Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,973 members, 7,814,303 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:46 AM

Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? - Art, Graphics & Video (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? (20021 Views)

Projector, Screen And Plasma/lcd For Rent / Projector, Screen And Plasma/lcd For Rent / Projector And Screen, Lcd/plasma Tv For Rent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by Pittbaby(f): 7:10pm On Jun 14, 2010
A friend shipped TVs from US to naija and they work fine . He actually got some LG brand that can work with both the US and Nigerian voltage .
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by triistar86: 7:34pm On Jun 14, 2010
Pittbaby:

A friend shipped TVs from US to naija and they work fine . He actually got some LG brand that can work with both the US and Nigerian voltage .

Trust me when I say the tv your friend shipped is multisystem. Those type of tv would work every where they aint specifically US spec tv. . . . wink
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by gidson12(m): 8:24pm On Jun 14, 2010
it would work, but use along with ups
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by Africanson: 11:35pm On Jun 14, 2010
@poster
I did not meet this thread on time!!. Have you bought the TV already?.

Incase you have not bought the TV yet then just forget it. Instead of buying the TV just give away that money to somebody as a gift because the TV will NEVER work in Nigeria 100% sure.

A friend bought similar TV I think 4 of them in the U.S for $1,000 each and when he arrived Nigeria he was hoping to sell them for good money. You know what?. None of the TV worked!!. It was taken to Ojo Alaba market with the hope of selling it if at least to recorver some money. You know how much they priced the TV at alaba market?. N3,000 naira each!. I' am not saying N30,000 naira I mean (three thousand naira). He abandoned the TV in Nigeria till today.

Then I realized America uses a different type of TV. I don't know the technical terms maybe NTSC as you have been told here already by some.
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by machere44: 2:36am On Jun 15, 2010
buying a TV in naija may or may not work, u need to check all the things those TV repairers on Nairaland have recommended o. I also wanted to buy some for sale last year cuz I saw dem for really really cheap but when I started hearing of PAL, NTSC etc I just abandon dat plan. I was in naija laswt week and tryin to relocate so I am trying tto ship everything down form yankee. I just came in from the best buy and brandsmart electronics store 10mins ago and I was enquiring if the Air/Cons and gens would work in naija but trust american store associates, dem no know nada, so all u hear is "not too sure about that maam", even manager no sabi doremi. I will jst buy dem from Argos or PC World in london where I am sure we use the same frequency and everythin d same d same/
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by adconline(m): 6:48am On Jun 15, 2010
why dont you buy a multi sytem TV cos it works everywhere even in Afghanistan. Multi system works, not the ones you could from American retailers. buyer beware!!
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by mufasa(m): 7:29am On Jun 15, 2010
machere44:

buying a TV in naija may or may not work, u need to check all the things those TV repairers on Nairaland have recommended o. I also wanted to buy some for sale last year cuz I saw dem for really really cheap but when I started hearing of PAL, NTSC etc I just abandon dat plan. I was in naija laswt week and tryin to relocate so I am trying tto ship everything down form yankee. I just came in from the best buy and brandsmart electronics store 10mins ago and I was enquiring if the Air/Cons and gens would work in naija but trust american store associates, dem no know nada, so all u hear is "not too sure about that maam", even manager no sabi doremi. I will jst buy dem from Argos or PC World in london where I am sure we use the same frequency and everythin d same d same/

Why don't you just come down to 9ja and buy your stuff. You wont get any issues and still get the Manufacturers warranty.

You wanna buy AC and Gen meant for 9ja from Argos? That doesnt make any sense.

The naija stores have good products that were designed for the 9ja ruggedity, so save yourself the headache of importing. Support your own.
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by Ladytemi(f): 8:14am On Jun 15, 2010
Should work but you may need to also purchase a Step Down Adapter.
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by wazobiang: 3:58pm On Jun 15, 2010
i doubt if there is any hdtv transmission in naija. but the tv itself will work anywhere. u just need a step up voltage transformer for it here.
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by donpappyt(m): 6:35pm On Jun 15, 2010
wazobia-ng:

i doubt if there is any hdtv transmission in naija. but the tv itself will work anywhere. u just need a step up voltage transformer for it here.

