Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,222 members, 7,818,763 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:05 AM

LAUTECH Increases School Fees To N300,000 From N120k - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / LAUTECH Increases School Fees To N300,000 From N120k (32353 Views)

UNN Increases School Fees By 100%, As #JusticeForUNNstudents Trends / Covenant University Increases School Fees For International Students / Lautech Increases School Fees From N75,000 To N250,000. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: LAUTECH Increases School Fees To N300,000 From N120k by obi58: 10:19pm On Jul 21, 2018
SoNature:

Oga, stop ranting

Higher education is not cheap anywhere in the world

Nigeria must fix her vocational and technical schools

Higher education isn't made for everyone

Let's stop this madness

Go to serious countries in the world, their people hardly go beyond high school, including USA

[b]Yeah right..... You're comparing yourself to schools in first world economics where indigenes pay less fees than international students and there are still a plethora of grants and student loans to choose from in spite of their minimum wage. You won't compare yourself to what fees are charged for quality tertiary education in nearby African countries like Ghana and Kenya.

Instead of shifting the burden of funding to the overburdened parents given the economic situation government should be held accountable for improving the standard and quality of education at all levels.

What exactly can we define to be quality education?

How much are lecturers paid as salaries today? How many of them are sponsored to receive the best training abroad to impart to our schools?

How many states, local governments, villages, churches and mosques are involved in provision of scholarships and financial aid services to the most deserving students and to aid wards within their vicinities with financial difficulties?

What is the quality of education and skill acquisition provided in our technical schools? Come to think of it... How well equipped and staffed are our technical schools?

How much of the national budget relative to what is obtainable worldwide is allocated to Education and how much of that budget is actually utilised for the intended purpose?

How effective is the oversight function of the Legislature in ensuring effective use of allocated funds to the sector?

How many of these universities can even account for the alleged insufficient subventions they receive from government? How many of these institutions can provide verifiable proof of how school fees are utilised in the administration of the school?

How many universities do you know that despite having professors in the faculties of Bus. As and Accounting are able to provide audited statements of account on yearly basis on all their inflows and outflows?

What percentage of corporate tax is allocated to Education and how many corporate organizations sponsor and are encouraged by government to sponsor educational development as part of their CSR? Why can't we have an education tax instead of value added tax?

Are these things not doable? Why must the students bear the brunt of the inaction and inefficiency of these stakeholders in the discharge of their duties towards ensuring qualitative education is made a reality in our educational institutions?

Our educational imbroglio is multifaceted and hydraheaded and it would be too plebian to just place the entire burden on the student. That will not improve the quality of the output as much as limit the quality of the input of the best brains into our educational institutions.
Government and not students has a key role to play in developing quality education in this country.[/b]

3 Likes

Re: LAUTECH Increases School Fees To N300,000 From N120k by CodeTemplar: 10:20pm On Jul 21, 2018
teeshawt:

Hey bro, you don't need to flex Ur strength... All because you can afford it..... I'm not here to abuse you or attack you in any way... All I want you to reminisce on is that: what if you're in a position that you or your parent can't afford the bills, would you have comment like Dat.... I am happy when people can do things easily wt money you just don't need to oppress those who can't..... Bless up.....
which sch are we attending or graduated from sir?
Re: LAUTECH Increases School Fees To N300,000 From N120k by blackgold2018(m): 10:25pm On Jul 21, 2018
theoldpretender:

The amount of money we spend on education in Nigeria is less than N800million. Meanwhile the ASUU/FG agreement stated that we needed at least N1.5 trillion in one year (as at 2009) for the university sector.

And yes, corruption is a serious problem...but removing it would only make things slightly better, and won't adress many of the issues.

I mentioned ABU's VC complaining about his overhead costs. ABU is one of the top 5 federal universites. It is located over a large land mass. And the overhead costs are N50million a month. Govt gives N10million , where is the guy going to get the remaing N40million....

And if some of our federal unviersites are well funded...why is ASUU always going on strike (and it isn;t for their salaries only).

