Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,947 members, 7,817,787 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:36 PM

Does A Woman Have The Right To Choose Not To Have Kids At All? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Does A Woman Have The Right To Choose Not To Have Kids At All? (2256 Views)

What To Do - I Am A Man Who Can't Have Kids / People Who Choose Not To Have Kids Or Get Married / Should A Woman Have an Affair Just Because Her Husband Is Having an Affair too (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does A Woman Have The Right To Choose Not To Have Kids At All? by Spanishfly(f): 7:18am On Jun 16, 2010
I was watching on the tv when one of these women (celebrities) decided she was not going to have kids so as not to lose her shape then another saying she does not think she has to have kids.
As women, is it necessary and our duty to have at least a child?
Re: Does A Woman Have The Right To Choose Not To Have Kids At All? by Nobody: 7:22am On Jun 16, 2010
Re: Does A Woman Have The Right To Choose Not To Have Kids At All? by Shinatu: 8:25am On Jun 16, 2010
Spanishfly:

I was watching on the tv when one of these women (celebrities) decided she was not going to have kids so as not to lose her shape then another saying she does not think she has to have kids.
As women, is it necessary and our duty to have at least a child?

Duty to who?
Re: Does A Woman Have The Right To Choose Not To Have Kids At All? by Sissy3(f): 9:24am On Jun 16, 2010
we should have the right to choice for the obvious reasons. its our body,we bear the pains/joy for 9months,the sleepless nights,nagging/worry and responsibility of raising a child and in many cases without help. and not every woman can be a good mother or have the patience required for it or have those emotional attachment people think every woman have or should have for a baby/child. the list is endless

however, your right to choice greatly depends on where(culture) and who(person) you are.

if you live/stay in a culture where its almost a mandate that a woman not only marry but have kids your choice is no longer yours to make or you face the consequences and stigma.

and then the kind of person you are also plays a role in your choice. if you are tough enough to withstand the constant bickering of families, friends etc who will question your choice, tell you how its selfish not to have one, how cute kids are, the joys of motherhood and not having investments(kids)for old age. blah blah etc etc

i think most people esp women were pissed off by by jullians statement not because of her choice not to have kids but what her statement implies about women who do have kids.motherhood doesnt mean lack of shape or lost of ones self. thats a choice(staying in shape or not) many women make, motherhood or single. i personally think her statement were out of line.
Re: Does A Woman Have The Right To Choose Not To Have Kids At All? by iice(f): 9:48am On Jun 16, 2010
To each his/her own. Some people are better of without kids, just as some are better of without parents.
Re: Does A Woman Have The Right To Choose Not To Have Kids At All? by spikedcylinder: 10:41am On Jun 16, 2010
Yes!!!!
Re: Does A Woman Have The Right To Choose Not To Have Kids At All? by Nobody: 11:42am On Jun 16, 2010
Of course!
Re: Does A Woman Have The Right To Choose Not To Have Kids At All? by MissIfe(f): 12:17pm On Jun 16, 2010
I think a woman should have the right to choose if she wants child and how many she wants (and she should also have the right to change her mind wink )

To me, the only duty a woman has is to be honest about it with her partner/husband, as it can be a major dealbreaker.
Re: Does A Woman Have The Right To Choose Not To Have Kids At All? by SisiKill1: 12:17pm On Jun 16, 2010
Lmao! So if she decides not to, what are they gonna do. . . pry her legs open and shoot sperm into her with a turkey baster?
Re: Does A Woman Have The Right To Choose Not To Have Kids At All? by spikedcylinder: 12:22pm On Jun 16, 2010
^^^^
LMBAO!!!!! grin grin grin cheesy
Re: Does A Woman Have The Right To Choose Not To Have Kids At All? by showboy1: 12:28pm On Jun 16, 2010
Please, how would u help me out of this? I studied philosophy at UNILAG with a good grade. Please, i need a job at presence because i am tired of searching of moving around./ Someone should come to my aid in case there is any available/ vacancy jobs. thanks.
Re: Does A Woman Have The Right To Choose Not To Have Kids At All? by MissyB1(m): 12:54pm On Jun 16, 2010
If the man and woman reach a mutual agreement whether or not to . . . . .Then, fine.

