Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,474 members, 7,819,727 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:50 PM

Agonies Of Fatherhood - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Agonies Of Fatherhood (8539 Views)

The agonies of a man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Agonies Of Fatherhood by alcmene: 2:17pm On Jul 23, 2018
SaiNigeria:
Mikel Obi's father can relate to this storyline

Like seriously you're right.

Imagine the man said Mikel haven't called him for the past five years
Re: Agonies Of Fatherhood by aycorporat(m): 2:58pm On Jul 23, 2018
alcmene:

My guy is this true? with all the money? na wa o
Re: Agonies Of Fatherhood by SaiNigeria: 4:10pm On Jul 23, 2018
alcmene:

Being a father to some kids are not worth it
Re: Agonies Of Fatherhood by CowHard: 7:44pm On Jul 23, 2018
The doctor insisted John be taken to the state teaching hospital.
John having no money is now more or less bedridden as he barely walked.
Succour however came the way for him as a philanthropist came around to foot the bill of all the patients in the hospital and provided him with a wheelchair.
When his wife eventually returned, she spent two days in the house and returned back to their children's place.
Now confined to a wheelchair, John now depends on the kind hearted ones in the neighborhood to feed and carry out some chores.

While this happened, his first and second sons bought lands in the village and developed them simultaneously.
On several occasions that they came around to inspect their respective projects, they never passed the night in their house rather they slept in a nearby hotel in the village.

None of the female children visited home since the date of their marriages.
John's house was deserted and almost overtaken by weeds.
Neighbors disposed John's excreta but not when he has inhaled the greater percentage of the stench. One fateful night, he made to drag himself into the wheelchair from the bed but fell on ground.
In the morning, his friend who has been advising him to get another wife visited.
He knocked on the door but heard no response.
He knocked again this time louder yet John was unable to open the door.
He then went to nearby houses to ask if they have seen John recently.
The neighbors followed him to John's house and decided to force their way into the house.
When they eventually broke the door and gained access to the room where John sleeps, the body of John was seen laying on the floor stone dead.

1 Like

Re: Agonies Of Fatherhood by Igyeseh(m): 9:14pm On Jul 23, 2018
Now the children that forsake, neglect and abandoned him will invite the whole world to come witness how they will give their father a beffiting burial.
Re: Agonies Of Fatherhood by alcmene: 10:13pm On Jul 23, 2018
embarassed
Re: Agonies Of Fatherhood by Chommieblaq(f): 10:41pm On Jul 23, 2018
This narration gavw me goose bumps, though fiction but it's happening in iur society.
Do i blame the kids?
Yes to some extent but large percent of the blame goes to the wife.
I keep saying this over and over, the worst thing that can happened to someone is getting married to a bad wife/husband, your life expectancy will be drastically cut down.

May we never be the reason our will parent cry at night (amen), and no matter what grievances we hold for our parent, we should always remember that they are the reason for our existence
Re: Agonies Of Fatherhood by Ann2012(f): 11:23pm On Jul 23, 2018
Too bad for John embarassed
Re: Agonies Of Fatherhood by aycorporat(m): 7:59am On Jul 24, 2018
so all this "weeping may endure for a while, but joy comes in the morning" is all a hoax for somebody like John? has he been destined to suffer all the days of his life? No reprieve whatsoever?
Re: Agonies Of Fatherhood by CowHard: 9:42am On Jul 24, 2018
aycorporat:
so all this "weeping may endure for a while, but joy comes in the morning" is all a hoax for somebody like John? has he been destined to suffer all the days of his life? No reprieve whatsoever?

Fate could be cruel to some people
Re: Agonies Of Fatherhood by CowHard: 1:11pm On Jul 24, 2018
Update.....
Re: Agonies Of Fatherhood by CowHard: 1:13pm On Jul 24, 2018
The long awaited death of John has arrived. Dreams must not be fulfilled. The dream of being a nice father to his kids so as to be taken care of later in life never came into fruition.
If the dead do cry, John will be heard weeping in his death. Wherever his soul may be, it must be in regret and wished the hands of the clock be reversed for him to right the wrongs.
Many dreams are left unfulfilled and the world still keep moving.

