Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,462 members, 7,819,684 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:50 PM

Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” (38964 Views)

We Win Again / Mesut Ozil Cites Nigerian Legend As Reason For Move To Fenerbahce / “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” – Mesut Ozil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by aribisala0(m): 11:18am On Jul 23, 2018
Chevronstaff:
Maybe now players with Turkish or other heritage will think twice about playing for
Germany . Its a shame Ozil have been made to feel like this having been born in the country and served them so well..

I think Germany should hold a reconciliatory meeting with Ozil in national interest. Ozil’s move has stained their PR..

Disgusting from Germany . Ozil deserves no hate for his heritage...
The truth is the photo was controversial politically but that is not Ozil's problem. Where there is no law there is no crime. He broke no rules.

The German FA should have supported Ozil and maybe made very clear rules for the futureThose commenting here are ignorant of one key fact.

Turks are the largest single non German group in Germany and they are not really loved and that is the background to all of this
There is no officiial posture of the German government against Erdogan and there is no official bar to associating with him

1 Like

Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by kjhova(m): 11:21am On Jul 23, 2018
tbaba1234:

Ozil has Turkish roots. He can be proud of his turkish heritage. He can be Turkish and German. It is not one or the other.

There is nuance in issues like this. He can love his Turkish roots and his German roots at the same time. It is part of what makes him Ozil.

Just as you said, there is nuance in issues like this. There is a big world of a difference between "being Turkish" and "having Turkish roots".

Many of us in Africa don't feel this immigration and citizenship issues like Europeans do being that we are mostly citizens of recently created artificial nations.

Imagine that you are Yoruba and a citizen of a country called Yoruba. Every Emeka or Nnamdi you meet who is a naturalized Yoruba citizen will always be struggling to be accepted as Yoruba by the generality of the population. This is what immigrants face in Europe. Particularly important to note is that Turkey and Germany are nearby neighbours who are usually not best friends. Also important is that Erdogan is presently a pariah of sorts in Europe who recently attempted to hold a big campaign rally for Turkish immigrants in the heart of Germany.

Ozil should know better in this regard as this situation is needless and avoidable. Moreso, it does more harm to the immigration discussion than good.
Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by madjune(m): 11:28am On Jul 23, 2018
He should just change nationality.

Move your career and family to England and settle there.
Worse still, go to Turkey because thats your true home.
Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by Upandup: 11:31am On Jul 23, 2018
Johnzzy:
I think Ozil brought this on himself.

You don't associate with a character like Erdogan and not expect a massive backlash. It's just like taking a picture with Bashar al-Assad, claiming he's your root, while you play for Israel.

He was naive.

The deal breaker was when Joachim Low asked him to do a joint press conference to clear the air. Bros started beating around the bush.

Given his level of influence and reach, he should be more discreet next time.

I hate to buy into arguments such as this. So you're basically saying that the German team failed in the World cup because of a picture Ozil took with the president of Turkey in London at a Charity event?

Come on... there is nothing that justifies racism. Ozil didn't fly to Istanbul to meet Erdogan and congratulate him on the Syrian war. I think Low and the media wants to use him as a sacrifice instead of criticizing Low for his poor selection and decisions at the World.

Stop justifying racism.
Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by aribisala0(m): 11:48am On Jul 23, 2018
kjhova:

Just as you said, there is nuance in issues like this. There is a big world of a difference between "being Turkish" and "having Turkish roots".

Many of us in Africa don't feel this immigration and citizenship issues like Europeans do being that we are mostly citizens of recently created artificial nations.

Imagine that you are Yoruba and a citizen of a country called Yoruba. Every Emeka or Nnamdi you meet who is a naturalized Yoruba citizen will always be struggling to be accepted as Yoruba by the generality of the population. This is what immigrants face in Europe. Particularly important to note is that Turkey and Germany are nearby neighbours who are usually not best friends. Also important is that Erdogan is presently a pariah of sorts in Europe who recently attempted to hold a big campaign rally for Turkish immigrants in the heart of Germany.

