Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,563 members, 7,820,035 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:49 AM

Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East (29139 Views)

Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. / 1.2millon Budget For Travelling Out Of Nigeria. / Need Help On Travelling Out Of The Country.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by FunnyDude(m): 6:52pm On Jul 11, 2018
That Yeye state I graduated from there
Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by Nobody: 6:58pm On Jul 11, 2018
ItzChinnex:

So Nine (9) of us started a smooth journey with Peace Mass Transit from Imo state to Abuja. We stopped at Obolafor(my apologia for the misspelling) to buy some foods or snacks to keep us busy in the bus. Then all of a sudden, I started seeing market women,who were hustling for their daily breads running, "why were they running?" I asked myself. We were about to move when a masquerade attacked me with fresh large canes, giving me like 4 lashes. What did I do? Am not even based in Enugu, I'm not selling, neither did I come for business; I mean I was just a traveler why should I be flogged? What pained me was that these masquerades are just hungry citizens talking laws into their hands.

What they do is that, they flog you and tell you to give them money, when you don't, they flog you again and again: What kind of a daylight robbery is that? What are the youths in that communities doing about this? Why should Enugu allow this nonsense? The worst part is that they flog both Old and younger hustling women, even children. I mean today isn't even Christmas that might make it look like fun. If Enugu claims to be civilized and wise, this shouldn't be happening in this 21st Century. I mean today I was embarrassed because when it happened, people were watching.

He was lucky his colleagues were there because at that that point of this scenario; he would have smelt his anus.

"" If Enugu claims to be civilized and wise, ""

stop being Silly.

Meanwhile U and ur 8 commuters would have brought 9 very fresh Bulala n challenged dem to a flogging contest; D.
Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by ItzChinnex(m): 7:04pm On Jul 11, 2018
Elliot2:
stop being foolish,op! nigeria is called a culturally diversed country for a reason. so one shouldn't be supprised seeing stuffs like this. therefore,as a visitor u ask ques. abt d tradition of ur new environment,in order to avoid culture shock..

I should Start asking questions when travelling abi?
Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by ItzChinnex(m): 7:06pm On Jul 11, 2018
Edoziesmart:
Useless thread making front page.
I can see you barely travel out from your state since you were young.

Masqurade are every where in this country and have different rules guiding them.
The masqurade flogged you cus he thought you an indigine of the villa that wants to claim hit man when others are running.
You are lucky is not onitsha masqurade that you met, your story would have change by now after thoroghly flogging you. Oops!

Anyway run anytime you see others running cus of masqurade attack.

I was not forming hit. .
Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by YorubaAssasin: 7:14pm On Jul 11, 2018
donbenie:
Oh,so the Egugun flogs anybody that gets in its way as a celebration of your Rich culture and when it's done in the SE it's because we are SAVAGES.. grin

In the civilized region of the Yorubas, they don't flog anyone, they only do shakara to tease. We have rules, laws and ordinances we abide by unlike you savages. grin
Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by LordManor: 7:22pm On Jul 11, 2018
geraldmezi:
I rep Ede-0balla''
such crap don't happen here.

It happens in every part of Nsukka and the neighbouring towns/LGA.
very barbaric.
Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by Edipee(m): 7:33pm On Jul 11, 2018
I served in Udenu LGA. What those lazy Obollo youth did to us even on our NYSC uniform was disheartening to say the least.
Sorry about your sad experience.

1 Like

Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by donbenie(m): 7:58pm On Jul 11, 2018
YorubaAssasin:

In the civilized region of the Yorubas, they don't flog anyone, they only do shakara to tease. We have rules, laws and ordinances we abide by unlike you savages. grin
Really?.keep f00ling yourself..
Guess this excerpt from the BBC is from Afonja haters.. grin
If you no give Egungun money when e jam you for road, e fit flog you with im big cane...grin
Dis pikin dem get power during this festival to flog anybody.. grin
Guy,go sleep jor..you no get anything to yarn.. grin
https://www.bbc.com/pidgin/tori-41024348

Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jul 11, 2018
TarOrfeek:

Have you finished crying?

Smelt his anus, ko, smell your cowardice ni.

This right here is why Nigeria won't move forward

1 Like

Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by calliope(f): 8:20pm On Jul 11, 2018
ItzChinnex:

If Enugu claims to be civilized and wise, this shouldn't be happening in this 21st Century.
So, they should discard their culture because we are in the "21st century"? undecided

which kain of rubbish talk is this one saying eh? sad
FYI, Culture is culture, and it has to be celebrated, whether we are in the 21st century or not.

