Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,033 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:04 AM

Things To Help You Avoid Car Damage In Flood And Rain - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Things To Help You Avoid Car Damage In Flood And Rain (9255 Views)

Ladies Damage Their Cheating Boyfriends Cars (Photos) / This Land Rover Defender SVX Will Take You Through Flood And Mountains (photos) / How Nigerian Drivers Damage Nigerian Roads With Winter Tyres (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things To Help You Avoid Car Damage In Flood And Rain by tahoe(m): 7:02pm On Sep 06, 2016
PREPARE, LEARN AND MINIMIZE YOUR LOSSES.
Here are top ten things to help you avoid damage in flood
and rain:

1. News is always available whether through the Internet,
TV or radio. Monitor the weather forecast for chance of
isolated thunderstorms, low-pressure areas and typhoons.
Doing so will give you the lead time that you need in
preparing your course of action.

2. Protect your vehicle!

a. Familiarize yourself with the routes that you often take
so that you would be able to anticipate flooding in
those areas. Once you see that there’s heavy
downpour, don’t risk destroying your vehicle and just
stay put and do not brave the storm and heavy rain!
Make a date out of it, read a book, tuck yourself in a
warm blanket while watching your favorite show. This
just might be the break you’ve been asking from
Mother Nature.

b. If you’re already out driving in heavy rain and suddenly
you get stuck in floodwater, immediately stop and
remove the battery terminals, this will prevent an
electronic short.

c. STAY DRY! Most vehicles nowadays are designed to
have their integrated circuitry and modules located
under the carpet and alongside the front interior and
engine bay. Try your best to keep these areas dry and
free from inundation, it will make all the difference.

d. Immediately park your vehicle to higher grounds if you
hear that a storm or heavy rain is coming. Mall and
offices are always a good venue; it’s better to pay for
a parking ticket than to purchase a new car.

e. Don’t be lazy and pack emergency essentials!
Prepare an emergency bag and keep it in the back
seat of the vehicle so you would easily be able to
reach it: pack extra clothes, bring a trouble light, carry
water, light snacks and a jacket to last you through
the night just in case you get stuck.

… And since you have an emergency bag, also bring
one for your car. Always keep a TOOL BOX! Bring the
basics: #10 and #12 open wrench to be able to
remove battery terminals, a series cable in case you
need to jumpstart your car, pliers and long nose to
tighten or loosen screws. These tools will help you a
lot in time of need.

3. Get a Floody Carbag for your car! It will help protect
and save it from nasty floodwater.
Floody Carbag works like a zipper bag for your car to
protect it from the flood.
Park it then Bag it.

4. Save all important hotline numbers. being informed will help you from trouble

a. Your favorite radio station

b. Tow truck/ Roadside Assistance

5. If you are living in flood prone areas and you know
there’s a need to evacuate, do it immediately! Do not wait
until it’s too late or you might just regret it. Buy yourself
some time and keep yourself and your family safe.
Follow these kind reminders to keep you more at ease
when you vacate:

a. It is advisable to hang flat screen televisions on the
wall and mount home theater sets above or beside it.
If you have experienced flooding inside the house,
place it 1 to 2 feet higher from the highest point where
the floodwaters have reached.

b. If you have the budget, get your house renovated and
adjust the floor level higher. If, however, you’re
building a new home and you know that flood
exposure in your area is moderate to high, be cautious
and have it already elevated to avoid water getting
inside.

c. Keep battery operated radios, emergency lights and
emergency kits so that you will always be ready.
Remember, it’s better to be safe than sorry..

6.While your material possessions are important, you and
your family are even more so. Do not risk your lives in
attempting to save your properties.

7.Stay Calm & Be Alert. Panicking never helped anyone
and it may even cause you your life. Think clearly in times
of emergency so as not to cause more problems. Get out
of the distressed situation safely.

