Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,795 members, 7,827,939 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:40 PM

How To Switch To A New Smartphone Without Losing Your Whatsapp Chats - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / How To Switch To A New Smartphone Without Losing Your Whatsapp Chats (26729 Views)

Must-have Accessories For Your New Smartphone / 5 Things To Consider When Buying A New Smartphone. / 5 Key Considerations For Purchasing A New Smartphone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Switch To A New Smartphone Without Losing Your Whatsapp Chats by NaijaTechGuy(m): 8:05am On Jul 20, 2018
olasaad:

Op. What of Lumia to Android

Both devices work quite differently, lumia backs up to one drive while Android backs up to Google drive and the encryption method used for both phones are slightly different so the Android phone may not recognize the local database file stored in the lumia's SD card
Re: How To Switch To A New Smartphone Without Losing Your Whatsapp Chats by NaijaTechGuy(m): 8:08am On Jul 20, 2018
twinskenny:

nice what if you want to switch from android to an iphone?

Back up to Google Drive on the Android phone and restore on your iPhone
Re: How To Switch To A New Smartphone Without Losing Your Whatsapp Chats by tuoyoojo(m): 8:20am On Jul 20, 2018
I would find this useful later.... thanks for sharing
Re: How To Switch To A New Smartphone Without Losing Your Whatsapp Chats by Ojflex: 8:31am On Jul 20, 2018
Lomprico2:

Which one be gbwhatsapp?
Its a unique whatsapp, just search it on google
Re: How To Switch To A New Smartphone Without Losing Your Whatsapp Chats by saymax(f): 9:17am On Jul 20, 2018
NaijaTechGuy:
Switching to a new phone gives you that happy and enthusiastic feeling until you remember your WhatsApp chats.

Normally there are actually two ways to reinstall WhatsApp without losing your chats -

Using a local backup
Using Google Drive

Most tech savvy people would actually use the Google drive feature because it's easier but it doesn't guarantee you will get your last chats because WhatsApp automatically backs up chats by 2.am and if your data connection isn't turned on at that time, your chat backup would not be uploaded to Google Drive only the local backup would be kept and if you don't know how to restore it properly you will lose your chats

So without further ado lets get started on how to restore your chats on a new phone using a local backup.

1. Install Xender On Both Phones Then Open Xender on both as well and connect the phones.

2.Go To File Manager > WhatsApp > Databases

3. Mark And Send The Databases Folder To The New Phone then close Xender

4.Install WhatsApp on the new phone but don't launch it yet (If you have already launched it long press the WhatsApp icon till an info logo (i) comes up then click on it or drag the icon towards it, this will vary depending on the launcher you are using. Once you do that click on the clear data option)

At this point you are done with the old device. Let's set it up on your new device

5. On the new device Go To Your File Manager > WhatsApp > Databases then delete the Databases Folder

6. Go To File Manager > Xender > Folder

7. Copy The Databases folder and go to the WhatsApp folder and paste it there

8. Launch WhatsApp and continue the installation process

9. WhatsApp will detect the backups them restore your chats for you

Note: If you have a memory card try the whole process within your memory card first. If it doesn't work for you then try with your phones inbuilt storage.

https://www.naijatechguy.com/2018/07/how-to-switch-to-new-smartphone-without.html

Thanks
Re: How To Switch To A New Smartphone Without Losing Your Whatsapp Chats by Offpoint: 9:26am On Jul 20, 2018
Ubty:
Have and issue. My what'sapp database files is always to the tune of 135-240 Mb (only one of those files, and they accumulate). So I always need to delete them to have space on my phone. But what I see on other folks phones are just 2Mb or so. How can I resolve this?
yes, set your whatsapp to only save chat and images only... I guess yours saved images and videos hence the large size.
Re: How To Switch To A New Smartphone Without Losing Your Whatsapp Chats by Twrecks(m): 10:04am On Jul 20, 2018
tayebest:
Op if you can explain with pictures, it will be better.