I was accosted by this same type of "marquerade boys" around oyingbo area just last weekend and i had to plead profusely with them in yoruba, that i dont have money to spare, they insisted, i didnt bulge.. I wasn't flogged but I was drenched by the rain, couple with the time I wasted pleading. That do not give me the alacrity to come online and berate their culture. Who in their right senses does that?! if I knew something like that was going to occur, I would have avoided that route and alternatively take another. You don't come online and say trash about people's culture, it tells alot on the type of education you acquired. Jeez. Get sense abeg.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by dasparrow: 8:49pm On Jul 11, 2018
calliope:

So, they should discard their culture because we are in the "21st century"? undecided

FYI, Culture is culture, and it has to be celebrated, whether we are in the 21st century or not.

I was accosted by this same type of "marquerade boys" around oyinbo area just last weekend and i had to plead profusely with them in yoruba, that i dont have money to spare, they insisted, i didnt bulge.. I wasn't flogged but I was drenched by the rain, couple with the time I wasted pleading. That do not give me the alacrity to come online and berate their culture. Who in their right senses does that?! if I knew something like that was going to occur, I would have avoided that route and alternatively take another. You don't come online and say trash about people's culture, it tells alot on the type of education you acquired. Jeez. Get sense abeg.

What bloody culture? Why must African culture always be so barbaric and cause bodily harm to other human beings? What of the elderly, the disabled and the sick that can't run when they see these animals in humanskin called masquerades, what happens to them?

We should call a spade a spade. What is wrong is wrong. In sane climes, what these masquerades are doing would be considered assault but in Nigeria that useless country, anything goes.

Most Nigerians are just too wicked and aggressive for my liking. And then you wonder why citizens of other countries don't want Nigerians in their country. Most Nigerians just behave like animals and then make excuses for their useless barbaric behaviour by blaming it on culture.

2 Likes

Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by 5ircreepy(m): 8:57pm On Jul 11, 2018
Go to anambara during 'ime-awka' festival
Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by lawalosky(m): 9:28pm On Jul 11, 2018
lonelydora:

It is called 'Ori okpa' . A masquerade dressed in white (or it was white) apparel with heavy canes. They usually flog people. Why didn't you run when you see them? You saw people running and refused to run. Do in Rome as Romans do. You are lucky there was no 'agbara' in the cane sef. Your body would have scratched you until you get to Abuja.

That is their culture, whether 21st century or not
"AGBARA" Dcheesy:
Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by cornel9297: 10:12pm On Jul 11, 2018
those masquerades are called akatakpa obollo.
it is either you give them small change or you run for your dear life.
Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by manci(m): 10:14pm On Jul 11, 2018
This will only happen in biafran jungle .
Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by sexdoll: 10:17pm On Jul 11, 2018
it's our culture.

if you don't like it; don't ever step your foot on our lands again.

in short you get luck say i no wear my oriokpa nsuka costume.

i for flog you tire until you go begin smell your own anus.
Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by CHRISTBUKAS(m): 10:18pm On Jul 11, 2018
geraldmezi:
I rep Ede-0balla''
such crap don't happen here.

My brother, true talk!
Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by Iamthoney(m): 11:34pm On Jul 11, 2018
maestroferddi:
Stupid crave for twisted attention.

This practice happens in almost every part of Nigeria.

It is condemnable/reprehensible but laying emphasis on Enugu smells of infantile mischief.
Thank you sir...he should come down to Lagos
Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by Blessedup: 11:54pm On Jul 11, 2018
Gratefulheart1:
Lol. Pics of where they were beating you or I don't believe it.
Guess u have never been to the east
Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by ItzChinnex(m): 12:39am On Jul 12, 2018
calliope:

I was accosted by this same type of "marquerade boys" around oyinbo area just last weekend and i had to plead profusely with them in yoruba, that i dont have money to spare, they insisted, i didnt bulge.. I wasn't flogged but I was drenched by the rain, couple with the time I wasted pleading. That do not give me the alacrity to come online and berate their culture. Who in their right senses does that?! if I knew something like that was going to occur, I would have avoided that route and alternatively take another. You don't come online and say trash about people's culture, it tells alot on the type of education you acquired. Jeez. Get sense abeg.