8.While it’s good that you are prepared now, you also
need to think ahead and get yourself insured. It’s always
better to be sure and safe. Get the right coverage against
catastrophes.

this one I learned from a mechanic is to disconnect your fan before entering a flooded road so your fan won't break and puncture your radiator, which can be expensive in this era of change.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things To Help You Avoid Car Damage In Flood And Rain by MTHBOSS(m): 7:24pm On Sep 06, 2016
Thanks.
Re: Things To Help You Avoid Car Damage In Flood And Rain by tahoe(m): 7:38pm On Sep 06, 2016
MTHBOSS:
Thanks.
stay safe
Re: Things To Help You Avoid Car Damage In Flood And Rain by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:12pm On Sep 06, 2016
all peugeot owners, remover your intake straws!!!! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Things To Help You Avoid Car Damage In Flood And Rain by kingreign(m): 8:45pm On Sep 06, 2016
GAZZUZZ:
all peugeot owners, remover your intake straws!!!! cheesy

Best advice of all.
Re: Things To Help You Avoid Car Damage In Flood And Rain by Whizpeter(m): 8:52pm On Sep 06, 2016
Don't drive at all!!! tongue
Re: Things To Help You Avoid Car Damage In Flood And Rain by Sharon6(f): 6:43am On Sep 08, 2016
Educative, informative and a nice read!

GIVE YOUR SKIN A TREAT, CHECK MY SIGNATURE!
Re: Things To Help You Avoid Car Damage In Flood And Rain by bluewles33: 6:44am On Sep 08, 2016
I don hear, anyway today is my birthday.. How many likes for me?

8 Likes

Re: Things To Help You Avoid Car Damage In Flood And Rain by izzou(m): 6:45am On Sep 08, 2016
If you are living in flood prone areas and you know
there’s a need to evacuate, do it immediately! Do not wait
until it’s too late or you might just regret it.

Nice write up until I sat that.
Re: Things To Help You Avoid Car Damage In Flood And Rain by moscobabs(m): 6:46am On Sep 08, 2016
When election comes vote the right person don't vote party please

op is it not relevant to the topic?

2 Likes

Re: Things To Help You Avoid Car Damage In Flood And Rain by MandingoXXX: 6:47am On Sep 08, 2016
If you hear say i hear>
Re: Things To Help You Avoid Car Damage In Flood And Rain by wordproof: 6:48am On Sep 08, 2016
I see!
Re: Things To Help You Avoid Car Damage In Flood And Rain by adioolayi(m): 6:48am On Sep 08, 2016
Thanks OP...if you are driving in Lagos..you will agree with me this week is really flooding week...almost everyday rain fall.
Re: Things To Help You Avoid Car Damage In Flood And Rain by englishmart(m): 6:49am On Sep 08, 2016
OK

1 Like

Re: Things To Help You Avoid Car Damage In Flood And Rain by mostyg(m): 6:52am On Sep 08, 2016
copied
Re: Things To Help You Avoid Car Damage In Flood And Rain by chrisxxx(m): 6:56am On Sep 08, 2016
Go about with chain. It could help you chain it to a tree so it doesn't wash away with flood.
Re: Things To Help You Avoid Car Damage In Flood And Rain by mhizAnnie(f): 7:06am On Sep 08, 2016
Very good write up op...thanks cool
Re: Things To Help You Avoid Car Damage In Flood And Rain by joebeckz(m): 7:12am On Sep 08, 2016
Last week Friday, I was avoiding a heavy traffic congestion along East West road @ Port Harcourt in the rain so I took an alternative route with no idea it was flooded. I reached a point where the water was covering the whole engine, the car almost gave up in the water but I never stopped firing to avoid water getting into the exhaust pipe cos if it did, the car would off and it's a bigger problem. I saw not less than 20 cars go off in the water. At the end, I succeeded in getting to the other side, just me and another guy using a Ford Ranger. What saved me was
1. If you must pass through a flood above knee level or waist level like I did, be sure to trust your car alternator and keep firing but not too fast to avoid water into ur exhaust.
2. be sure there are no leakages in your exhaust pipe anywhere under the car and be sure there are no wholes under the car else u would have a swimming pool in the car.
3. After passing through, do not turn off the car, the car would be slow to responding because a little water is still in the exhaust, do not fire too much, press and release gradually, u would see a white smoke coming out of the exhaust, until it stops then u are sure of no water inside.
4. Do not try passing if your car fan is rotating. Why I had no issue with the fan was because, it doesn't rotate at all except when necessary. That's how it was built.
5. Do not use the AC at all except u wanna destroy compressor and a whole lot.

Always stop and go round the car to check for falling bumper due to pressure of the water when it is a large one like the one I passed through.
It's better not to even pass to avoid all of the above. Have a great day.