Plus, LASPOTECH is a state owned university.
Nice explanation n u'v probably proved me wrong. Re u a lecturer or a student? As for me bro I served last year, so over to the students.
Re: LAUTECH Increases School Fees To N300,000 From N120k by CodeTemplar: 10:31pm On Jul 21, 2018
obi58:

Yeah right..... You're comparing yourself to schools in first world economics where indigenes pay less fees than international students and there are still a plethora of grants and student loans to choose from in spite of their minimum wage. You won't compare yourself to what fees are charged for quality tertiary education in nearby African countries like Ghana and Kenya.

Instead of shifting the burden of funding to the overburdened parents given the economic situation government should be held accountable for improving the standard and quality of education at all levels.

How much of the national budget relative to what is obtainable worldwide is allocated to Education and how much of that budget is actually utilised for the intended purpose?

How effective is the oversight function of the Legislature in ensuring effective use of allocated funds to the sector?

How many of these universities can even account for the alleged insufficient subventions they receive from government? How many of these institutions can provide verifiable proof of how school fees are utilised in the administration of the the school?

How many universities do you know that despite having professors in the faculties of Bus. As and Accounting are able to provide audited statements of account on yearly basis?

What percentage of corporate tax is allocated to Education and how many corporate organizations sponsor educational facilities as part of their CSR?

Are these things not doable? Why must the students bear the brunt of the inaction and inefficiency of these stakeholders in the discharge of their duties to what ensuring qualitative education is made a reality in our educational institutions?
Are you aware govt spends over N300, 000 to subsidize most students yearly? UI and UniLag are good examples. These student we love to tag as brilliant some aren't as brilliant as we paint them
Some paid 200k bribe in order to avoid going to expensive private unis and to enjoy govt subsidy. At the end of the day they grad and decide they don't want to work. The systems loses because we end up subsidizing unmotivated minds.
In other nations the strategy is to help people get loans or provide scholarship to entice the most brilliant minds. Haven't u heard of foreign lecturers who give scholarship to their students? You need exposure sir. Nigeria can't keep subsidizing peoples ego and certificate acquisition drive.
Re: LAUTECH Increases School Fees To N300,000 From N120k by theoldpretender(m): 10:32pm On Jul 21, 2018
blackgold2018:
Nice explanation n u'v probably proved me wrong. Re u a lecturer or a student? As for me bro I served last year, so over to the students.

Neither, but I have friends and relatives in the lecturing business.

Mind you, I think we should be paying low fees...but the thing is, the number of university students is increasing compared to the ability of the government to fund them.(and yes, there is corruption)

As an example,me dad, a retired lecturer. When he went to school in the good old days, there were less than 20 students in his class in university.Of course, back then there were less than 6 universites in Nigeria. And not all my dad's siblings went to university (One even went to polytechinc, graduated, and became a very sucessful accountant. Went to university just to get an MBA)

Of course, govt could fund all of them nicely.

Now that same class probably has 70 students...and the facilites have not improved.
Re: LAUTECH Increases School Fees To N300,000 From N120k by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 10:34pm On Jul 21, 2018
divinelove:
Quality education is not cheap.

300k is fair enough provided students enjoy improved facilities

Everyone must not go to school, those who can't afford it should learn handwork.

modified
300k can't even pay the school fees in a standard primary school in Nigeria for a year and some people are quoting me to to talk nonsense

Actually, they are quoting you because you're not making sense. With minimum wage at 18k, how do you justify tuition of 250k ?
People like you ensure that the Nigerian leadership will continue to take us for a ride.

1 Like

Re: LAUTECH Increases School Fees To N300,000 From N120k by greenmonk: 10:36pm On Jul 21, 2018
CodeTemplar:

In other nations there is are scholarship schemes to help the brilliant minds get educated and the is are loans to help willing aspirants get educated unlike Nigeria where people enjoy subsidized education to the tune of millions and still don't want to work after graduation.

In Nigeria some govt schools expend as high as N500,000 per student per year in some science departments and these guys are absolute free to go into yahoo and prostitution after graduation. Isnt that a daft move?