When the news of John's death filtered into town, it was greeted with shock and sober reflections.
Few days later, his children and the mother returned all clad in black apparel to announce to the world that they are mourning the death of their beloved father and husband.
John's corpse was gently placed in the back of his son's latest ride and taken to the mortuary.
The very vehicle he was never privileged to enter when he was alive is now made available.
Ugo the first son promised to foot the bill of the burial ceremonies.

In order not to be mocked by his well-to-do business associates, Ugo hurriedly erected a four bedroom bungalow in their compounded and painted the old house.
John's corpse was in the morgue 'relaxing' while his children applied finishing touches to the burial arrangements.
The 'air conditioner' that eluded John while he lived is now his at the morgue.

Oh what a life!!! Death signifies eternal rest but John never rested even in death.
His spirit flocked around in regret. Sometimes noises will begin to emanate from his room even when no one is there.
"We are no longer in the same world, go your way and leave me and my children alone" Chioma is heard shouting on any occurrence.

3 Likes

Re: Agonies Of Fatherhood by quinSonia(f): 6:28pm On Jul 24, 2018
CowHard more please

i m not sure his spirit can do anything as they are his kids,maybe his wife will not be spared
Re: Agonies Of Fatherhood by CowHard: 7:07pm On Jul 24, 2018
All was set to give John a befitting burial even when he never had a 'befitting' life on earth.
For the first time John had the weeds on his compound cleared by his children.
Chioma his wife mounted the traditional mourning bed. She's not be seen outside of the room unless she's to take her bath or to empty her bowel. Tradition must be observed with or without a sincere heart, after all the dead have already been stripped of their constitutional and emotional rights.

It was an elaborate burial ceremony. Canopies were in their numbers. A cooling van was on ground to give the people a scintillating taste of cold drinks.
Foods were in surplus and in different varieties.
Cows were killed and butchered to provide the visitors with a busy and occupied teeth throughout their stay with them.
Strange enough, vultures never hovered nor perched within the environment despite the fact that cows were slaughtered in their numbers.

When it was the time for interring John's corpse, the elders called the children to perform the traditional dust to dust rite by heaping sands into the grave.
Ugo the first son was to heap the first sand and offer some words of prayer.
Unknown of what to pray for a man they neglected, he burst into tears as their ugly deeds came starring him at face like a television.
He continued to weep and the already angry youths shoved him aside and covered the grave with sand and left.

1 Like

Re: Agonies Of Fatherhood by CowHard: 7:37pm On Jul 24, 2018
quinSonia:
CowHard more please

i m not sure his spirit can do anything as they are his kids,maybe his wife will not be spared

Me too. I don't think the children will be harmed.
Re: Agonies Of Fatherhood by quinSonia(f): 7:40pm On Jul 24, 2018
CowHard:

Me too. I don't think the children will be harmed.

more episodes please
Re: Agonies Of Fatherhood by CowHard: 8:15pm On Jul 24, 2018
quinSonia:

more episodes please

Coming shortly
Re: Agonies Of Fatherhood by Ann2012(f): 8:20pm On Jul 24, 2018
Soooo touching

Well done Bro
Re: Agonies Of Fatherhood by SaiNigeria: 8:56pm On Jul 24, 2018
Sad story
Re: Agonies Of Fatherhood by SaiNigeria: 9:35pm On Jul 24, 2018
More update bro
Re: Agonies Of Fatherhood by CowHard: 11:37am On Jul 25, 2018
Left at the graveside all alone, Ugo wept bitterly like he realized his father just died.
He knelt down beside his father's grave and said "father forgive us all our sins and neglect we meted on you. How could we have neglected you to the point of death. The money that eluded you has located us all. If we are privileged to be your children in the next world, we will right our wrongs" he concluded before being dragged away from the graveside by sympathizers.

