Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,302 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:31 AM

Open Letter To Literature-landers- By D9ty7. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Open Letter To Literature-landers- By D9ty7. (8385 Views)

Hey Literature Landers Am Back! Itx Ur Boy Rounakid (iphiekuttie) / The Murderer: A story by d9ty7 / Congrats D9ty7, He As Been Finally Made A Moderator!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Go Down)

Open Letter To Literature-landers- By D9ty7. by D9ty7(m): 10:13am On Jan 27, 2015
nairaland literature section is one of the sections where members respect one another. I have visited a few other sections, the Politics section in particular. Believe me, there is nothing like respect in that particular section, you need to see members raining curses and abuses, even on their family members who are innocent. In that section, you can't raise a point, you can't create threads anyhow, you can't comments anyhow, you can't criticise and criticisms are not accepted in good faith. But the reverse is the case in the literature section, one of the reasons why it is the best.
I will highlight a few points that needed to be worked on, we need change, things must change, our mentality must change to make the literature section a better place to always want to come to.
I joined Nairaland in 2013 and I could vividly remember the writers that were active when I joined, but presently, they are far from being active. Though we have a new crop of wonderful writers, but it is not just enough, even though with the few writers that we have, are they being appreciated and encouraged? No
Re: Open Letter To Literature-landers- By D9ty7. by donPhill(m): 10:20am On Jan 27, 2015
...true talk...oga seun need to work on dis section cos this section generates more traffick than any, imagine refreshing a page every 30mins
good mornin d9ty7
Re: Open Letter To Literature-landers- By D9ty7. by stuff46(m): 10:34am On Jan 27, 2015
donPhill:
...true talk...oga seun need to work on dis section cos this section generates more traffick than any, imagine refreshing a page every 30mins
good mornin d9ty7

Re: Open Letter To Literature-landers- By D9ty7. by D9ty7(m): 10:59am On Jan 27, 2015
The issue of plagiarists: I don't think someone is coming from somewhere just to steal stories, I believe Nairalanders are the owners of those blogs and facebook pages where nairaland stories are being posted.
Imagine a story which was written to completion on Nairaland and managed to ganner a little over 5,000 views and a blogger somewhere decides to post the story on his blog and after posting about half of the story, he has had over twenty thousand views. How do you think the writer would feel? Happy right? Because his story is going places. Mind you, the blogger claimed the ownership of the story with copyright claims.
The original writer would be far from happy to speak the truth, from experience. And to say the blogger was one of the numerous people who read and commented on the story when the writer first posted in on Nairaland. He was one of those who called him the best writer, the best this and the best that, but instead of him(plagiarists are mostly males) to acknowledge the writer, he claimed ownership because he wanted to impress his friends on facebook and probably to make his crush see him as someone that is intellectually gifted.
And their readers are not helping matters, when you tell them the story belongs to you, they attack you, they call you names, attention seeker(I felt like jumping into a nearest river the first time I experienced this) even with links, with dates, with pictures, you can never make any sense to them. If you like, you can scan your manuscript and post it on the page, you are on your own.
Why are we doing ourselves? Nairalanders causing havoc to other Nairalanders since 2005.
There are categories of plagiarists but I will only give two here.
1. The Nairalander who just because he wanted to be regarded to as a writer decided to create a blog and he started posting our stories. And just below the page, you'll see a comprehensive note about him, how he started writing when he was three years old, how he wrote a complete novel at the age of five just to pass accross a strong message that he has been a writer from birth.
I once had a run off with one guy who was posting my story on his facebook page, after I had posted links directing his readers to the original story on Nairaland, he then asked me a question.
He said, look at my facebook profile and look at your own, as a neutral person, does your profile look like that of a writer? Then I had to check his profile, he is a graduate of LASU, computer engineering, and in the spaces designed for Bio and all those things that I don't know their functions, there were so many quotes, that would make you ask yourself if he is the younger versio of Wole Soyinka.
2. The second category are those who steal stories from outside Nairaland and post them on Nairaland. The copy directly from published novels, as in from the book. I have seen in the last two months, about two writers on Nairaland who are guilty of that offence. While we are trying to fight plagiarism, our own people are encouraging it. Some Nairalanders copy stories from other websites and post them on Nairaland. Something we want to eradicate is what you are doing.
Another category which I must mention. I regard to these people as being silly. They steal stories belonging to Nairalanders from somewhere and posts in on nairaland. Some will change the title, some will change the section.
If we want to stop plagiarism, then all nairalanders who are guilty of this should stop it.
The fact that there is a disclaimer on Nairaland's homepage doesn't give you the go ahead to steal our works. Make sure you are not found, if we find you, you'll loose your page, loose you blog and even loose all that you've ever worked for.
Its not a curse, its the truth, you can't cheat me and expect favour from God, wise up and get a pen of your own and write.