No' any TV bought in USA will not work in nigeria unless it's a multi-system. A friend of mind currently bought one. it didnt work untill he bought a PAL to NTSC tuner to convert the signal to USA stardard.
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by machere44: 7:19pm On Jun 15, 2010
@ mufasa, I know they have good stuff but why shd I pay 3xx the price when I can save the cost. I buy my TV and all from argos or wherever and still get my .I dont think chinese manufacturers built anything for ruggedity for naija maret alone, if anything they are substandard and will rather buy the ones with standards etc, as per supporting my own, there is no my own ** the samsung store and all the likes are all importing from asia. My own will be more like the adebowales ** DEBO*electronics and I guess they have run d mans biznez down, trust naija sobatage* everybody is trying to make a ridiculous profit off of me but unfortunate I have access to where they get dem for and I can arrange myself. I can even sell some to u at a cheaper price if u want, sorry mate,
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by sojioguns(m): 9:19pm On Jun 15, 2010
@OP, why are you still contemplating? As long as the TV is able to display PAL signals, you are good. Another way is to buy cheap ol' multisystem VCRs and route the antenna through the VCR, hehehehehe!
As for the voltage, 99% of electronics are built with universal voltage (110-220V) these days.
Ship them jare! If they are okay in price, I would pick one up.
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by ollybosieb: 9:25am On Jun 16, 2010
i bought sony and vizio lcd from the usa, only the vizio is working with dstv but not the sony.
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by seal777(m): 9:56am On Jun 16, 2010
Can you all in nairaland see how the guy listed all the features of the TV as if it was produced by him?.

God save Nigeria as we remain who we are, A CONSUMER NATION.
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by PXLArt: 8:51pm On Jun 16, 2010
Nigeria will remain a consumer nation for a long time,  the social and mental infrastructure that should enable us evolve into a manufacturing and innovative country is not available in the near future with our current trajectory

check out why on
http:// pxlart .co .cc

We are farr from normal
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by Ranoscky(m): 7:43am On Jun 17, 2010
bored topic. walks out singing T.I - hell of a life.
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by mufasa(m): 8:11am On Jun 17, 2010
machere44:

@ mufasa, I know they have good stuff but why shd I pay 3xx the price when I can save the cost. I buy my TV and all from argos or wherever and still get my .I dont think chinese manufacturers built anything for ruggedity for naija maret alone, if anything they are substandard and will rather buy the ones with standards etc, as per supporting my own, there is no my own ** the samsung store and all the likes are all importing from asia. My own will be more like the adebowales ** DEBO*electronics and I guess they have run d mans biznez down, trust naija sobatage* everybody is trying to make a ridiculous profit off of me but unfortunate I have access to where they get dem for and I can arrange myself. I can even sell some to u at a cheaper price if u want, sorry mate,

Aii boss. Seems you are in the business and you know so much.

Some one was even telling me TVs etc are way more cheaper is Saudi Arabia, i guess thats why most pilgrims return with truck loads of electronics.

Abt Selling to me hmmmm. How much for 3D TV, i wan buy for my mama for 9ja. (with Delivery) and she stays in Abeokuta.
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by guccimilan(m): 12:32pm On Oct 19, 2011
Hi guys,i brought a 42" led tv from europe for naija use .with the digital search i got most dstv channel but its not showing .Any idea of how it can work with the side slot provision for smart card.Thanks for ur responds.
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by sojioguns(m): 11:41am On Oct 20, 2011
As long as you connect via av (composite, component or hdmi) any device will work with your tv. The only problem I forsee is inability to view channels via ttuner as most modern tvs have only digtal tuners. A quick solution is to either get an external tuner or use an old vhs player as tuner and connect it to your tv via av.
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by ncpat(m): 9:12am On Oct 27, 2011
i know this an old topic but let me contribute, most of the poster here are just blowing grammer, for sure the tv will surely work with cable/dstv and for the local tv station, check the manual if the tv has VHF ( very high frequency) and UHF (ultra high frequency) back in the 80`s and 90`s most television channel transmit there signal through VHF like NTA 2 channel 5 lagos, NTA channel 10 lagos don`t know if they have upgraded it was AIT AND DBN than that started with UHF so any TV station transmitting through VHF and UHF are all analogue signals while cable satellite like dstv transmit digital signals and i remember like back in 2009, the U.S.A force all TV station to start transmitting in digital signal which means so may be the manufacturers in US deems it no need to include the VHF and UHF for her US. even here in nigeria 2012 is deadline for analogue TV stations. once the TV possesses the VHF and UHF it will automatically detect the TV signals.
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by Mu(m): 11:20am On Nov 24, 2011
I understand that there is some picture quality loss when using a PAL to NTSC converter.
Does anybody know how bad the quality loss is?
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by gabon(m): 6:12pm On Mar 16, 2013
I have a good NTSC to pal converter with no or less picture quality loss because its a High Definition Converter.

