Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,905 members, 7,802,934 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:04 AM

Thread For Mechanical Engineers. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Thread For Mechanical Engineers. (6641 Views)

OND Mechanical Engineers Needed Urgently / MECHANICAL ENGINEERS ONLY ( Lets Reason Together) / Clarifications From Professional Mechanical Engineers Are Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thread For Mechanical Engineers. by PigMeat: 11:07am On Jun 19, 2016
Greetings successful mechanical Engineers and Aspirants.
My aim of creating this thread is to enquire from you the successful ones in the field the following:
-the challanges at the start of your pursuits and how u were able to manage them.
-how fair or lucreative it is today in the present day nigerian labour market.
-what advice do u have for us the upcoming mechanical engineering aspirant?
-have we choosen the wrong course i.e if they is any regret u are experiencing at the moment?
-what
-what are the challanges u are facing at the moment?
-At what level of academic certificate do u advice us to try to attain to make it ok or big in the field?
-Are u paid lesser than what u give out?
-if they are other advices or encouragement u have for us, we will appreciate if let them out. Thanks.
Lalasticlala help us here.
Solomon111 or solomon11 u welcomed too.
Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers. by Locotech: 11:24am On Jun 19, 2016
The Nigerian clime is not prepared or advanced enough for Mechanical guys to thrive exceptionally.

Only Civil and building guys become millionaires as soon as they finish NYSC...they are needed like Visa. A small Civil guy can get a bungalow project from a prospective home owner who doesn't want to pay an over experienced Civil Engineer...!

But mechanical, the best you can get is a 100k job...it will look fantastic then but with time u feel trapped in it...because 100k is not money as you would soon find out.

The best way for Mech engine guys is to be innovative and develop new ideas and products even products associated with other fields of endeavour ....cos mech engine guys are brains and are very good at innovations...my brother this is the only way to out shine your sister engineers in Nigeria.

Until Ajokuta steel starts full operation ...Nigeria and Mechanical engineers would never enter the same public transport...not to talk of meeting.

2 Likes

Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers. by PigMeat: 12:19pm On Jun 19, 2016
Locotech:
The Nigerian clime is not prepared or advanced enough for Mechanical guys to thrive exceptionally.

Only Civil and building guys become millionaires as soon as they finish NYSC...they are needed like Visa. A small Civil guy can get a bungalow project from a prospective home owner who doesn't want to pay an over experienced Civil Engineer...!

But mechanical, the best you can get is a 100k job...it will look fantastic then but with time u feel trapped in it...because 100k is not money as you would soon find out.

The best way for Mech engine guys is to be innovative and develop new ideas and products even products associated with other fields of endeavour ....cos mech engine guys are brains and are very good at innovations...my brother this is the only way to out shine your sister engineers in Nigeria.

Until Ajokuta steel starts full operation ...Nigeria and Mechanical engineers would never enter the same public transport...not to talk of meeting.
thank you senior, i appreciate your advices. Are u in the field?
Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers. by Locotech: 12:49pm On Jun 19, 2016
PigMeat:

thank you senior, i appreciate your advices. Are u in the field?

I'm everywhere bro, both Civil and Mechanical...I am experienced in both and even other fields like geotechnics.

Won't I eat?

2 Likes

Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers. by PigMeat: 1:54pm On Jun 19, 2016
Locotech:

I'm everywhere bro, both Civil and Mechanical...I am experienced in both and even other fields like geotechnics.

Won't I eat?
u have to senior. How were u able to combine them all? Which of them is your major field?
Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers. by Naturallyme: 2:08pm On Jun 19, 2016
Mechanical Engineering to wide. Its hard to see someone with expertise in all. When a mechanical engineering position is advertised, check the job description, it may be entirely different from what you are doing as mechanical engineer. This discipline encompasses design and material selection, construction and fabrication, operation, maintenance and maintenance management of mechanical systems. Most times we find ourselves in one or two of these sub-disciplines which might make it difficult to switch to other sub-discipline. Someone with maintenance experience might not be vast in engineering design but both are aspects of mechanical engineering. This is a challenge I noticed about the discipline recently. But considering engagements I still see more mechanical engineers getting engaged more than civils engineers because we are needed in all sectors. Mechanical engineers can work as structural engineer s but a civil engineer can not work dabble into other disciplines. As a mechanical engineer am very much hopeful as am following global trends back to back. So much advancement and mechatronics is taking over.

