Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,138 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:52 AM

Importance Of Mosquitoes In The Eco System - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Importance Of Mosquitoes In The Eco System (14541 Views)

How Can I Get Rid Of Mosquitoes? / 5 Types Of People That Easily Attract Mosquitoes / Lady Makes A Collection Of All The Mosquitoes She Has Killed (Pictured) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Importance Of Mosquitoes In The Eco System by Sharpshooota: 5:48pm On Jul 15, 2018
Buhari sef sad
Re: Importance Of Mosquitoes In The Eco System by Namzy(m): 5:48pm On Jul 15, 2018
It has been proven Mosquitoes extinction won't in anyway affect the eco system. All those advantages you listed is been done by other organisms and thus life goes on.

1 Like

Re: Importance Of Mosquitoes In The Eco System by Stevewonder004(m): 5:50pm On Jul 15, 2018
I dont care whateer you termed them to be but buhari alongside the house of senate must declear all the mosquitoes terrorist not only the Igbos,,,,,,, infact they should be the most wanted assassins in DSS wanted list grin,,,,,,,,,,,share for fayemi...... Like for APC a fraud party
Re: Importance Of Mosquitoes In The Eco System by naijacentric(m): 5:52pm On Jul 15, 2018
Dis mosquitoes aint normal oh dey av turn flit to perfume
Re: Importance Of Mosquitoes In The Eco System by SAMBARRY: 6:05pm On Jul 15, 2018
bamdexfarms:

Cockroaches are farmed in China for their medical purposes.
and what is the medical purpose of cockroaches
Re: Importance Of Mosquitoes In The Eco System by permit(m): 6:14pm On Jul 15, 2018
op you i buy your truth with little contribution, mosquitos has provided a lot of job to our society, people made research we got how to prevent mosquito bite (net), this is putting food on the table daily. Mosquito gives you maleria you rush down to chemist and hospital maleria drug or treatment, and so on. Thanks to mosquitos

2 Likes

Re: Importance Of Mosquitoes In The Eco System by VULCAN(m): 6:15pm On Jul 15, 2018
So much false info in one post.

Let me address just one.

Mosquitoes require stagnant water for their larvae so I wonder how many fishes live in stagnant water? Are rivers, streams and oceans now stagnant water?

1 Like

Re: Importance Of Mosquitoes In The Eco System by mrintegrity30(m): 6:19pm On Jul 15, 2018
chiomadim:
I use to ask myself what's is the importance of mosquito in the eco system because I find out no matter how you try you can never completely eradicate those annoying little creatures. from my little research here is what I found out:

1.Mosquitoes are prey,and preys are very important in our complex eco system,the mosquitoes larvae in the sea bodies form those slimy greenish stuff that fishes and other aquatic creatures depend/feed on for survival. Everyone knows the importance of fishes in our diet and business. Water bodies would be empty without fishes that feed on larvae.

2.Mosquitoes aids in pollination of plants,they suck plants juices transferring one very tiny pollen from one plant to another. And we all know the importance of cross pollination.

3.Snakes, anthropoids,lizards,frogs,wall geckos etc prey on mosquitoes.

4.They were made to disturb the heck out of us. yes they are about 3500 species of mosquitoes transferring diseases to humans aside malaria there are other countless diseases transferred by mosquitoes.
According to WHO every year more than one million people die from mosquito related illness worldwide. So therefore mosquitoes help in population control. YES!!!!

So what's is the best method in the prevention of mosquito bites. Across the country the cost of mosquito insecticide is becoming unaffordable, aside the price,prolonged usage of insecticide is detrimental to health(I am not De marketing insecticide o). To me the best mosquito prevention method is the use of treated mosquito nets.

Sometimes I also take my time and physically eliminate them with my hands before sleeping.

Keeping the gutters and our environment clean is another way to eliminate mosquitoes.

N.B: Please if you have an idea of where people can get treated mosquito nets,drop the info in the comment section.
Written by me chiomadim
i can supply u with treated mosquito nets. we can meet one on one for u to access it or I can transfer it to any state u r in (if u will consent to pay d driver on delivery). all d nets r brand new N still sealed. colours available= white and blue
Re: Importance Of Mosquitoes In The Eco System by iAmucheemma(m): 6:21pm On Jul 15, 2018
If they are so important,

Why is UNICEF, W.H.O, WORLD REFUGEE COUNCILS, and different NGO'S spending and budgeting billions of dollars to end mosquitoes?

1 Like

Re: Importance Of Mosquitoes In The Eco System by educhigo: 6:22pm On Jul 15, 2018
no wahala you can first start train mosquitos in your house your story worst than boko haram and fulani hman

1 Like

Re: Importance Of Mosquitoes In The Eco System by Raylight2(m): 6:33pm On Jul 15, 2018
badmrkt:
even cockroaches?
Yes! for paper population control
Re: Importance Of Mosquitoes In The Eco System by krisdzhon: 6:38pm On Jul 15, 2018
gagashuffle:
Op there is no way you can sugar coat it, mosquitoes are terror!

