Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,501 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:46 AM

Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East (29137 Views)

Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. / 1.2millon Budget For Travelling Out Of Nigeria. / Need Help On Travelling Out Of The Country.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by sureteeboy(m): 5:00pm On Jul 11, 2018
I've met those kind of masquerades in Enugu and Onitsha. Guy, na to run o
Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by Nightmareo07: 5:00pm On Jul 11, 2018
undecided
Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by sonsomegrigbo: 5:02pm On Jul 11, 2018
Things are going really hard for the southeastern people. Nobody should blame them for anything. When your favorite food is no longer available, the available food becomes a favorite.

I really pity them in that region.

Please my people from the northern and South Western Nigeria, let's stop typing igbo amaka. That thing use to pain them to the bone marrow

3 Likes

Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by Turantula(m): 5:02pm On Jul 11, 2018
masquerade na traditional thing na! you for just give them 20 box and they will leave you, or you can equally talk to them that you don't have change to spare and they will move on

1 Like

Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by Sleekfingers: 5:05pm On Jul 11, 2018
I thought they are civilize. Na when they come Lagos their eyes dey open. Awon olori pelebe

1 Like

Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by Nightmareo07: 5:06pm On Jul 11, 2018
horsepower101:
of cus stupid anti Igbo thread makes it to front page instantly

I'm surprised how they move this cock and bull story to FP.. Just becoz it has some anti igbo spat in it. The day I will lay my hand on that particular foolish mod., his name is SORRY

7 Likes

Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by OsuMustGo: 5:07pm On Jul 11, 2018
ItzChinnex:

So Nine (9) of us started a smooth journey with Peace Mass Transit from Imo state to Abuja. We stopped at Obolafor(my apologia for the misspelling) to buy some foods or snacks to keep us busy in the bus. Then all of a sudden, I started seeing market women,who were hustling for their daily breads running, "why were they running?" I asked myself. We were about to move when a masquerade attacked me with fresh large canes, giving me like 4 lashes. What did I do? Am not even based in Enugu, I'm not selling, neither did I come for business; I mean I was just a traveler why should I be flogged? What pained me was that these masquerades are just hungry citizens talking laws into their hands.

What they do is that, they flog you and tell you to give them money, when you don't, they flog you again and again: What kind of a daylight robbery is that? What are the youths in that communities doing about this? Why should Enugu allow this nonsense? The worst part is that they flog both Old and younger hustling women, even children. I mean today isn't even Christmas that might make it look like fun. If Enugu claims to be civilized and wise, this shouldn't be happening in this 21st Century. I mean today I was embarrassed because when it happened, people were watching.

He was lucky his colleagues were there because at that that point of this scenario; he would have smelt his anus.

Na osu people tradition.
Don't mind them.

2 Likes

Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by OsuMustGo: 5:20pm On Jul 11, 2018
TarOrfeek:

Have you finished crying?

Smelt his anus, ko, smell your cowardice ni.

1 Like

Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by Tobyarab(m): 5:24pm On Jul 11, 2018
Your moniker says you are male. Masquerades in the east don't flog adult males. Make this lie believable otherwise come clean that you are female.
Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by lawalosky(m): 5:25pm On Jul 11, 2018
futureenergy:
Probably they are "akatakpa Obollo". It's a seasonal masquerade that comes out every year (I think around July August). Coming to the high way to flog travellers is very silly and barbaric. Some jobless youth trying to intimidate people under different guise. You people should have joined hands to beat them mercilessly.

The rationale behind the tradition had long eroded. I was of the view these things have long been abolished. That's the governor's local government by the way.
will u keep qwaet.
cho cho cho cho cho cho.
when has Orba turn to Obollo afor
Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by Ategberoson(m): 5:30pm On Jul 11, 2018
and after they will be forming Porsche here as if they're civilized, bunch of glorify village people

the 21 century wanted to do same to me at Nnewi then, not until the bike man carrying me told them he's a Corper

3 Likes

Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by YorubaAssasin: 5:49pm On Jul 11, 2018
Awon Okoro Savages! This is the major reason why these uncivilized savages run away from that jungle called SE 9ja. grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by junbi(f): 5:53pm On Jul 11, 2018
They're at ojuelegba under bridge area(lagos) too undecided
Scares me tho embarassed
Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by Homeboiy: 5:56pm On Jul 11, 2018
op your a fool
u should thank your God cos even police can't arrest them

I came from that part so I know what am talking

They can make u hang on air with juju
how I wish my comment came on the first page
I would have shown u some evidence

1 Like

Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by Homeboiy: 5:58pm On Jul 11, 2018
lawalosky:
will u keep qwaet. cho cho cho cho cho cho. when has Orba turn to Obollo afor
Read well before u quote him
that's the governors local government
Udenu local government
The op should be happy
make he go Enugu ezike go argue when masquerade flogs him
Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by BreakupNigeria: 6:03pm On Jul 11, 2018
maestroferddi:
Stupid crave for twisted attention.

