Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,784 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:51 PM

English Words You Have Been Using Wrongly As A Nigerian!!! - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / English Words You Have Been Using Wrongly As A Nigerian!!! (41004 Views)

Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? / 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know / Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: English Words You Have Been Using Wrongly As A Nigerian!!! by Encoreunltd(m): 5:00pm On Jul 26, 2018
Not all Americans speak perfect America-English but they understand themselves. Not all English men speak perfect English but they understand themselves. But all Nigerians that speak pidgin understands themselves that is the idea of communication. It is the beginning of craze if you expect a Frenchman or a Russian to speak perfect English.
Re: English Words You Have Been Using Wrongly As A Nigerian!!! by Gmajor(m): 6:45pm On Jul 26, 2018
Gratefulheart1:
POINT OF CORRECTION HERE BEFORE YOU START TO MISLEAD THE SHEPPLE. YOU NEED TO MAKE FINDINGS BEFORE POSTING SOMETHING LIKE THIS. YOU'RE TRYING TO CORRECT OTHERS WHEN 90% OF YOUR CORRECTION IS WRONG. ALMOST ALL ENGLISH WORDS HAVE MORE THAN ONE MEANING.
THE ONLY ONES YOU'RE RIGHT ABOUT ARE GO-SLOW AND FLASH, BUT THOSE ARE EVEN PIGIN/NIGERIAN-ENGLISH WORDS, NOBODY SAID THE WAY WE USE THEM IN NAIJA, IS THE CORRECT DICTIONARY MEANING; WE ONLY CUSTOMISED THOSE WORDS FOR OURSELVES.

THEN NOBODY USES TROUBLESHOOTER TO MEAN 'CAUSE TROUBLE', THE WORD I HEAR PEOPLE USE IS 'TROUBLEMAKER'

OGA TEACHER OP, ALWAYS MAKE FINDINGS BEFORE CONFUSING YOURSELF AND OTHERS
Check your dictionary, the Nigerian use of the world "flash" is correct.
Re: English Words You Have Been Using Wrongly As A Nigerian!!! by brightpeters4(m): 6:58pm On Jul 26, 2018
Please for our own good

What is the need for communication if the person you are talking to is not understanding you?

The other day, I call someone from mental health, and they were speaking Queens English to the core. As a nigerian still trying to learn and on my airtime so I decided to hang the call cause I can understand just about 40% of what he was saying.

At the end of everything the problem was not solved cos of lack of understanding. So what was the value of queens english there? Absolute nothing.

See, when you go to America you will learn American english and see that it is different from british english, different from the Philippines' different for the Australian english, are they all not colonised by Britain directly or indirectly? Why won't they all speak queens english.

See, bro forget that thing, if I tell you say I sell market today, just know say today business go well. If I call you a trouble makers, just know say you sabi find trouble well well. And if I tell you say Go-slow dey too much just know say road no clear.

Mind you they already have "South African" english. So it will not be bad to have Nigerian english.

I rest my case. Abeg if you wan mention me just know say I no go reply you. You for OYO
Re: English Words You Have Been Using Wrongly As A Nigerian!!! by Dalighted(m): 8:33pm On Jul 26, 2018
Nice piece
Re: English Words You Have Been Using Wrongly As A Nigerian!!! by phemmyfour: 8:43pm On Jul 26, 2018
omamush:
correct
you look homely
Re: English Words You Have Been Using Wrongly As A Nigerian!!! by omamush(f): 10:55pm On Jul 26, 2018
phemmyfour:
you look homely
well, that's farfetched
Re: English Words You Have Been Using Wrongly As A Nigerian!!! by daddyfreeman1(m): 11:12pm On Jul 26, 2018
mr poster you really tried,but some of your corrections are also wrong
Re: English Words You Have Been Using Wrongly As A Nigerian!!! by Bantino(m): 11:57pm On Jul 26, 2018
MrCork:

^^see the homebase boy...boy do u relice u talking to a Londoner? (Shake my head ) undecided

Proudly Nigerian
Re: English Words You Have Been Using Wrongly As A Nigerian!!! by Yoighaman(m): 11:58am On Jul 27, 2018
This is one of the best articles I have every read on NL. I particularly like the lesson learnt from using the word 'homely' wrongfully.....lol...'wrongly' I meant....hope I've been able to teach something also, just like I just learnt... smiley

Thanks for sharing.
Re: English Words You Have Been Using Wrongly As A Nigerian!!! by dkc(m): 2:53pm On Jul 27, 2018
Nice piece
Re: English Words You Have Been Using Wrongly As A Nigerian!!! by Nobody: 8:53pm On Jul 27, 2018
MrCork:

...sorry we can't relate....we Spek queens English in london! ! (No ofeense ) angry
Learn to perfect your use of English. Things are evolving hence you have to follow the trend
Re: English Words You Have Been Using Wrongly As A Nigerian!!! by MrCork: 9:17pm On Jul 27, 2018
asuustrike2009:

Learn to perfect your use of English. Things are evolving hence you have to follow the trend

..we Spek queens English hear in london. ..u Spek pigeon english there in nigeria..I BEGGGGY! ! undecided

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: English Words You Have Been Using Wrongly As A Nigerian!!! by Nobody: 10:02pm On Jul 27, 2018
MrCork:

..we Spek queens English hear in london. ..u Spek pigeon english there in nigeria..I BEGGGGY! ! undecided
You would understand better when you are in the corporate world
Re: English Words You Have Been Using Wrongly As A Nigerian!!! by kaycee125: 10:22pm On Aug 23, 2018
Nice dp
MrCork:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Can NECO And WAEC Results Be Combined For Admission? / Unilag Gate Shut Down By Students Over Infestation Of Bedbugs.*pics / 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.