Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,329 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:54 AM

Senate Moves To Unbundle Police - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Moves To Unbundle Police (27320 Views)

FG To Unbundle 11 Discos, Orders Sale Of Four / FG May Unbundle Discos Swap Stakes With States - Adelabu / FG Sets Up Team To Unbundle Railways (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate Moves To Unbundle Police by bewla(m): 8:06pm On Jul 12, 2018
er
Re: Senate Moves To Unbundle Police by Bruemath(m): 8:06pm On Jul 12, 2018
nice one
Re: Senate Moves To Unbundle Police by davillian(m): 8:06pm On Jul 12, 2018
grin
Re: Senate Moves To Unbundle Police by Kingspin(m): 8:06pm On Jul 12, 2018
Let the wish of the people be done that is the only way Nigeria can move forward.

Unbundle everything in Nigeria jor.
Re: Senate Moves To Unbundle Police by KanwuliaExtra: 8:06pm On Jul 12, 2018
This would be wonderful.

Indigenes of that state should be PART of that state’s police force too! kiss

No more direct command from the IGP! kiss

Next, DECENTRALIZE THE MILITARY!
Every geopolitical zone MUST have it’s own military base! kiss
Re: Senate Moves To Unbundle Police by Nwodosis(m): 8:07pm On Jul 12, 2018
Re: Senate Moves To Unbundle Police by thunder74(m): 8:07pm On Jul 12, 2018
it may not survive......fear north
Re: Senate Moves To Unbundle Police by larryjay123(m): 8:08pm On Jul 12, 2018
This is another drama.
Police is police, The Nigerian senates equally needs to unbundled, Guys, I must confess if u look at this Senate and House of Rep, it looks like they dont ever have any future plan to work on except amending constitution to suit them when out of power.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Moves To Unbundle Police by brainhgeek(m): 8:14pm On Jul 12, 2018
Kamanuozuzu:
#TheZooMustFall We told u!

HEAVEN WILL FALL, IT IS NOT ONLY MY BACKYARD THAT WILL EXPERIENCE IT. YOURS TOO WILL BE AFFECTED.
MIND YOU, THIS NATION CAN NOT BREAK. THE FORCES AND CIRCUMSTANCES BONDING NIGERIA IS MORE THAN HUMAN. #WHONOKNOWNOKNOW

2 Likes

Re: Senate Moves To Unbundle Police by amoduganja: 8:16pm On Jul 12, 2018
loveth360:
I dont know why my boyfriend is still supporting apc.
Maybe, just may be, he is a slowpoke. If u know u know.
Re: Senate Moves To Unbundle Police by jpphilips(m): 8:31pm On Jul 12, 2018
dre11:

…Bill scale first reading

http://thenationonlineng.net/senate-moves-to-unbundle-police-2/

State governments dont have the resources to send their police to hinterlands where these killings occur, they will only be stupidifying in state capitals as political thugs.
we need local government police if we care about the killings, politicians should stop taking us for a ride.

3 Likes

Re: Senate Moves To Unbundle Police by forayfleo(m): 8:32pm On Jul 12, 2018
God save our nation and help us to achieve any good bill.

1 Like

Re: Senate Moves To Unbundle Police by loswhite(m): 8:43pm On Jul 12, 2018
RussianKGB:
This is a welcome development as it will ensure effective policing of states and better protection of lives and properties.

Also it will help check/curb excessive abuse of the police force by the high-handed executive arm of government.
what about the governors? Are they better than the executive?
Re: Senate Moves To Unbundle Police by zinizta: 8:44pm On Jul 12, 2018
Zimmermann:
Gud move...I dedicate my first ever FTC to de bundling of the terrorist pig in Aso rock back to futa jalon grin

hope you realised it was an APC senator from Lagos State that moved the motion for this bill... are you that illiterate?
Re: Senate Moves To Unbundle Police by zinizta: 8:45pm On Jul 12, 2018
KanwuliaExtra:
This would be wonderful.
Indigenes of that state should be PART of that state’s police force too! kiss
No more direct command from the IGP! kiss
Next, DECENTRALIZE THE MILITARY! Every geopolitical zone MUST have it’s own military base! kiss
geopolitical zones already has their own military base...
Re: Senate Moves To Unbundle Police by KanwuliaExtra: 8:47pm On Jul 12, 2018
zinizta:

geopolitical zones already has their own military base...

Really?
But all training is in the north? undecided
Re: Senate Moves To Unbundle Police by Charly68: 8:52pm On Jul 12, 2018
State police is a good idea but bad politicians may used them against their opponents that is the problem..crime rate will multiply because there will be many states sponsored crime that will lead to inconclusive investigation ..There is crime in trying the experiment anyway

1 Like

Re: Senate Moves To Unbundle Police by zinizta: 8:52pm On Jul 12, 2018
KanwuliaExtra:

Really? But all training is in the north? undecided
so?
Re: Senate Moves To Unbundle Police by Felixv: 8:53pm On Jul 12, 2018
so this basically means we would have 'multiple' police forces..

The plan to amend the Section 214 of the Constitution to accommodate the creation of State Police and Community policing was proposed last week by Ekweremadu.

The amendment is essentially aimed at creating state and community police to complement the efforts of the Nigeria Police

---now who is going to pay for this ... whether we should unbundle the senate and replace them with this idea...

1 Like

Re: Senate Moves To Unbundle Police by KanwuliaExtra: 8:54pm On Jul 12, 2018
zinizta:

so?