13 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Open Letter To Literature-landers- By D9ty7. by D9ty7(m): 11:27am On Jan 27, 2015
Another pressing issue is the writers encouragement:
Personally, I have no reason to complain about this because I have recieved more than enough encouragements in terms of comments and other things that could encourage a writer, but the same can not be said about the new set of writers that we have around here.
If I decide to post a story on Nairaland and after five straight update, I can't count at least fifteen updates, then I'll have to consider the options that I have. Afterall, no one is paying me, therefore no one has the right to hold me responsible if I decide to stop writing. Believe me, I once checked the literature section not too long ago and the first five topics I saw were stories, I checked back after an hour and this five topics still occupies the first five positions with no new comment and nothing new, whereas in other sections, in a minute, you'll get at least five comments, while in the literature section, in a day, you'll get a comment and about 5 views increase.
If you check some popular sections, you'll see about five hundred registered members viewing the section with the same amount of guest while a thread will have at least a hundred registered viewers. If the thread makes front page, it tripples, but in the literature section, hardly will you see hundred registered users viewing the board while on a thread with the highest viewers will have about thirteen registered users and six guests viewing. If such thread makes the frontpage, you'll see about seventy registered users and hundred guests, check back after ten minutes, hardly will you see twenty five registered users.
Abeg, are we writing rubbish? Please tell us, so we can work on it or better still stop writing.
The readers don't comment and when they do, all they write is, "you are the bomb! Next update please." These comments does little or nothing in encouraging these writers.
At the same time we are fighting plagiarists, we are begging people to at least comment on our stories, even if na to book space. Its very bad.
I have seen a writer who for the past one week is always calling on his people to come and read and while they read, only one person will comment and since that last week, the same person has been commenting after every update.
And while some people will complain that there are so many abandoned stories on Nairaland, who will post when he knew he won't get any new comment. The same thing everyone talks about, the writer is the bomb. Achebe never called Adichie the bomb when he read her book. Give these people detailed comment, tell them what you think, what you think should be done.
Believe there is not writer here on Nairaland that is 50%, we are all below average which is why our stories are being posted for you to read and correct.
All in all, lets work on the issue of comments, likes and shares, they serve as encouragement to we writers.
A popular writer was talking about how he normally bounce his dinner just to enable him type late into the night to satisfy we his readers, sleepless nights, as a student, he won't read his notes, he would always want to satisfy us and in the end, while his GDP falls and he log in to nairaland, hoping to see comments that will lift his spirit, all he would see are people complaining that he his taking too long, he is starving them. Is that the encouragement that he needs? We can do better.

3 Likes

Re: Open Letter To Literature-landers- By D9ty7. by stuff46(m): 11:38am On Jan 27, 2015
Oga D you have got a point, and i think should be considered. The rate inwhich they steal story (ies) here is much and to address such situation one has to be at alert.

In as much as NL doesnt gurantee the safety of your work, the writers should protect their work in any way they can. Even those that steal this stories don't have fear of God in them, so the best way to avoid all this kind of story is after some time you delit them from sites, (since opera mini, mozilla firefox, uc browser give room for copying).
After deliting the works from site (s) it would help protect your work.

