Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,702 members, 7,809,670 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:49 PM

Jerry Okorodudu: I Am Dying Of Hunger - Ex-Boxer - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Jerry Okorodudu: I Am Dying Of Hunger - Ex-Boxer (58142 Views)

Olympics: Medal Guaranteed As Nigerian Wrestler Okorodudu Qualifies Final. / I Need A Job To Feed My Family And Pay Rent - Legendary Boxer, Jerry Okorodudu / Nigerian-born Boxer Bilal Fawaz Who Chose England Over Nigeria Faces Deportation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jerry Okorodudu: I Am Dying Of Hunger - Ex-Boxer by weIMPORT: 7:38pm On Jul 17, 2018
Legendary Nigerian boxer, Jerry Okorodudu says he is dying of hunger over the non-payment of his 10 months’ salary by the Federal Ministry of Youth and Sports.

Okorodudu, Nigeria’s boxer in the 1994 Los Angeles Olympic Games, U.S., says he is owed the salary arrears by the sports ministry without any explanation as he told the told News Agency of Nigeria that the situation had deprived him of providing for his family, adding that he had “resorted to begging in order to eat and feed his family’’.

It will be recalled that the 1982 Brisbane Commonwealth Games bronze medallist had in 2016 gone cap in hands begging the same ministry to pay him 14 months’ salary arrears. The matter was later resolved and he got his salary arrears then.

“I have travelled to Abuja severally and also written letters to the ministry but nothing is forthcoming, all they do is to keep referring me to different people in the ministry. I am dying of hunger and can no longer cater for my family because my salary has not been paid in the last 10 months.

I have represented this country during my active years and should not be treated this way, this is bad. A similar thing happened in 2016 where I petitioned the ministry and the court ordered them to pay me the 14 months salaries they owed me as at then,'’ he said.

The former boxer, who also won two gold medals at the African Championship in 1982, lamented the treatment from the sports ministry in spite of his contributions and sacrifices for the country.

“My pensionable job in the ministry was changed to a contract; the Nigeria Boxing Federation has also sidelined me by removing me from every competition. I represented this country well as an athlete and a coach, but it is a pity that this is happening to me and other former sportsmen and women in the country,’’ he said.

https://lailasnews.com/i-am-dying-of-hunger-legendary-nigerian-boxer-jerry-okorodudu-cries-out/

2 Shares

Re: Jerry Okorodudu: I Am Dying Of Hunger - Ex-Boxer by Bintabisiriyu: 7:50pm On Jul 17, 2018
Nigeria send you?? E better mek u find one laptop even if na fairly used join awon internet gangster

210 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Jerry Okorodudu: I Am Dying Of Hunger - Ex-Boxer by inoki247: 8:16pm On Jul 17, 2018
shebi ur Two hand is still working u beta go nd Hustle if not nobody will hear ur cry.. Nigeria Generally is hungry. . or Make dem give u job for Sars make u dey manage dat one...

79 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jerry Okorodudu: I Am Dying Of Hunger - Ex-Boxer by Paulfroshman: 8:16pm On Jul 17, 2018
Psquare Music Battle: Peter Okoye Vs Paul Okoye - Who Is The Best?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8uRSAfkDmg
Re: Jerry Okorodudu: I Am Dying Of Hunger - Ex-Boxer by feekman(m): 8:16pm On Jul 17, 2018
grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jerry Okorodudu: I Am Dying Of Hunger - Ex-Boxer by otunbabadok(m): 8:17pm On Jul 17, 2018
Let's see, we need good news.
Re: Jerry Okorodudu: I Am Dying Of Hunger - Ex-Boxer by Damilola97(m): 8:17pm On Jul 17, 2018
These pple are cruel

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jerry Okorodudu: I Am Dying Of Hunger - Ex-Boxer by 12345baba(m): 8:17pm On Jul 17, 2018
This my country sef

6 Likes

Re: Jerry Okorodudu: I Am Dying Of Hunger - Ex-Boxer by minasota(f): 8:17pm On Jul 17, 2018
when will this useless country stop forgetting her heroes past?
Now i see the reason Anthony Joshua prefered England to Nigeria

59 Likes

Re: Jerry Okorodudu: I Am Dying Of Hunger - Ex-Boxer by Chisomoney(m): 8:17pm On Jul 17, 2018
JOIN SUPER EAGLES

1 Like

Re: Jerry Okorodudu: I Am Dying Of Hunger - Ex-Boxer by LazyNairalander(m): 8:18pm On Jul 17, 2018
The Labour of our heroes past.........

check my SIGNATURE

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jerry Okorodudu: I Am Dying Of Hunger - Ex-Boxer by Aarenasbaba(m): 8:18pm On Jul 17, 2018
God is your strength

3 Likes

Re: Jerry Okorodudu: I Am Dying Of Hunger - Ex-Boxer by NWANICHODE: 8:18pm On Jul 17, 2018
The hunger never fire you well. Your brain go soon reset

2 Likes

Re: Jerry Okorodudu: I Am Dying Of Hunger - Ex-Boxer by agwocomedian: 8:18pm On Jul 17, 2018
Na we send you go box? Lmao �

Go box Buhari , then we go reason you hahhahaahhahahahaha

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jerry Okorodudu: I Am Dying Of Hunger - Ex-Boxer by Tomoyayi(m): 8:18pm On Jul 17, 2018
Workers sef dem Neva pay

2 Likes

Re: Jerry Okorodudu: I Am Dying Of Hunger - Ex-Boxer by davillian(m): 8:21pm On Jul 17, 2018
When you have the money invest it and avoid luxury lifestyle but they won't listen.
God go help you.
I have a friend who lost his jobs and he told me "that even if I don't work my investments will still pay me and i won't lack anything ".
And some one is here crying for not get paid in 10months .