But, I'm flexing with my GBwhatsapp wink

Abeg you get GBInstagram?
Re: How To Switch To A New Smartphone Without Losing Your Whatsapp Chats by SEONaijaExpert: 10:19am On Jul 20, 2018
That's valuable info

Design a blog/website and full search engine optimization 0815 134 9272
Re: How To Switch To A New Smartphone Without Losing Your Whatsapp Chats by galadee(m): 10:45am On Jul 20, 2018
Ok
Re: How To Switch To A New Smartphone Without Losing Your Whatsapp Chats by supereagle(m): 10:50am On Jul 20, 2018
Obierika:
This sounds like a complicated process

You read my mind. Too complicated.
Re: How To Switch To A New Smartphone Without Losing Your Whatsapp Chats by tayebest(m): 10:59am On Jul 20, 2018
Twrecks:

yeah!
Re: How To Switch To A New Smartphone Without Losing Your Whatsapp Chats by tayebest(m): 11:05am On Jul 20, 2018
EdwinSixtus:

Am using it too
what are the benefits of using
Gbwhatsapp

The obvious ones are,
You can download picture from your friend's stat
You can extend your version length to about 7mins
You can customise your WhatsApp by using different themes, where each themes comes with its personal feature.
You can use two WhatsApp on it.

...This are just the obvious one. It has many superb features sha. infact any update on the normal WhatsApp would have been feature on GBwhatsapp before it release.
Re: How To Switch To A New Smartphone Without Losing Your Whatsapp Chats by abbatoir(m): 11:26am On Jul 20, 2018
Nice one..
Re: How To Switch To A New Smartphone Without Losing Your Whatsapp Chats by TechyPals(m): 11:53am On Jul 20, 2018
NaijaTechGuy:
Switching to a new phone gives you that happy and enthusiastic feeling until you remember your WhatsApp chats.

Normally there are actually two ways to reinstall WhatsApp without losing your chats -

Using a local backup
Using Google Drive

Most tech savvy people would actually use the Google drive feature because it's easier but it doesn't guarantee you will get your last chats because WhatsApp automatically backs up chats by 2.am and if your data connection isn't turned on at that time, your chat backup would not be uploaded to Google Drive only the local backup would be kept and if you don't know how to restore it properly you will lose your chats

So without further ado lets get started on how to restore your chats on a new phone using a local backup.

1. Install Xender On Both Phones Then Open Xender on both as well and connect the phones.

4.Install WhatsApp on the new phone but don't launch it yet (If you have already launched it long press the WhatsApp icon till an info logo (i) comes up then click on it or drag the icon towards it, this will vary depending on the launcher you are using. Once you do that click on the clear data option)

At this point you are done with the old device. Let's set it up on your new device

5. On the new device Go To Your File Manager > WhatsApp > Databases then delete the Databases Folder

Note: If you have a memory card try the whole process within your memory card first. If it doesn't work for you then try with your phones inbuilt storage.

https://www.naijatechguy.com/2018/07/how-to-switch-to-new-smartphone-without.html
Easy but looks difficult to some smiley
Re: How To Switch To A New Smartphone Without Losing Your Whatsapp Chats by ismohibroh: 12:30pm On Jul 20, 2018
Thank you much, you just helped me
Re: How To Switch To A New Smartphone Without Losing Your Whatsapp Chats by NaijaTechGuy(m): 12:47pm On Jul 20, 2018
saymax:

Thanks

You're welcome
Re: How To Switch To A New Smartphone Without Losing Your Whatsapp Chats by ozoigbondu1(m): 4:07pm On Jul 20, 2018
NaijaTechGuy:

Using a local backup
Using Google Drive

Nice one op
Re: How To Switch To A New Smartphone Without Losing Your Whatsapp Chats by PropertyDeals(f): 4:49pm On Jul 20, 2018
phemmyfour:
No4 is confusing

50% Off! A rare Opportunity to
Own Christal Villa Queens Court
with C of O Shapati Lekki at N5m
+ Free Deed of Assignment.

For details/Inspection:

NIKE 07064401427
IYKE 08023963432
SAHEED 09066815852
ABIOLA 07036435999

Becoming a Landlord has been made easy!
Re: How To Switch To A New Smartphone Without Losing Your Whatsapp Chats by phemmyfour: 4:51pm On Jul 20, 2018
PropertyDeals:

50% Off! A rare Opportunity to
Own Christal Villa Queens Court
with C of O Shapati Lekki at N5m
+ Free Deed of Assignment.

