Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,999 members, 7,817,952 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:49 PM

Travelling To A Foreign Country? Break The Language Barrier With These Apps. - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Travelling To A Foreign Country? Break The Language Barrier With These Apps. (16923 Views)

Delete These Apps Immediately! / You Can Use These Apps If Government Shuts Down The Internet / How Can I Use My MTN SIM In A Foreign Country (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Travelling To A Foreign Country? Break The Language Barrier With These Apps. by flexyrule(m): 10:14am On Jul 25, 2018
deepwater:
Cool

My stay in asia was very difficult, even with language translating apps. Recall being the only black person on the connecting flight from Dubai to my destination, after my host (Virginia God bless you) on the emirate plane said good bye it was difficult to see someone else who would speak English, French or little Latin. Everyone was just more interested in my skin colour and wooly afro-texture hair. Coming out of the airport arrival into the park, I felt like a living museum as kids were looking jaw dropped and a scene was started almost immediately which luckily for me attracted my chauffeur. Couldn't express the joy when I saw that A4 size paper with the name of my host company body written on it. Thought this would be the end, rather the journey just started.
The chauffeur wouldn't say anything except hello! and continuous offer of cigarettes and bottle water - oga where I dey come from woman no dey smoke cigar oooo grin looked around as we drove by it was like cigarette smoking has been enshrined in their constitution even aged grannies just keep lighting up one stick like every other minutes.

Got to the avani hotel, was welcomed with a cup of rea and dried ginger (that sh.t taste good bro), and a note to wait for a translator. Poor me, my host company executives were in an impromptu meeting at the shipyard. 20 minutes later I was introduced to my translator who actually was an hotel staff on leave but had to to be called back to work for my sake (now that's what I called customer service). Had a chat with the young boy and he told him he learnt English on his own by watching American movies shocked. He is not even educated beyond junior high school. I also recall that guy Barkhad Abdi in the movie captain Phillip who said he learnt English by listening to jay z music's undecided

My country people all this app thing no work o, as it is important you see someone willing to assist u.
Moved to the sofitel Metropole where everyone there speaks at least three foreign languages - not a five star hotel for nothing undecided

At the shipyard, I saw the Nigerian flag flying high and tall actually not in my honour but for the sake of two Nigeria military boats still on the coasters but due for sea trials.

The flying flag gave me some sort of assurance as i was just the only black person there.
Even if I like Biafra of which I am by blood, seeing that Nigeria flag far away in a strange land rekindled some hope within but when you remember the tyrannical government and it's lies and propagandas the hope disappears like a mirage.

By the way, seun I noticed nairaland no longer have page zero (0) since yesterday. Yes, I pay attention to details ....why is the so. Has the zero page defected to another party? grin
Smart girl. Your comment caught my eye. The "attention to detail" part finally bought me over.
But am hydrophobic!
Re: Travelling To A Foreign Country? Break The Language Barrier With These Apps. by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 10:56am On Jul 25, 2018
zealz4u:
Great apps.... I wish we have apps like this for our local languages cos I'm very interested in learning more Nigerian languages
There are Nigerian apps on playstore and apple store. Few weeks ago I recommended an app on Igbo language for a Danish friend.
Re: Travelling To A Foreign Country? Break The Language Barrier With These Apps. by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 11:02am On Jul 25, 2018
If you depend on translators you will blame your self. The best is to learn the basics of the language of your host. Apps like Duolingo, Memerise, LingQ and s many good apps can help you. The only thing I use Google translator for is to search a right word from one language to another.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Travelling To A Foreign Country? Break The Language Barrier With These Apps. by deepwater(f): 11:13am On Jul 25, 2018
flexyrule:
But am hydrophobic!
Eyaah! sorry But I AM DEEPWATER
Re: Travelling To A Foreign Country? Break The Language Barrier With These Apps. by paprika212(f): 11:34am On Jul 25, 2018
lilfreezy:
If you use Google translate, you will just say something that will get you arrested undecided
grin
lilfreezy:
If you use Google translate, you will just say something that will get you arrested undecided
Re: Travelling To A Foreign Country? Break The Language Barrier With These Apps. by PropertyDeals(f): 11:45am On Jul 25, 2018
50% Off! A rare Opportunity to
Own Christal Villa Queens Court
with CofO Shapati Lekki at N5m
+ Free Deed of Assignment.