This practice happens in almost every part of Nigeria.

It is condemnable/reprehensible but laying emphasis on Enugu smells of infantile mischief.
Don't mind the afonja, I really pity them because Internet has finally changed the game. We will continue to counter their lies and propaganda with facts and figures. Even Lagos still practices the worst form of barbarism in Ikorodu and other places where women are not allowed to come out in the open on certain days!! Masquerade is a common feature in virtually every part of yorubaland and it even recently caused trouble between them and Hausas recently! I wonder why they want East to be like Europe while there region is still stuck in stone age.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by donbenie(m): 6:10pm On Jul 11, 2018
This is what happens when one lacks self preservation instinct,common sense would have told you to be cautious when you notice something odd..some masquerade can jazz you for mere standing up to them.. grin
Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by Fatherofdragons: 6:13pm On Jul 11, 2018
BreakupNigeria:
Don't mind the afonja, I really pity them because Internet has finally changed the game. We will continue to counter their lies and propaganda with facts and figures. Even Lagos still practices the worst form of barbarism in Ikorodu and other places where women are not allowed to come out in the open on certain days!! Masquerade is a common feature in virtually every part of yorubaland and it even recently caused trouble between them and Hausas recently! I wonder why they want East to be like Europe while there region is still stuck in stone age.

U just wrote what I wanted to write.

Their days of falsehood is over and it's paining them to the core.

2 Likes

Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by donbenie(m): 6:15pm On Jul 11, 2018
Ategberoson:
and after they will be forming Porsche here as if they're civilized, bunch of glorify village people

the 21 century wanted to do same to me at Nnewi then, not until the bike man carrying me told them he's a Corper
Keep deceiving yourself,as if there are no flogging Egungun Masquerades in your Communities...Lolz,na all of us dey this Naija.. grin
Egungun:
Egungun is otherwise known as masked ancestors of the Yoruba land which assures the people that the dead are among the living. The festival is set off when the Chief priest of the Egugun Masquerades invokes the spirit of the ancestors ,this act is known as ”Alapi”, it is done when the Egugun masquerade and worshippers dance , drum and are now possessed by the ancestral spirit. The Egungun masquerade is dressed in colourful regalia with a whip ,which is used to flog anyone in the way of the spirits .

2 Likes

Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by Elliot2(m): 6:18pm On Jul 11, 2018
stop being foolish,op! nigeria is called a culturally diversed country for a reason. so one shouldn't be supprised seeing stuffs like this. therefore,as a visitor u ask ques. abt d tradition of ur new environment,in order to avoid culture shock..
Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by Ziggylady(f): 6:19pm On Jul 11, 2018
TarOrfeek:

Have you finished crying?

Smelt his anus, ko, smell your cowardice ni.

grin cheesy
Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by Edoziesmart(m): 6:24pm On Jul 11, 2018
Useless thread making front page.
I can see you barely travel out from your state since you were young.

Masqurade are every where in this country and have different rules guiding them.
The masqurade flogged you cus he thought you an indigine of the villa that wants to claim hit man when others are running.
You are lucky is not onitsha masqurade that you met, your story would have change by now after thoroghly flogging you. Oops!

Anyway run anytime you see others running cus of masqurade attack.
Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by donbenie(m): 6:30pm On Jul 11, 2018
YorubaAssasin:
Awon Okoro Savages! This is the major reason why these uncivilized savages run away from that jungle called SE 9ja. grin grin
Egungun:
Egungun is otherwise known as masked ancestors of the Yoruba land which assures the people that the dead are among the living. The festival is set off when the Chief priest of the Egugun Masquerades invokes the spirit of the ancestors ,this act is known as ”Alapi”, it is done when the Egugun masquerade and worshippers dance , drum and are now possessed by the ancestral spirit. The Egungun masquerade is dressed in colourful regalia with a WHIP ,which is USED to FLOG ANYONE in the way of the spirits .
Guess your SUFFERSTICATED Brethrens are also SAVAGES.. grin
Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by flex04(m): 6:32pm On Jul 11, 2018
ItzChinnex:

