Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,335 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:57 AM

Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors (6660 Views)

LAGRIDE Operators Retrieving Vehicles Without Notice, Taking Our Jobs – Drivers / 5 Benefits Of Taking Our Bioinformatics Course / Father Christmas Shares Gifts To LEADERSHIP Newspaper Staff (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors by myhotjobz: 2:17pm On Jul 17, 2018
Nowadays e-advertisement also called ads is a major driving force to get your business noticed around the world within seconds!

For Free Banner placing, text link and guest post publication, contact myhotjobz@gmail.com or 07039149150 today. It is absolutely free

quote author=sophsia62 post=69461527]Newspaper vendors in Bauchi say they are facing hard times following a drop in sales of newspapers as a result of the advent of online publications.

‎Some of them, who spoke with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Tuesday said that they were almost thrown out of job as most of them had to look for other means of sustaining themselves and their families.

One of them, Sani Ismaeel, lamented the development, saying he had been reflecting with nostalgia, the ‘good old days’ when they were in ‘real business’.

“I have been a newspaper vendor for over 15 years but vendors now have challenge of lack of sales; with the advent of online publications, people have now resorted to reading online newspapers.

‎“This has adversely affected the sales of newspapers, leaving us helpless; in those years, I make at least N30, 000 daily, now I hardly make N3000 a day.

‎“This is affecting me economically; I cannot meet up with my family obligations, which are essential,” he said.

‎ Another Vendor, Rilwanu Ubale, said prominent customers noted for buying newspapers, and who even booked for same in advance in those days, no longer do same.

‎“I can sit here the whole day without making N4000, unlike 10 years ago, when I used to make 30,000 to N40, 000 daily.

‎“My means of livelihood is at stake; I find it difficult to cater for my family now,” he lamented..

‎‎Musa Ahmed, a Vendor, told NAN that he had been selling newspapers in Bauchi for 15 years but never had it bad until the advent of online papers.

“Honestly, we have had a drop of not less than 70 percent in sales and I have no over job than this one.

‎“It is the only means for securing the basic necessities for the family; we are going through hell now and I am in a dilemma,” he said.

‎Babayo Adamu, another vendor, explained that the drop in the sales of newspaper would sooner than later sweep all of them out of job.

‎“It is not business as usual; definitely, it is never a happy moment for us; we will be here from morning till night, but make nothing significant,” he said.

‎‎Abdullahi Ahmed, a media practitioner, said that the economic situation in the country, coupled with the emergence of the new media, is making the print media shrink, both in number and circulation.

‎“At the rate at which sales of newspapers is dropping on a daily basis, we shall soon wake up to find out that newspaper vendors had gone extinct because the job no longer pays,” he said.

A newspaper reader, Bulus Kazhi, said online papers were making headway.

‎“They deploy the use of social media to circulate wider and faster, on twitter, WhatsApp, Facebook, and so on.

‎“The news is broken as it is happening, whereas, the mainstream newspapers have to wait to report it the following day, and the reader may not want to read stories that happened a day before.

‎“Some print media even quote online sources in their stories; by the time the print goes to press, more news is breaking,” he said.

http://www.akelicious.net/2018/07/online-publications-taking-our-jobs.html[/quote]
Re: Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors by sammirano: 2:23pm On Jul 17, 2018
It is only in Nigeria such happens. Today in the US, many are still buying new york times because..your guess is as good as mine.
Re: Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors by Jethrolite(m): 2:24pm On Jul 17, 2018
Nairaland is a major culprit. Nigeria's biggest news aggregator.

While they were making N30k daily instead of saving and observing trends they were enjoying their lives.

2 Likes

Re: Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors by okwabayi(m): 2:45pm On Jul 17, 2018
inoki247:
online News dey get comment section where you cannot fight... but newspaper stand go nd argue anyhow dere dey will break ur head..
This is why most bored kids with no real world knowledge troll nairaland. A lot of the monikers here stay silent in a real life conversation. Once they display idiocy repercussions follow.

1 Like

Re: Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors by okwabayi(m): 2:50pm On Jul 17, 2018
Well, they should follow the times. Nothing lasts forever apart from a few human demands e.g. food, sanitation, hygiene and land/shelter.

I know a lot of businesses where traditional newspapers still reign. They buy so many papers these vendors will quick become millionaires if they secure a contract.
Re: Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors by newoffer: 3:04pm On Jul 17, 2018
U still think like you are in the age of Lord Lugard, same way the elephant bank people were watching the modern technology banks take away their shine. If u don't plan for the future, you lose woefully.

Bauchi lohun lohun . U better start buying recycle paper
Re: Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors by elonize(m): 3:07pm On Jul 17, 2018
But still,this physical papers is still useful
Re: Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors by Nobody: 3:25pm On Jul 17, 2018
Selling newspaper is not the only job available. So, you people should go and do something else and stop trying to hold on to a deadend career.
Opportunities are limited in Nigeria, I know. But look around your environment to identify a problem. Then look for ways to provide solutions to that problem and earn a living from there.

1 Like

Re: Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors by SAMBARRY: 3:29pm On Jul 17, 2018
Wiseandtrue:
Up your game!

It's called competition and technology advancement!

I wonder which century you think we are undecided
in mama peace voice *chaiiiiii * grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors by SAMBARRY: 3:31pm On Jul 17, 2018
grin
okwabayi:

This is why most bored kids with no real world knowledge troll nairaland. A lot of the monikers here stay silent in a real life conversation. Once they display idiocy repercussions follow.
Re: Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors by tbliss22(m): 4:22pm On Jul 17, 2018
Like I do tell people especially the older generation, the train of technology is moving so fast and if you refuse to roll on with it, you will be left behind.

Get acquainted with IT stuffs as new innovation comes up daily. What's wrong with a newspaper seller becoming a blogger?? But they won't upgrade always believing things will remain the same way they were.

More jobs, skilled or unskilled will still go down the drain. Bank tellers should watch out. Immediately the deposit ATM goes viral, boom!!! That's final.....
Re: Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors by Nobody: 5:06pm On Jul 17, 2018
Austema:
I support the motion which states that '''technology has done more harm than good''
# my opinion though
And you are here typing, go sell all are gadgets and go back to the village to farm make body tell you say technology good
Re: Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors by Jaqenhghar: 5:39pm On Jul 17, 2018
This is the 21st century keep up or go home
Re: Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors by Jaqenhghar: 5:42pm On Jul 17, 2018
shitholenation:
Even in the western world that has been so attached to digital world still make sales of newspapers,the truth is that poverty in the land currently is the major reason,people are more concerned about how to survive on a daily basis so with there phone they are ok.
thats a lie. Paper sales are not like before.
Re: Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors by israelmao(m): 8:10pm On Jul 17, 2018
Newspapers?What for when Nairaland can do the summary of them all.
Re: Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors by Badb0y4lyf(m): 2:17am On Jul 18, 2018
What ever technology makes easier it comes at a cost the demerit are lost of jobs for vendor and also fake stories are more rampant unlike the newspaper which by law must publish authentic stories.
Re: Online Publications Taking Our Jobs – Bauchi Newspaper Vendors by Lozano: 7:44am On Jul 18, 2018
Then go online too

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Does The Company Sky Packing Materials Trading: LLC Do? / Thread For Mechanical Engineers. / Street Sweepers In Benin Stage Protest Over Non-payment Of 7 Months Salary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.