Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,822 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:22 AM

. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / . (3314 Views)

Cold Killed Two Friends In Jos / Advice Needed! Is Unhappiness A Good Reason For Divorce? / In Pains! Your advice needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

. by MrJavaS: 12:37pm On Jul 12, 2018

1 Like

Re: . by Babiod: 12:47pm On Jul 12, 2018
MrJavaS:
Good Day to you all.

I am a young man of 19.I am a 100L computer science student.I had lots of negative experiences with many people.I was stabbed in the back by many people I really trusted.To summarise,I had toxic and fair weather but very few friends.

Due to all of the above,I became a recluse and a full blown introvert.I really enjoyed being alone and often wondered why some people needed constant social stimulation.I enjoy socializing in small doses.But overall I'm cynical and a have a cold demeanor.

Now I'm a university student.We just completed our first semester a few months ago.Throughout the previous semester,I'm a triangular student.I rarely talk to anyone and ignore many of my course mates.However.....i became acquainted with many reliable sources of knowledge including the 48 laws of power that "Isolation is dangerous" .

I know I need to make friends but I just can't seem to have the "everyone is my friend" personality.Most people think I am proud of myself.However I believe being selective about friends isn't a sign of arrogance.

I also don't want to seem too desperate and needy to make a friend.I don't like someone who has wholeheartedly embraced mediocrity.I also want a first class.I need advice from you all.

I'm really disturbed,I work very hard for my grades without any assistance.I'm pretty OK being on my own.But we humans are social creatures.

I'll appreciate if this is moved to front page.
I was just like u wen I entered school infact even much younger than you sef,d problem is with you, who said u need to trust friends in the first place,make friends,hold your ground on your thoughts and actions,don't compromise,ur first friend is your book it doesn't fail,then when your result comes out,look for who topped you in class,stylishly make him your friends,but just make sure U're competing with him in your mind and stay focused.leave girl matter for now abeg,even if u don get crush...lol

1 Like

Re: . by sexymoma(f): 1:00pm On Jul 12, 2018
Pple like you, i sabi your type
dem go ask you questions for exam hall, u go frown face, u nor go answer
person go sit with you for exam hall u go cover book
test nko for class, u go dey find single chair to sit untop
why u come dey complain say nor get friends
angry
Mind you, been an introvert doesn't mean you can't have friends
if you are kind and friendly, pple would like to associate.

9 Likes

Re: . by MrJavaS: 1:13pm On Jul 12, 2018
sexymoma:
angry
Thanks,I'll try to be more friendly,
Re: . by MrJavaS: 3:26pm On Jul 12, 2018
Babiod:

I was just like u wen I entered school infact even much younger than you sef,d problem is with you, who said u need to trust friends in the first place,make friends,hold your ground on your thoughts and actions,don't compromise,ur first friend is your book it doesn't fail,then when your result comes out,look for who topped you in class,stylishly make him your friends,but just make sure U're competing with him in your mind and stay focused.leave girl matter for now abeg,even if u don get crush...lol
I haven't talked to any female yet.But I'm interested in getting to know one I have observed.
Re: . by Babiod: 5:22pm On Jul 12, 2018
MrJavaS:

I haven't talked to any female yet.But I'm interested in getting to know one I have observed.
forget any girlfriend for nau,I dey tell you,if na only friend I free u.dey can be huge distraction,time go don go if u let anything happen.
Re: . by Saff(f): 5:37pm On Jul 12, 2018
You cant make it through university on your own it’s impossible. Even if it’s just a few friends on your course, you need to do it. No man is an island. Even when you leave uni, you need to build connections with people to build yourself up the career ladder. Better force yourself now and learn before it gets tough for you. Thank God you’re still in first year use it to your advantage. There’s a difference between being introverted and completely isolating yourself from people. Over the years whilst in uni I became quite introverted due to experiences. But I always had friends on my course, social friends and friends that I lived with. It is well.