Most go into Yahoo and prostitution because there is no enabling environment for them to earn legit wages.
Imagine a country where alcohol tax is imposed in some states and the proceeds are given to other states who forbid alcohol.
Imagine a country where interests on bank loans are as high as 60 precents per annum and the national grid can't give a 6 hour supply.
Do I still continue on why they go into Yahoo and prostitution?
What of the governor's, reps, sinators and Lga chairmen? Are they not worse than prostitutes and Yahoo boys?
Re: LAUTECH Increases School Fees To N300,000 From N120k by raphaeladeyele: 10:40pm On Jul 21, 2018
Hmmm, Owo ti poju for a lay to pay
Re: LAUTECH Increases School Fees To N300,000 From N120k by naijacentric(m): 10:43pm On Jul 21, 2018
divinelove:

Everyone must not go to school, those who can't afford it should learn handwork.

modified
300k can't even pay the school fees in a standard primary school in Nigeria for a year andm some people are quoting me to to talk nonsense
mumu
Re: LAUTECH Increases School Fees To N300,000 From N120k by rs172(m): 10:44pm On Jul 21, 2018
divinelove:

300k can't even pay fees for primary school pupil in a good school n you are talking nonsense

So how much does uk usa canadian australian german citizens pay for their kids in primary school
Re: LAUTECH Increases School Fees To N300,000 From N120k by Nigeriadondie: 10:45pm On Jul 21, 2018
divinelove:

modified
300k can't even pay the school fees in a standard primary school in Nigeria for a year and some people are quoting me to to talk nonsense
In Norway where I live, quality education is free and accessible to all who desires as long as you meet the requirements. Yet you justify increment in fees for shitthole education.

3 Likes

Re: LAUTECH Increases School Fees To N300,000 From N120k by rs172(m): 10:45pm On Jul 21, 2018
divinelove:

300k can't even pay fees for primary school pupil in a good school n you are talking nonsense

So how much does uk usa canadian australian german citizens pay for their kids in primary school
Re: LAUTECH Increases School Fees To N300,000 From N120k by delpee(f): 10:46pm On Jul 21, 2018
divinelove:

stop crying already, I am not the cause of your abject poverty

if you can't afford the fees go and learn handwork so u can afford it for your children

we can't have poor facilities in school just to accommodate pauper like you n your Father

Most unfair! This is not an issue to be trivalised. Anyone can be poor at any time in life's course. There are many examples of children whose parents died or suddenly fell into hard times.

By the way, those who sought admission there planned based on the old fees with a probable minimal increase over time. This is more than 100% increase at once! How many public servants can easily afford that on their 18k minimum wage pay?

God bless the leaders of old who gave out scholarships and bursaries to students irrespective of their backgrounds. I benefited from that and i didn't have to lobby or settle anyone. The bursary covered fees and some feeding allowance. That's free education in a way and it's what we need now for indigent students.

1 Like

Re: LAUTECH Increases School Fees To N300,000 From N120k by kennyjo23: 10:46pm On Jul 21, 2018
USA used Apple Macbook for sale at affordable price. Ram 2G hard drive160G webcam bluetooth dvd/cd drive. Working perfectly..very clean like brand new. SERIOUS buyers only.
We deliver within and outside lagos and it's pay on delivery.
Price...50k
call or whatsap 08995578914

Re: LAUTECH Increases School Fees To N300,000 From N120k by Nigeriadondie: 10:47pm On Jul 21, 2018
divinelove:

if you can't afford the fees go and learn handwork so u can afford it for your children

we can't have poor facilities in school just to accommodate pauper like you n your Father

Your statement is pathetic. Just because you can afford to pay for it doesn’t mean that others who can but don’t have d means should not have access to education
Re: LAUTECH Increases School Fees To N300,000 From N120k by obi58: 10:48pm On Jul 21, 2018
CodeTemplar:
Are you aware govt spends over N300, 000 to subsidize most students yearly? UI and UniLag are good examples. These student we love to tag as brilliant some aren't as brilliant as we paint them
Some paid 200k bribe in order to avoid going to expensive private unis and to enjoy govt subsidy. At the end of the day they grad and decide they don't want to work. The systems loses because we end up subsidizing unmotivated minds.
In other nations the strategy is to help people get loans or provide scholarship to entice the most brilliant minds. Haven't u heard of foreign lecturers who give scholarship to their students? You need exposure sir. Nigeria can't keep subsidizing peoples ego and certificate acquisition drive.

Whoever told you govt provides 300k subsidy is lying to you sir. Subsidize what exactly? Is it the overcrowded classrooms? Or perhaps the cost of handouts? Or the expired lab equipment? Or the ancient and torn books in the library?

