3k2: 7:40pm On Jul 07, 2018
Im surprised u guys dont find this aspect of the article more interesting. This fund pays for the University of Texas system and Texas A&M today.

Keep in mind, the first Sovereign Wealth fund in the world was The Permanent School Fund (PSF) created in 1854 by the state of Texas to benefit primary and secondary schools The PSF was endowed with public lands, which cows ranchers paid grazing leases for access to the land by their cows.
Re: The case for grazing reserves by Kalu Aja by Nobody: 8:12pm On Jul 07, 2018
FriendNG:

No! Why disrupt a game reserve? I want the northern governors of northwest in conjugation with FG to give their land for grazing reserves. Construct meat industries that can preserve and package meat, milk, and skin for export. And they (the governors) should make sure D goods are sold in a higher price. The states refusing to give land for grazing due to ethnic or religious reasons will indirectly pay for the reserve and industries via the goods price.

And also in another reprisal we will make it difficult for non indegine to obtain land in states like Kano except those that will set companies. Land laws for building houses, shops, will be tightened. You cannot be living and earning in peoples land and at the same castigating same people in your own land because someone told u dey will islamize u. Yet they have not for over 50 years.
Noted.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The case for grazing reserves by Kalu Aja by FriendNG: 10:40pm On Jul 07, 2018
Blue3k2:
Im surprised u guys dont find this aspect of the article more interesting. This fund pays for the University of Texas system and Texas A&M today.

It was created by state not the cattle owners against what opposition are clamoring for now. The tax herders pay is a source of revenue for the state.
Re: The case for grazing reserves by Kalu Aja by behosgroups2019: 10:52pm On Jul 07, 2018
Well written...bro. Please keep it up
Re: The case for grazing reserves by Kalu Aja by OfficialAPCNig: 10:57pm On Jul 07, 2018
igbodefender:
The only sensible thing you have said in your entire life.
Re: The case for grazing reserves by Kalu Aja by Blue3k2: 5:12pm On Jul 08, 2018
FriendNG:

It was created by state not the cattle owners against what opposition are clamoring for now. The tax herders pay is a source of revenue for the state.

Im not sure what your arguing correct me if misinterpreting point. I agree a sovereign wealth fund is created by the state. I think your talking about the grazing land. Legally since state government can take land for that purpose. Jigawa seized 12,000 hectares for Chinese firm. The Federal government does also provide for nomadic education the quality I don't know.

Ranchers did purchase land from privately as well that's how ranches Like King Ranch Started in 1853 before the sovereign wealth fund. I don't know if King ranch was first ranch or just the largest. Again states are more than free to copy Texas if they have land to devote to herders. The federal government can take swath of land it owns in Sambisa forest like you all suggest and use it for ranching. The other option is work with willing states like its doing and set up low interest loans for ranching business.

igbodefender:

Its not enough considering it holds a little over 5 million cattle. The Cattle population alone is around 20 million. More states would need to be ready to copy his proposal. The states willing to participate in federal grazing reserve scheme or start their own.
Re: The case for grazing reserves by Kalu Aja by FriendNG: 7:00pm On Jul 08, 2018
Blue3k2:

Im not sure what your arguing correct me if misinterpreting point. I agree a sovereign wealth fund is created by the state. I think your talking about the grazing land. Legally since state government can take land for that purpose. Jigawa seized 12,000 hectares for Chinese firm. The Federal government does also provide for nomadic education the quality I don't know.

I don't get you. Jigawa seized 12,000 hectares for Chinese firm as how. Seized Land from who for Chinese firm.

Ranchers did purchase land from privately as well that's how ranches Like King Ranch Started in 1853 before the sovereign wealth fund. I don't know if King ranch was first ranch or just the largest.

Even today we have people that ranch their cows in Nigeria. But what I don't believe is the saying that herding is a private business and that they (herdsmen) are the ones to purchase land from state government and use it as reserves.

Again states are more than free to copy Texas if they have land to devote to herders.

That's what I suggest. Meat, skin etc processing industries should also be constructed by willing private investors or the state itself.

Thederal government can take swath of land it owns in Sambisa forest like you all suggest and use it for ranching.

Although Boko Haram have been degraded but it's unwise to do such now. The insurgent might launch surprised attack especially when they heard cattle are being reared. I suggest conversation of samvisa game reserve to grazing reserve should be a long term planing and not immediate solution. Sambisa alone is enough for ranching.

The other option is work with willing states like its doing and set up low interest loans for ranching business.