The woman or man should not decide alone.
Re: Does A Woman Have The Right To Choose Not To Have Kids At All? by tayoast(m): 1:51pm On Jun 16, 2010
avoiding kids 'cos of shape?
its her body. . .she can do ANYTHING!!!
Re: Does A Woman Have The Right To Choose Not To Have Kids At All? by Fhemmmy: 4:15pm On Jun 16, 2010
Yes, she has the right to decide if she wanna have kids or not.
Just like some has the right to decide how many they wanna have
Re: Does A Woman Have The Right To Choose Not To Have Kids At All? by luap: 4:39pm On Jun 16, 2010
My wife decided not to have children. She admits she, one reason is that she said it might change her figure. Another is that she said it would be hard for her to commit to a child. Another she would be jealous. We have considered adopting and we could send the child to a boarding school. I told her we would be better off just giving to children through charity, she agrees.

I do not feel the need to have children either. I have many nephews and nieces.
Re: Does A Woman Have The Right To Choose Not To Have Kids At All? by Nobody: 4:46pm On Jun 16, 2010
Re: Does A Woman Have The Right To Choose Not To Have Kids At All? by Spanishfly(f): 11:45pm On Jun 16, 2010
luap:

My wife decided not to have children.  She admits she, one reason is that she said it might change her figure.  Another is that she said it would be hard for her to commit to a child.  Another she would be jealous.  We have considered adopting and we could send the child to a boarding school.  I told her we would be better off just giving to children through charity, she agrees.

I do not feel the need to have children either.  I have many nephews and nieces.

I can't believe this but I guess people are different. Why would a woman like me, with my womb decide not to have any kid at least before I die just because I don't want to lose my shape or jealousy but oh well!

To all, guess I was wrong, I thought it was a bad thing for a woman to decide not to have any kid because of trivial reasons unless of course health wise that could be risky. I also thought that women were made without any side effects as in health wise to have at least one kid to leave behind in the event of passing away.
Re: Does A Woman Have The Right To Choose Not To Have Kids At All? by chamotex(m): 1:54am On Jun 17, 2010
This thread has really enlightened me about a lot of stuff *sighs*
Re: Does A Woman Have The Right To Choose Not To Have Kids At All? by Outstrip(f): 2:00am On Jun 17, 2010
Some people do not want kids and not because they think they will be bad parents. It just is not a necessity for some. They might love kids even but they just do not want the responsibility
Re: Does A Woman Have The Right To Choose Not To Have Kids At All? by Nobody: 3:51am On Jun 17, 2010
1. Yes, while you're single.

2. No when you're married. You and your husband had better talk about this "right" before getting married. Because it aint gonna be about YOU anymore.
Re: Does A Woman Have The Right To Choose Not To Have Kids At All? by OAM4J: 3:57am On Jun 17, 2010
Sure, a woman has the right to choose.

Having kids is not meant for everybody. Some people have no business raring kids, they are better off without one.
Re: Does A Woman Have The Right To Choose Not To Have Kids At All? by Nobody: 5:47am On Jun 17, 2010
@poster
you have to remember that these celebrities live off their looks and thats what pays the bills therefore they will do anything to keep it going "fresh and funky" as long as they can.

imho its all down to each individuals to decide if they want to have kids or not. the catch is to let your future spouse know about your choices well in advance so they dont expect something you are not willing to give.

not everyone can be a good parent and NOT everyone should have/want kids!
ask Oprah, Eva Mendes or even George Clooney and Jay Leno while they are gazillionaires and could hire all the best nannies but prefer never to have children.
Re: Does A Woman Have The Right To Choose Not To Have Kids At All? by chiyo: 5:58am On Jun 17, 2010
many US and European men and women choose not to have kids. no problem in that.

