Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,112 members, 7,835,753 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:23 PM

With Biafran Independence,biafrans Will Be Able To Live Anywhere In Nigeria - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / With Biafran Independence,biafrans Will Be Able To Live Anywhere In Nigeria (1538 Views)

Orsu LGA Secretariat Gate In Imo Painted With Biafran Colour (Video) / "We Are Fighting Boko Haram With Biafran Weapons Surrendered After The War" / Proscribed IPOB Members Storm Church With Biafran Flags In Enugu (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: With Biafran Independence,biafrans Will Be Able To Live Anywhere In Nigeria by phase1: 3:13pm On Jul 26, 2018
gidgiddy:

Citizenship by birth cannot be revoked. It says so in section 28:
Subject to the other provisions of this section, a person shall forfeit forthwith his Nigerian citizenship if, not being a citizen of Nigeria by birth, he acquires or retains the citizenship or nationality of a country, other than Nigeria, of which he is not a citizen by birth.

Therefore, the Biafran can hold dual citizenship. In fact, the power to deny citizenship is taken away from the Presidency in section 30:

30. (1) The President may deprive a person, other than a person who is a citizen of Nigeria by birth or by registration, of his citizenship, if he is satisfied that such a person has, within a period of seven years after becoming naturalised, been sentenced to imprisonment for a term of not less than three years.

(2) The President shall deprive a person, other than a person who is citizen of Nigeria by birth, of his citizenship, if he is satisfied from the records of proceedings of a court of law or other tribunal or after due inquiry in accordance with regulations made by him, that 

It is impossible to take away the Nigerian citizenship of a Biafran because they all possess citizenship by birth

Whether they can live anywhere is not the debate. Biafra should be restored first. If the Oduduwan or Arewans asks Biafrans to leave after restoration, I don't see why that should be your problem. It is their land.

It should help our resolve to even build Biafra with vengeance just the Jewish Zionist did. Stop ridiculing Biafrans Mr OP.

1 Like

Re: With Biafran Independence,biafrans Will Be Able To Live Anywhere In Nigeria by potoX: 8:47pm On Jul 26, 2018
AZeD1:

It does.
1) Citizenship can be revoked
2) The constitution can be changed to disallow dual citizenship. So the moment you become a Biafran you automatically loose your Nigerian citizenship.

You are free to continue your campaign for Biafra but this theory you are pushing won't fly.
Why are you arguing with that slowpoke?

2 Likes

Re: With Biafran Independence,biafrans Will Be Able To Live Anywhere In Nigeria by LaudableXX: 1:09am On Jul 27, 2018
gidgiddy:
I'm here today to burst this myth which many Nigerians have that should Igbos and some other tribes in the south of Nigeria become independent as Biafra, they will lose their right to live in Nigeria. Some even said that there will be mass deportation of Biafrans back to their home land and that the government will have the right to seize their properties and assets.

None of these things will be possible because all Biafrans will have 'retained rights of Nigerian citizenship'

In layman's terms, all the Biafrans will still hold Nigerian citizenship despite being Biafrans and a Nigerian cannot be deported from Nigeria. The constitution gives 4 ways by which an individual can become a Nigerian citizen.

1) By Birth: Anyone born after October 1st 1960 in any territory of Nigeria automatically becomes a citizen

2)Parentage: Anyone who has either parents or Grand-parents are Nigerians or who's either parents or Grand-parents were born in any Nigerian territory, before or after October 1st 1960 is a citizen.

The other two ways of being a Nigerian citizen is by registration and naturalization but these are not as important as the first two. The Nigerian constitution also states that the only way a person can renounce their Nigerian citizenship is for them to apply directly to the President of Nigeria, and only if the President agrees.

It is virtually Impossible to enact a law that will retroactively strip people of their right of citizenship by birth or parentage. If this is done, not even Buhari will be able to prove he is a citizen of Nigeria.

So please, in the event that Biafra becomes independent, all Biafrans will still hold Nigerian citizenship, as stated by the constitution of Nigeria, and live anywhere in Nigeria they like.