This should be for those willing to do ranching and not something mandatory. Reserves should be provided by government and not herders.
Re: The case for grazing reserves by Kalu Aja by Blue3k2: 7:04pm On Jul 08, 2018
FriendNG:

I don't get you. Jigawa seized 12,000 hectares for Chinese firm as how. Seized Land from who for Chinese firm.

The Jigawa government took land from farmers to give to Chinese firm for farming.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doIAUtHf8XQ

Even today we have people that ranch their cows in Nigeria. But what I don't believe is the saying that herding is a private business and that they (herdsmen) are the ones to purchase land from state government and use it as reserves.

I disagree with you on that point. Why shouldnt the buy land from state governments. If the governments want to lease it fine. The point is they will pay.

That's what I suggest. Meat, skin etc processing industries should also be constructed by willing private investors or the state itself.

Understood. Btw your comment about government needing to raise prices is unnecessary. The price of beef will probably jump because of all the new input cost of ranching short term. Then the transport cost will increase since they arent herding most likely.

The price wont drop untill the cattle population increases after a few years. The meat production and dairy productiom will jump.

Although Boko Haram have been degradee but it's unwise to do such now as the insurgent might launch surprised attack especially when they heard cattle are being reared. I suggest sambisa should be a long term planing and not immediate solution.

I agree its a meme for now but it seems like a logical end goal. The cows have little grass then they just need to buy feed in dry season.

This should be for those willing to do ranching and not something mandatory. Reserves should be provided by government and not herders.

I can compromise there since you agree its willing states participating. If thats case whats the big deal.
Re: The case for grazing reserves by Kalu Aja by FriendNG: 9:40pm On Jul 08, 2018
Blue3k2:

The Jigawa government took land from farmers to give to Chinese firm for farming.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doIAUtHf8XQ

So you're suggesting the government should illegally seized more land (according to the video you posted)

I disagree with you on that point. Why shouldnt the buy land from state governments. If the governments want to lease it fine. The point is they will pay.

Why should they purchase land? They will not. Either the state government will create the reserve itself and they pay for utilizing it or the federal government will buy the land from State government and make it a national reserves for all people even you. But herdsmen won't pay for it, they are also Nigerians except the few from ecowas region. If the government can create Dam for irrigation y not grazing reserves? Grazing reserves are also national assets.

Grazing reserves are not new, the Sardauna of Sokoto have create such before.

Understood. Btw your comment about government needing to raise prices is unnecessary. The price of beef will probably jump because of all the new input cost of ranching short term. Then the transport cost will increase since they arent herding most likely.

The price wont drop untill the cattle population increases after a few years. The meat production and dairy productiom will jump.

The amount will be increased based on political reasons and not cost of production. Because same people that are rejecting grazing reserves are OK with it when Jonathan allocate 100billion for same. No noise about it but today because a Fulani is the president they are against it. Today because a Muslim is the president CAN are against it.

I agree its a meme for now but it seems like a logical end goal. The cows have little grass then they just need to buy feed in dry season.
Ok

I can compromise there since you agree its willing states participating. If thats case whats the big deal.

That's not my point. I mean to willing farmers that want private ranching and not states.
Re: The case for grazing reserves by Kalu Aja by Blue3k2: 10:37pm On Jul 08, 2018
FriendNG:

So you're suggesting the government should illegally seized more land (according to the video you posted.

Its not illegal under our laws. All land is vested in the state. The government is only obigated by law to pay compensation before work begins.

Why should they purchase land? They will not. Either the state government will create the reserve itself and they pay for utilizing it or the federal government will buy the land from State government and make it a national reserves for all people even you. But herdsmen won't pay for it, they are also Nigerians except the few from ecowas region. If the government can create Dam for irrigation y not grazing reserves? Grazing reserves are also national assets.

Grazing reserves are not new, the Sardauna of Sokoto have create such before.

The land should be purchased if its a private sale or youll have to lease it from private entity. Thats how it works for every farmer, rancher or business owner. Unless government wants to give you land.

Herdsman are more than able to do buy land. They just dont want to change lifestyle or business model. Thats how the other ranchers, farmers and other private people do it everyday.

Its non issue since willing states and federal land are providing land. Sates like Edo, Osun Ebonyi and Benue already said no and federal government is pushing along fine.

The amount will be increased based on political reasons and not cost of production. Because same people that are rejecting grazing reserves are OK with it when Jonathan allocate 100billion for same. No noise about it but today because a Fulani is the president they are against it. Today because a Muslim is the president CAN are against it.