Ozil should know better in this regard as this situation is needless and avoidable. Moreso, it does more harm to the immigration discussion than good.

World of difference between "being" and having roots is that for the observer or the person doing the root having or being Turkish. You cannot impose that on anyone it is for each individual to make his choice just like Iwobi did. Just like Anthony Joshua did. If he chooses to photo with Buhaari that is his prerogative

how come that same argument does not apply to Jews and Israel.
Any European Jew can become Israeli whenever they like and no one complains

I do not see how Erdogan is any worse than Netanyahu. How cheap is Palestinia life in Israel. oes the press even carry it?
I do not know what you mean by many of us not feeling citizenship issues like Europeans. Evidence?
No one feels citizenship like Nigerians in my view
Ozil is perfectly entitled

1 Like

Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by Nobody: 11:55am On Jul 23, 2018
Upandup:

I hate to buy into arguments such as this. So you're basically saying that the German team failed in the World cup because of a picture Ozil took with the president of Turkey in London at a Charity event?

Come on... there is nothing that justifies racism. Ozil didn't fly to Istanbul to meet Erdogan and congratulate him on the Syrian war. I think Low and the media wants to use him as a sacrifice instead of criticizing Low for his poor selection and decisions at the World.

Stop justifying racism.
Where did I mention that the German team failed in the World cup because of his picture with Erdogan.

I feel you guys should understand an argument before jumping into conclusion. Support racism? How?
Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by Upandup: 12:14pm On Jul 23, 2018
Johnzzy:

Where did I mention that the German team failed in the World cup because of his picture with Erdogan.

I feel you guys should understand an argument before jumping into conclusion. Support racism? How?

It's funny you ask me this. You dont even realise that you oppose Ozil's POV, hence, technically supporting the media and the DFB.

If you didn't read Ozil's 1st and 2nd responses, as well as the statements from the Bayern chief Uli Hoeness, and the DFB's Reinhard Grindel and Oliver Bierhoff; then I can forgive you for not knowing what you were saying.

This can be likened to the feud between Trevor Noah and the French ambassador, except this is just the opposite.

My advice: Consider all sides before you make a conclusion.
Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by ohimai83: 12:44pm On Jul 23, 2018
kjhova:

Mesut Ozil did himself no favours with this bolded line. Considering the diplomatic issues between Germany and Turkey and the general atmosphere in Europe presently concerning immigration and the rise of the right wing parties, he should know better.

This is very much like Kelechi Iheanacho taking pictures with Nnamdi Kanu (when he was still alive?!?!?) or Ahmed Musa seen on tape with Abubakar Shekau..ok maybe not that dramatic but you get the picture, ehn?

What diplomatic isuue? Do you know Germany still owes turkey like 2 billion euros for helping them with the immigration crises? If they were enemies, how did that deal happen? The German media see Erdogan as a tyrant (their own cup of tea) but his people love him!

1 Like

Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by kjhova(m): 2:11pm On Jul 23, 2018
aribisala0:

World of difference between "being" and having roots is that for the observer or the person doing the root having or being Turkish. You cannot impose that on anyone it is for each individual to make his choice just like Iwobi did. Just like Anthony Joshua did. If he chooses to photo with Buhaari that is his prerogative

how come that same argument does not apply to Jews and Israel.
Any European Jew can become Israeli whenever they like and no one complains

I do not see how Erdogan is any worse than Netanyahu. How cheap is Palestinia life in Israel. oes the press even carry it?
I do not know what you mean by many of us not feeling citizenship issues like Europeans. Evidence?
No one feels citizenship like Nigerians in my view
Ozil is perfectly entitled

Now you are ranting and I have no idea which of your numerous off-topic points to attend to.
Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by aribisala0(m): 2:13pm On Jul 23, 2018
kjhova:

Now my father is ranting and I have no idea which of his numerous off-topic points to attend to.
Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by Arielle: 2:25pm On Jul 23, 2018
aribisala0:
You are the one that is naive? The reality is he is being scapegoated because he is Turkish

What kind of "Character" is Erdogan? Do you know him? What are the sources of information you have about him?