2 Likes

Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers. by PigMeat: 2:23pm On Jun 19, 2016
Naturallyme:
Mechanical Engineering to wide. Its hard to see someone with expertise in all. When a mechanical engineering position is advertised, check the job description, it may be entirely different from what you are doing as mechanical engineer. This discipline encompasses design and material selection, construction and fabrication, operation, maintenance and maintenance management of mechanical systems. Most times we find ourselves in one or two of these sub-disciplines which might make it difficult to switch to other sub-discipline. Someone with maintenance experience might not be vast in engineering design but both are aspects of mechanical engineering. This is a challenge I noticed about the discipline recently. But considering engagements I still see more mechanical engineers getting engaged more than civils engineers because we are needed in all sectors. Mechanical engineers can work as structural engineer s but a civil engineer can not work dabble into other disciplines. As a mechanical engineer am very much hopeful as am following global trends back to back. So much advancement and mechatronics is taking over.
thank you senior. So which of the branches of mechanical is encouraging? Yea, mechatronics is what i wanted to venture into, but it is rear and difficult to access in tertiary institutions. Highlight me on mechatronics senior.
Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers. by Naturallyme: 2:44pm On Jun 19, 2016
Some schools have it as a course but most schools have it as an option when you get 500 level. It more like automation, application of digital techniques sha. No aspect of mechanical engineering that is not lucrative but if I am to retrace my steps in mechanical with entrepreneurship mindset, will go for automotives and establish my own service center. I have experience in this field though but I think it's outdated.
PigMeat:

thank you senior. So which of the branches of mechanical is encouraging? Yea, mechatronics is what i wanted to venture into, but it is rear and difficult to access in tertiary institutions. Highlight me on mechatronics senior.

1 Like

Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers. by Naturallyme: 2:52pm On Jun 19, 2016
Mechatronics, automation, electromechqnics are all the same, it's just combination of elctrical/electronic engineering with mechanical as the world is moving from analogue to digital. Imagine making rotations with electric motors, the output shaft is connected to some set of gears to vary speed. Now imagine the current supplied to the electric motor is varied by conectng q variable resistor across it.. here you have combined mechanical with electrical. Simple Mechatronics
PigMeat:

1 Like

Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers. by PigMeat: 2:59pm On Jun 19, 2016
Naturallyme:
Mechatronics, automation, electromechqnics are all the same, it's just combination of elctrical/electronic engineering with mechanical as the world is moving from analogue to digital. Imagine making rotations with electric motors, the output shaft is connected to some set of gears to vary speed. Now imagine the current supplied to the electric motor is varied by conectng q variable resistor across it.. here you have combined mechanical with electrical. Simple Mechatronics

thank you senior. Am very greatful. So, can i get direct entry into the university to study mechatronics with my ND Mechanical Engineering result?
Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers. by PigMeat: 3:03pm On Jun 19, 2016
Naturallyme:
Some schools have it as a course but most schools have it as an option when you get 500 level. It more like automation, application of digital techniques sha. No aspect of mechanical engineering that is not lucrative but if I am to retrace my steps in mechanical with entrepreneurship mindset, will go for automotives and establish my own service center. I have experience in this field though but I think it's outdated.
thank you senior. Am very greatful. Is they any discrimination for polytecnic graduate of mechanical eng. In the labour market?
Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers. by Locotech: 3:04pm On Jun 19, 2016
PigMeat:

u have to senior. How were u able to combine them all? Which of them is your major field?

I'm a mechanical engr...but my first project was a tank farm. And every tank must have a foundation so that's how I picked interest in civil works from the civil consultant assigned to the project.

I'm always researching about civil works and my co director is a civil genius ...his buildings are like Photoshop...you wont believe a Nigerian has such eye for detail.

I can take you to where he built this one in PH.

He is just too passionate about buildings...and I consider myself lucky to have such a guy as a friend...

Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers. by Naturallyme: 3:07pm On Jun 19, 2016
Sure U can but most options you will get is mechanical engineering. Av not seen anyone with b.Eng Mechatronics. I started with Nd and hnd before degree too. Got direct entry admission after two attempts..not easy bro. If you get mechanical,do Mechatronics when U get to 500LEVEL.
PigMeat:

thank you senior. Am very greatful. So, can i get direct entry into the university to study mechatronics with my ND Mechanical Engineering result?