As a saying goes, 'running away from problem doesnt show your braveness, rather it shows your cowardice'. I saw some writers stop posting thier stories here just because of this problem, i ask myself 'what does this show'? I guess you understand it. You must learn to stand and approach every trouble that arrive. This is just part of the problem you ought to have taken into consideration before going into the course of writing. As every job/ activity comes with a challenge, one must be able to fight for his/her right.

If you don't get to convince the thief and his followers, pray for him that he may change not to get discouraged in your doings over their actions, since your concience is clear that it is your work.

Re: Open Letter To Literature-landers- By D9ty7. by D9ty7(m): 12:01pm On Jan 27, 2015
And the last thing I would be talking about is also somehow related to writers encouragement.
If I decide to subscribe my phone, laptop or any device that I use in posting my stories, I won't spend less than a thousand naira, for monthly plans. And if after subscribing, I started posting my stories here on Nairaland and you guys are commenting the way I want, at then end of the month if my data finishes, your comments would make me spend the same amount on money to subscribe my phone, just because I want to see more sweet comments.
Now, if such stories run for five months before it finishes. At the end of those five months, the writer would realise that he had spent five thousand naira on data plans with nothing in return. At the end of those five months, your comments won't be a source of encouragement any longer, he will see the comments as just mere comments with nothing else.
If I should spend five thousand naira to in five month for the subscription of my phone, even though I didn't use the whole data on Nairaland alone, I probably used whatsapp, BBM and other chat platforms, but believe me, at the start of every month, I can't spend #500 to subscribe for these applications, meaning my one thousand nairal subscription is majorly because of Nairaland.
At some point, you'll realise that you have excecuted a business without profit.
Now, someone saw the need for writers to be encouraged and every month, he is giving out a sum of five thousand naira to a writer and recharge cards to a few others. Even though we don't know who the sponsor is, but the person who brought the project to Nairaland is also a writer.
And all that is expected of our people is just to go to the voting thread and type, "I vote this person." Is that too much to do? It doesn't take a minute of your time, it doesn't deduct something big from your data plan. You don't need to exert your energy, just type and get out. But Nairlanders won't vote when you ask them to vote and when there is no update, they complain.
Someone is ready to encourage writers by giving them a token sum of money and all that is expected from you is just the votes, but you won't vote. Why?
A writer who spent five thousand naira before he could finish posting his story who wins this prize has been compensated, everything is all squared, and a writer who didn't spend up to that amount even made profit.
This is the only way our writers can be encouraged to do more.
It baffles me when during Mr and Miss Nairaland, a contestant who took the last position had about 60votes and in the literature section, the writer who wins the writer of the month has 60votes.
If beauty is more appreciated than brain then there is a problem.
Note: I don't mean to discredit the Mr &Miss Nairaland contest, but truth need to be told.
I was one of those who voted during these contest and I saw how it is being celebrated, it made frontpage, everyone from different sections participated, but here in the literature section, even the users of the sections are not voting. We need to do something about it.
Five thousand naira is not up to what you have in your account, it doesn't make you richer, but instead of you withdrawing from your bank before you subscribe your phone, you can use this money.
Lets vote for our writers. Brain speaks louder than anything. You can't depend on anything, but believe me, you can depend on your brain.
This piece is written and compiled by d9ty7, a concerned literature section user and it is written to every literature section users.

12 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Open Letter To Literature-landers- By D9ty7. by D9ty7(m): 12:04pm On Jan 27, 2015
stuff46:
Oga D you have got a point, and i think should be considered. The rate inwhich they steal story (ies) here is much and to address such situation one has to be at alert.

In as much as NL doesnt gurantee the safety of your work, the writers should protect their work in any way they can. Even those that steal this stories don't have fear of God in them, so the best way to avoid all this kind of story is after some time you delit them from sites, (since opera mini, mozilla firefox, uc browser give room for copying).
After deliting the works from site (s) it would help protect your work.

As a saying goes, 'running away from problem doesnt show your braveness, rather it shows your cowardice'. I saw some writers stop posting thier stories here just because of this problem, i ask myself 'what does this show'? I guess you understand it. You must learn to stand and approach every trouble that arrive. This is just part of the problem you ought to have taken into consideration before going into the course of writing. As every job/ activity comes with a challenge, one must be able to fight for his/her right.