Ok if you say so. Lol why stop at cattle legislage. Do every agricultural product. If they do I'll gladly eat my words.

That's not my point. I mean to willing farmers that want private ranching and not states.

It would be private if state running it.
Re: The case for grazing reserves by Kalu Aja by FriendNG: 11:16pm On Jul 08, 2018
Blue3k2:

Its not illegal under our laws. All land is vested in the state. The government is only obigated by law to pay compensation before work begins.

I am not in support of such. The government should look for bush.

The land should be purchased if its a private sale or youll have to lease it from private entity. Thats how it works for every farmer, rancher or business owner. Unless government wants to give you land.

Nope. Grazing reserves are natural reserve. No issue of the so called lease or purchase. Any herder who want to voluntarily ranch his cattle can do that just like the President or Ganduje. They have private ranches.

Herdsman are more than able to do buy land. They just dont want to change lifestyle or business model. Thats how the other ranchers, farmers and other private people do it everyday.

It is not the issue of affordability rather it is a matter of choice to do or not to do. We have many farmers who can afford to construct boreholes for irrigation yet the government provide dams. Y not grazing reserves?

Its non issue since willing states and federal land are providing land. Sates like Edo, Osun Ebonyi and Benue already said no and federal government is pushing along fine.

Yes they have the right to reject it but my point still remain that, in states that are ok with grazing reserves the federal government will fund it and not herders.

Ok if you say so. Lol why stop at cattle legislage. Do every agricultural product. If they do I'll gladly eat my words.

Nope. The retaliation will be majorly on cow products since the fight revolves around cattle.

It would be private if state running it.

You are still not getting it. Let me paste your post

Blue3k2:

The other option is work with willing states like its doing and set up low interest loans for ranching business.

and this is my reply.

FriendNG:

Meaning even when states set up low interest loans for ranching it has nothing to do with the issue of grazing reserves. Herders who are voluntarily interested in private ranching can utilize such offer from the state government but that dosent mean the issue of open grazing is solved. The government has to provide Nigeria owned grazing reserves just like it provide Nigeria owned irrigation dams.
Re: The case for grazing reserves by Kalu Aja by Blue3k2: 11:46pm On Jul 08, 2018
FriendNG:

Nope. Grazing reserves are natural reserve. No issue of the so called lease or purchase. Any herder who want to voluntarily ranch his cattle can do that just like the President or Ganduje. They have private ranches.

It is not the issue of affordability rather it is a matter of choice to do or not to do. We have many farmers who can afford to construct boreholes for irrigation yet the government provide dams. Y not grazing reserves?

Grazing reserves fall into private sector business. The who country doesnt need to subsize business because they arent willing to invest. We dont for every other ranch farmer and individual.

[/quote]
Yes they have the right to reject it but my point still remain that, in states that are ok with grazing reserves the federal government will fund it and not herders.[/quote]

Herdsmen are going to fund it. Every press statement says they will pay a fee for services. They will also pay taxes so thats false.

Typo. I meant it would not be private if goverment owned. Osun already set up ranch years ago for example. Akwa plans to asweell.

Meaning even when states set up low interest loans for ranching it has nothing to do with the issue of grazing reserves. Herders who are voluntarily interested in private ranching can utilize such offer from the state government but that dosent mean the issue of open grazing is solved. The government has to provide Nigeria owned grazing reserves just like it provide Nigeria owned irrigation dams.

The fedeal government plans on doing low interest as well. I get point though. The issue of open grazing doesnt go away since open grazing not illegal in majority of states. Theres nothing that stop then from grazing or herding cattle anyway. Don't farmers pay water bill to federal government for service? (It would be dumb but not shocking if they didnt.)
Re: The case for grazing reserves by Kalu Aja by Blue3k2: 11:52pm On Jul 08, 2018
FriendNG:

Is Ganduje doing this for free. Even better they should run there as soon as its ready.

Grazing reserves fall into private sector business. The who country doesnt need to subsize business because they arent willing to invest. We dont for every other ranch farmer and individual.

[/quote]
Yes they have the right to reject it but my point still remain that, in states that are ok with grazing reserves the federal government will fund it and not herders.[/quote]

Herdsmen are going to fund it. Every press statement says they will pay a fee for services. They will also pay taxes so thats false.

Typo. I meant it would not be private if goverment owned. Osun already set up ranch years ago for example. Akwa plans to asweell.

