Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,947 members, 7,810,623 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:16 PM

5 Thing You Should Know About Your Car Airbag - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 5 Thing You Should Know About Your Car Airbag (9237 Views)

5 Typical Signs Of A Bad Airbag Sensor / Who Says you can’t Replace A Deployed Airbag - kingreign Just Did / Hyundai Mobis Invents World-first Sunroof Airbag (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Thing You Should Know About Your Car Airbag by AutoJoshNG: 2:22pm On Jul 25, 2018
Airbags are among the common safety features found in most cars. The airbag technology was developed to reduce the impact of car crashes on drivers and passengers.

If you’re yet to understand how the airbag works, you may wish to read How Airbags Work And Types before you proceed reading what we have for you in this post.

Below are 5 facts you may have not known about airbag
Airbags are triggered only when the vehicle’s sensor detects a significantly large negative momentum under impact of collision.
A good example is when you’re driving at 100km/h and hit another vehicle moving at 80km/h in the same direction as you do, the airbag is most likely not to deploy.

On the other hand, when you’re driving slowly at 40km/h and hit a parked trailer, the airbag is most likely to deploy because of the sudden negative momentum created. This momentum triggers the airbag.

Every car is not equipped with airbags.
Airbag feature isn’t found in every car; there are cars that don’t come with that very feature. Ensure you check if the next car you want to buy comes with airbag or not in order to evaluate the car’s safety.

7 Injuries Car Airbags Can Cause If They Deploy

Airbags may deploy with smoke dust
You may see a lot of smokes and dust in the cabin when an airbag deploys. This is not a defect; it’s as well not harmful to your health. It is a mixture of nitrogen gas and fine dust that are sometimes used by manufacturers to compress the airbag so they deploy faster.

If a passenger or driver is not fully restrained they may contact the air bag before it is fully inflated, they may sustain serious or fatal injuries.

The air bag is inflated at speeds up to 200 miles per hour. This is faster than the blink of an eye.

https://autojosh.com/5-facts-about-car-airbag/

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Thing You Should Know About Your Car Airbag by AutoJoshNG: 2:23pm On Jul 25, 2018

2 Likes

Re: 5 Thing You Should Know About Your Car Airbag by nurey(m): 4:31pm On Jul 25, 2018
You are right about number two, my 2018 2leg walk leggediz benz doesn't come with factory fitted airbags grin

23 Likes

Re: 5 Thing You Should Know About Your Car Airbag by CarGuideNG: 4:47pm On Jul 25, 2018

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Thing You Should Know About Your Car Airbag by SmartToyota(m): 8:35pm On Jul 25, 2018
cheesy cheesy
nurey:
You are right about number two, my 2018 2leg walk leggediz benz doesn't come with factory fitted airbags grin
Re: 5 Thing You Should Know About Your Car Airbag by Riversides2003(m): 7:01am On Jul 26, 2018
Airbag or no airbag, we should drive cautiously and respect other road users and do not over speed, you may not have any reason to require its use during the lifetime duration of your car.

1 Like

Re: 5 Thing You Should Know About Your Car Airbag by ITbomb(m): 7:01am On Jul 26, 2018
Lexus RX350 without airbag and Kia Picanto with airbags which one do you want
Re: 5 Thing You Should Know About Your Car Airbag by phemmyfour: 7:27am On Jul 26, 2018
SRS Airbag red light on
Re: 5 Thing You Should Know About Your Car Airbag by erico2k2(m): 7:35am On Jul 26, 2018
OP, a stationary hit, would deploy its air bag.
Fault might deploy one's airbag
you do not need such speed as you described for your airbag to deploy @ 30M/hr it would deploy.

1 Like

Re: 5 Thing You Should Know About Your Car Airbag by computerglobal(m): 7:53am On Jul 26, 2018
erico2k2:
OP, a stationary hit, would deploy its air bag.
Fault might deploy one's airbag
you do not need such speed as you described for your airbag to deploy @ 30M/hr it would deploy.

Very correct sir

1 Like

Re: 5 Thing You Should Know About Your Car Airbag by victorazyvictor(m): 7:59am On Jul 26, 2018
Riversides2003:
Airbag or no airbag, we should drive cautiously and respect other road users and do not over speed, you may not have any reason to require its use during the lifetime duration of your car.