How is Netanyahu Trump Obama or Sarkozy a better character?

You think you are thinkig your own thoughts but do not realize you are just running an App.
You are condittioned to believe that Western leaders are nice cuddly people when they are responsible for most of the bloodshed we have seen over the last 50 years.
When the US killed millions in Viet Nam and Iraq did you get any alternative source of media questioning their leaders.
Today they have completely blacked out news from Yemen

It is said until Lions develop their own storytellers the tale of the hunt will belong to man. If you believe that Western leaders are nice people then you are the most naive

Your Israel Analogy is wack.

Is Germany at War with Turkey?

I could just hug you for this. One million likes!!
Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by frankdGreat125: 2:30pm On Jul 23, 2018
I forbid white,
France national team is made of blacks
Pogba, kante, utiti, Mpape, etc
People were seriously celebrating because they won world cup. Next time they didn't, they will now be classified as black monkeys n chimpanzees.
Wot a forbidden world we are.
Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by gentle007(m): 2:35pm On Jul 23, 2018
Johnzzy:

You don't associate with a character like Erdogan and not expect a massive backlash. It's just like taking a picture with Bashar al-Assad, claiming he's your root, while you play for Israel.

He was naive.

The deal breaker was when Joachim Low asked him to do a joint press conference to clear the air. Bros started beating around the bush.

Football has nothing to do with politics. They should not have ever associated whoever he met with football if in the right sense they want to separate football with politics. He has the right to meet with anybody and it should have remained that way.

In my opinion, he is right. His opinions are correct. He is a footballer and not a politician. Am sure that if he took that pix with German leader, it wouldn't have raised so much noise.
Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by gentle007(m): 2:37pm On Jul 23, 2018
Upandup:

Stop justifying racism.

Tell them o. Am sure same racism issue made them not to go with Sane.
Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by Oegbeyem: 3:04pm On Jul 23, 2018
Johnzzy:

He was naive.

bros if you were the one, you would do the same thing. He's a footballer not a politician. He was disrespected because he's an immigrant. You don't have to explain taking a picture with the president of your country of origin to anyone. Anyone who doesn't understand it's an ordinary picture is an immature fool and racist.

1 Like

Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by Oegbeyem: 3:10pm On Jul 23, 2018
aribisala0:
The truth is the photo was controversial politically but that is not Ozil's problem. Where there is no law there is no crime. He broke no rules.

The German FA should have supported Ozil and maybe made very clear rules for the futureThose commenting here are ignorant of one key fact.

Turks are the largest single non German group in Germany and they are not really loved and that is the background to all of this
There is no officiial posture of the German government against Erdogan and there is no official bar to associating with him
it was controversial politically because it had one politician inside it but not controversial footballtically. Erdogan was democratically elected by the majority. People should respect other people's backgrounds and that's why he was pissed.
Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by Analysiscorner: 3:29pm On Jul 23, 2018
Like a Nigerian immigrant in the UK becoming a champion would be tagged as a UK citizen, while the same citizen of Nigerian descent would be called a Nigerian immigrant when involved in crime.
Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by tbaba1234: 3:58pm On Jul 23, 2018
kjhova:

This is a bit personal to me.

I am a father of a child with dual citizenship. My child is exposed to Nigerian culture, food and language. She is also exposed to the local way of life here. She is no doubt going to grow up having a connection to both countries. She is not one or the other. She is both.

What sometimes happens to immigrants is that they face enough discrimination that forces them to embrace their roots more than where they were born. Others will face more connection to their birth country.
Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by Bimpe29: 4:54pm On Jul 23, 2018
Racism is a global disease.
Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by kjhova(m): 5:03pm On Jul 23, 2018
tbaba1234:

This is a bit personal to me.

