Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,323 members, 7,811,952 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:18 AM

Wrong Time To Fall Sick In Nigeria, As Cost Of Medicines Skyrockets - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Wrong Time To Fall Sick In Nigeria, As Cost Of Medicines Skyrockets (14538 Views)

Lagos Residents Groan As Cost Of Condoms Increases By 200% / Most Promiscuous Nigerian Men May Go Raw As The Price Of Condom Skyrockets / Why Do I Fall Sick After Masturbating? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wrong Time To Fall Sick In Nigeria, As Cost Of Medicines Skyrockets by Okirinwankwa76(m): 4:49am On Jan 22
Wrong time to fall sick in Nigeria, as cost of medicines skyrockets

cost of medicines
…Patients lament, skip medications, seek alternative treatment
…Experts worry, propose urgent solutions

In Nigeria, falling sick can be challenging in normal times but seeking treatment is currently a double blow as the financial implication has become increasingly unbearable for many Nigerians.

The cost of basic drugs, such as antibiotics, analgesics, anti-diabetics, and key medications for chronic conditions, has doubled, tripled, or even quadrupled in some instances, leaving many patients struggling to access the healthcare they desperately need.

The alarming rise in drug prices, its impact on healthcare access, and the urgent need for solutions have become overriding to ensure that falling sick does not become a financial death sentence.

Hardest hit by the exponential surge in prices of drugs are the poor, notably those on the minimum wage and below, those without steady sources of income, and particularly those without reliable health insurance, like Idowu Akinyemi, a single mother.
When Idowu, who is living with diabetes, went to purchase her insulin, she was shocked to discover the price had gone up for the second time within a fortnight.

“The last time I purchased my insulin, it was around N3,000, but now when I went to check at the pharmacy, it is over N5,000, almost double,” lamented Idowu who noted that with each passing month, the cost of her insulin climbs higher, forcing her to choose between medication and feeding her children.

Dokun Bolarinwa, diagnosed with high blood pressure, said he had been on regular treatment, but noted that the soaring price of his medication was gradually forcing him to default in adherence to the guidelines of his treatment.

“I’m a retired civil servant with no stable income. Over the past few years, I have been managing my condition with family support and goodwill, but these days, things are tough. I’m already skipping certain medications because I cannot afford them, and if care is not taken, I may be forced to abandon treatment altogether.

Ade Ogun who bought a medicated cream for his skin rash was amazed when he discovered the drug had doubled in price a week later.
“I bought a tube of Nixoderm for N500, but when I went back to the the same shop to purchase another one some days later, the price had gone up 100 per cent. It was an unexpected increase,” Ade noted.

Funmi Olaoye, a housewife and mother of an ashtmatic child was also concerned about the high cost of drugs. “My son needs medication for his asthma, but I can barely afford half the dose. It’s a constant struggle,” she lamented.

Among factors contributing to the increase in drug prices are rising production costs, delays in global supply chains and local supply challenges, as well as the declining value of the naira.

400-500% price increase

Findings from a recent survey by SB Morgen showed that over the last four years, the prices of different categories of paracetamol-based analgesics, common cold medicines, such as Actifed, and antibiotics, and antimalarials, rose dramatically.

The report found that between 2022 and 2023, Ampiclox and Amoxil recorded 340 per cent and over 400 per cent increases respectively, while antimalarials such as Lonart DS recorded cost and selling price increases of 110 per cent and 92.3 per cent respectively between 2019 and 2023.

From Vanguard’s investigations, the prices of all routine drugs in Nigeria have gone up astronomically. The most affected categories include genuine antibiotics, analgesics, anti-malarials and a number of prescription and specialized drugs.

A random check of prices in some pharmacies and in the open market in Lagos revealed that prices of all the popular genuine brands of antibiotics, including Ciprofloxaxin, Azithromycin, Amoxil, Ampiclox and Augmentin, have gone up by 50 – 150 per cent since the beginning of the new year.

Experts say accessing affordable insulin is crucial for managing diabetes effectively. However, it was gathered that the rising cost of insulin presents a significant challenge for people living with diabetes.

Insulin prices in Nigeria have been steadily increasing in recent times with ranges, depending on the brand, pharmacy, and location.

Findings show that for insulin, from rapid-acting, intermediate-acting or long-acting, the average depending on the type, ranges between N4,000 and N18,000 per cartridge/vial.

A silent rage of people grappling with undiagnosed or inadequately managed chronic diseases, such as cancer, is also underway as chemotherapy drugs have seen a 300 per cent price increase in recent times, pushing them beyond the reach of most patients.