If you don't get to convince the thief and his followers, pray for him that he may change not to get discouraged in your doings over their actions, since your concience is clear that it is your work.

Bro, I agree with you. Not for any reason will I stop writing on Nairaland so far I have the time. Plagiarists can keep copying my works, but they'll be suprised that they'll only find half of my works.
I'll be deleting my stories in the coming weeks.
Re: Open Letter To Literature-landers- By D9ty7. by Fatalveli(m): 12:44pm On Jan 27, 2015
Can you believe that I didn't know the meaning of plagiarism until it happened to Tiffany, I didn't even know whether some people steal stories here on NL and some other sites, that is why I accused Shaxee or what is her name, I even wanted to contact the author of the story "All I've never wanted" but the person is a chinese, that was why I let it slid. After I heard of Tiffany's facebook ordeal, I decided to type the name of my stories on google and Lo! I saw it on a blog, one TemitopeDaniel is the author(I'm sure it ain't T.dan) you people should see the chants and praises he is receiving while I crack my brain to scribble something down, I even beg people to comment and criticise me but the only end up telling me to update, all they want is Update and nothing else. I heard today is the last day of the Voting stuff and I took it upon myself to broadcast it in here but damn, only 3 peoples has voted so far. I saw many stories on that site, written by bluestarry, snakie, davidflo, kinwayne and many other writers and I wanted to say it here on NL but I got ban, I even used my second account only to get banned again and the post got removed! I'm annoyed and discouraged at the same time and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Even after all what D9ty7 and stuff said, I'm sure many people will just over-look this and hiss, but you all can only vote for us to be awarded. You cannot Reward us. I'll be really glad if we change this attitude because it ain't proper. Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Open Letter To Literature-landers- By D9ty7. by Onemansquad(m): 1:05pm On Jan 27, 2015
Wia d mods dis piece suppose dy front page
*obinnau* and co
Re: Open Letter To Literature-landers- By D9ty7. by D9ty7(m): 1:16pm On Jan 27, 2015
Fatalveli, I considered my options before I created this thread, I knew it won't go anywhere, people won't read, neither would they contribute, but the few people who will read it, at least it will change their mindset.
Re: Open Letter To Literature-landers- By D9ty7. by D9ty7(m): 1:17pm On Jan 27, 2015
Onemansquad:
Wia d mods dis piece suppose dy front page
*obinnau* and co
Threads like this are not frontpage worthy.
Re: Open Letter To Literature-landers- By D9ty7. by D9ty7(m): 1:22pm On Jan 27, 2015
Fatalveli, if you can help us, please give the links to those sites, I think we can always do something about it.
If we can protect one another, then I see no reason why plagiarist would stop stealing our works.
When I saw some writers leave, I felt like leaving also, but I can't leave. I'll rather remove my stories from here as soon as I am through with them than run away.
Even writers like, LarrySun, Repogirl, whitemosquito, Glowingscene, Ishilove we don't know where they are presently. I know some of them are now writing on their blogs, but those who are not with a blog. probably ran away cos of plagiarism.
Re: Open Letter To Literature-landers- By D9ty7. by kinwayne(m): 1:38pm On Jan 27, 2015
D9ty7! I salute you bro for this wonderful piece. You have been in this business for quite some time and I believe that with our collective efforts we can fight and conquer plagiarism.

I respect all you've said about encouragement to the upcoming writers. I don't know why people find it hard to encourage an upcoming writer with their comments but then, if the writer suspends the story, they would complain.

Let us (the readers) try to encourage the writers in whatever way we can, as it goes a long way to boost and motivate the writers. And also, just like the Original Poster(Op) has said, let us try to involve inmasse in any voting exercise intended to encourage our writers financially or otherwise, cuz that is where we would receive our joy, in the sense that we would have this feeling of contentment and happiness that all our writing isn't in vain and we've got followers who would always stand by us.