1 Like

Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers. by PigMeat: 3:08pm On Jun 19, 2016
Locotech:

I'm a mechanical engr...but my first project was a tank farm. And every tank must have a foundation so that's how I picked interest in civil works from the civil consultant assigned to the project.

I'm always researching about civil works and my co director is a civil genius ...his buildings are like Photoshop...you wont believe a Nigerian has such eye for detail.

I can take you to where he built this one in PH.

He is just too passionate about buildings...and I consider myself lucky to have such a guy as a friend...
It wonderful senior. Why are u y'all deviating from your initial field of studies?
Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers. by PigMeat: 3:11pm On Jun 19, 2016
Naturallyme:
Sure U can but most options you will get is mechanical engineering. Av not seen anyone with b.Eng Mechatronics. I started with Nd and hnd before degree too. Got direct entry admission after two attempts..not easy bro. If you get mechanical,do Mechatronics when U get to 500LEVEL.
thank you senior. Am working hard to come out with distinction or upper credit to aid my direct entry into university. Thank you for your advice. Am relieved now...am so greatful.
Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers. by Locotech: 3:22pm On Jun 19, 2016
PigMeat:

It wonderful senior. Why are u y'all deviating from your initial field of studies?

I'm not deviating ...I love mechanical Engrn any day...and even if I had a second chance...I will still study mech. Nigeria forces you to look for bread everywhere ...you will soon understand what I mean.

My mechanic opened my engine on friday and I discovered that we can actually make engines in Nigeria...in not blabbing ...let me explain.

The engine block is just a container casted with steel or aluminium...the piston sleeves were just fitted into tight grooves in the block with a rubber seal ensuring water and oil dont mix.

The cooling water flows freely inside the block but the sleeve prevents this water from entering the combustion chamber where the pistons slide effortlessly.

I learnt how to operate a lathe machine during IT. And I can machine a piston for you, I can cast a connecting rod, I can machine a crank shaft...I can machine a valve and can shaft.

The only thing that is a major challenge is to cast the engine block because our leaders have vowed that ajaokuta steel will never work as long as they are alive.

So we just need to venture outside our field in order to start life. Nigeria is not ready for Mechanical Engineers...at least most of them.
Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers. by PigMeat: 3:35pm On Jun 19, 2016
Locotech:

I'm not deviating ...I love mechanical Engrn any day...and even if I had a second chance...I will still study mech. Nigeria forces you to look for bread everywhere ...you will soon understand what I mean.

My mechanic opened my engine on friday and I discovered that we can actually make engines in Nigeria...in not blabbing ...let me explain.

The engine block is just a container casted with steel or aluminium...the piston sleeves were just fitted into tight grooves in the block with a rubber seal ensuring water and oil dont mix.

The cooling water flows freely inside the block but the sleeve prevents this water from entering the combustion chamber where the pistons slide effortlessly.

I learnt how to operate a lathe machine during IT. And I can machine a piston for you, I can cast a connecting rod, I can machine a crank shaft...I can machine a valve and can shaft.

The only thing that is a major challenge is to cast the engine block because our leaders have vowed that ajaokuta steel will never work as long as they are alive.

So we just need to venture outside our field in order to start life. Nigeria is not ready for Mechanical Engineers...at least most of them.

it a good one senior. If u are opportuned to put them to work u will make it big. Why not try to apply for job in innoson? Probably put some of this things to work. U knw if it works u have succeded in solving one issue or two. What level were you when u started making use of the lathe machine?

1 Like

Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers. by Locotech: 3:39pm On Jun 19, 2016
PigMeat:

it a good one senior. If u are opportuned to put them to work u will make it big. Why not try to apply for job in innoson? Probably put some of this things to work. U knw if it works u have succeded in solving one issue or two. What level were you when u started making use of the lathe machine?

During IT...Yr 4.
I can't work for salary anymore bro!
Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers. by PigMeat: 3:45pm On Jun 19, 2016
Locotech:

During IT...Yr 4.
I can't work for salary anymore bro!
lol, i will be like u guys somedays.thnk you for the info. Senior. We are few this days in mech. Eng. Are people running from it or it has always been so?
Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers. by Locotech: 3:53pm On Jun 19, 2016
PigMeat:

lol, i will be like u guys somedays.thnk you for the info. Senior. We are few this days in mech. Eng. Are people running from it or it has always been so?

