Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,808 members, 7,862,670 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 10:42 PM

Nigeria Vs Argentina: Thoughts - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Vs Argentina: Thoughts (678 Views)

Nigeria Vs Sudan: Afcon Qualifiers (3 - 1) On 15th October 2014 / Nigeria Vs Argentina: Olympics Basketball (79 - 93) On 4th August 2012 / Nigeria Vs Argentina 2011 Friendly: 4 - 1 (Eagles Thump Argies) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Vs Argentina: Thoughts by JIY: 7:32pm On Jun 12, 2010
On a positive note, this wasn't a bad performance but for the conceded goal. Let me explain: If the purpose of this match was to stifle the spaces of the last third of the Nigerian halve of the field, then it worked, notwithstanding the occasions that Messi and company managed to breach the defense. Had we not conceded the goal, I believe we would be commending this performance. This is not to say that the Eagles played well.

A few players gave a positive performance. Vincent Enyeama was, of course, brilliant in goal. But for him, we would have lost the match by a wider margin. Ogbuke was the one outstanding player in the first halve, but because he played on the left wing and was unable use the "cut-back" technique, which would have enabled him to shoot with the right foot instead of his weaker left, his final shots were inaccurate. The few promising moves Nigeria made were more potent from the left flank, first with Ogbuke in the first halve of the match and then with Odemwingie in the second (although Kalu Uche, when played on the right flank seemed to impact the match and create some good moves). One thing Odemwingie did well was being in position whenever a long pass was executed from the right wing to the left in the last quarter of the Argentinean halve. Things always looked promising whenever he collected these passes, though his final crosses were weak.

Kalu Uche, beside being occasionally out of position and loosing possession more than necessary, was one player that engaged the opponent on occasion; others were Ogbuke, Odemwingie, and Martins, and to some degree Kaita. This not withstanding, engagement was virtually lacking from the Eagles' game.

Overall, commendation aside, this was an awful performance for Nigeria. Virtually all my observations regarding the match against North Korea (see my posting: Nigeria vs North Korea: Thoughts) resurfaced. I had mentioned the lack of midfield in the team in that post,  and observed that this caused the attackers to play deep as though they were midfielders. This was the case today as well (although I understand that this might have been part of the game plan). Having conceded the midfield to Argentina, one would have expected a better ability to hold on to the ball by the attackers whenever Nigeria regained possession. But like the North Korea match, the Eagles were too quickly dispossessed, were frantic on the ball (I had said in the forementioned post that this resulted from want of confidence by the players, this, I believe, is true), lost every battle for loose balls, and  failed to challenge the opponents for the ball—compare this failure with how Barcelona and Spain use what I call a “triangular system” to cage-in a ball-possessing player. One other thing I mentioned last week is the unbelievable lack of ability from the Eagles to string together accurate passes. This was true today.  Half of the passes were to the opponent. Beside the preceding, the team also lacks basic attacking verve. There seems to be a deliberate lackadaisical approach to playing that makes the team look slow and ponderous when going forward. All in all, this is still Amodu's Eagles. I have noticed no change in its style.

I always allow coaches the benefit of a doubt, and like to think that they know the game better than the average armchair commentator or analyst, but I must confess that some team selection for a match and substitutions often leave me baffled. I question why Martins is being used as a substitute. This a player who is always sharp on the attack  if played solely as an attacker without the need to double back as a midfielder.

Here is the kind of formation I would expect Lagerback to field: Drop Yakubu deeper in the middle to play as an attacking midfielder (this is what he has been forced to play anyway by the team's lack of form); field Martins as the main attacker, meaning that he would have Yakubu just behind him for support; play Obguke on the right flank (Obinna could then come on for him when there is need for substitution), Odemwingie would play on the left wing, much like he is doing at the moment. Playing deeper, Yakubu would be able to partner with Lukman Haruna, allowing Kaita to play in a more defensive position.

Though we lost today, and though it is my belief that this team is not good (in fact, this is the weakest team we have had in a long while), hope is not yet lost. We might be able to beat South Korea (though they looked technically solid, composed and purposeful today) and Greece. If we do, we could still qualify for the round of sixteen.

Adios.

(1) (Reply)

Pres. Jonathan Suspends Super Eagles / How, When And Will Nigeria Ever Find Another Okocha Again? / Shocker: Eagles' Obama Cup May Be A Fraud

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.