I wonder why Noah had to allow them into the ark.

He was under an instruction ... Lol!

On a serious note, Africa could eradicate mosquitos if they so desire. America had same challenge, but shortly after World War 2, they embarked on the journey towards eradication of mosquitos in America! Mosquito infestation is now history in the US!

Nigeria and Africa could do same...
Re: Importance Of Mosquitoes In The Eco System by sykeng(m): 7:01pm On Jul 15, 2018
Thanks for the research, but mosquito has no importance to human race, do you know malaria endemic regions is correlated with poverty, if you calculate the man hour lost due to malaria infection, school absentism, finance used in buying drugs and keeping up with the preventive methods. these aforementioned effects of malaria on mankind can really improve the economic status of man.

On habitats, mosquito larvae are not found in seas, rather they breed in stagnant water, that is why it is very advisable to discard any empty cans or tyres properly, while bushes harbours them. You may ask how they breed on farmlands, they are so many agricultural activities of human that can lead to water retention eg foot prints, and when mosquito breed they breed in thousands.

It is a fact that male mosquitoes that feeds on nectar can help pollination, we have so many social insect and bees that can perfectly help in that like butterflies, bees and birds, mosquitoes is rarely found in Europe but they are flourishing so well in agriculture. compare to the kinda menace ( west Nile virus, zika virus, lymphatic filariasis aka elephantiasis, chikugunya disease, malaria etc) they cause to mankind, it's best we eradicate mosquito/ malaria.

The use of insecticide is really a problem because of mosquito adaptation and effects on human health, so the best approach is the use of integrated approach, that is clearing of bushes, discarding of empty cans and the use of insecticide treated nets which has proven to be very effective in control of malaria, ITN has the ability to kill mosquitoes because of the insecticide properties the net possesses and also deprive mosquito and human contact, hence preventing them from feeding, we have two types of ITN, conventional treated nets that needs treatment every 6 months and the long lasting insecticide nets that can be treated every 3 to 5 years. chemotherapy should be last resort of malaria control

About the sources of this nets, clinics/ hospitals is the best place to get them, with them you are sure of long lasting insecticide treated nets. it is given for free during antenatal visit for pregnant women because of their susceptibility.

my little contribution.

1 Like

Re: Importance Of Mosquitoes In The Eco System by Emeskhalifa(m): 7:04pm On Jul 15, 2018
gagashuffle:
Op there is no way you can sugar coat it, mosquitoes are terror!

I wonder why Noah had to allow them into the ark.

Asin eh... I visited one village like that, mosquito wire me dat night that i had to wake up and i was so angry with Noah for taking those things inside his boat

1 Like

Re: Importance Of Mosquitoes In The Eco System by francotunsco: 7:11pm On Jul 15, 2018
Mathem insecticide does the magic!
Re: Importance Of Mosquitoes In The Eco System by pacespot(m): 8:42pm On Jul 15, 2018
I'm currently controlling mosquitoes in my area with the insecticide treated net, along with "Raid," we are in the season these insects are most rampant. Mosquitoes gave me a heck of a trouble before I placed these nets in front of our doors. Mosquito's bites demean human life quality in so many ways, once I get bitten once I become less active, less efficient and less interested in whatever I'm doing. The deadly effect of a mosquito's bite can send one into fatigue in a moment, even if it hasn't developed into a malaria infection. So I don't see any benefits of these deadly parasites in human. My own response sign to a mosquito's bite is sneezing, it can come and go profusely just at the time I'm trying to be focused in something, I also think mosquitoes affect human brain based on how my body responds to its bites.

This insect is a nightmare to me.
Re: Importance Of Mosquitoes In The Eco System by Nobody: 9:21pm On Jul 15, 2018
whirlwind7:

I stopped reading when I got to this part.

The "greenish stuff" you referred to is called algae. They are not produced or formed by mosquito larvae. Algae are actually plants (not animals) The green pigment is from chlorophyll.

Wondering if its worth reading any further now. Your first point spoiled it.
I swear. The moderator that pushed this crap to the front-page is as ignorant as the OP.

1 Like

Re: Importance Of Mosquitoes In The Eco System by Slimsly100(f): 9:42pm On Jul 15, 2018
badmrkt:
even cockroaches?

I think so cos I once heard that some of our malaria drugs are produced with them. grin
Re: Importance Of Mosquitoes In The Eco System by badmrkt(m): 10:46pm On Jul 15, 2018
Slimsly100:

I think so cos I once heard that some of our malaria drugs are produced with them. grin
which of the drugs exactly?
Re: Importance Of Mosquitoes In The Eco System by Orpe7(m): 11:09pm On Jul 15, 2018
chiomadim:
I use to ask myself what's is the importance of mosquito in the eco system because I find out no matter how you try you can never completely eradicate those annoying little creatures. from my little research here is what I found out:

1.Mosquitoes are prey,and preys are very important in our complex eco system,the mosquitoes larvae in the sea bodies form those slimy greenish stuff that fishes and other aquatic creatures depend/feed on for survival. Everyone knows the importance of fishes in our diet and business. Water bodies would be empty without fishes that feed on larvae.