The fedeal government plans on doing low interest as well. I get point though. The issue of open grazing doesnt go away since open grazing not illegal in majority of states. Theres nothing that stop then from grazing or herding cattle anyway. Don't farmers pay water bill to federal government for service? (It would be dumb but not shocking if they didnt.)

1 Like

Re: The case for grazing reserves by Kalu Aja by Efewestern: 12:05am On Jul 09, 2018
FriendNG:

... And also in another reprisal we will make it difficult for non indegine to obtain land in states like Kano except those that will set companies. Land laws for building houses, shops, will be tightened. You cannot be living and earning in peoples land and at the same castigating same people in your own land because someone told u dey will islamize u. Yet they have not for over 50 years.

You are not making sense, The Southerners working in Kano don't go about killing people, Believe me should you apply such measures your people will be at the mercy of the southerners.

1 Like

Re: The case for grazing reserves by Kalu Aja by FriendNG: 12:11am On Jul 09, 2018
Blue3k2:

Is Ganduje doing this for free. Even better they should run there as soon as its ready.

We are not on the same page here. You are joining You are joining two different things here.

1. I dont agree with asking farmers to purchase land for grazing. My stand is government should provide land. Hence the issue of purchasing or leasing land in the name of ending open grazing does not arrize.
2. Private ranching is should be voluntarily. I sight example with how Ganduje and Buhari are voluntarily ranching their cows.

I am not saying Ganduje is offering free ranch.

I did not understand the point here. Grazing reserves should be construct by government how is that private?

Herdsmen are funding what? Where did you see such? They are not funding anything. 10BN have already been sloted by federal government in 2018 budget to established grazing reserves. If government decided to charge fee for grazing on it reserves it is understandable just the way it charge money for it zoos and game reserves.

Ofcourse who want it to be private? It should be owned and controlled by government. Dams are not private also.

Lets assume they pay. It will be small amount compared to boreholes. The government should create grazing reserves and ask herdsmen to pay similar amount like that of farmers if at all farmers pay. But the question is, who fund the dam? Government.
Re: The case for grazing reserves by Kalu Aja by FriendNG: 12:15am On Jul 09, 2018
Efewestern:

You are not making sense, The Southerners working in Kano don't go about killing people, Believe me should you apply such measures your people will be at the mercy of the southerners.

The issue here is nt about killing or not killing bloodthirsty man. Its about business retaliation economically and politically.
Mercy at whose hand? Northerners dont go about constructing brothel, clubs, shops in you regions? Do they?

You will be at the mercy of Northerners rather if you dont know. Even after pogrom in 1960s you guys still crawled back from your landlock region.
Re: The case for grazing reserves by Kalu Aja by Efewestern: 12:41am On Jul 09, 2018
FriendNG:

The issue here is nt about killing or not killing bloodthirsty man. Its about business retaliation economically and politically.
Mercy at whose hand? Northerners dont go about constructing brothel, clubs, shops in you regions? Do they?

You will be at the mercy of Northerners rather if you dont know. Even after pogrom in 1960s you guys still crawled back from your landlock region.

The issue is about the killing, you cannot be threatening others for refusing to give their ancestral land for some grazing stuff with some economic sanctions and you expect them to keep quiet when we know how parasitic the core north is to Nigeria, Should you make any of such attempt, then forget about collecting your usual monthly bailout from Abuja, as is it now the North Central are fast Leaving your grip, Every oil well own by any northerners will be revoked, those working in our oil field will be sent back, we will chase each and every one of you back to your enclave, you are the least region to threaten any body with economic sanctions. "LION THEY TALK cat self one raise shoulder".

And by the way my region is not "landlocked", even if it's landlocked that still won't make it as underdevelop, Take it from me, we are all tired of these herdsmen and their killings, no body is ready to give up his ancestral land for any reason whatsoever, if you can't ranch then you back to your village and roam the way you feel like roaming.

1 Like

Re: The case for grazing reserves by Kalu Aja by FriendNG: 12:54am On Jul 09, 2018
Efewestern:

The issue is about the killing, you cannot be threatening others for refusing to give their ancestral land for some grazing stuff with some economic sanctions and you expect them to keep quiet when we know how parasitic the core north is to Nigeria, Should you make any of such attempt, then forget about collecting your usual monthly bailout from Abuja, as is it now the North Central are fast Leaving your grip, Every oil well own by any northerners will be revoked, those working in our oil field will be sent back, we will chase each and every one of you back to your enclave, you are the least region to threaten any body with economic sanctions. "LION THEY TALK cat self one raise shoulder".