Just my 2cents.. Kinwayne.
Re: Open Letter To Literature-landers- By D9ty7. by Fatalveli(m): 1:47pm On Jan 27, 2015
D9ty7:
Fatalveli, if you can help us, please give the links to those sites, I think we can always do something about it.
If we can protect one another, then I see no reason why plagiarist would stop stealing our works.
When I saw some writers leave, I felt like leaving also, but I can't leave. I'll rather remove my stories from here as soon as I am through with them than run away.
Even writers like, LarrySun, Repogirl, whitemosquito, Glowingscene, Ishilove we don't know where they are presently. I know some of them are now writing on their blogs, but those who are not with a blog. probably ran away cos of plagiarism.

www.wapgoodies.com

www.nigeriawebsitedesign.com

www.wapka.me
Re: Open Letter To Literature-landers- By D9ty7. by D9ty7(m): 2:03pm On Jan 27, 2015
Re: Open Letter To Literature-landers- By D9ty7. by repogirl(f): 2:22pm On Jan 27, 2015
D9ty7, good talk..... Seems the only way forward is to delete parts of one's story upon completion and if anyone wants the remaining parts, they should buy it from the writer..... Its about time writers here earned a little something after all the time and effort.

1 Like

Re: Open Letter To Literature-landers- By D9ty7. by Dygeasy(m): 2:23pm On Jan 27, 2015
D9ty7:
Another pressing issue is the writers encouragement:
Personally, I have no reason to complain about this because I have recieved more than enough encouragements in terms of comments and other things that could encourage a writer, but the same can not be said about the new set of writers that we have around here.
If I decide to post a story on Nairaland and after five straight update, I can't count at least fifteen updates, then I'll have to consider the options that I have. Afterall, no one is paying me, therefore no one has the right to hold me responsible if I decide to stop writing. Believe me, I once checked the literature section not too long ago and the first five topics I saw were stories, I checked back after an hour and this five topics still occupies the first five positions with no new comment and nothing new, whereas in other sections, in a minute, you'll get at least five comments, while in the literature section, in a day, you'll get a comment and about 5 views increase.
If you check some popular sections, you'll see about five hundred registered members viewing the section with the same amount of guest while a thread will have at least a hundred registered viewers. If the thread makes front page, it tripples, but in the literature section, hardly will you see hundred registered users viewing the board while on a thread with the highest viewers will have about thirteen registered users and six guests viewing. If such thread makes the frontpage, you'll see about seventy registered users and hundred guests, check back after ten minutes, hardly will you see twenty five registered users.
Abeg, are we writing rubbish? Please tell us, so we can work on it or better still stop writing.
The readers don't comment and when they do, all they write is, "you are the bomb! Next update please." These comments does little or nothing in encouraging these writers.
At the same time we are fighting plagiarists, we are begging people to at least comment on our stories, even if na to book space. Its very bad.
I have seen a writer who for the past one week is always calling on his people to come and read and while they read, only one person will comment and since that last week, the same person has been commenting after every update.
And while some people will complain that there are so many abandoned stories on Nairaland, who will post when he knew he won't get any new comment. The same thing everyone talks about, the writer is the bomb. Achebe never called Adichie the bomb when he read her book. Give these people detailed comment, tell them what you think, what you think should be done.
Believe there is not writer here on Nairaland that is 50%, we are all below average which is why our stories are being posted for you to read and correct.
All in all, lets work on the issue of comments, likes and shares, they serve as encouragement to we writers.
A popular writer was talking about how he normally bounce his dinner just to enable him type late into the night to satisfy we his readers, sleepless nights, as a student, he won't read his notes, he would always want to satisfy us and in the end, while his GDP falls and he log in to nairaland, hoping to see comments that will lift his spirit, all he would see are people complaining that he his taking too long, he is starving them. Is that the encouragement that he needs? We can do better.
LOL.

1 Like

Re: Open Letter To Literature-landers- By D9ty7. by Nobody: 2:44pm On Jan 27, 2015
I actually read all through this post.

The encouragement part caught my attention, very true. You may have to speak for yourself though, you want the encouragement/criticism...not every writer wants that @ criticism.