You people are the greatest jokers that ever liveth. cheesy You want Biafra, but you do not want to leave Nigeria?? I laugh in my native dialect. grin So you think if Biafra is formed today, Nigeria cannot ammend its constitution to exclude Biafrans from claiming Nigerian citizenship? You chaps are highly deluded! shocked

AZeD1:
It does.
1) Citizenship can be revoked
2) The constitution can be changed to disallow dual citizenship.
So the moment you become a Biafran you automatically loose your Nigerian citizenship.

You are free to continue your campaign for Biafra but this theory you are pushing won't fly.
raumdeuter:
Go and ask Bosnians or Croats if they can claim to be citizens of Serbia again

Or go and ask citizens of Ukraine, Latvia, Uzbekistan if they can claim to be Russians again

A little education is all you need

The moment you secede, you have a limited time to relocate to your region or else become an illegal and are removable by customs and immigration.

To step in any part, you will need a visa

Abeg, make una help me tell am. I no know say una sef don see di same thing, wey I see. cool

2 Likes

Re: With Biafran Independence,biafrans Will Be Able To Live Anywhere In Nigeria by IslamicRebel: 1:32am On Jul 27, 2018
potoX:
Utter rubbish! This topic was thoroughly thrashed last year on this forum and the consensus opinion is that if this scenario ever plays out, you Biafrans will not only lose your rights as Nigerian citizens but you will immediately be deported enmass and your properties siezed. So stay there and be typing trash and think we will treat you fairly after breaking up our country. Go and cry to the UN like those Muslims kicked out of Burma did

Foolish Afonja demon.
Re: With Biafran Independence,biafrans Will Be Able To Live Anywhere In Nigeria by gidgiddy: 6:44am On Jul 27, 2018
LaudableXX:

You people are the greatest jokers that ever liveth. cheesy You want Biafra, but you do not want to leave Nigeria?? I laugh in my native dialect. grin So you think if Biafra is formed today, Nigeria cannot ammend its constitution to exclude Biafrans from claiming Nigerian citizenship? You chaps are highly deluded! shocked

Abeg, make una help me tell am. I no know say una sef don see di same thing, wey I see. cool

This has nothing to do with staying in Nigeria after Biafra, this is about bursting the age old myth that Biafrans will have no right to stay in Nigeria. Citizenship by birth/parentage cannot be revoked, it is the only reason why you are a Nigerian. It cannot be removed for the Biafrans either.

This is why many Eritreans still use Ethiopian passports despite Eritrea leaving Ethiopia more than 20 years ago.

Citizenship by birth cannot be revoked
Re: With Biafran Independence,biafrans Will Be Able To Live Anywhere In Nigeria by BabaRamota1980: 6:54am On Jul 27, 2018
Why una dey fear now? Who say youno fit live anywhere u like?
Re: With Biafran Independence,biafrans Will Be Able To Live Anywhere In Nigeria by Northernkid: 6:56am On Jul 27, 2018
gidgiddy:
I'm here today to burst this myth which many Nigerians have that should Igbos and some other tribes in the south of Nigeria become independent as Biafra, they will lose their right to live in Nigeria. Some even said that there will be mass deportation of Biafrans back to their home land and that the government will have the right to seize their properties and assets.

None of these things will be possible because all Biafrans will have 'retained rights of Nigerian citizenship'

In layman's terms, all the Biafrans will still hold Nigerian citizenship despite being Biafrans and a Nigerian cannot be deported from Nigeria. The constitution gives 4 ways by which an individual can become a Nigerian citizen. tongue cool

1) By Birth: Anyone born after October 1st 1960 in any territory of Nigeria automatically becomes a citizen

2)Parentage: Anyone who has either parents or Grand-parents are Nigerians or who's either parents or Grand-parents were born in any Nigerian territory, before or after October 1st 1960 is a citizen.

The other two ways of being a Nigerian citizen is by registration and naturalization but these are not as important as the first two. The Nigerian constitution also states that the only way a person can renounce their Nigerian citizenship is for them to apply directly to the President of Nigeria, and only if the President agrees.

It is virtually Impossible to enact a law that will retroactively strip people of their right of citizenship by birth or parentage. If this is done, not even Buhari will be able to prove he is a citizen of Nigeria.