I am a father of a child with dual citizenship. My child is exposed to Nigerian culture, food and language. She is also exposed to the local way of life here. She is no doubt going to grow up having a connection to both countries. She is not one or the other. She is both.

What sometimes happens to immigrants is that they face enough discrimination that forces them to embrace their roots more than where they were born. Others will face more connection to their birth country.

I feel you bro and I understand where you are coming from. However, to me, this is all the more reason why Mesut should have been more circumspect about the whole photo-up affair. Truth is that, Erdogan's government has since utilized those pictures in propaganda promoting himself and his regime at home.

There are still many Turks on the asylum/residency waiting list in Germany and this avoidable negative media does them no good. Mesut is not a dual citizen as he carries a German passport, and is an icon in Germany. Yes, he has Turkish roots and has the right to identify with Turkish things but a photo-up with Erdogan is political and will always be. Some things are not just worth the stress.
Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by tbaba1234: 5:17pm On Jul 23, 2018
kjhova:

I feel you bro and I understand where you are coming from. However, to me, this is all the more reason why Mesut should have been more circumspect about the whole photo-up affair. Truth is that, Erdogan's government has since utilized those pictures in propaganda promoting himself and his regime at home.

There are still many Turks on the asylum/residency waiting list in Germany and this avoidable negative media does them no good. Mesut is not a dual citizen as he carries a German passport, and is an icon in Germany. Yes, he has Turkish roots and has the right to identify with Turkish things but a photo-up with Erdogan is political and will always be. Some things are not just worth the stress.

Ozil has taken several pictures overtime with Erdogan. It does not mean, he endorses his policies. I doubt they even talk about politics. There are pictures as far back as 2011. He was just being his normal self.
Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by afroxyz: 6:31pm On Jul 23, 2018
Johnzzy:

He was naive.

What does it have to do with the football he is playing. Separate politics from football, simple!
Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by afroxyz: 6:43pm On Jul 23, 2018
kjhova:

Now you are ranting and I have no idea which of your numerous off-topic points to attend to.

It means STFU and listen to superior argument. Don't come here to argue with your CNN based facts. The world is in circles, so is the truth
Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by swiperthefox: 7:12pm On Jul 23, 2018
Sharpshooota:
If France was knocked out in the group stage

They would have deported pogba... Kante.. Etc back to Africa by now
That's how Trevor Noah and French Diplomat are sparing after he said that Africans won the world cup and the diplomat insisted you can be African and French. Trevor quipped that if they commit offence they becomes Africans but when do something commendable they become french like the Mali guy that scaled the building to rescue the baby.

Exactly what would've happened if France lost with basically almost all black team.
Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by aribisala0(m): 11:20am On Jul 24, 2018
Erdogan was photgraphed during a visit to London at a charity event wth Ozil

During the same visit he was photographed with the Queen and the British prme Minister.

If he is taking photos with the Queen and PM on what basis is Ozil to refuse the photo with him.

Now contrast that with Putin.

Angela Merkel boycotted Russia during the World Cup . Lothar Matthaus was photographed with Putin and there was no problem.

Here is the reality about Turks in Germany.

Germans do not like their presence in Germany and resisted moves to give citizenship to the grandchildren of migrants who came to help them rebuild their country after the war. This was a very bitter episode eventually Germany was shamed to giving them citizenship jjust in 1995 after decades of living in Germany and having children and grandchildren. That means even Ozil did not get citizenship untiil he was 8 even though he was born and his parents were born in Germany.

It is that resentment that is driving this and nothing else. If they wanted to ake an issue of it the correct thing was to drop hip before the World up and not then scapegoat him for the poor performance of the team
Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by kjhova(m): 2:31pm On Jul 24, 2018
afroxyz:

It means STFU and listen to superior argument. Don't come here to argue with your CNN based facts. The world is in circles, so is the truth

"...with your CNN based facts..." tells it all. No further engagement.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Tammy Abraham: My Main Striker Should Come From Africa – Mourinho / Free Tips Daily. Free Odds And More / Usain Bolt Retires From Football After Two Matches!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.