1 Like

Re: . by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jul 12, 2018
sexymoma:

angry

So that's the conclusion you came to shocked

You must have really been an olodo in school grin

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: . by MrJavaS: 6:49pm On Jul 12, 2018
Saff:
You cant make it through university on your own it’s impossible. Even if it’s just a few friends on your course, you need to do it. No man is an island. Even when you leave uni, you need to build connections with people to build yourself up the career ladder. Better force yourself now and learn before it gets tough for you. Thank God you’re still in first year use it to your advantage. There’s a difference between being introverted and completely isolating yourself from people. Over the years whilst in uni I became quite introverted due to experiences. But I always had friends on my course, social friends and friends that I lived with. It is well.
Thanks....I'll try.
Re: . by Donald3d(m): 9:10pm On Jul 12, 2018
GODPUNISHUNA:

So that's the conclusion you came to shocked

You must have really been an olodo in school grin

Re: . by Donald3d(m): 9:12pm On Jul 12, 2018
I am also an introvert
The thing is, just be yourself, the right and wrong people would come to you.Just choose wisely and don't settle for less
No matter how quiet you are , people would come to you, I repeat be yourself.Being an introvert has so so many advantages, I am a testimony to that.Again, the right people would come along eventually

5 Likes

Re: . by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:14am On Jul 13, 2018
There is not a friend like Jesus...

My advice to you: Associate with people without getting the typical "friends" for the sustenance of your sanity

3 Likes

Re: . by Wilfredpat22(f): 7:54am On Jul 13, 2018
Try to associate with people. You are a nobody and nobody knows you so stop feeling important or entitled

2 Likes

Re: . by zexy2030(m): 8:00am On Jul 13, 2018
Wilfredpat22:
Try to associate with people. You are a nobody and nobody knows you so stop feeling important or entitled
undecided

5 Likes

Re: . by oluplus(m): 8:31am On Jul 13, 2018
Just work hard on your G.P and see how everybody will want to be your friend

6 Likes

Re: . by MrJavaS: 8:50am On Jul 13, 2018
oluplus:
Just work hard on your G.P and see how everybody will want to be your friend
Thanks,
Re: . by JARUSHUB: 1:15pm On Jul 13, 2018
MrJavaS:
Good Day to you all.

I am a young man of 19.I am a 100L student.I had lots of negative experiences with many people.I was stabbed in the back by many people I really trusted.To summarise,I had toxic and fair weather but very few friends.

Due to all of the above,I became a recluse and a full blown introvert.I really enjoyed being alone and often wondered why some people needed constant social stimulation.I enjoy socializing in small doses.But overall I'm cynical and a have a cold demeanor.

Now I'm a university student.We just completed our first semester a few months ago.Throughout the previous semester,I'm a triangular student.I rarely talk to anyone and ignore many of my course mates.However.....i became acquainted with many reliable sources of knowledge including the 48 laws of power that "Isolation is dangerous" .

I know I need to make friends but I just can't seem to have the "everyone is my friend" personality.Most people think I am proud of myself.However I believe being selective about friends isn't a sign of arrogance.

I also don't want to seem too desperate and needy to make a friend.I don't like someone who has wholeheartedly embraced mediocrity.I also want a first class.I need advice from you all.

I'm really disturbed,I work very hard for my grades without any assistance.I'm pretty OK being on my own.But we humans are social creatures.

I'll appreciate if this is moved to front page.

Hello MrJavaS,

You need to be "open" to everyone but choose your friends properly. Yes, you are right about not allowing mediocres into your life, but then you need associate with various people to understand life better and develop your EQ. If you continue like this, you would face difficulties passing assessment centre exercises of various companies because by then, you would have developed:

- Stage fright in the midst of people.
- Unnecessary unfriendliness.
- Not able to converse well with people from different walks of life.
- Come across as being arrogant by persons. Perception plays a great role in human relationships.

...and many others.

You are done with 100L, focus squarely on the remaining years and strive to graduate with a first class - which is possible irrespective of the school or department. While you might become the cynosure of all eyes when you perform well, be wary of hangovers and people who can implicate you especially during tests/examinations.

These articles might be of help to you:

How to make a first class in the university

Mistakes that can cost you a first class degree

A JAMBITE's guide to academic success

But then, there are 'disadvantages' of being a first class graduate, especially in Nigeria:

Disadvantages of being a first class graduate in Nigeria

Best wishes. smiley
Re: . by MrJavaS: 2:16pm On Jul 13, 2018
JARUSHUB:

Hello MrJavaS,

You need to be "open" to everyone but choose your friends properly. Yes, you are right about not allowing mediocres into your life, but then you need associate with various people to understand life better and develop your EQ. If you continue like this, you would face difficulties passing assessment centre exercises of various companies because by then, you would have developed:

- Stage fright in the midst of people.
- Unnecessary unfriendliness.
- Not able to converse well with people from different walks of life.
- Come across as being arrogant by persons. Perception plays a great role in human relationships.

...and many others.

You are done with 100L, focus squarely on the remaining years and strive to graduate with a first class - which is possible irrespective of the school or department. While you might become the cynosure of all eyes when you perform well, be wary of hangovers and people who can implicate you especially during tests/examinations.