Then all of a sudden, I started seeing market women,who were hustling for their daily breads running, "why were they running?" I asked myself.

my guy bring better topic come nairaland joor... let me assume u re a lagosian, so u no know say as a lagos boi wen you see everyone run , u too MUST run

ItzChinnex:

We were about to move when a masquerade attacked me with fresh large canes, giving me like 4 lashes. What did I do? Am not even based in Enugu, I'm not selling, neither did I come for business; I mean I was just a traveler why should I be flogged?

see talk ooo, na now u suppose run angry angry angry

you no browse befr you go
Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by anthony86(m): 6:33pm On Jul 11, 2018
This is nothing new it happens all over most southern Nigerian communities.
Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by YorubaAssasin: 6:33pm On Jul 11, 2018
donbenie:
Egungun:
Egungun is otherwise known as masked ancestors of the Yoruba land which assures the people that the dead are among the living. The festival is set off when the Chief priest of the Egugun Masquerades invokes the spirit of the ancestors ,this act is known as ”Alapi”, it is done when the Egugun masquerade and worshippers dance , drum and are now possessed by the ancestral spirit. The Egungun masquerade is dressed in colourful regalia with a whip ,which is used to flog anyone in the way of the spirits .
Guess your SUFFERSTICATED Brethrens are also SAVAGES.. grin

We do it to celebrate our very rich and superior culture! UNLIKE you Savages and Cannibals! grin

1 Like

Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by lawalosky(m): 6:33pm On Jul 11, 2018
Homeboiy:

Read well before u quote him
that's the governors local government
Udenu local government
The op should be happy
make he go Enugu ezike go argue when masquerade flogs him
enugu ezike. no sane person will try such with them..
Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by donbenie(m): 6:37pm On Jul 11, 2018
YorubaAssasin:

We do it to celebrate our very rich and superior culture! UNLIKE you Savages and Cannibals! grin
Oh,so the Egugun flogs anybody that gets in its way as a celebration of your Rich culture and when it's done in the SE it's because we are SAVAGES.. grin

1 Like

Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by flex04(m): 6:41pm On Jul 11, 2018
lawalosky:

enugu ezike.
no sane person will try such with them..

careful dude you never can tell
Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by consultancy: 6:47pm On Jul 11, 2018
words of a coward! after they've finished pummelling you, you came here to cry. Na Joke Ooo!! grin
Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by lonelydora: 6:49pm On Jul 11, 2018
ItzChinnex:

So Nine (9) of us started a smooth journey with Peace Mass Transit from Imo state to Abuja. We stopped at Obolafor(my apologia for the misspelling) to buy some foods or snacks to keep us busy in the bus. Then all of a sudden, I started seeing market women,who were hustling for their daily breads running, "why were they running?" I asked myself. We were about to move when a masquerade attacked me with fresh large canes, giving me like 4 lashes. What did I do? Am not even based in Enugu, I'm not selling, neither did I come for business; I mean I was just a traveler why should I be flogged? What pained me was that these masquerades are just hungry citizens talking laws into their hands.

What they do is that, they flog you and tell you to give them money, when you don't, they flog you again and again: What kind of a daylight robbery is that? What are the youths in that communities doing about this? Why should Enugu allow this nonsense? The worst part is that they flog both Old and younger hustling women, even children. I mean today isn't even Christmas that might make it look like fun. If Enugu claims to be civilized and wise, this shouldn't be happening in this 21st Century. I mean today I was embarrassed because when it happened, people were watching.

He was lucky his colleagues were there because at that that point of this scenario; he would have smelt his anus.

It is called 'Ori okpa' . A masquerade dressed in white (or it was white) apparel with heavy canes. They usually flog people. Why didn't you run when you see them? You saw people running and refused to run. Do in Rome as Romans do. You are lucky there was no 'agbara' in the cane sef. Your body would have scratched you until you get to Abuja.

That is their culture, whether 21st century or not

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Trump Administration Approves Tougher Visa Vetting, Including Social Media Check / 2-Day Hailstorm Hits Katsina State (Photos) / 2 Months Ago Vs Now: Guy Recovers From Deadly Trailer Accident That Killed All

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.