We should be looking at enforcing standards in our institutions to ensure academic excellence and hard work whilst dealing decisively with exam malpractices, sorting/bribes, sex for marks, sale of handouts and all those unwholesome practices currently blighting our educational system. There is need for an urgent overhaul of our educational curriculum to reflect the economic realities of the working environment and equip our students with the necessary skills and competencies required.

Also there is urgent need for testing of the so called lecturers with view to weeding out the square pegs akin to what elrufai did in Kaduna.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: LAUTECH Increases School Fees To N300,000 From N120k by Nigeriadondie: 10:54pm On Jul 21, 2018
obi58:

[b]Yeah right..... You're comparing yourself to schools in first world economics where indigenes pay less fees than international students and there are still a plethora of grants and student loans to choose from in spite of their minimum wage. You won't compare yourself to what fees are charged for quality tertiary education in nearby African countries like Ghana and Kenya.

How much are lecturers paid as salaries today? How many of them are sponsored to receive the best training abroad to impart to our schools?

How many states, local governments, villages, churches and mosques are involved in provision of scholarships and financial aid services to the most deserving students and to aid wards within their vicinities with financial difficulties?

What is the quality of education and skill acquisition provided in our technical schools? Come to think of it... How well equipped and staffed are our technical schools?

How many of these universities can even account for the alleged insufficient subventions they receive from government? How many of these institutions can provide verifiable proof of how school fees are utilised in the administration of the school?

How many universities do you know that despite having professors in the faculties of Bus. As and Accounting are able to provide audited statements of account on yearly basis on all their inflows and outflows?

What percentage of corporate tax is allocated to Education and how many corporate organizations sponsor and are encouraged by government to sponsor educational development as part of their CSR? Why can't we have an education tax instead of value added tax?

Are these things not doable? Why must the students bear the brunt of the inaction and inefficiency of these stakeholders in the discharge of their duties towards ensuring qualitative education is made a reality in our educational institutions?

Our educational imbroglio is multifaceted and hydraheaded and it would be too plebian to just place the entire burden on the student. That will not improve the quality of the output as much as limit the quality of the input of the best brains into our educational institutions.
Government and not students has a key role to play in developing quality education in this country.[/b]
You have made valid points which some idiots on this thread making silly comments are ignorant of.
Re: LAUTECH Increases School Fees To N300,000 From N120k by Buffalowings3(m): 10:56pm On Jul 21, 2018
If my brother dey school Dere

Na to just commit suicide be that for me cry cry cry
Re: LAUTECH Increases School Fees To N300,000 From N120k by CodeTemplar: 11:00pm On Jul 21, 2018
obi58:

Whoever told you govt provides 300k subsidy is lying to you sir. Subsidize what exactly? Is it the overcrowded classrooms? Or perhaps the cost of handouts? Or the expired lab equipment? Or the ancient and torn books in the library?

We should be looking at enforcing standards in our institutions to ensure academic excellence and hard work whilst dealing decisively with exam malpractices, sorting/bribes, sex for marks, sale of handouts and all those unwholesome practices currently blighting our educational system. There is need for an urgent overhaul of our educational curriculum to reflect the economic realities of the working environment and equip our students with the necessary skills and competencies required.

Also there is urgent need for testing of the so called lecturers with view to weeding out the square pegs akin to what elrufai did in Kaduna.
I first heard it from Okebukola's mouth around 2006. Then just last year Unilags VC repeated same and hinted that unilag needs about N4.8m to properly educate a student but is getting only 300k plus. I can search out the link now.
Re: LAUTECH Increases School Fees To N300,000 From N120k by JamesIkosong(m): 11:00pm On Jul 21, 2018
We can be of help.

Re: LAUTECH Increases School Fees To N300,000 From N120k by Buffalowings3(m): 11:01pm On Jul 21, 2018
Nigeriadondie:

You have made valid points which some idiots on this thread making silly comments are ignorant of.