These articles might be of help to you:

How to make a first class in the university

Mistakes that can cost you a first class degree

A JAMBITE's guide to academic success

But then, there are 'disadvantages' of being a first class graduate, especially in Nigeria:

Disadvantages of being a first class graduate in Nigeria

Best wishes. smiley
Thank you very much,I really appreciate.
Re: . by Nobody: 5:43pm On Jul 13, 2018
Young man try to make friends,but don't get drowned in the process.

School is not only about the grades,it involves the adventures,the laughs,the quarrels,the beers,the girls etc.

These aforementioned can only be done with friends, but choose them wisely
Re: . by InansBobo(m): 6:43pm On Jul 13, 2018
I'm here to read comments so I'd learn
Re: . by ImaIma1(f): 10:29pm On Jul 13, 2018
Just free yourself and not be too uptight.

Don't expect too much from people...anticipate their let down

Don't take yourself too seriously so that you can be approachable.

You will be fine

1 Like

Re: . by mimimile93: 1:16am On Jul 14, 2018
ImaIma1:
You will be fine
Mpo aba'diah?
Re: . by MrJavaS: 5:47am On Jul 14, 2018
ImaIma1:

You will be fine
Exactly,no one has approached me yet
Re: . by yvesboss(m): 5:54am On Jul 14, 2018
Since this is your first semester no problem, all will fall into place as time goes by. Just be positive and don't fight it
Re: . by ImaIma1(f): 7:45am On Jul 14, 2018
mimimile93:

Mpo aba'diah?

Idioko oo
Re: . by ImaIma1(f): 7:54am On Jul 14, 2018
MrJavaS:

Exactly,no one has approached me yet

The vibes you are giving might repel them. No one wants to be embarrassed.

If you handle it, you should try joining some activities like sports, department/faculty politics, etc.

Just make a conscious effort to be amiable and pleasant.
Re: . by mostyg(m): 10:57pm On Jul 14, 2018
Whenever you notice someone is trying to get your attention, do him/ her a favour by making it easy for such a person.

Liking someone status or dropping a comment could go a long way in making such a person important.
Re: . by peacengine(m): 5:44am On Jul 15, 2018
Bro focus on ya books. Nnah who be friend sef? They'll come when they see ya GPA scores.
Re: . by Ishilove: 6:23am On Jul 15, 2018
MrJavaS:

Thanks,
Your primary responsibility is your books. Work hard and make sure you keep getting good grades. There is absolutely nothing wrong being introverted, but don't be cold. When people want to associate with you, give them a smile, don't snub but choose wisely. You are not a monster so people will not run away from you; rather it is your personality and achievements that will determine if they will be attracted or repelled.

I'm an introvert myself but I was able to keep a very small circle of friends throughout my years in the university. This friends hung around me because I was of immense value to them, and till date we still communicate (even though I am no longer as close to them. It's not them, it's me).

The summary is this- don't be aloof when people come to you. Even if you don't become friends with them, make them aquaintances. It will help develop your social skills.

3 Likes

Re: . by Chubhie: 7:57am On Jul 15, 2018
Stay focused and committed to your studies which is your first priority.

Spot and build strategic networks which is important beyond the university walls.

If you are in the first generation of private universities in Nigeria, increase your network ratio and if state or federal university, decrease the ratios.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: . by rorawuretu: 5:22pm On Aug 02, 2018
Learn To Turn Any Room Into a Stunning Work of Art. Attend the Powerful ICT-CENTRIC 3D EPOXY Training!

Re: . by elmagnifico411(m): 5:54pm On Aug 02, 2018
Uncle, as the first guy have rightly commented, let your book be your best friend cos it never fails. Having said that, it's crystal clear that you're book smart, but, my guy, u need friends to make it through. U need the good ones, and even the bad ones.. as u pass through Uni, allow Uni to pass through u too, but maintain your stand in any issue u find yourself.

Me dey like guys that are book smart, outgoing, friendly, do movies, street wise, and sabi chop life once in a while. Trust me, u need these things, but firstly, use your first year and sophomore year build your GP, by then u go don balance well and can be like what I mentioned above, cos you'd sure need them when u eventually graduate and land your dream job.

Nowadays, companies no dey just higher guys wey be sey na only book them sabi oh. Be wise.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Should Our Children's Cartoon Encourage Homosexuality?(photo) / Request To Delete Threads!! / Twins Fathered By 2 Men - What Is Wrong With Black People?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.