Access to essential medications as anti-depressants is also restricted as they can cost up to N10,500 per month, leaving many resorting to traditional remedies or simply going untreated.

Data from the Global Cancer Observatory show that over 100,000 new cancer cases are diagnosed annually in Nigeria, yet only five per cent of those affected can afford treatment.

Statistics from the World Health Organisation, WHO, backed by the Nigeria Association of Psychiatrists, reveal that an estimated 20 per cent of Nigerians suffer from mental health issues, but access to treatment is severely limited.

The consequences of the price hike are serious, with many Nigerians skipping doses, rationing medication, or even abandoning treatment altogether due to the prohibitive costs.

Women, children hardest hit

Those bearing the brunt more are the vulnerable groups, including children, pregnant women, the elderly, and those with underlying or pre-existing health conditions and those that require regular medication.

Experts say the consequences of this development could be devastating and could lead to undesirable complications, delayed diagnoses, and even preventable deaths.

The lack of insurance coverage is also there. Most health insurance plans in Nigeria do not cover chronic ailments comprehensively. So in most cases, the patient has to pay out of pocket.

Already, worries about affordability of treatment and drugs from delays in treatment or skipping of doses leading to complications, worsening health outcomes, and even becoming common.

Health watchers blame the development on a combination of factors, including depreciation of the naira, global supply chain disruptions, and increased drug production costs.

Beyond the high drug prices, they warn that left unchecked, the crisis could cripple the already overburdened healthcare system and worsen existing health inequalities.

In a conversation, President of the National Post Graduate Medical College of Nigeria, Professor Akin Osibogun, said scarcity of genuine drugs will likely have significant effects.

“These include poor control of disease conditions due to non-availability of essential medications, such as diabetes, hypertension, and cancer, among others, and this will result in the conditions becoming complicated.

“There will be escalation of costs of making drugs, even more unaffordable by the poor and the underprivileged further widening. There will be increased opportunity for faking of drugs, which may have increased adverse effects on the health of Nigerians and patients may turn to untested alternative treatment modalities.” he remarked.

Increased morbidity, mortality, looming

Also reacting, the Chief Medical Director of Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, LASUTH, Prof Adetokunbo Fabamwo, said high cost of drugs was undesirable for the welfare of the average Nigerian.

“Nigerian citizens are already impoverished and cannot even afford to buy food to eat, if they are sick and need to buy drugs; in the near future we will have increased morbidity and mortality. So people will not be able to comply with their drug prescriptions. People will get sicker, and some of them may even die,’’ he said.

Also, people with mental health conditions are not also spared, according to a Consultant Psychiatrist at the Federal Neuropsychiatric Hospital, Yaba, Dr Stephen Oluwaniyi.

He said: “As far as management of those who already have mental health conditions is concerned, many of the conditions are what we call chronic disorders, in the sense that they need to continue with maintenance treatment, taking medications in one form or the other., apart from the cost of transporting themselves to the hospital, they have to pay for medication.

“Now, an individual who has been struggling to spend N2,000 per month to obtain medication now requires to pay like N4,000, You know, a time comes that he or she may not be able to get the medication.

‘’Some of these disorders, once your medications are not consistent, symptoms tend to recur, which means the individual may become further incapacitated, may not be able to experience optimal state of mental health.”

He explained that he or she might not be able to continue to work or be productive in one way or the other.

“So, the high cost of drugs is negatively affecting the treatment of people with mental disorders. There’s no doubt about that. And again, I want to appeal to the authorities to make sure something is done quickly about this trend of medication costs skyrocketing. And that also points to the need why health insurance in Nigeria has to be robust.

“Some of these individuals with mental health conditions are not even working. So, for such individuals, there should be a way of providing for them, probably making some of these medications more affordable. If possible, free,’’ he added.

On his own part, the Medical Director, Federal Medical Centre, Ebute Metta, Lagos, Dr Adedamola Dada, said a lot was needed to be done to address the situation.

“There are drugs available in the country. It’s the cost that has increased, in line with most things that are importation-dependent. And as with everything, Nigerians in the drug business are also taking advantage, seeing that there are limited options and little competition.

“The solution is fundamental, we need to start producing our own drugs locally using high-quality APIs to guarantee drug security, and we also need to eliminate or substantially reduce out-of- pocket payments for health care. These are the things the Federal Ministry of Health is doing now – fundamentally tackling the problem, and soon enough, it would yield results,’’ he said.
Speaking further, Dada noted that when patients were unable to afford their drugs,their condition does not get treated.