I can remember vividly asking a question/criticism on a work here on Nairaland, the writer(I don't wanna mention names) gave me this exegegis on how professional writing works. Yes he/she is a writer, I am a financier- I may not know the Pros and Cons of writing but @least from a neutral point of view I believe I made lil sense. He/she didn't even consider my point.

Since then, I don't comment @ all or I write "you're the bomb" - I actually thought they love to hear that. grin

I have also seen situations where you criticise and some people would come for you like an anticipated prey.

2 Likes

Re: Open Letter To Literature-landers- By D9ty7. by Nobody: 3:18pm On Jan 27, 2015
Kachisbarbie:
I actually read all through this post.

The encouragement part caught my attention, very true. You may have to speak for yourself though, you want the encouragement/criticism...not every writer wants that @ criticism.

I can remember vividly asking a question/criticism on a work here on Nairaland, the writer(I don't wanna mention names) gave me this exegegis on how professional writing works. Yes he/she is a writer, I am a financier- I may not know the Pros and Cons of writing but @least from a neutral point of view I believe I made lil sense. He/she didn't even consider my point.

Since then, I don't comment @ all or I write "you're the bomb" - I actually thought they love to hear that. grin

I have also seen situations were you criticise and some people would come for you like an anticipated prey.
Oh! I remember this case. The guy began to show off his accolade. I could stop laughing
Re: Open Letter To Literature-landers- By D9ty7. by Nobody: 3:20pm On Jan 27, 2015
The biggest problem with literature section is that most writers here are egotistical. They have an over-inflated opinion abt demselves. From the mods in the section to d oldies. The problems you talkd abt will keep on happening unless you guys change. I wrote a story in sexuality section and people contacted me to buy my story and i sold it to the first person,initially i was reluctant to sell but pple advised me to. You see when you have a good story and a nice attitude you'l get lucky. I was even contacted by a publisher in new york to complete a similar kind of story for them all from sexuality section. Problaby if it was literature section it would hv been a different story. And remember that most Nigerians dont like to read,that is the biggest factor.
Before my story was bought,they told me to check for copyright infringement using copyscape.com,you imput like two sentences and they scan the web for you and give you a result of websites using stories with those sentences. Another website you can use is plagium.com. Its quite self explanatory when you visit the site. Above all make your stories interesting and mind your diction,proper spelling and all that,it attracts the serious fishes.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Open Letter To Literature-landers- By D9ty7. by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jan 27, 2015
I appreciate the fact that you came up with something like this, D9ty7. On the issue of plagiarism, we can delete most part of our stories to discourage plagiarists.

The point that really caught my attention was the issue of comments. To me personally, the comments are my motivational factors. I am so busy I shouldn't even write here at all, i need all the time for my resdearch work, but I always make out time to update because of the comments.

Even if I win the N5000, I'll probably use it to buy recharge cards for my most consistent readers whose comments always bring me back to my stories. Not because they need it, but because I appreciate them just as much as they appreciate me. But when people read and don't leave comments, good or bad, it's disheartening.

Once again, thanks for this piece.

