Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,977 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:18 AM

It's About To Get Slippery In Here - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / It's About To Get Slippery In Here (3323 Views)

Toyota Camry 2007 Xle Slippery Light On And VSC Notification (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: It's About To Get Slippery In Here by Nobody: 2:01am On Jul 22, 2018
Continuing (with much chagrin to a certain Nairalander that is worth less than a plankton grin ).

So I ask you guys, what mechanism do you have in place to remind you of an impending oil change?
Re: It's About To Get Slippery In Here by Nobody: 2:18am On Jul 22, 2018
1) PIC #1: I use a free app that works pretty good. It alerts me via email/sms before it is due.

2) PIC #2: So the alert is identified when the app is opened. Almost everyone has a smartphone and the app if free so there's no excuse to miss an oil change.

3) PIC #3: After doing a lab test previously I am comfortable with my setting a 6 months and 5,000 mile oil change. I use Mobil 1 specifically and MANN filter. Don't try this with Dino oil or some cheap a$$ Fram filter.

So even though we've crossed the threshold of 6 months, I am going to wait till I cross the 5,000 miles to do the oil change. I might do it if I do go into the engine bay before then I will do the change.

Re: It's About To Get Slippery In Here by Hustlersdiary: 3:08pm On Jul 22, 2018
Re: It's About To Get Slippery In Here by obekediamondfuto(m): 4:05pm On Jul 22, 2018
Crownhouxe:
Simply, self PROMOTION! Thank GOD that He has blessed you with your opportunities and privileges. Most Americans would not be impressed with the fact that that you have two European vehicles and a bike - big deal. You are are trying to impress upon members of this forum shamelessly and arrogantly because most don't know about Autozones, Pep Boys or even Walmart. We hear others on this forum tell us their products are from the USA, but you have to let us know it's from a Walmart close to where you live in Duarte, California. Who cares? Perhaps you are trying to impress those who wish they had your opportunity to travel back and forth to the US. Some on the forum actually do. Next time post on your local online forum for the benefit of residents of Duarte, California.

cc demeanors

haba na baba u dey talk to like this?

2 Likes

Re: It's About To Get Slippery In Here by Nobody: 4:42pm On Jul 22, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

cc demeanors

haba na baba u dey talk to like this?

Don’t mind am.

Now when okada collect his leg for street now they’ll blame Buhari not knowing he done provoke Ijebu man before grin
Re: It's About To Get Slippery In Here by Nobody: 4:45pm On Jul 22, 2018
Hustlersdiary:
Let's cart some iPhone X and Samsung s9 with your AT&T grin grin grin @op

Me wey dey still manage a lowly iPhone 7 grin

I haven’t seen any reason to upgrade yet.
Re: It's About To Get Slippery In Here by Nobody: 5:05am On Jul 27, 2018
Pic 1: The Jetta has an underbody panel that needs to be removed. It's about 8 screws. i curse the engineers at VW everytime I do an oil change when Have to remove it but it serves a purpose by keeping air in the engine bay. Do not leave this off.

Pic 2: I typically use a jack and stand but I used the ramp this time. Which do you use and why?

Pic 3: Always pre fill the oil filter when possible. This will help get oil pressure quickly doing the initial cold start.

Pic 4: Next oil change in Feb/March 2019 grin

Re: It's About To Get Slippery In Here by radautoworks: 3:20am On Jul 28, 2018
gbam. now here's the challenge. 20 minutes next time wink
Re: It's About To Get Slippery In Here by DUNKA(m): 9:51am On Jul 28, 2018
kingreign:
I'm back from my 6 weeks incarceration. E no go beta for that cow dung that incarcerated me angry

Ehen I know I missed plenty ooo
Chiefo please which of the Toyota hilux do they consider to be Shell Specifications?

Kindly advise
Re: It's About To Get Slippery In Here by kingreign(m): 1:00pm On Jul 28, 2018
DUNKA:
Chiefo please which of the Toyota hilux do they consider to be Shell Specifications?