Shut up... Oh, so it's a culture to flog abi? How can they just see someone and start flogging without even asking if the person has money... I mean he came from my back am started flogging.. so primitive a culture. If that is by any means culture, then I choose to be cultural-apathy. This is abuse and Law should take it effect: i mean, why would a culture generate harm? Is that how culture of th western worlds are? By flogging the citizens?

1 Like

Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by georgeceekay: 12:45am On Jul 12, 2018
gazilion:

The above was your last post in a nairaland trend.
You were punished for calling the Ooni a small boy!

Bad! Wickedest dig out.
Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by Beneh(m): 12:54am On Jul 12, 2018
That's how they flogged me in Nnewi, until I gave them #10 and the flogging stopped.I almost cried that day.
Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by Abbeybailey(m): 3:29am On Jul 12, 2018
dasparrow:

What bloody culture? Why must African culture always be so barbaric and cause bodily harm to other human beings? What of the elderly, the disabled and the sick that can't run when they see these animals in humanskin called masquerades, what happens to them?

We should call a spade a spade. What is wrong is wrong. In sane climes, what these masquerades are doing would be considered assault but in Nigeria that useless country, anything goes.

Most Nigerians are just too wicked and aggressive for my liking. And then you wonder why citizens of other countries don't want Nigerians in their country. Most Nigerians just behave like animals and then make excuses for their useless barbaric behaviour by blaming it on culture.
Gbam.
Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by Psoul(m): 8:48am On Jul 12, 2018
Bros, when did you come back to the country?
It's like you have bn living ur life in one foreign country like dat.

What u saw at Obollo is their culture. They love it. It works for them. They enjoy the flogging and the running.
It is what makes it fun for them just like you Oro and other culture. Ple from Obollo may not find anything interesting in ur Oro or whatever culture u have.
If u don't like what they are doing, never step ur foot in that land or leave the bus to be on the ground. They will flog u an no heaven will fall. They can't harm u nor flog u if u remain in the bus, but once u are outside, it means that u have accepted the Terms and Conditions therein and have agreed to join the game.

Finally, thank ur star that u did not try any kind of shit with the masquerade. If u had, the story we will be reading now would have bn quite different.
Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by Nobody: 2:23pm On Jul 12, 2018
ItzChinnex:

So Nine (9) of us started a smooth journey with Peace Mass Transit from Imo state to Abuja. We stopped at Obolafor(my apologia for the misspelling) to buy some foods or snacks to keep us busy in the bus. Then all of a sudden, I started seeing market women,who were hustling for their daily breads running, "why were they running?" I asked myself. We were about to move when a masquerade attacked me with fresh large canes, giving me like 4 lashes. What did I do? Am not even based in Enugu, I'm not selling, neither did I come for business; I mean I was just a traveler why should I be flogged? What pained me was that these masquerades are just hungry citizens talking laws into their hands.

What they do is that, they flog you and tell you to give them money, when you don't, they flog you again and again: What kind of a daylight robbery is that? What are the youths in that communities doing about this? Why should Enugu allow this nonsense? The worst part is that they flog both Old and younger hustling women, even children. I mean today isn't even Christmas that might make it look like fun. If Enugu claims to be civilized and wise, this shouldn't be happening in this 21st Century. I mean today I was embarrassed because when it happened, people were watching.

He was lucky his colleagues were there because at that that point of this scenario; he would have smelt his anus.

Sorry, I know how that feels, in the days of our fathers and their fathers before them, masquerades used to be a celebration of culture and a means to entrech sociocultural order, but not anymore, it has been hijacked by mischievous, hungry and lazy youths alike to achieve ill-driven aims, sorry for your ordeal, forget about them. Hope you're good?
Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by ItzChinnex(m): 3:15pm On Jul 12, 2018
SnowJay92:

Sorry, I know how that feels, in the days of our fathers and their fathers before them, masquerades used to be a celebration of culture and a means to entrech sociocultural order, but not anymore, it has been hijacked by mischievous, hungry and lazy youths alike to achieve ill-driven aims, sorry for your ordeal, forget about them. Hope you're good?

Yea bro.. Thanks
Re: Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East by TA4TA4: 5:24pm On Jun 08, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vFPgAZN9Jg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex__6LcJr8E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK8vHw6Cj8g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3SfRRFvVaI

Chai.... I am always excited when masquerade festival in my village is fast approaching.... Indeed culture is sweet

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Trump Administration Approves Tougher Visa Vetting, Including Social Media Check / 2-Day Hailstorm Hits Katsina State (Photos) / British Airways Flight To Germany Mistakenly Lands In Scotland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.