2.Mosquitoes aids in pollination of plants,they suck plants juices transferring one very tiny pollen from one plant to another. And we all know the importance of cross pollination.

4.They were made to disturb the heck out of us. yes they are about 3500 species of mosquitoes transferring diseases to humans aside malaria there are other countless diseases transferred by mosquitoes.
According to WHO every year more than one million people die from mosquito related illness worldwide. So therefore mosquitoes help in population control. YES!!!!

So what's is the best method in the prevention of mosquito bites. Across the country the cost of mosquito insecticide is becoming unaffordable, aside the price,prolonged usage of insecticide is detrimental to health(I am not De marketing insecticide o). To me the best mosquito prevention method is the use of treated mosquito nets.

Sometimes I also take my time and physically eliminate them with my hands before sleeping.

Keeping the gutters and our environment clean is another way to eliminate mosquitoes.

N.B: Please if you have an idea of where people can get treated mosquito nets,drop the info in the comment section.
Written by me chiomadim

It should be free at primary health care centers but u know naija na dem don sell everything give mallam. Thats why u see a mallam selling a net which has "Do not sell, Free net by WHO" on it

1 Like

Re: Importance Of Mosquitoes In The Eco System by Seandisputed(m): 11:25pm On Jul 15, 2018
chiomadim:

Written by me chiomadim
Op is you normal?
Re: Importance Of Mosquitoes In The Eco System by konfused: 2:02am On Jul 16, 2018
@OP Do you know malaria has been eradicated in most Europen countries like France and co. Malaria was prevalent in these countries before, but today the reverse is the case.

Please do a proper research, I do however agree that there is an important role mosquito do play in the Eco system, else they would have been extinct.
Re: Importance Of Mosquitoes In The Eco System by Tejiriseth(m): 5:52am On Jul 16, 2018
it would do you good to stop thinking one sided.!
solodox:

I didn't know if I should pray for you or do the exact opposite... Mosquito? ImportAnt to the ecosystem.... Population control� you're being sarcastic I hope else ama ni problem!
Re: Importance Of Mosquitoes In The Eco System by Albinoflash(m): 7:06am On Jul 16, 2018
Uwana in Ebonyi state still remains the number one home of deadly mosquitoes in the world.
Re: Importance Of Mosquitoes In The Eco System by Asquare84(m): 7:29am On Jul 16, 2018
chiomadim:

Written by me chiomadim

Mosquito also help in actualizing Nigerian independence because our colonial masters where dieing of malaria which is cause by mosquito bite that force them to hasten our independence
Re: Importance Of Mosquitoes In The Eco System by Nobody: 4:09pm On Jul 16, 2018
Wow i made front page,When you read my post try to get the silent points I am trying to make so you know how best to prevent yourself from mosquito bites,malaria and diseases and avoid being counted among statistics.
Re: Importance Of Mosquitoes In The Eco System by Nobody: 4:13pm On Jul 16, 2018
konfused:
@OP Do you know malaria has been eradicated in most Europen countries like France and co. Malaria was prevalent in these countries before, but today the reverse is the case.

Please do a proper research, I do however agree that there is an important role mosquito do play in the Eco system, else they would have been extinct.

Is still exists in every part of the world,what made the difference is they have a very clean environment while we in Africa is battling with dirt's littered in most places. Cleanliness helps a lot.
Re: Importance Of Mosquitoes In The Eco System by Nobody: 4:17pm On Jul 16, 2018
Seandisputed:

Op is you normal?
Go back read again,pick the positives, know how to prevent yourself to be among statistics. Thanks
Re: Importance Of Mosquitoes In The Eco System by Seandisputed(m): 6:20pm On Jul 16, 2018
chiomadim:

Go back read again,pick the positives, know how to prevent yourself to be among statistics. Thanks
Statistics fire you there
Re: Importance Of Mosquitoes In The Eco System by konfused: 10:17pm On Jul 16, 2018
chiomadim:

Is still exists in every part of the world,what made the difference is they have a very clean environment while we in Africa is battling with dirt's littered in most places. Cleanliness helps a lot.

Dude, I am talking about total eradication of Malaria.

http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/307272/Facsheet-malaria-elimination.pdf

(1) (2) (Reply)

Wrong Time To Fall Sick In Nigeria, As Cost Of Medicines Skyrockets / 10 Amazing Health Benefits Awolowo Leaf-asikoherbs / Tribunal Suspends Kebbi Doctor For Amputating Baby In Womb

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.