Kindly advise

i hear some folks talking about shell specs, however, toyota never mentioned any hilux as shell specs. but i think its those units with bigger tyres body wheel arch claddings that 4X4 wheel drive systems and also have tonneau cover at the cargo bed that folks refer to as shell specs.
Re: It's About To Get Slippery In Here by DUNKA(m): 1:57pm On Jul 28, 2018
kingreign:

i hear some folks talking about shell specs, however, toyota never mentioned any hilux as shell specs. but i think its those units with bigger tyres body wheel arch claddings that 4X4 wheel drive systems and also have tonneau cover at the cargo bed that folks refer to as shell specs.
Thanks
Re: It's About To Get Slippery In Here by Piyke: 3:35pm On Jul 28, 2018
EgunMogaji:
Continuing (with much chagrin to a certain Nairalander that is worth less than a plankton grin ).

So I ask you guys, what mechanism do you have in place to remind you of an impending oil change?

Hi Egun, thanks a lot for this thread. Always delighted to see auto part pics.

I'm laid back with tracking in between oil changes...was using a print out of the service schedule from my manual. I just enter the mileage and maintenance done. Nowadays, for oil changes, I use my Trip B function for tracking. I change between 3k - 4k miles and use Dino oil. My car doesn't call for synthetic.
Re: It's About To Get Slippery In Here by Piyke: 3:41pm On Jul 28, 2018
EgunMogaji:
Pic 1: The Jetta has an underbody panel that needs to be removed. It's about 8 screws. i curse the engineers at VW everytime I do an oil change when Have to remove it but it serves a purpose by keeping air in the engine bay. Do not leave this off.

Pic 2: I typically use a jack and stand but I used the ramp this time. Which do you use and why?

Pic 3: Always pre fill the oil filter when possible. This will help get oil pressure quickly doing the initial cold start.

Pic 4: Next oil change in Feb/March 2019 grin

Is the drill a Ryobi? Are the spread cartons serving as your mat? I'm sure you have something special (I remember that decimation you caused with your arsenal years back shocked)
Re: It's About To Get Slippery In Here by Nobody: 3:55pm On Jul 28, 2018
Piyke:

Is the drill a Ryobi? Are the spread cartons serving as your mat? I'm sure you something more special (I remember that decimation you caused with your arsenal years back shocked)

Yeah that’s a Ryobi.

The cartons work well for me. I have a mechanic crawler but I only use it when I’ll be under the car for a while.

Porter Cabie set is going to ibadan on the next trip grin

Re: It's About To Get Slippery In Here by Nobody: 4:01pm On Jul 28, 2018
Piyke:

Hi Egun, thanks a lot for this thread. Always delighted to see auto part pics.

I'm laid back with tracking in between oil changes...was use a print out of the service schedule from my manual. I just enter the mileage and maintenance done. Nowadays, for oil changes, I use my Trip B function for tracking oil changes. I change between 3k - 4k miles and use Dino oil. My car doesn't call for synthetic.

Manual tracking system works well too. I think most modern cars even have a service warning system now.

Regarding synthetic oil, it’s not only used when your car calls for it. Synthetic oils just offers better protection overall.

My oil change interval is 6 months AND 5,000 miles. I can comfortably stretch up to 7,500 miles per a testing lab. My neighbor does 10,000 miles oil change.

Do not try that with dinosaur oil.

1 Like

Re: It's About To Get Slippery In Here by Nobody: 3:15am On Aug 09, 2018
Completion of this round of the "Slippery When Wet" show grin

Part two in Feb/March 2019

Re: It's About To Get Slippery In Here by radautoworks: 7:13am On Aug 09, 2018
Crownhouxe:
Simply, self PROMOTION! Thank GOD that He has blessed you with your opportunities and privileges. Most Americans would not be impressed with the fact that that you have two European vehicles and a bike - big deal. You are are trying to impress upon members of this forum shamelessly and arrogantly because most don't know about Autozones, Pep Boys or even Walmart. We hear others on this forum tell us their products are from the USA, but you have to let us know it's from a Walmart close to where you live in Duarte, California. Who cares? Perhaps you are trying to impress those who wish they had your opportunity to travel back and forth to the US. Some on the forum actually do. Next time post on your local online forum for the benefit of residents of Duarte, California.

What got your panties in a bunch !!?!!?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

See The Tesla Electric SUV That Was Spotted In A Village In Anambra (PHOTOS) / Help! My Front Tyre Rim Gets Very Hot / Dealing With Dashboard Light Issues On Your Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.