The promise made to a corpse is useless. Take care of people while they lived for the moment they closed their eyes, your efforts will be in futility.
Chioma in the course of observing the traditional mourning method never bathed nor changed clothes for a four market days.
On the completion of the mourning exercise was a ritual made to 'separate the dead husband from herself'

Death is guilty as charged, the dead are never Innocent for they can not prove their innocence.
On the fourth day of the mourning exercise, chioma had her hairs shaved. The clothes she wore removed and set ablaze.
The mat she laid on while mourning also set ablaze. An empty calabash was broken right in the middle of the compound. These are the rituals required to unofficially divorce/separate the living from the dead.

After few weeks stay at the village, chioma and her children went back to the city.
Two years after John's demise, Chioma remarried and that heralded the end of John's era.
John in your next world while taking care of your kids, plan on how to take care of yourself at the later days.
Children have proven to be more and naturally sentimentally attached to their mothers.
Man seems to be naturally made to toil, procreate and pave way(die) for the wife and kids to enjoy the wealth.
So as you toil, do not deprive yourself of the basic things of life.
STORY ENDS...

4 Likes

Re: Agonies Of Fatherhood by profjones(m): 12:42pm On Jul 25, 2018
hmmmmmmm!
What a tragic story,
message passed, lessons learnt.
What a funny world, you work tirelessly at your prime to educate and ascertain the successfulness of your wards, only to be denied of proper care when you actually need them the most (old age).
It all goes by the kind of wife you have, a mother is like the bridge linking the children to their father, once that bridge is broken, the father bears the brunt.
My prayer to God for all responsible and hardworking fathers, when its time to reap what you've sowed, may you not be denied by untimely death..
Nice story thou!!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Agonies Of Fatherhood by CowHard: 2:26pm On Jul 25, 2018
profjones:
hmmmmmmm!
What a tragic story,
message passed, lessons learnt.
What a funny world, you work tirelessly at your prime to educate and ascertain the successfulness of your wards, only to be denied of proper care when you actually need them the most (old age).
It all goes by the kind of wife you have, a mother is like the bridge linking the children to their father, once that bridge is broken, the father bears the brunt.
My prayer to God for all responsible and hardworking fathers, when its time to reap what you've sowed, may you not be denied by untimely death..
Nice story thou!!!!!!

You're damn right
Re: Agonies Of Fatherhood by Ann2012(f): 5:43pm On Jul 25, 2018
Thanks for this wonderful story

Learnt a lot from it.
Re: Agonies Of Fatherhood by CowHard: 5:46pm On Jul 25, 2018
Ann2012:
Thanks for this wonderful story
Learnt a lot from it.

You're welcome dear.
Re: Agonies Of Fatherhood by alcmene: 6:55am On Jul 26, 2018
What a story!!
Re: Agonies Of Fatherhood by Pablo95(m): 11:33am On Jul 26, 2018
CowHard:
Acrimmortalgold , Pablo95 Evangelodoyi tyeenigga obinnau Divepen1
make una come chop kola nut
I dey with u broda man
Re: Agonies Of Fatherhood by alcmene: 9:05pm On Jul 26, 2018
Guy I dey wait for ya next story
Re: Agonies Of Fatherhood by Youngzubi(m): 10:29pm On Jul 26, 2018
nice work here
my man @cowhard u'er really trying keep it up brotherly
still ur guy YOUNGZUBI
Re: Agonies Of Fatherhood by CowHard: 3:37pm On Jul 27, 2018
Youngzubi:
nice work here
my man @cowhard u'er really trying keep it up brotherly
still ur guy YOUNGZUBI
Thanks bro
Re: Agonies Of Fatherhood by MightyFortress: 8:32pm On Nov 11, 2018
Interesting

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Debt From Home. ( a killer's instinct) / Chinua Achebe's 86th Posthumous Birthday Is Today / Sule Egya Wins 2013 Commonwealth Book Prize For Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.