He said: “A healthy nation is a wealthy nation. Personally, however, I am not one for all this noise about the cost of drugs, it’s not the only thing whose prices have gone up. I think we should rather exert our efforts and energy at finding a long-term and enduring solution to it, and that’s what Ministers Pate and Alausa are doing now.

“We all need to support them, rather than use the problem as an albatross. It’s a surmountable problem and I am totally convinced that the approach they are taking on this will fundamentally change the game but like all programmes, it will take time.”

It’s heart-breaking

But Dr. Aisha Abubakar, a paediatrician lamented: “I see children suffering from preventable illnesses because their parents can’t afford medication. It’s heartbreaking.”

Also worried was Dr. Olufemi Ademola, a pharmacist and pharmacy owner. He said: “We’re caught between our oath to help and the reality that many patients can’t afford basic drugs.”

He revealed that some customers are now buying smaller quantities of drugs as a way of conserving funds and even resorting to buying unregulated street drugs.

Kenechukwu Okoli, another pharmacist is worried about the impact on chronic illnesses, saying “diabetics, hypertensives, even cancer patients say they are forced to choose between medication and other basic needs.”

Seun Adegoke, a healthcare economist, emphasized the need for long-term solutions.

“Investing in local drug production and promoting generic alternatives can bring down costs in the long run,’’ Adegoke said.
On her part, Faith Solomon, a mental health advocate said: “Mental illness is often misunderstood and stigmatised in Nigeria. Even when people seek help, access to affordable medication remains a major barrier. This leaves many trapped in a cycle of suffering.”

Expressing concern for the well-being of Nigerians, health watchers are calling for urgent action to address the issue of high drug prices, even as they urge the government to prioritise healthcare accessibility, intervene in implementing price controls, support local drug production, and strengthen public healthcare infrastructure.

Among solutions proposed include improving access to affordable health insurance, encouraging the use of safe and effective generic drugs to reduce costs, educating communities about the issue and advocating policy changes.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2024/01/wrong-time-to-fall-sick-in-nigeria-as-cost-of-medicines-skyrockets/

16 Likes

Re: Wrong Time To Fall Sick In Nigeria, As Cost Of Medicines Skyrockets by superCleanworks(m): 5:11am On Jan 22
Food prices on one side.

Drug prices on the other.

Where do we go?

74 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Wrong Time To Fall Sick In Nigeria, As Cost Of Medicines Skyrockets by cenaman(m): 5:28am On Jan 22
What about hunger?

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wrong Time To Fall Sick In Nigeria, As Cost Of Medicines Skyrockets by Nackzy: 5:31am On Jan 22
Aswear, na so I go skin dive, carry wetin ah no suppose carry, ah pay money tire, every drug is expensive now ordinary syringe is expensive

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wrong Time To Fall Sick In Nigeria, As Cost Of Medicines Skyrockets by ValCon888: 5:44am On Jan 22
Falling sick on N30k minimum wage is a death sentence hanging over the unprotected necks of the common man.

49 Likes

Re: Wrong Time To Fall Sick In Nigeria, As Cost Of Medicines Skyrockets by madridguy(m): 6:05am On Jan 22
You dey dive skin to skin for this period? So you're not afraid of AIDS? Pity your mother please.

Nackzy:
Aswear, na so I go skin dive, carry wetin ah no suppose carry, ah pay money tire, every drug is expensive now ordinary syringe is expensive

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wrong Time To Fall Sick In Nigeria, As Cost Of Medicines Skyrockets by madridguy(m): 6:06am On Jan 22
lipsrsealed
Re: Wrong Time To Fall Sick In Nigeria, As Cost Of Medicines Skyrockets by Tokskob2008: 6:32am On Jan 22
The government is trying their best to make sure they suffer the masses at all cost but they are not to be totally blamed because the masses too are just as corrupt as the government.

Collect money, foodstuffs and other things just to vote in selfish leaders. This is the end result.

69 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Wrong Time To Fall Sick In Nigeria, As Cost Of Medicines Skyrockets by JASONjnr(m): 6:43am On Jan 22
Nothing is easy to purchase..... Drugs aside, surviving is very expensive in Nigeria.

Lots of times, I just have to pity lazy folks. If you were lazy during Buhari regime, try to work harder to earn a living as more hardship will increase.

There's no hope out there..... And I've noticed the number of beggars have increased by the roadside.

Tinubu, well-done sir.

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Wrong Time To Fall Sick In Nigeria, As Cost Of Medicines Skyrockets by Oxb90: 6:49am On Jan 22
Let's try to live a healthy lifestyle. Hospitals are no longer humanitarian organizations. Doctors no gree for anybody again.