For details/Inspection:

NIKE 07064401427
IYKE 08023963432
SAHEED 09066815852
ABIOLA 07036435999

Becoming a Landlord has been made easy!
why me
Re: How To Switch To A New Smartphone Without Losing Your Whatsapp Chats by nairamaniac: 9:44pm On Jul 20, 2018
tayebest:
Op if you can explain with pictures, it will be better.

But, I'm flexing with my GBwhatsapp wink

This GBwhatsapp doesnt update.
It gives notification to update, but it when u try to follow the procedure, everything is written in Arabic language.
Re: How To Switch To A New Smartphone Without Losing Your Whatsapp Chats by Ejadike(m): 1:22pm On Jul 21, 2018
I've always known this. When I got my k7 then I did all this.
Re: How To Switch To A New Smartphone Without Losing Your Whatsapp Chats by Ejadike(m): 1:23pm On Jul 21, 2018
NaijaTechGuy:

Using a local backup
Using Google Drive

nice one OP
Re: How To Switch To A New Smartphone Without Losing Your Whatsapp Chats by Ejadike(m): 1:24pm On Jul 21, 2018
tayebest:

The obvious ones are,
You can download picture from your friend's stat
You can extend your version length to about 7mins
You can customise your WhatsApp by using different themes, where each themes comes with its personal feature.
You can use two WhatsApp on it.

...This are just the obvious one. It has many superb features sha. infact any update on the normal WhatsApp would have been feature on GBwhatsapp before it release.
nice
Re: How To Switch To A New Smartphone Without Losing Your Whatsapp Chats by Ejadike(m): 1:29pm On Jul 21, 2018
Twrecks:

Maybe you fit develop the app na
Re: How To Switch To A New Smartphone Without Losing Your Whatsapp Chats by twinskenny(m): 3:10pm On Jul 21, 2018
NaijaTechGuy:

Back up to Google Drive on the Android phone and restore on your iPhone

Didn’t work sir
Re: How To Switch To A New Smartphone Without Losing Your Whatsapp Chats by NaijaTechGuy(m): 9:01am On Jul 22, 2018
twinskenny:

Didn’t work sir

Strange.. It usually works. Unless there's something you missed out
Re: How To Switch To A New Smartphone Without Losing Your Whatsapp Chats by Nobody: 3:57pm On Jul 22, 2018
cc:NaijaTechGuy how can I delete some irrelevant pictures on back up WhatsApp via google drive?
Re: How To Switch To A New Smartphone Without Losing Your Whatsapp Chats by NaijaTechGuy(m): 5:13pm On Jul 22, 2018
asuustrike2009:
cc:NaijaTechGuy how can I delete some irrelevant pictures on back up WhatsApp via google drive?

I don't think that's possible. However if you restore your chats and you don't want pictures from a particular chat to be showing on your gallery, go to the person's profile and select Media Visibility and turn it off.

This feature is available in the latest version of whatsapp
Re: How To Switch To A New Smartphone Without Losing Your Whatsapp Chats by newangelabrown(f): 2:19pm On May 29, 2019
NaijaTechGuy:

Using a local backup
Using Google Drive

Great steps..if i like to transfer my sim from an android to a windows phone, will the process remain same
Also check out my latest posts from my personal blog here https://www.newmomstuff.com/best-baby-bottle-sterilizer
Re: How To Switch To A New Smartphone Without Losing Your Whatsapp Chats by bluefilm: 8:42pm On Apr 29, 2020
NaijaTechGuy:

I'm very much aware.. I clearly stated switching to a new phone not switching to a new phone number

Good day sir.

By implication, does it mean that anyone with a new phone who has access to my whatsapp database will be able to access my Whatsapp chats on his or her new device?

(1) (2) (Reply)

11 Features To Look Out For When Buying Android Phones / Glo Gives Out N35m Benz G-Wagon To Promo Winner (Photos) / Differentiating Original Blackberry Phone From China Ones!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.