So please, in the event that Biafra becomes independent, all Biafrans will still hold Nigerian citizenship, as stated by the constitution of Nigeria, and live anywhere in Nigeria they like.
Re: With Biafran Independence,biafrans Will Be Able To Live Anywhere In Nigeria by justtoodark: 7:57am On Jul 27, 2018
gidgiddy:

This has nothing to do with staying in Nigeria after Biafra, this is about bursting the age old myth that Biafrans will have no right to stay in Nigeria. Citizenship by birth/parentage cannot be revoked, it is the only reason why you are a Nigerian. It cannot be removed for the Biafrans either.

This is why many Eritreans still use Ethiopian passports despite Eritrea leaving Ethiopia more than 20 years ago.

you are not up to date...britain just revoked theirs some weeks ago....

and why they hell do you want to still stay in nigeria....??...a country that you hate....for what....?

1 Like

Re: With Biafran Independence,biafrans Will Be Able To Live Anywhere In Nigeria by gidgiddy: 8:32am On Jul 27, 2018
justtoodark:

you are not up to date...britain just revoked theirs some weeks ago....

and why they hell do you want to still stay in nigeria....??...a country that you hate....for what....?

Let me put it this way so that your brain can understand. There are many Nigerians in many countries they do not like from Russia to Quatar to Colombia. Some are there for education, business, pleasure etc. It is not a must that you must like or love a country to be in that country. There are many West Africans in Nigeria who don't like Nigeria but they have a purpose they are aiming for which if they achieve, they leave. Their are foreigners I know who hate being in Nigeria, they think this place is "Boko Haram and killer herdsmen" country. They do not feel safe being here but they stay because their work is too important.

You don't have to love Nigeria to be in Nigeria
Re: With Biafran Independence,biafrans Will Be Able To Live Anywhere In Nigeria by justtoodark: 9:12am On Jul 27, 2018
gidgiddy:

Let me put it this way so that your brain can understand. There are many Nigerians in many countries they do not like from Russia to Quatar to Colombia. Some are there for education, business, pleasure etc. It is not a must that you must like or love a country to be in that country. There are many West Africans in Nigeria who don't like Nigeria but they have a purpose they are aiming for which if they achieve, they leave. Their are foreigners I know who hate being in Nigeria, they think this place is "Boko Haram and killer herdsmen" country. They do not feel safe being here but they stay because their work is too important.

You don't have to love Nigeria to be in Nigeria

you are wrong...when you openly say you dont like a country and its people,this people will tell you to leave their country...

they dont care how bad their country is,they will tell you to leave....

britain realy revoked that birth nonesense...it was in the news....it seems you heard of the news too....but you didnt bother to mention it on this thread....

the world is changing....nobody likes nobody....

1 Like

Re: With Biafran Independence,biafrans Will Be Able To Live Anywhere In Nigeria by KanuIsCursed: 9:51am On Jul 27, 2018
we wawa Jew must die in Nigeria after we actualise awa Biafra chuku abiamba okele Eba oooooo gringringrin

1 Like

Re: With Biafran Independence,biafrans Will Be Able To Live Anywhere In Nigeria by LaudableXX: 2:12pm On Jul 28, 2018
gidgiddy:

You are a joker of gargantuan proportions. You want to create your own country by breaking away from Nigeria, yet you still want to retain Nigerian citizenship? shocked I laugh in my native dialect.... cheesy
What holds for Eriteria does not hold for other countries. Citizens of Ukraine cannot lay claim to Russian citizenship, even if they were born in Russia. Do not allow long throat to kill you.... grin
Re: With Biafran Independence,biafrans Will Be Able To Live Anywhere In Nigeria by Midastorch(m): 2:27pm On Jul 28, 2018
Herdsmen:
At the mention of Biafra a whole shitty tribe will convulse with BP ..

Loyal slaves hate freedom.. freedom and independent..is alien and most scaring to this set of humans..

Slaves they are..and slaves they remain for life..

Is a generational thing.

Viva Biafra..

It's pathetic that all these derogatory words you are using apply mostly to the igbos... We have never had an igbo president since 1999 and this is hurts you guys so badly...its only a slave that pleads for independence ....th real slaves in the present Nigeria are the igbos..

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kogi By-Election; Former Senator Attacked By Crowd At Polling Unit. Photos / TB Joshua WARNS Government Over Re-run Elections!!! / Shocker: Watch As UK Soldiers Sing The Nigerian National Anthem In Style

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.