3 Likes

Re: Things To Help You Avoid Car Damage In Flood And Rain by frugal(m): 7:14am On Sep 08, 2016
What type of flood are we talking about here?
Re: Things To Help You Avoid Car Damage In Flood And Rain by Emeka71(m): 7:17am On Sep 08, 2016
And you'll still see some people driving in the flood.
Re: Things To Help You Avoid Car Damage In Flood And Rain by Flexherbal(m): 7:23am On Sep 08, 2016
Good one!
Re: Things To Help You Avoid Car Damage In Flood And Rain by Nobody: 7:47am On Sep 08, 2016
How many motorist have rain boot ,drag rope,wedge in their car trunk?
Re: Things To Help You Avoid Car Damage In Flood And Rain by kingreign(m): 7:54am On Sep 08, 2016
joebeckz:
Last week Friday, I was avoiding a heavy traffic congestion along East West road @ Port Harcourt in the rain so I took an alternative route with no idea it was flooded. I reached a point where the water was covering the whole engine, the car almost gave up in the water but I never stopped firing to avoid water getting into the exhaust pipe cos if it did, the car would off and it's a bigger problem. I saw not less than 20 cars go off in the water. At the end, I succeeded in getting to the other side, just me and another guy using a Ford Ranger. What saved me was
1. If you must pass through a flood above knee level or waist level like I did, be sure to trust your car alternator and keep firing but not too fast to avoid water into ur exhaust.
2. be sure there are no leakages in your exhaust pipe anywhere under the car and be sure there are no wholes under the car else u would have a swimming pool in the car.
3. After passing through, do not turn off the car, the car would be slow to responding because a little water is still in the exhaust, do not fire too much, press and release gradually, u would see a white smoke coming out of the exhaust, until it stops then u are sure of no water inside.
4. Do not try passing if your car fan is rotating. Why I had no issue with the fan was because, it doesn't rotate at all except when necessary. That's how it was built.
5. Do not use the AC at all except u wanna destroy compressor and a whole lot.

Always stop and go round the car to check for falling bumper due to pressure of the water when it is a large one like the one I passed through.
It's better not to even pass to avoid all of the above. Have a great day.

You need to be grateful the water didn't enter into the engine and cause hydro lock of the engine.
Re: Things To Help You Avoid Car Damage In Flood And Rain by opalu: 7:54am On Sep 08, 2016
One of my vehicles has been tyre deep in the rains for long. I gat get it our asap
Re: Things To Help You Avoid Car Damage In Flood And Rain by Kx: 7:57am On Sep 08, 2016
Is this for Nigeria or the advanced world

Are there no better and more precise local prescriptions than this oyibo styled advice?
Re: Things To Help You Avoid Car Damage In Flood And Rain by tahoe(m): 8:06am On Sep 08, 2016
.car bag

Re: Things To Help You Avoid Car Damage In Flood And Rain by madapcmod: 8:10am On Sep 08, 2016
This is not applicable to naija flooded streets especially the one we swim daily in Benin.

When I came here, I drowned my car thrice in akamu thick red mud flood that is common here. So I have to go ask the AUDI taxi drivers how they manoeuvre the flooded rds.

Was told not to fire as I enter d flood, gently roll d car into the flood then tap ur accelerator small small till u wade out of d flood. Once u fire it, the radiator fan will splash water to d coils and alternator and the car will off there in. This technique has been helping me though my engine is now brown in colour courtesy of Benin flood. Will wait till dry season to steam wash it.
Re: Things To Help You Avoid Car Damage In Flood And Rain by konkacid: 8:32am On Sep 08, 2016
Most of the tips sound foreign.
Re: Things To Help You Avoid Car Damage In Flood And Rain by rockyh(m): 9:44am On Sep 08, 2016
bluewles33:
I don hear, anyway today is my birthday.. How many likes for me?
best of celebration n may ur success be like never been heard kind of success
Re: Things To Help You Avoid Car Damage In Flood And Rain by professore(m): 1:43pm On Sep 08, 2016
I think 1 and 2 are more important

(1) (Reply)

Watch Laser-equipped BMW M2 Competition Pop 79 Balloons In 60 Seconds / 2 BRT Buses Vandalized At Berger Bus-stop / 5 Benefits Of Third Party Motor Insurance You Need To Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.