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jerry Okorodudu: I Am Dying Of Hunger - Ex-Boxer by Nobody: 8:22pm On Jul 17, 2018
It's sad and evil that a man (woman) will spend his prime uplifting his Nation, only to be abandoned when he (she) needed his (her) country to be there for him or her.

We saw it play out in Peter Rufai, everyone who represented Nigeria in sports always gets abandoned.

Now we know why Dele Alli and others stayed away from Nigeria.
The truth is that Nigeria is a plague!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jerry Okorodudu: I Am Dying Of Hunger - Ex-Boxer by EmmyDJourno: 8:22pm On Jul 17, 2018
A lesson to anyone who hits cash in his prime, invest well, cause the government don't give a shot about nobody

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jerry Okorodudu: I Am Dying Of Hunger - Ex-Boxer by IamPopular(m): 8:22pm On Jul 17, 2018
Naija my country! I hail thee... Servinq this country is another problem,now i see reason why niqerians ply there trade outside the country...
Re: Jerry Okorodudu: I Am Dying Of Hunger - Ex-Boxer by thaoriginator: 8:24pm On Jul 17, 2018
sorry dude
Re: Jerry Okorodudu: I Am Dying Of Hunger - Ex-Boxer by momodub: 8:24pm On Jul 17, 2018
Na wah

1 Like

Re: Jerry Okorodudu: I Am Dying Of Hunger - Ex-Boxer by Babyforever(f): 8:24pm On Jul 17, 2018
Bintabisiriyu:
Nigeria send you?? E better mek u find one laptop even if na fairly used join awon internet gangster
You and the people that liked this comment are one of the problems we're facing in this country

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jerry Okorodudu: I Am Dying Of Hunger - Ex-Boxer by redangel2017: 8:24pm On Jul 17, 2018
LazyNairalander:
The Labour of our heroes past.........

check my SIGNATURE
shall be In vain grin

1 Like

Re: Jerry Okorodudu: I Am Dying Of Hunger - Ex-Boxer by MrBigiman: 8:25pm On Jul 17, 2018
inoki247:
shebi ur Two hand is still working u beta go nd Hustle if not nobody will here ur cry.. Nigeria Generally is hungry. . or Make dem give u job for Sars make u dey manage dat one...

The guy deserves his pension.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jerry Okorodudu: I Am Dying Of Hunger - Ex-Boxer by Atikusadvocate: 8:25pm On Jul 17, 2018
This is the problem with Nigerians. They seem have an entitlement mentality. How did you boxing become sacrificing for Nigeria? Ok we don’t want your sacrifice again. Even Mike Tyson is broke and no one is blaming USA for it. You fought in the Olympics and other competitions and was paid for it. It is your duty to invest the proceeds and make money for yourself. If they owe you for 10 months, it is wrong but not because of any service you did nigeria but because you worked and wasn’t paid as promised.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jerry Okorodudu: I Am Dying Of Hunger - Ex-Boxer by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:26pm On Jul 17, 2018
The labour of our heroes past shall never be in vain.....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jerry Okorodudu: I Am Dying Of Hunger - Ex-Boxer by izzy4shizzy(m): 8:26pm On Jul 17, 2018
Welcome to buhari's government
Re: Jerry Okorodudu: I Am Dying Of Hunger - Ex-Boxer by Nobody: 8:27pm On Jul 17, 2018
weIMPORT:
Legendary Nigerian boxer, Jerry Okorodudu says he is dying of hunger over the non-payment of his 10 months’ salary by the Federal Ministry of Youth and Sports.

The former boxer, who also won two gold medals at the African Championship in 1982, lamented the treatment from the sports ministry in spite of his contributions and sacrifices for the country...

“My pensionable job in the ministry was changed to a contract; the Nigeria Boxing Federation has also sidelined me by removing me from every competition. I represented this country well as an athlete and a coach, but it is a pity that this is happening to me and other former sportsmen and women in the country,’’ he said.

Thankfully he is still fit and not reaching us from a hospital bed, begging for donations for an expensive surgery

With his wealth of experience, he could comment on boxing matches on a sports channel

Now this does NOT justify depriving him of remuneration for services rendered. Pay the man his dues.

But in the mean time, he can still avoid going hungry...

6 Likes

Re: Jerry Okorodudu: I Am Dying Of Hunger - Ex-Boxer by Greizman: 8:29pm On Jul 17, 2018
agwocomedian:
Na we send you go box? Lmao �

Go box Buhari , then we go reason you hahhahaahhahahahaha
Dry...

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jerry Okorodudu: I Am Dying Of Hunger - Ex-Boxer by izzy4shizzy(m): 8:29pm On Jul 17, 2018
Moral of the story

Don't depend on government, u always certainly get disappointed

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Yekini Rashidi's Daughters Visit NFF's Office In Lagos. See Photos / Tyson Fury Knocks Out Dillian Whyte With Brutal Uppercut, Retains WBC title / Obinna Nsofor & His Girlfriend All Loved Up (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.