1 Like

Re: Open Letter To Literature-landers- By D9ty7. by SexySapphire(f): 5:44pm On Jan 27, 2015
I reckon with all what you said d9ty7 especially with the plagiarism and the support from readers. I know how painful it can be to find your brain cracked work elsewhere without proper recognition given to you. I think what you suggested about deleting some parts is what will work out for you guys for now until a better solution is found.
As for the encouragement from readers, I don't know everybody's excuse but just as kachisbarbie said, some writers don't like to be corrected or criticized. They feel they are always right. I could remember a story I commented on where I brought to light where I felt mistakes came in, maybe I was overtly harsh with my comment but I later heard that I was discussed, insulted and almost banned for saying what I felt was wrong with a story. I can't just be blind to faults in stories cos I'm a graduate of English and Literature and I read novels a lot and I'm a lover of anything prose. So after all that, do you think I will ever in my nairaland life tell a writer I'm not close to the wrongs in his/her story? No, I will never cos I won't want to be labelled a killjoy. So I will keep telling most of them what they wanna hear or better still not read the story again when I notice too many mistakes.
For the nomination and voting of writers for the 5k prize, I think the problem is that people don't want to offend their favourite writers. You can imagine me reading like 5 dope stories at the same time where I actively participate, the problem sets in when I'm told to vote for just one person! Who will I vote for without making the others feel less worthy? That's my own point of view as to the problems.
It was nice and initiative of you to bring this up d9ty7. Kudos to you and I wish all nairaland writers both old, new and upcoming all the very best.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Open Letter To Literature-landers- By D9ty7. by Deeninetyseven(m): 5:52pm On Jan 27, 2015
My main account has been banned, so I'll just use my alternate account to reply some comments.
Re: Open Letter To Literature-landers- By D9ty7. by Deeninetyseven(m): 6:04pm On Jan 27, 2015
SexySapphire:
I reckon with all what you said d9ty7 especially with the plagiarism and the support from readers. I know how painful it can be to find your brain cracked work elsewhere without proper recognition given to you. I think what you suggested about deleting some parts is what will work out for you guys for now until a better solution is found.
As for the encouragement from readers, I don't know everybody's excuse but just as kachisbarbie said, some writers don't like to be corrected or criticized. They feel they are always right. I could remember a story I commented on where I brought to light where I felt mistakes came in, maybe I was overtly harsh with my comment but I later heard that I was discussed, insulted and almost banned for saying what I felt was wrong with a story. I can't just be blind to faults in stories cos I'm a graduate of English and Literature and I read novels a lot and I'm a lover of anything prose. So after all that, do you think I will ever in my nairaland life tell a writer I'm not close to the wrongs in his/her story? No, I will never cos I won't want to be labelled a killjoy. So I will keep telling most of them what they wanna hear or better still not read the story again when I notice too many mistakes.
For the nomination and voting of writers for the 5k prize, I think the problem is that people don't want to offend their favourite writers. You can imagine me reading like 5 dope stories at the same time where I actively participate, the problem sets in when I'm told to vote for just one person! Who will I vote for without making the others feel less worthy? That's my own point of view as to the problems.
It was nice and initiative of you to bring this up d9ty7. Kudos to you and I wish all nairaland writers both old, new and upcoming all the very best.
Well, I agree with the issue of writers feeling somehow when you criticise their works, but I haven't met those writers, maybe it is because I follow about 3-4 stories around here presently. Therefore I don't know what to say about that.
But I stand to disagree with you on the issue of voting for your favourite writers. This voting stuff is a continuous thing, so if you didn't vote for me last month, there is every possibility that you'll vote for me this month.
There was a time like that when someone wanted to vote for her favourite writer some months back, she had to personally message me that she was sorry for not voting for me, even though I failed to notice.
I have a mentality that if you didn't acknowledge me today, that means I am not doing something right.
I can vividly remember this time last year, hardly will I get mentions from other threads, but today alone, I know the number of the mentions that I have gotten. When a new story starts, they'll acknowledge d9ty7, readers will tell the writers to read my stories to learn one or two things, they'll call on me to come and correct their errors. Its not an achievement and its nothing to be proud of, but at least, that shows improvement.
So I don't think any writer will feel bad if he wasn't voted for. He should ask himself whatever other writers are doing that he is not doing right.
But all the same, we are in this ship together and we must sail to the other side.
Plagiarists, we'll spoil their markets.