And by the way my region is not "landlocked", even if it's landlocked that still won't make it as underdevelop, Take it from me, we are all tired of these herdsmen and their killings, no body is ready to give up his ancestral land for any reason whatsoever, if you can't ranch then you back to your village and roam the way you feel like roaming.

Funny. Wealth from Abuja is for federal government likewise oil well. You cannot do anything about that. You should look for economic sanction by what you have as individuals or state government because you owned no oil but FG does.

Which 1 is north Central? Kogi, Niger, Nassarawa not to talk of Abuja are always with the rest of the north so what nonsense are you talking. 50% of Plateau state also. You can only takeaway benue and Kwara.

Which state are you from that your region is not landlocked? Your southern Nigeria is not structurally more developed than northern Nigeria.

Hypocrite am yet to see opposition about grazing reserves from u guys when a southern Christian is our leader.

You cannot sanction the north but the north will sanction you.
Re: The case for grazing reserves by Kalu Aja by Efewestern: 6:54am On Jul 09, 2018
FriendNG:

Funny. Wealth from Abuja is for federal government likewise oil well. You cannot do anything about that. You should look for economic sanction by what you have as individuals or state government because you owned no oil but FG does.

Which 1 is north Central? Kogi, Niger, Nassarawa not to talk of Abuja are always with the rest of the north so what nonsense are you talking. 50% of Plateau state also. You can only takeaway benue and Kwara.

Which state are you from that your region is not landlocked? Your southern Nigeria is not structurally more developed than northern Nigeria.

Hypocrite am yet to see opposition about grazing reserves from u guys when a southern Christian is our leader.

You cannot sanction the north but the north will sanction you.

You started this economic nonsense of a thing, you can't eat your cake and have it, I repeat should you try any nonsense then be ready to go hungry, cous I know 96% of your states depends on FG monthly Bailout. The resources in my land belongs to my people not the Federal government, the fight for resource control is gaining weight everyday, very soon we will push for that with support from Benue and Pleatue.

You keep screaming about my state, in your ignorant mind anybody that opposes your madness is from a certain region in Nigeria, you are not even more pro Nigerian than I am, but I just need to tell you the truth, the herdsmen are bringing destruction instead of development to our land and we can't allow them anymore, and beside I'm from one of those states from the Delta.

1 Like

Re: The case for grazing reserves by Kalu Aja by FriendNG: 10:20am On Jul 09, 2018
Efewestern:

You started this economic nonsense of a thing, you can't eat your cake and have it, I repeat should you try any nonsense then be ready to go hungry, cous I know 96% of your states depends on FG monthly Bailout. The resources in my land belongs to my people not the Federal government, the fight for resource control is gaining weight everyday, very soon we will push for that with support from Benue and Pleatue.

You keep screaming about my state, in your ignorant mind anybody that opposes your madness is from a certain region in Nigeria, you are not even more pro Nigerian than I am, but I just need to tell you the truth, the herdsmen are bringing destruction instead of development to our land and we can't allow them anymore, and beside I'm from one of those states from the Delta.

Trash you don't anything in your State? What do you have? Degraded land ? Oil belongs to Nigeria not you. 13% derivation is only for the devastation happening to ur land and not because you own oil.

Instead of chestbeating come get the oil now. You dig no oil, u never work for it and so you cannot claim it.
Re: The case for grazing reserves by Kalu Aja by buharitill2023: 10:31am On Jul 09, 2018
OK
Re: The case for grazing reserves by Kalu Aja by Efewestern: 8:40pm On Jul 09, 2018
FriendNG:

Trash you don't anything in your State? What do you have? Degraded land ? Oil belongs to Nigeria not you. 13% derivation is only for the devastation happening to ur land and not because you own oil.

Instead of chestbeating come get the oil now. You dig no oil, u never work for it and so you cannot claim it.

What do i have in my state?, lol, Good night dude, you are high on some cheap weed, As for the other nonsense you typed, atleast the resources are in my land, you what do you have?, what are you even contributing to Nigeria's purse?, What can you offer?, Apart from terrorism and religious extremism I wonder what you guys are known for, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Bush of parasites.! Spit...

(1) (2) (Reply)

'did Zahra, Yusuf Buhari Do Their Mandatory NYSC Service,’ Reno Omokri / If Ambode Failed Lagosians(apc) Why Vote Buhari Who Failed The Entire Country? / KWARA By- Elesaraki Laments On Twitter As Ajuloopin Of APC Defeats His Candidate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.