It really bothers me sometimes though. They tend to be professionals and smart people and u see them walking around with their dogs. while the low class in society are making so many babies. sad
Re: Does A Woman Have The Right To Choose Not To Have Kids At All? by Nobody: 6:08am On Jun 17, 2010
^^^^^^^^lol
not as much commitment into owning a dog, as being a parent. less stressful and when you are tired (or aint fashionable any longer), you can dispose of it without feeling guilty!
Re: Does A Woman Have The Right To Choose Not To Have Kids At All? by queeneve: 2:27pm On Jun 17, 2010
I asked my fiance did he want to have kids, He said yes,

I asked my fiance what if I didn't want any kids, HE DAMN NEAR CRIED,

BUT I DO, SO IT WON'T BE AN ISSUE FOR US,

HE LOVES CHILDREN, HE MAKE SURE I TAKE MY FOLIC ACID DAILY,
Re: Does A Woman Have The Right To Choose Not To Have Kids At All? by atunkeade: 8:44am On Jun 18, 2010
she can decide not to have children. duty some reason

If doctor advice her not to have children base on her health.

or there's no money bring up the kids.
Re: Does A Woman Have The Right To Choose Not To Have Kids At All? by iice(f): 8:59am On Jun 18, 2010
MRbrownJAY:

^^^^^^^^lol
not as much commitment into owning a dog, as being a parent. less stressful and when you are tired (or aint fashionable any longer), you can dispose of it without feeling guilty!

I dunno. . .i think some people treat their pets just like they would treat their family member.
Re: Does A Woman Have The Right To Choose Not To Have Kids At All? by SisiKill1: 11:02am On Jun 18, 2010
@ luap
- - Wife says she doesn't want kids because she might lose her figure and you go with?

- - You are considering adoption not because one of you can't have kids but because your wife doesn't want to lose her figure bearing children?

Alright Luap, 'fess up. . . where are you from coz there's no way you're a Nigerian man.
Re: Does A Woman Have The Right To Choose Not To Have Kids At All? by KennyG6(m): 2:55pm On Jun 18, 2010
Well for starters I think except for medical reasons no woman should close the door on child bearing, afterall someone gave birth to her and if her parents had decided to forego childbearing what would have become of her.
The fact that some "oyinbo" people do it does not really make it the norm, you'd find that even most professional women have kids and leave the bringing up to nannies,
If however she decided that having kids os not for her, then she needs to discuss this with her man BEFORE THEY GET MARRIED, and not just spring it on him afterwards, all these talk about people not meant to have kids is just pure trash, no one is perfect even parents
Re: Does A Woman Have The Right To Choose Not To Have Kids At All? by Sissy3(f): 4:23am On Jun 20, 2010
no woman should close the door on child bearing

meaning, we dont really have a choice then?
Re: Does A Woman Have The Right To Choose Not To Have Kids At All? by Nobody: 9:43pm On Jun 20, 2010
iice:

I dunno. . .i think some people treat their pets just like they would treat their family member.

LOL you are absolutely right!!!
you reminded me of the news this week about the heiress who died and left $3million for her favorite pet chihuaha while only leaving $1milla to her only son.
Re: Does A Woman Have The Right To Choose Not To Have Kids At All? by Nobody: 9:47pm On Jun 20, 2010
Kenny_G:

Well for starters I think except for medical reasons no woman should close the door on child bearing, afterall someone gave birth to her and if her parents had decided to forego childbearing what would have become of her.
The fact that some "oyinbo" people do it does not really make it the norm, you'd find that even most professional women have kids and leave the bringing up to nannies,
If however she decided that having kids os not for her, then she needs to discuss this with her man BEFORE THEY GET MARRIED,  and not just spring it on him afterwards,  all these talk about people not meant to have kids is just pure trash,  no one is perfect even parents

i totally disagree with you. some people are unfit to have children and  therefore shouldnt have any. the fact that their parents were fit and sound minded to have children is irrelevant in the situation.
unless a person is physically, emotionally and financially ready, they shouldnt have kids!
. . . . . . . . . and we know there are many out there who will never be.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Are Nigerians So Judgemental / 10 Symptoms Of Pregnancy / Woman Allegedly Confesses To Sleeping With Her Boss And Her Husband Two Friends

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.