You should be ready for it anytime, the cause may not come from you BUT from the other driver.
Re: 5 Thing You Should Know About Your Car Airbag by remirez07(m): 8:22am On Jul 26, 2018
Hi, please help me my Honda Accord 2006 model’s airbag is off its even showing on the board.
Re: 5 Thing You Should Know About Your Car Airbag by Computergloba: 9:31am On Jul 26, 2018
[b]The significance of a vehicle’s airbags is beyond measure when it comes to preventing injury and saving lives, but that’s not the only value of these mechanical wonders. Vehicle airbags are expensive, often costing thousands of dollars to replace once they have been deployed in an accident[
Always do a comprehensive vehicle history report to know if an airbag deployment was reported [b]

Re: 5 Thing You Should Know About Your Car Airbag by Riversides2003(m): 11:02am On Jul 26, 2018
victorazyvictor:

You should be ready for it anytime, the cause may not come from you BUT from the other driver.

That was why I said we should all drive carefully, both me and opposite driver.
Re: 5 Thing You Should Know About Your Car Airbag by nannyo(f): 12:05pm On Jul 26, 2018
my airbag light is indicating on my dashboard steady. is this normal?
Re: 5 Thing You Should Know About Your Car Airbag by erico2k2(m): 12:21pm On Jul 26, 2018
nannyo:
my airbag light is indicating on my dashboard steady. is this normal?
No, it wont deploy if there is an impact. What car is it that you use?
Re: 5 Thing You Should Know About Your Car Airbag by Psoul(m): 2:34pm On Jul 26, 2018
ITbomb:
Lexus RX350 without airbag and Kia Picanto with airbags which one do you want

This can only happen in your imagination.
Re: 5 Thing You Should Know About Your Car Airbag by nannyo(f): 7:58pm On Jul 26, 2018
erico2k2:

No, it wont deploy if there is an impact. What car is it that you use?
I've never had accident. recently A/C man opened the dash board close to the airbag. I use a Camry Big Daddy. I hope u understand what am saying. D airbag light is showing on my dashboard. is it normal?
Re: 5 Thing You Should Know About Your Car Airbag by erico2k2(m): 9:05pm On Jul 26, 2018
nannyo:
I've never had accident. recently A/C man opened the dash board close to the airbag. I use a Camry Big Daddy. I hope u understand what am saying. D airbag light is showing on my dashboard. is it normal?
it is not normal, when your airbag light comes o n, it means the computer has seen something wrong with the system and you need it investigated.now what did he do arround the dashboard need to be reversed, tell him that.
Re: 5 Thing You Should Know About Your Car Airbag by id4sho(m): 6:51am On Jul 27, 2018
e
Re: 5 Thing You Should Know About Your Car Airbag by id4sho(m): 6:52am On Jul 27, 2018
nannyo:
ur airbag must have been disconnected
Re: 5 Thing You Should Know About Your Car Airbag by nannyo(f): 2:40pm On Jul 27, 2018
erico2k2:

it is not normal, when your airbag light comes o n, it means the computer has seen something wrong with the system and you need it investigated.now what did he do arround the dashboard need to be reversed, tell him that.
I went to refill my A/C gas, but I instructed him
to check for possible leakage or anything that needs fixing before refilling it. everything from the bonnet was fine, then he proceeded to the dashboard and removed alot of stuffs, fortunately everything pertaining the A/C was in order. so subsequently, I started seeing the airbag sign. well, I'll visit his workshop if it can be rectified or better still a professional in that field.
Re: 5 Thing You Should Know About Your Car Airbag by nannyo(f): 2:41pm On Jul 27, 2018
id4sho:
ur airbag must have been disconnected
ok il rectify it
Re: 5 Thing You Should Know About Your Car Airbag by erico2k2(m): 2:58pm On Jul 27, 2018
nannyo:

I went to refill my A/C gas, but I instructed him
to check for possible leakage or anything that needs fixing before refilling it. everything from the bonnet was fine, then he proceeded to the dashboard and removed alot of stuffs, fortunately everything pertaining the A/C was in order. so subsequently, I started seeing the airbag sign. well, I'll visit his workshop if it can be rectified or better still a professional in that field.
He must have disconnected the Airbag and forgot to put it back, ask him to take a look and retrace his steps. This is the problem with mechanics in 9ja, you ask them to do one thing they do another, and make sure you do not pay a dime for this fix.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

The Car Could Run 100 Years With No Refuelling / Things To Help You Avoid Car Damage In Flood And Rain / Watch Laser-equipped BMW M2 Competition Pop 79 Balloons In 60 Seconds

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.