For details/Inspection:

NIKE 07064401427
IYKE 08023963432
SAHEED 09066815852
ABIOLA 07036435999

Becoming a Landlord has been made easy!
Re: Travelling To A Foreign Country? Break The Language Barrier With These Apps. by obibc(m): 12:44pm On Jul 25, 2018
Cool
Re: Travelling To A Foreign Country? Break The Language Barrier With These Apps. by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jul 25, 2018
deepwater:
Cool

My stay in asia was very difficult, even with language translating apps. Recall being the only black person on the connecting flight from Dubai to my destination, after my host (Virginia God bless you) on the emirate plane said good bye it was difficult to see someone else who would speak English, French or little Latin. Everyone was just more interested in my skin colour and wooly afro-texture hair. Coming out of the airport arrival into the park, I felt like a living museum as kids were looking jaw dropped and a scene was started almost immediately which luckily for me attracted my chauffeur. Couldn't express the joy when I saw that A4 size paper with the name of my host company body written on it. Thought this would be the end, rather the journey just started.
The chauffeur wouldn't say anything except hello! and continuous offer of cigarettes and bottle water - oga where I dey come from woman no dey smoke cigar oooo grin looked around as we drove by it was like cigarette smoking has been enshrined in their constitution even aged grannies just keep lighting up one stick like every other minutes.

Got to the avani hotel, was welcomed with a cup of rea and dried ginger (that sh.t taste good bro), and a note to wait for a translator. Poor me, my host company executives were in an impromptu meeting at the shipyard. 20 minutes later I was introduced to my translator who actually was an hotel staff on leave but had to to be called back to work for my sake (now that's what I called customer service). Had a chat with the young boy and he told him he learnt English on his own by watching American movies shocked. He is not even educated beyond junior high school. I also recall that guy Barkhad Abdi in the movie captain Phillip who said he learnt English by listening to jay z music's undecided

My country people all this app thing no work o, as it is important you see someone willing to assist u.
Moved to the sofitel Metropole where everyone there speaks at least three foreign languages - not a five star hotel for nothing undecided

At the shipyard, I saw the Nigerian flag flying high and tall actually not in my honour but for the sake of two Nigeria military boats still on the coasters but due for sea trials.

The flying flag gave me some sort of assurance as i was just the only black person there.
Even if I like Biafra of which I am by blood, seeing that Nigeria flag far away in a strange land rekindled some hope within but when you remember the tyrannical government and it's lies and propagandas the hope disappears like a mirage.

By the way, seun I noticed nairaland no longer have page zero (0) since yesterday. Yes, I pay attention to details ....why is this so?. Has the zero page defected to another party? grin

Nice one, I can relate to this your experience, SHI shipyard I guess, base on Egina FPSO matter............ you dey sound like person from BV
Re: Travelling To A Foreign Country? Break The Language Barrier With These Apps. by deepwater(f): 10:30pm On Jul 25, 2018
Castroii:

Nice one, I can relate to this your experience, SHI shipyard I guess, base on Egina FPSO matter............ you dey sound like person from BV

Bureau Veritas,

1 Like

Re: Travelling To A Foreign Country? Break The Language Barrier With These Apps. by Nobody: 6:48am On Jul 26, 2018
deepwater:

Bureau Veritas,
Yea.
Re: Travelling To A Foreign Country? Break The Language Barrier With These Apps. by deepwater(f): 1:19pm On Jul 26, 2018
Castroii:

Yea.
Re: Travelling To A Foreign Country? Break The Language Barrier With These Apps. by Nobody: 2:15pm On Jul 26, 2018
deepwater:

Not at all, have guys with BV tho........

(1) (2) (Reply)

Airtel Nigeria Unveils New Number Range, 0901 / CYBERCRIME: NCC To Regulate Use Of Internet / Nokia Unveils Asha 205, 205 Dual-SIM Qwerty Handsets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.