1 Like

Re: Wrong Time To Fall Sick In Nigeria, As Cost Of Medicines Skyrockets by Nackzy: 7:40am On Jan 22
madridguy:
You dey dive skin to skin for this period? So you're not afraid of AIDS? Pity your mother please.

grin grin grin ah don hear sir

1 Like

Re: Wrong Time To Fall Sick In Nigeria, As Cost Of Medicines Skyrockets by Nbote(m): 8:19am On Jan 22
Aside the cost of medicine, most well qualified medical practitioners have fled the country

25 Likes

Re: Wrong Time To Fall Sick In Nigeria, As Cost Of Medicines Skyrockets by slaawomirr: 4:47pm On Jan 22
Damnnn niggar

Even the medicines 💊 na substandard

About three weeks ago I had malaria and typhoid fever combined
The nurse was talking me into taking drugs

I just smiled at her and tell her straight to her face that ma'am I want injection 💉

Even the injection self nor still sure

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wrong Time To Fall Sick In Nigeria, As Cost Of Medicines Skyrockets by obicoolnino: 4:47pm On Jan 22
Thank God for agbo Jedi, poor man need not worry.

2 Likes

Re: Wrong Time To Fall Sick In Nigeria, As Cost Of Medicines Skyrockets by dominique(f): 4:47pm On Jan 22
Wrongest time o
Re: Wrong Time To Fall Sick In Nigeria, As Cost Of Medicines Skyrockets by Nwaezeudo: 4:47pm On Jan 22
You all should take care of your health because the cocaine lord in Aso Rock is out to k!ll and to destroy!

Meanwhile Peter Obi and Obidients are still learning their lessons. Clown agbadorites tongue

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wrong Time To Fall Sick In Nigeria, As Cost Of Medicines Skyrockets by DropsMic(m): 4:49pm On Jan 22
Nigerians haven’t seen anything yet

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wrong Time To Fall Sick In Nigeria, As Cost Of Medicines Skyrockets by ednut1(m): 4:49pm On Jan 22
2027 most of the people suffering will still vote APC.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wrong Time To Fall Sick In Nigeria, As Cost Of Medicines Skyrockets by Solidkay(m): 4:49pm On Jan 22
What do you expect when major pharmaceutical companies are folding up in the country,
Who do we blame??

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wrong Time To Fall Sick In Nigeria, As Cost Of Medicines Skyrockets by IMASTEX: 4:50pm On Jan 22
True
Re: Wrong Time To Fall Sick In Nigeria, As Cost Of Medicines Skyrockets by Rumundele(m): 4:50pm On Jan 22
Ngburogu is the only solution
Re: Wrong Time To Fall Sick In Nigeria, As Cost Of Medicines Skyrockets by SlavaUkraini: 4:50pm On Jan 22
obicoolnino:
Thank God for agbo Jedi, poor man need not worry.

The Agbo Jedi Jedi dey cure cancer or diabetes in your village ?

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wrong Time To Fall Sick In Nigeria, As Cost Of Medicines Skyrockets by adesegun121(m): 4:50pm On Jan 22
Don't sick oo

2 Likes

Re: Wrong Time To Fall Sick In Nigeria, As Cost Of Medicines Skyrockets by ClearFlair: 4:51pm On Jan 22
APC is a disaster

8 Likes

Re: Wrong Time To Fall Sick In Nigeria, As Cost Of Medicines Skyrockets by Mindlog: 4:51pm On Jan 22
Really sad situation.

2 Likes

Re: Wrong Time To Fall Sick In Nigeria, As Cost Of Medicines Skyrockets by hamtabfawaz(m): 4:52pm On Jan 22
Re: Wrong Time To Fall Sick In Nigeria, As Cost Of Medicines Skyrockets by zebszebs: 4:52pm On Jan 22
Time for religious charlatans, bible conmen, and pulpit bandits to cash out, and make bank.

I wonder what crime/sin I committed in my former life for me to have been cast into HellNigeria this time around.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wrong Time To Fall Sick In Nigeria, As Cost Of Medicines Skyrockets by stano2(m): 4:53pm On Jan 22
Omo it’s not easy at all.
Re: Wrong Time To Fall Sick In Nigeria, As Cost Of Medicines Skyrockets by Antoeni(m): 4:53pm On Jan 22
Time to Embrace Positive Healthy Living, As The Asiwaju of Insecurity, Hunger & Inflation No Send Anybody

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

6 Home Remedies For Colds And Coughs In Babies / Soak Unripe Pawpaw In Water For 3 Days And Drink, For The Health Benefits / Tribunal Suspends Kebbi Doctor For Amputating Baby In Womb

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.