contact me for details

gaboninfotech@yahoo.com or call 07035588336, 08071753363.
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by VillageBoi(m): 7:06pm On Mar 16, 2013
ncpat: i know this an old topic but let me contribute, most of the poster here are just blowing grammer, for sure the tv will surely work with cable/dstv and for the local tv station, check the manual if the tv has VHF ( very high frequency) and UHF (ultra high frequency) back in the 80`s and 90`s most television channel transmit there signal through VHF like NTA 2 channel 5 lagos, NTA channel 10 lagos don`t know if they have upgraded it was AIT AND DBN than that started with UHF so any TV station transmitting through VHF and UHF are all analogue signals while cable satellite like dstv transmit digital signals and i remember like back in 2009, the U.S.A force all TV station to start transmitting in digital signal which means so may be the manufacturers in US deems it no need to include the VHF and UHF for her US. even here in nigeria 2012 is deadline for analogue TV stations. once the TV possesses the VHF and UHF it will automatically detect the TV signals.

Na you dey blow grammer and those posters were talking sense. They know that na different electricity we dey use in Naija - 50Hz while Yankee uses 60Hz. If the TV is not a multi-system with 110-240v it will NOT work.
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by gabon(m): 12:19am On Mar 17, 2013
I have a good NTSC to pal converter with no or less picture quality loss because its a High Definition Converter and it can work with any TV from europe

contact me for details

gaboninfotech@yahoo.com or call 07035588336, 08071753363.
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by prof800(m): 6:19pm On Mar 18, 2013
VillageBoi:

Na you dey blow grammer and those posters were talking sense. They know that na different electricity we dey use in Naija - 50Hz while Yankee uses 60Hz. If the TV is not a multi-system with 110-240v it will NOT work.

/seconded/ na d guy dey blow grammar sef. But seriously, Anele d guy posted dat about a year and half ago and u still did not forgive him? *chuckles*

ncpat: it was AIT AND DBN than that started with UHF so any TV station transmitting through VHF and UHF are all analogue.
@ncpat if u're trying to air ur knowledge in this way u have to be sure of what u are saying. CLAPPERBOARD TV was on UHF and that was before AIT or even Raypower. But Clapperboard television wasn't even d first on UHF there was this station we used to enjoy as far back as '91, '92, '93 before they ran to paytv it was called CABLE TV and it was on UHF also.
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by kkkossy(m): 6:22am On Sep 30, 2015
Hi ppl, I have a new 46 inch toshiba tv but each time I connect my av wire to watch dstv or gotv it's always in black and white. Also when I connect my hdmi cable from my dvd to my t v it will only play sounds but no pictures. I have tried all I could. Some told me the tv was produced in the US the time zone does not show africa. Pls how can I resolve it. Thanks
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by gabon(m): 8:50pm On Oct 05, 2015
I have converters that will solve your issue.... call me on 07035588336 or 08139909900. gaboninfotech@yahoo.com

(1) (2) (Reply)

3D Amazing Art-works / Artwork Displayed By Nigerian At The Venice Biennale / Professor Bruce Onobrakpeya's 89th Birthday Is Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.