My class was full...though only 3 girls ...but we were almost 200...I don't know what the trend is like now.
Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers. by PigMeat: 4:11pm On Jun 19, 2016
Locotech:

My class was full...though only 3 girls ...but we were almost 200...I don't know what the trend is like now.
we are about 47 ND and 19 diploma students. No female is among us and i heard it has always been so.
Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers. by Locotech: 5:03pm On Jun 19, 2016
PigMeat:

we are about 47 ND and 19 diploma students. No female is among us and i heard it has always been so.

Possible, the story might be different in universities ...
Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers. by PigMeat: 5:09pm On Jun 19, 2016
Locotech:

Possible, the story might be different in universities ...
i pray and hope so. It stressful to stay under lecture full of men only. It is not for the naughty stuff but it is encouraging to study around women, i dont know if it is reduced to me alone. Lol.
Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers. by Locotech: 5:15pm On Jun 19, 2016
PigMeat:

i pray and hope so. It stressful to stay under lecture full of men only. It is not for the naughty stuff but it is encouraging to study around women, i dont know if it is reduced to me alone. Lol.

In mechanical...every lady is a man!
Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers. by Kennyinusa(m): 5:26pm On Jun 19, 2016
Mechanical Engineering!

What a course. What a damn course!

As a Fresh Mechanical Engineering graduate, you can get a job in

Accounting and Auditing Firms (KPMG, PWC....)

Banks (GTB, AccessBank, in fact all of them)

Production Companies (BAT, NESTLE, LAFARGE, CADBURY, DANGOTE, NBC...and the likes)

Oil and Gas Firms (GE, ARIOSH, SHELL, TOTAL)

Engineering Construction (JAGAL, SEVAN, METALMATE, SHI)

Consulting firms, and so many other sectors I can't remember right now.

Only Accounting(and related courses) graduates can challenge mechanical engineering graduates when it come to flexibility.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers. by Naturallyme: 8:59pm On Jun 19, 2016
I wouldn't lie to you, there is. I have passed through both systems (poly and uni), my brother they are different entirely. What we do in the polytechnic is Mechanical Engineering Technology which is more of practicals honestly, university is where the real engineering is taught. MECHANICAL Engineering is more like engineering design using established scientific principles..from HVAC to internal combustion engine design, turbomachinery design and rotordynamics these are real engineering designs with application of engineering mechanics, fluid mechanics and thermodynamics. These courses are not taught in depth in polytechnic. Just to have ideals. But when it comes to manufacturing technologies, workshop practises, industrial maintenance, those are poly courses because they are trained technologists. They are not meant to design. Poly projects are mainly fabrication and construction, university projects are design and construction. As a poly student U can upgrade ur skills and have design capabilities but U need to demonstrate good engineering judgement before U can be trusted.. in my company, poly graduates dominate our drafting department and I feel sad when they are regarded as draftment instead of design engineers, this is because of their limitations even it shows in Dre characters and approach to issues, but we have vast ones among them which I believe if trained can be upgraded. Skill acquisition too is very important for you. Mind you some uni graduates don't know what you know, soo it's a question of personalty. I see many hnd.graduates doing well o.
PigMeat:

thank you senior. Am very greatful. Is they any discrimination for polytecnic graduate of mechanical eng. In the labour market?
Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers. by PigMeat: 10:20pm On Jun 19, 2016
Naturallyme:
I wouldn't lie to you, there is. I have passed through both systems (poly and uni), my brother they are different entirely. What we do in the polytechnic is Mechanical Engineering Technology which is more of practicals honestly, university is where the real engineering is taught. MECHANICAL Engineering is more like engineering design using established scientific principles..from HVAC to internal combustion engine design, turbomachinery design and rotordynamics these are real engineering designs with application of engineering mechanics, fluid mechanics and thermodynamics. These courses are not taught in depth in polytechnic. Just to have ideals. But when it comes to manufacturing technologies, workshop practises, industrial maintenance, those are poly courses because they are trained technologists. They are not meant to design. Poly projects are mainly fabrication and construction, university projects are design and construction. As a poly student U can upgrade ur skills and have design capabilities but U need to demonstrate good engineering judgement before U can be trusted.. in my company, poly graduates dominate our drafting department and I feel sad when they are regarded as draftment instead of design engineers, this is because of their limitations even it shows in Dre characters and approach to issues, but we have vast ones among them which I believe if trained can be upgraded. Skill acquisition too is very important for you. Mind you some uni graduates don't know what you know, soo it's a question of personalty. I see many hnd.graduates doing well o.
thank you senior. I appreciate your advices and informations. God bless you.
Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers. by PigMeat: 10:23pm On Jun 19, 2016
Kennyinusa:
Mechanical Engineering!