Only in Nigeria.
No wonder the only people from Niger and Chad are in the Nigerian army. cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senate Moves To Unbundle Police by zinizta: 9:02pm On Jul 12, 2018
KanwuliaExtra:

Only in Nigeria.
No wonder the only people from Niger and Chad are in the Nigerian army. cheesy

GEJ helped many south south indigenes into the army...credit to him
Re: Senate Moves To Unbundle Police by KanwuliaExtra: 9:04pm On Jul 12, 2018
zinizta:

GEJ helped many south south indigenes into the army...credit to him

There needs to be military schools and police in the south also. Not everything should be in the north. See Police college in Ikeji? cry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut9UxdS5JbY

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senate Moves To Unbundle Police by nwaanambra1(m): 9:07pm On Jul 12, 2018
NIGERIA IS NOT RIPE FOR STATE POLICE!!!

PLEASE NO STATE POLICE!

IT WILL BE WORST THAN FEDERAL POLICE!

POLITICIANS WILL USE IT TO HOUND PERCEIVED ENEMIES!!

PLEASE NO STATE POLICE NOW!!

NIGERIA NEEDS TO BE RESTRUCTURED FIRST, THEN SPLIT INTO REGIONS AFTER WHICH EACH REGION CAN HAVE REGIONAL POLICE WHICH WILL BE ACCOUNTABLE TO THE REGION AND FEDERAL POLICE.

SAY NO STATE POLICE FOR NOW!

1 Like

Re: Senate Moves To Unbundle Police by john650(m): 9:07pm On Jul 12, 2018
I think this bill is ill conceived. Our problem in Nigeria has never been with making laws but enforcing the laws.

The problem with the current policing isn't with the structure, but more with the enforcement. One could argue that the police are poorly trained, poorly paid and poorly funded. I feel that if these areas were addressed properly, we would get better results from the police.

I worry about a police force that answers to the Governor of a state or local government heads. Such structure turns the Governor into the administrative head of a fiefdom where he could use his powers to oppress his political opponents or members of an ethnic group that he is not desirous of. If Nigeria is looking to the US system as a good example of State and community policing, I have to say we are in for a rude awakening. Everyday, we read stories of extra judicial killings of US citizens by the local police or state police force, oftentimes due to the racial polarization of the country. I feel that we should learn from their mistakes and keep our police as is.

Also, how are the different states going to fund the state police force? The states can barely pay workers on its payroll talk of adding police to it.

In the US, the state police is funded from the states budget, while local government policing is funded by property tax from residents. Nigeria does not have a well developed property tax system where every resident pays some form of property tax to the state or town. I say this because our public schools are terrible. It is so bad that most families send their children to private schools, essentially abandoning a public school system that should be providing first rate education to our children. Do you know that in the US, most children graduate from public primary schools because it is well funded by the different towns from property taxes families pay. I also look at our collapsing infrastructure (roads) that are supposed to be maintained by the state and local government, I wonder how we will cope with state policing.

1 Like

Re: Senate Moves To Unbundle Police by KanwuliaExtra: 9:15pm On Jul 12, 2018
Why should THE POLICE BE IN THE POCKET OF POLITICIANS? undecided

Only because they DO NOT KNOW THEIR JOBS! kiss
Re: Senate Moves To Unbundle Police by PDPGuy: 9:16pm On Jul 12, 2018
tunwumi:
Commissioner of police to report Governor to state police service commission? When the Governor pays both and can starve them of funds.

Pure waste

They both could be paid on a first-line charge basis, which would eliminate the need for the Governor to directly approve their salaries.
Re: Senate Moves To Unbundle Police by blessingsystem: 9:16pm On Jul 12, 2018
STOP! Nigerians are not civilized enough for state police.

1 Like

Re: Senate Moves To Unbundle Police by philos(m): 9:24pm On Jul 12, 2018
The down side of this proposal is the replication, in the states, of what is happening now at the Federal level. Since the Police are at the President's beck and call, and can use them to unleash terror on anyone, even the governor, it's not unlikely that the governor's themselves might use the state police to fight their political opponents, and silence critics. It would have otherwise been a completely welcome development, as it would ensure more prompt and proactive interventions in tackling crimes and criminalities in the various states.
Re: Senate Moves To Unbundle Police by Nobody: 9:29pm On Jul 12, 2018
Bravo kiss
Let it come with bits disadvantages too, we will deal with it as at when due. Those afraid of change never see progress in their lives.

Change beget more change and more change until we get it right. Assuming we have been amending some of those stupid draconian constitutions drafted by only one part of the country, by now we would have known how far.
Is it not the same constitution that deliberately didn't mention Christianity when Nigeria is a secular state.
Abeg, we will continue to amend that rubbish called constitution.

1 Like

Re: Senate Moves To Unbundle Police by edupedia: 9:43pm On Jul 12, 2018
Zimmermann:
Gud move...I dedicate my first ever FTC to de bundling of the terrorist pig in Aso rock back to futa jalon grin

....keep scratching the ground like goats.... the Senate is turning many into idiots....
Re: Senate Moves To Unbundle Police by Clentuzbaba(m): 9:59pm On Jul 12, 2018
faridpac2:
why ppl always want insult ppl this is not civilization
Give honor to whom honor is due they say... Also remember to give insult to whom insult is due Thank u.
Re: Senate Moves To Unbundle Police by lascopes(m): 10:10pm On Jul 12, 2018
faridpac2:

why ppl always want insult ppl this is not civilization

What is it called bro?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

We’re Against Atiku For Promising To Restructure Nigeria –ACF Secretary, Sani / Ngige: South East, Not Marginalised / Labour Party Facial Effect On Tiktok (Video, Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.