Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,689 members, 7,809,605 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:54 AM

Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” (38944 Views)

We Win Again / Mesut Ozil Cites Nigerian Legend As Reason For Move To Fenerbahce / “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” – Mesut Ozil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by Nigeriapen1: 6:35am On Jul 23, 2018

L-R: Ilkay Gundogan, Mesut Ozil and Turkish President Recip Tayyip Erdogan

In a quite dramatic fashion German International and 2014 World Cup winner Mesut Ozil has thrown the towel on his career with the German National team after a disappointing World Cup in Russia where he received heavy criticism and bad press for his picture with the President of Turkey, Recip Tayyip Erdogan.

Ozil in a statement published on his various social media accounts described how he was treated by the DFB and particularly the DFB President Reinhard Grindel for racial intolerance and bigotry.

“People with racially discriminative backgrounds should not be allowed to work in the largest football federation in the world that has players from dual‑heritage families. Attitudes like theirs simply do not reflect the players they supposedly represent.”

A Turkish immigrant in Germany, Ozil was heavily criticised for taking a picture with Turkish President Recip Tayyip Erdogan. He later was heavily vilified by the German public for Germany’s disappointing 2018 World Cup – an easy victim. Ozil in an open letter published on his social media accounts lamented his treatment by some parts of the German society, and that his achievements for Germany have all been forgotten. Stating “I am German when we win and immigrant when we lose.”

One will think that this kind of behaviour is only limited to African immigrants in Europe, however, it appears, it is the general sentiments for all immigrants. Mesut Ozil, a footballer who gained worldwide acclaim at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, was instrumental in the Germany team that lifted the World Cup trophy four years later in Brazil.

Ozil added that “when high-ranking DFB officials treat me as they did, disrespect my Turkish roots and selfishly turn me to political propaganda, then enough is enough. That is not why I play football, and I will not sit back and do nothing about it. Racism should never, ever be accepted.

“My job is a football player and not a politician, and our meeting was not an endorsement of any policies. The treatment I have received from the DFB and many others makes me no longer want to wear the German national team shirt.”

Mesut Ozil along with Manchester City and national teammate Ilkay Gundogan took a picture with the much criticised Turkish President and it is yet to be revealed if Gundogan will also follow the same root with Ozil to protest against racism in Germany and German football.

“People with racially discriminative backgrounds should not be allowed to work in the largest football federation in the world that has players from dual‑heritage families.

Attitudes like theirs simply do not reflect the players they supposedly represent.

SOURCE: https://www.nigeriapen.com.ng/i-am-german-when-we-win-and-immigrant-when-we-lose-mesut-ozil-cites-racism-as-he-quits-german-national-team/

51 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by jubor(m): 6:40am On Jul 23, 2018
It happens all the time, the same people that screamed hosanna were the same that asked for Jesus to be stringed. Keep being Ozil

183 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by Evablizin(f): 6:43am On Jul 23, 2018
Sorry.
Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by omowolewa: 6:48am On Jul 23, 2018
Success has many friends, thatz all

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by DEXTROVERT: 6:51am On Jul 23, 2018
I'm Very Sorry Its My Fault I Caused It
Don't Be ANGRY
WHY DID THEY WANT TO KILL HIM

3 Likes

Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by Dreyl(m): 6:52am On Jul 23, 2018
Racism is everywhere

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by wristbangle: 6:54am On Jul 23, 2018
Success is famous while failure is obscure. People hail you when things are sweet yet tongue lash you the moment things turn sour.

One should never do things to please people. Please God, yourself and your family ( wife and children).

I thought the Germans are non racist people. Not only they are racist but as well an ingrate.

80 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by Elmojiid(m): 6:57am On Jul 23, 2018
life as i see it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by Nobody: 7:20am On Jul 23, 2018
Europeans and demented mentality

4 Likes

Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by critique2(m): 7:25am On Jul 23, 2018
Please, Rohr can you come close, there's this sweet word I want to whisper into your ears.
Ehhhh, don't fear, I won't beat you

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by nairavsdollars(f): 8:00am On Jul 23, 2018
Painful. Germans are the worst racist in the world

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by jegz25(m): 8:01am On Jul 23, 2018
It's so unfair. Whoever watched 2014 World Cup knew how instrumental ozil was. He didn't deserve this. You see oyinbo people em... I never liked them

50 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by Nobody: 8:01am On Jul 23, 2018
Nigeriapen1:
“My job is a football player and not a politician, and our meeting was not an endorsement of any policies."

It's a good thing he clearly stated this for the record.

57 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:01am On Jul 23, 2018
A VERY sad and emotional letter from Ozil.
Why are fans like this?!

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by madridguy(m): 8:02am On Jul 23, 2018
grin grin
Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by ipobarecriminals: 8:02am On Jul 23, 2018
embarassed sad see how Arsenal/ Wenger useless this guy

2 Likes

Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by BruncleZuma: 8:02am On Jul 23, 2018
grin grin grin grin
Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:03am On Jul 23, 2018
DEXTROVERT:
I'm
Very Sorry Its My Fault
I Caused It

Don't Be ANGRY

WHY DID THEY WANT TO KILL HIM
CHISOS shocked shocked shocked!!!
Nairaland ooooo cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by yjgm(m): 8:03am On Jul 23, 2018
Racism everywhere.

3 Likes

Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by Nobody: 8:03am On Jul 23, 2018
How could anyone hate on the most selfless player I know...

Mesut Ozil is a favorite anytime anyday

86 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by Sharpshooota: 8:04am On Jul 23, 2018
If France was knocked out in the group stage

They would have deported pogba... Kante.. Etc back to Africa by now

89 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by Afritop(m): 8:06am On Jul 23, 2018
Now he is regretting playing for Germany

10 Likes

Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by Nobody: 8:06am On Jul 23, 2018
I think Ozil brought this on himself.

You don't associate with a character like Erdogan and not expect a massive backlash. It's just like taking a picture with Bashar al-Assad, claiming he's your root, while you play for Israel.

He was naive.

The deal breaker was when Joachim Low asked him to do a joint press conference to clear the air. Bros started beating around the bush.

Given his level of influence and reach, he should be more discreet next time.

62 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by Kurnade: 8:06am On Jul 23, 2018
Elmojiid:
life as i see it.
Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by Sharpshooota: 8:06am On Jul 23, 2018
alfred3007:
my game do the convincing not words so call,whatsapp or telegram the number below if interested

So people still fall for this cheap scam....

3 Likes

Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by Chiedu4Trump: 8:06am On Jul 23, 2018
The same way Biafrans when they win are Nigerians.

The Fulanis are so scared of Biafra that they almost had a heart attack when Ben Bruce said Biafra will Rise again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZZqZIxRhgQ

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mesut Ozil Cites Racism: “I Am German When We Win And Immigrant When We Lose” by chiboy1116: 8:07am On Jul 23, 2018
Mtchew ..,..

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Belgium Vs Tunisia: World Cup (5 - 2) On 23rd June 2018 / Tammy Abraham: My Main Striker Should Come From Africa – Mourinho / Baidian’er The Psychic Cat Is Dead! Predicted Argentina - Nigeria Match

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.