Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,742 members, 7,809,837 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:44 PM

Osu, Ume: All You Need To Know. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Osu, Ume: All You Need To Know. (3954 Views)

Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want / 2 Lovers From Okija, Anambra Commit Suicide Over 'Osu' (Disturbing Pictures) / I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Osu, Ume: All You Need To Know. by bluskyee: 9:16pm On Jul 18, 2018
I saw a thread about abolishing "Osu" in certain parts of Igbo land and I will say it is a good development. There should not be segregation among people. What is an ume and who are these osus? and how do they come to live amongst us? "A nairalander said they were idol worshippers and did not embrace Christianity on time" that is false.

In the beginning there was no Osu. The Igbo communities existed and they were predominantly pagans. Many pagan societies offered sacrifices when hardship befell them (Aztecs ET Al) for the Igbos, it was "Death". When a family experienced death on a large scale, they resolved to making human sacrifices. The sacrifice, will require them to go to very far places oftentimes slave markets. (At these point know that the people bought for the sacrifice do not speak Igbo).There was zero communication between the slave and the master the slave were usually brought from Benin and Lagos.

The slaves are usually bonded and taken to the shrine. Their heads are shaved and a blood covenant is established between the slave and the shrine. Few days after the sacrifice, the slave is taken back from the shrine to the home of the master. The master will give the slave a piece of farmland and a hut to effect his building. (The building is usually located at the front of the slave masters house). The sacrificed slave is immediately forced to marry another sacrificed slave so that they can start rapid reproduction. They and their children are what the Igbos tagged Osu.

This is done with the belief that when next the spirit of death comes, it will pick the Osu's and their children and leave out the slave master and his family. This practice continued until slave trade was abolished. And the Igbos were faced with the ultimate question "What do we do with these people"? Then came religion and Christianity. A wise Igbo man once said "Originally we don't know where they came from but the are now part of us"

For the "Ume", these were formally normal people that willfully or mistakenly practiced inbreeding. For instance a father sleeping with daughter or a brother sleeping with a sister. If this barbaric act produces an offspring, that family is tagged Ume. The Igbo culture and even Christianity frowns against these.

In all, these are the two sets of outcasts you will find in Igboland. But sincerely I can't have my children marry an Osu or an Ume... Neither will I. But I will support the abolishment of such stigmatization. But will not enter into marriage with such.

I trust you learned something....

5 Likes

Re: Osu, Ume: All You Need To Know. by Hideki(m): 9:38pm On Jul 18, 2018
So the Osus were not originally Igbos..... No wonder
Re: Osu, Ume: All You Need To Know. by SSpeter(m): 9:42pm On Jul 18, 2018
We are all free...
Re: Osu, Ume: All You Need To Know. by Nobody: 9:45pm On Jul 18, 2018
So in another word u can't practice what you preach?

1 Like

Re: Osu, Ume: All You Need To Know. by Geesaintagape: 1:42pm On Jul 19, 2018
What advantage has non OSU over OSU in Nigeria.
Re: Osu, Ume: All You Need To Know. by RedboneSmith(m): 7:28pm On Jul 19, 2018
Isn't Ume also a title in Nnewi and environs? Even in Onitsha, a grade of Ndichie titles is called Ndichie Ume.

Also, that bit about buying slaves from Lagos and Benin... grin

1 Like

Re: Osu, Ume: All You Need To Know. by ewa26: 8:09pm On Jul 19, 2018
RedboneSmith:
Isn't Ume also a title in Nnewi and environs? Even in Onitsha, a grade of Ndichie titles is called Ndichie Ume.

Also, that bit about buying slaves from Lagos and Benin... grin
is there a way the Yoruba and Ibo tribe’s of Nigeria cook the jollof rice, and do old ibo women cook party jollof rice and lastly which tribe in Nigeria is Jellof rice most associated with

(1) (Reply)

Benin Influence On Yorubas / Nigerians Speak The Best Pidgin In The Whole Of Africa / Orúkọ Àwọn Ọmọba Méjìlá Tí Ń Du Àpèrí Ọọ̀ni Ilé-ifẹ̀ Lẹ́hìn Ìpapòdà Ọba Síjúadé

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.