What a course. What a damn course!

As a Fresh Mechanical Engineering graduate, you can get a job in

Accounting and Auditing Firms (KPMG, PWC....)

Banks (GTB, AccessBank, in fact all of them)

Production Companies (BAT, NESTLE, LAFARGE, CADBURY, DANGOTE, NBC...and the likes)

Oil and Gas Firms (GE, ARIOSH, SHELL, TOTAL)

Engineering Construction (JAGAL, SEVAN, METALMATE, SHI)

Consulting firms, and so many other sectors I can't remember right now.

Only Accounting(and related courses) graduates can challenge mechanical engineering graduates when it come to flexibility.

thanks for the info. Senior.
Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers. by chika11sydney(m): 7:01am On Jun 26, 2016
cul.pls keep it coming I'm an aspirant too
Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers. by Lordbinsmar: 9:22pm On Jun 27, 2016
This is such a nice thread,am very happy to come across it.Am a mechanical engineering student at Oau Ife,currently in part 3.
Am very passionate about the course that i had to drop my previous course(Architecture),This is a decision i hope i won't regret later in life.due to the high unemployment rate in Nigeria,especially among Engineering students.
To the gurus and seniors in the house,please i need your advice:
Due to the unstable academic calendar of my school,i decided to start learning technical skills during break and strike periods in my school.I read about welding and fabrication,So i applied for break internship at a contracting firm that deals with welding,fabrication and maintenance at Nigerian breweries,but i was turned down.they told me they only employ part 4 students for internship.
Then i started learning Auto mechanics at a near by local Workshop at my area.even though the nature of the job is too stressful,but i can still cope.but the problem is that i find it Uninteresting,and too crude.
This are my Questions:
1). should i forget about learning technical skills and focus on my Academics alone.?
2). will technical skills help me in any way to become a better Mechanical engineer.(either to secure or job or become an entrepreneur) ?
3). can a mechanical engineering become an Entrepreneur,and what are the entrepreneurship opportunity
for a mechanical engineer.?
4). should i continue learning auto mechanics, or switch back to learning welding and fabrication locally,so that I can do my I.T at the contracting company in Nigerian breweries.
5). Which technical skill is more easy to practice in Nigeria,Auto mechanics or Welding and Fabrication.
6). Or should i start learning Engineering software like Solid works,Pro E,Auto desk inventor e.t.c.Will it help me to secure a good job when i graduate,are this software packages really relevant in Nigeria,I read about becoming a Freelance mechanical engineer,but i don't known about any Firm in Nigeria that is into Mechanical engineering design.
7). how Realistic is it to secure scholarship to a good university abroad to further my education.which a strong CG PA.Because am not interested in furthering in Nigeria,as i believe Engineering education in Nigeria is Rubbish,Our syllabus is too Obsolete.

Am confused,Please i need your candid advice:Kennyinusa,Naturallyme,Locotech.e.t.c
Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers. by 1Jamany(m): 10:34am On Jun 28, 2016
Greetings

I need a Building Contractor or Electrical Contractor to start work with as soon as possible. I am an electrician with over 5years of experience.

Skills:
- Residential, commercial and industrial electrification
- Laying of conduit pipes
- House wiring
- Installation of electrical fittings
- Project management
- Electrical maintenance and repair
- Reading and application of electrical drawings
- General electrical works

I reside in Ikorodu, Lagos and willing to work anywhere in Nigeria as the job demands. Here is my contact 07064330958, jamecelectrical@gmail.com

Please suggest a firm/company i can work it
Re: Thread For Mechanical Engineers. by oluwabamis(m): 7:32pm On Jul 24, 2016
Hello fellow engineers, can someone suggest any company specializing in local designs and fab of industrial equipments. Thanks in advance

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nchikota Isiokwu N'ime Akwukwo Akuko Uwa (headline News In Igbo Language) / Will My American Law Degree Be Recognized In Nigeria? / What Can I Do With A Biology Bs Degree In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.