All your leaders were beneficiaries of free education. Hell majority of them were under scholarships from the govt
What has Nigeria ever done for you?
Granted, money is required to maintain the standard yet Education needs to be made affordable.
Public schools have been chronically underfunded because of some section in this country.
Re: LAUTECH Increases School Fees To N300,000 From N120k by Buffalowings3(m): 11:04pm On Jul 21, 2018
Dboy55:

Bro why did you bring his parent into it ,it's not fair brah,if your parents have money like claim why don't you travel abroad to school.
PS:who told you lautech offers quality education,it's not the same outdated curiculm more than 30yrs ago they are still using ?

This is terrible
Re: LAUTECH Increases School Fees To N300,000 From N120k by obi58: 11:05pm On Jul 21, 2018
CodeTemplar:
I first heard it from Okebukola's mouth around 2006. Then just last year Unilags VC repeated same and hinted that unilag needs about N4.8m to properly educate a student but is getting only 300k plus. I can search out the link now.

Bro do you believe everything you hear? You should know it's just a gimmick to campaign for more and more funds and justify the abominable quality of education provided to the students today!

I asked you a simple question. What exactly is being subsidized? Is it the cost of books which are not provided or the overcrowded classrooms and filthy hostels or the ramshackle libraries or the decrepit laboratories?

What exactly is being subsidized?

If you have a class of 100 paying school fees of 100k each that is 10million naira per class in tuition alone! What other subsidy is being sought for?

1 Like

Re: LAUTECH Increases School Fees To N300,000 From N120k by jossy444(m): 11:06pm On Jul 21, 2018
This is too expensive they should consider the less privileged
Re: LAUTECH Increases School Fees To N300,000 From N120k by pfadom: 11:10pm On Jul 21, 2018
gabbijason:
We should be moving forward in this country not the other way.

Meanwhile am FTC for the third time today!

Good bless Nairaland!
Good bless Naijaland!
Good bless my boss! #kimmediaphotography

You no get work. So Nairaland has got you occupied.
Re: LAUTECH Increases School Fees To N300,000 From N120k by CodeTemplar: 11:17pm On Jul 21, 2018
obi58:

Bro do you believe everything you hear? You should know it's just a gimmick to campaign for more and more funds and justify the abominable quality of education provided to the students today!

I asked you a simple question. What exactly is being subsidized? Is it the cost of books which are not provided or the overcrowded classrooms and filthy hostels or the ramshackle libraries or the decrepit laboratories?

If you have a class of 100 paying school fees of 100k each that is 10million naira per class in tuition alone! What other subsidy is being sought for?
https://m.guardian.ng/features/education/balancing-rhetoric-and-action-in-varsity-funding/

It is common knowledge fed uni gets 11billion in addition to about 2-4 billion extra from tetfund and revenues. Unilag has 40,000 student and that gives us another means of estimating the average cost of educating a student yearly.

These are easily verifiable facts so stop saying they are mere funding campaign strategy.

1 Like

Re: LAUTECH Increases School Fees To N300,000 From N120k by CodeTemplar: 11:19pm On Jul 21, 2018
obi58:

Everything that goes onto the education they provide. power, water, labs, salaries, structures etc. stop the excuses.
Re: LAUTECH Increases School Fees To N300,000 From N120k by kezy58: 11:19pm On Jul 21, 2018
divinelove:

is his father the one that quoted you?.despite going to the best sch like u think u did,u still had to show your stupidity which is awesome... Idiot like you....how much u get or which sch u go wey dey make u feel like one kin don....
Re: LAUTECH Increases School Fees To N300,000 From N120k by SoNature(m): 11:28pm On Jul 21, 2018
obi58:

I didn't have the time to read all this, but private universities don't give grants. Harvard and co are the most expensive schools in the world.

Just like Nigeria, u can only enjoy all those in public schools

Again, there's no basis for argument - university education isn't meant for everyone.

We must fix our technical schools so that technicians in China, US and India don't come here and show us skills that university graduates don't even have

1 Like

Re: LAUTECH Increases School Fees To N300,000 From N120k by McDoe(m): 11:37pm On Jul 21, 2018
divinelove:

Guy, wise up na. Even if you are rich, try to consider for others. If we can't enjoy anything in this country, can't we enjoy education. The 300k is far too much.

Don't be proud of whatever as it is God that giveth wealth. He can also deny you same if you are not humble

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Some Nigerian Courses And Their Type Of Student / Five Fallacies About Being A Medical Student / Western Delta University Lecturer Rocks Students Wig In Class

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.