Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,269 members, 7,849,959 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 12:11 PM

Jimmy Carter: "I Believe Jesus Will Approve Gay Marriage" - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Jimmy Carter: "I Believe Jesus Will Approve Gay Marriage" (423 Views)

Jimmy Carter, 99, Makes Two Hour Journey From Hospice To Say Goodbye To His Wife / Gaza Is An Open-air Prison - Fmr USA President, Jimmy Carter (video) / Former US President, Jimmy Carter Enters Hospice Care (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jimmy Carter: "I Believe Jesus Will Approve Gay Marriage" by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:00pm On Jul 11, 2018
Jimmy Carter: 'I Believe Jesus Would Approve of Gay Marriage'
By Jack Davis
July 9, 2018 at 10:56am

Gay marriage would be just fine with Jesus, according to former President Jimmy Carter.

Carter was interviewed Saturday by HuffPost Live. He has recently released a book titled, "A Full Life: Reflections at Ninety."

During the interview, Carter was asked about his views on gay marriage. The former president replied, "(It is) no problem with me. I think everybody should have a right to get married regardless of their sex."

Carter, whose book discusses his faith at length, was asked whether Jesus would approve of gay marriage.

"I don’t have any verse in Scripture," Carter said, later adding, "I believe that Jesus would approve of gay marriage."

"I think Jesus would encourage any love affair if it was honest and sincere and was not damaging to anyone else and I don't see that gay marriage damages anyone else," he said, according to USA Today.

Carter said, however, that a faith community should not be forced to perform a same-sex marriage if the church in question is opposed to gay marriage.

"The only thing I would draw a line on," he said, is that "I wouldn't be in favor of the government being able to force a local church congregation to perform gay marriages if they didn't want to. But those two partners should be able to go to a local courthouse or to a different church and get married."

Carter's liberal views are nothing new. In 2009, he severed his ties with the Southern Baptist Convention claiming the church discriminates against women. In a 2012 interview, he said he supported civil ceremonies for gays and affirmed his belief that no individual church should be forced to conduct a ceremony if it did not want to do so.

"Homosexuality was well known in the ancient world, well before Christ was born, and Jesus never said a word about homosexuality. In all of his teachings about multiple things — he never said that gay people should be condemned. I personally think it is very fine for gay people to be married in civil ceremonies," Carter told the Huffington Post.

Some took Carter to task on Twitter.

The Hill

@thehill
· 9 Jul
Jimmy Carter: "I believe that Jesus would approve of gay marriage" http://hill.cm/8TvVgyt pic.twitter.com/AVQc78mI7i

Mocha⚜️Sha�kah⚜️Khan™��
@WKid901
so Jimmy Carter im guessing you never heard of the story about the Two angels sent to get Lot the Genesis! or sodom and gomorrah?

2:44 PM - Jul 9, 2018
See Mocha⚜️Sha�kah⚜️Khan™��'s other Tweets
Twitter Ads info and privacy

Although Carter portrayed Jesus as aligned with liberals on gay marriage, this was not the case on abortion, Breitbart reported.

"I have had a problem with abortion. This has been a long-time problem of mine," Carter said.

"I have a hard time believing that Jesus would approve abortions unless it was because of rape or incest or if the mother’s life was in danger," he said.

Carter said as president, he could not act upon his personal views.

"I've had that struggle, but my oath of office was to obey the Constitution and the laws of this country as interpreted by the Supreme Court, so I went along with that," he said, according to Newsmax.