1 Like

Re: Open Letter To Literature-landers- By D9ty7. by Deeninetyseven(m): 6:15pm On Jan 27, 2015
fabiano09:
Boss, I agree with you on the issue of ego and pride among literature section writers.
You know that moment when a new reader starts his story here and he decides to acknoledge the writers he met around, hardly will you see them respond or comment on such thread.
The problem is, we are giving too much importance to the writers around here, because we think writing is the most difficult thing to do.
For some reasons I won't mention names, but believe me, there is a guy here, I met him a while ago and from what I saw, he is very good when it comes to grammer and the use of English generally, but he is not a writer.
The few corrections that I saw him make are high class and I have maximum respect for him. But new writers on nairaland will always call on writers alone to come and correct their works, while we have hundreds of people who can write better than the writers around here, but they don't have the time to post online and also the issue of plagiarism.
I know a lot about their egos, I am a writer too and everytime I get mentions, I try as much as possible to respond to at least seventy percent of them despite my busy schedule while some writers won't respond to mentions at all, even from their fellow writers, some will even complain of being mentioned. As if their moniker is a treasure, but for the sake of the issue being discussed here, lets leave it at that.
Re: Open Letter To Literature-landers- By D9ty7. by kingphilip(m): 8:20pm On Jan 27, 2015
d9ty7 I quite agree with most of what u pointed out here

on the measure that should be taken concerning the plagiarism, I tend to fault something there which is:
sometimes most people involved in this copy this as fast as the original writer updates if they don't post it then, they might probably store it somewhere to post later so even u removing most after completion might b a waste of time too
for me looking at it from a point, I think frank317 did something about his story.THE REINCARNATION which he was writing before the tsunami cleared it, he wrote the story upto 50% and stopped posting asking anybody who wants the completion should pay a token then to get it.. this alternative is partially good but it has it's own demerits too..

concerning the encouragement thingy sometimes I don't comment not because I do not enjoy the writeup but maybe I have my followed topics piled up and sometimes try to read through and leave without commenting.. I'm using this medium to say I'm Sorry to every writer I've chopped and cleaned mouth without a comment I'm promising to changeā€¦

on the part of the criticism, I don't criticize much probably because English had never been my friend all along so if there's a grammatical blunder, I won't be able to dictate because my brain might have gotten what the writer is trying to put across to the readers.. if u even check this dogo turenchi wey I de talk too u fit see enough blunders self.. abeg make una no crucify me

dygeasy hwfa with THE JOB now... shey u know say u b da bomb tongue
Re: Open Letter To Literature-landers- By D9ty7. by Oyinprince(m): 10:35pm On Jan 27, 2015
kingphilip:
d9ty7 I quite agree with most of what u pointed out here

on the measure that should be taken concerning the plagiarism, I tend to fault something there which is:
sometimes most people involved in this copy this as fast as the original writer updates if they don't post it then, they might probably store it somewhere to post later so even u removing most after completion might b a waste of time too
True
Re: Open Letter To Literature-landers- By D9ty7. by Nobody: 10:53pm On Jan 27, 2015
D9ty7:
Re: Open Letter To Literature-landers- By D9ty7. by Nobody: 11:04pm On Jan 27, 2015
bro me too those bloggers don do me strong thing. I agree with all the points you made. We writers need encouragement to keep writing.
I've been in a situation were a reader said i was doing copy and paste work. Copying from a site and pasting it on my thread. I almost stop writing if not from the encouragement i got from tiffanyj.

Fatelvali, my works are copied too and pasted on different blogs. I heard d9ty7 is working on his blog, we might pull our story over there.

We all need to come together so we can be able to fight plagiarism.

So sad one will be spending his time combining thoughts to form words the other will be there copying his works once it posted online, living on another mans glory.
Re: Open Letter To Literature-landers- By D9ty7. by bigwig97(m): 11:12pm On Jan 27, 2015
[quote author=D9ty7 post=30176466]Another pressing issue is the writers encouragement: but the same can not be said about the new set of writers that we have around here.
If I decide to post a story on Nairaland and after five straight update, I can't count at least fifteen updates, then I'll have to consider the options that I have. Afterall, no one is paying me, therefore no one has the right to hold me responsible if I decide to stop writing. Believe me, I once checked the literature section not too long ago and the first five topics I saw were stories, I checked back after an hour and this five topics still occupies the first five positions with no new comment and nothing new, whereas in other sections, in a minute, you'll get at least five comments, while in the literature section, in a day, you'll get a comment]

2ru talk, oga D... this comment aspect is really discouraging new writers. but i hope ppl will change after reading this

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5)

Love And Snakes / The Red Girl (18+) / Daylight Mysteries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.