Despite that, Carter said during the interview that he never experienced "any really serious conflicts between my political obligations and my religious faith."

https://www.westernjournal.com/jimmy-carter-i-believe-jesus-approve-gay-marriage/
Re: Jimmy Carter: "I Believe Jesus Will Approve Gay Marriage" by Lozano: 4:04pm On Jul 11, 2018
The Democratic party are promoters of all manner of abominations both the imaginable and unimaginable
Re: Jimmy Carter: "I Believe Jesus Will Approve Gay Marriage" by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:47pm On Jul 11, 2018
Lozano:

The Democratic party are promoters of all manner of abominations both the imaginable and unimaginable

That is true. cool

Re: Jimmy Carter: "I Believe Jesus Will Approve Gay Marriage" by panafrican(m): 1:35am On Jul 12, 2018
Never listen to those types of leaders

Once someone dtart saying " Gay people are dping their thing between them, it is their personal lie";
stay way from thst person.
Today due to gay people' s virulent campaign, counter clerks are loding their jobs or beeing threaten to go jail.Many comanies are getting sued, maindtream media, the world bank, the European union, the UN's so-called human right group and the international monetray fund are threatening countries.
Re: Jimmy Carter: "I Believe Jesus Will Approve Gay Marriage" by Jokerman(m): 9:59am On Jul 12, 2018
Why do these clowns like calling Jesus??
Re: Jimmy Carter: "I Believe Jesus Will Approve Gay Marriage" by sirgalahad26(m): 12:13pm On Jul 12, 2018
OLAADEGBU:
Jimmy Carter: 'I Believe Jesus Would Approve of Gay Marriage'
By Jack Davis
July 9, 2018 at 10:56am

Gay marriage would be just fine with Jesus, according to former President Jimmy Carter.

Carter was interviewed Saturday by HuffPost Live. He has recently released a book titled, "A Full Life: Reflections at Ninety."

During the interview, Carter was asked about his views on gay marriage. The former president replied, "(It is) no problem with me. I think everybody should have a right to get married regardless of their sex."

Carter, whose book discusses his faith at length, was asked whether Jesus would approve of gay marriage.

"I don’t have any verse in Scripture," Carter said, later adding, [s]"I believe that Jesus would approve of gay marriage."[/s]

"I think Jesus would encourage any love affair if it was honest and sincere and was not damaging to anyone else and I don't see that gay marriage damages anyone else," he said, according to USA Today.

Carter said, however, that a faith community should not be forced to perform a same-sex marriage if the church in question is opposed to gay marriage.

"The only thing I would draw a line on," he said, is that "I wouldn't be in favor of the government being able to force a local church congregation to perform gay marriages if they didn't want to. But those two partners should be able to go to a local courthouse or to a different church and get married."

Carter's liberal views are nothing new. In 2009, he severed his ties with the Southern Baptist Convention claiming the church discriminates against women. In a 2012 interview, he said he supported civil ceremonies for gays and affirmed his belief that no individual church should be forced to conduct a ceremony if it did not want to do so.

"Homosexuality was well known in the ancient world, well before Christ was born, and Jesus never said a word about homosexuality. In all of his teachings about multiple things — he never said that gay people should be condemned. I personally think it is very fine for gay people to be married in civil ceremonies," Carter told the Huffington Post.

Some took Carter to task on Twitter.

Although Carter portrayed Jesus as aligned with liberals on gay marriage, this was not the case on abortion, Breitbart reported.

"I have had a problem with abortion. This has been a long-time problem of mine," Carter said.

"I have a hard time believing that Jesus would approve abortions unless it was because of rape or incest or if the mother’s life was in danger," he said.

Carter said as president, he could not act upon his personal views.

"I've had that struggle, but my oath of office was to obey the Constitution and the laws of this country as interpreted by the Supreme Court, so I went along with that," he said, according to Newsmax.

Despite that, Carter said during the interview that he never experienced "any really serious conflicts between my political obligations and my religious faith."

https://www.westernjournal.com/jimmy-carter-i-believe-jesus-approve-gay-marriage/

is he mad or something?! He shouldnt bring all those ideologies of the democractic party here ooo!!!
Re: Jimmy Carter: "I Believe Jesus Will Approve Gay Marriage" by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:37am On Jul 16, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znTO949aPNg

Can a person be a Christian and at the same time a Democrat? undecided

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING NEWS! Gay Sex Legalised By Supreme Court (read Details) / Google’s 22-year Old Software Engineer Found Dead In His Office(photo) / Dubai Has Become a Money Laundering Paradise - T.I

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.