Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,946 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:16 AM

Do You Know Port Harcourt Was Named After A Sex Predator? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do You Know Port Harcourt Was Named After A Sex Predator? (3481 Views)

El-Rufai: Buhari Was Shocked When Lawan Was Named APC Anointed Candidate (Video) / Yobe North: Machina Vows To Seek Legal Redress After Lawan Was Named As Candidat / Jonathan Visits Buhari — 3 Days After Railway Complex Was Named After Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Know Port Harcourt Was Named After A Sex Predator? by balash(m): 10:15am On Jul 26, 2018
Port Harcourt (Ikwerre: Ígúọ́cha;[12][13][14] Pidgin: Po-ta-kot[3][Note 1]) is the capital and largest city of Rivers State, Nigeria. It lies along the Bonny River and is located in the Niger Delta. As of 2016, the Port Harcourt urban area has an estimated population of 1,865,000 inhabitants, up from 1,382,592 as of 2006.[15][9]

The area that became Port Harcourt in 1912 was before that part of the farmlands of the Diobu village group of the Ikwerre, an Igbo sub-group .[16] The colonial administration of Nigeria created the port to export coal from the collieries of Enugu located 243 kilometres (151 mi) north of Port Harcourt,[17] to which it was linked by a railway called the Eastern Line, also built by the British.[2][17][18]

In 1956 crude oil was discovered in commercial quantities at Oloibiri, and Port Harcourt's economy turned to petroleum when the first shipment of Nigerian crude oil was exported through the city in 1958. Through the benefits of the Nigerian petroleum industry, Port Harcourt was further developed, with aspects of modernization such as overpasses, city blocks, taller and more substantial buildings.[3] Oil firms that currently have offices in the city include Royal Dutch Shell and Chevron.[19]

There are a number of institutions of tertiary education in Port Harcourt, mostly government-owned. These institutions include, Rivers State University, University of Port Harcourt, Port Harcourt Polytechnic, Ignatius Ajuru University and Rivers State College of Health Science and Technology. The current Mayor is Soni Sam Ejekwu. Port Harcourt's primary airport is Port Harcourt International Airport, located on the outskirts of the city; the NAF base is the location of the only other airport and is used by commercial airlines Aero Contractors and Air Nigeria) for domestic flights.[20]

The port was built in 1912, but not given a name until August 1913, when the then Governor of Nigeria, Sir Frederick Lugard, named it "Port Harcourt" in honor of Lewis Vernon Harcourt, then the Secretary of State for the Colonies.[14] The Ikwerre name for the city is Iguocha, which is loaned from the Igbo word "Ụ́gwụ́ Ọ́chá".[14][not in citation given]

Lewis Vernon Harcourt, 1st Viscount Harcourt, PC (born Reginald Vernon Harcourt; 31 January 1863 – 24 February 1922) was a British Liberal Party politician who held the Cabinet post of Secretary of State for the Colonies from 1910 to 1915. Lord Harcourt's nickname was "Loulou".

Harcourt was known as a sexual predator attracted to both sexes. He attempted to rape Dorothy Brett, the daughter of Lord Esher and then attempted to seduce his son. Dorothy Brett wrote of him that "it is so tiresome that Loulou is such an old roué. He is as bad with boys as with girls... he is simply a sex maniac. It isn't that he is in love. It is just ungovernable Sex desire for both sexes". His criminal perversion was known and tolerated in certain private quarters. When later, however, he attempted to rape a 12-year-old boy, Edward James, who grew up to become a great collector of surrealist and other contemporary art, the boy's mother began making the matter public.[8]

Faced with public exposure, Harcourt committed suicide by taking an overdose of a sedative[9] at his London home in Brook Street on 24 February 1922, aged 59.[8]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Harcourt,_1st_Viscount_Harcourt
Re: Do You Know Port Harcourt Was Named After A Sex Predator? by sweetonugbu: 10:20am On Jul 26, 2018
wao
Re: Do You Know Port Harcourt Was Named After A Sex Predator? by Heartbender: 10:44am On Jul 26, 2018
Stop misleading the public. I am from Port Harcourt and not Diobu or Ikwerre. Stop using tramadol and other illicit drugs

4 Likes

Re: Do You Know Port Harcourt Was Named After A Sex Predator? by Ejorchris: 11:03am On Jul 26, 2018
haters always jump over any threads that goes against their selfish interest, thanks for the story op.

1 Like

Re: Do You Know Port Harcourt Was Named After A Sex Predator? by RobbStark(m): 11:06am On Jul 26, 2018
BMC, trying hard to distract Nigerians from failures of their leader in Aso Rock.

PH is not named after a sex predator

Liar Mohammed.

1 Like

Re: Do You Know Port Harcourt Was Named After A Sex Predator? by balash(m): 4:21pm On Jul 26, 2018
Heartbender:
Stop misleading the public. I am from Port Harcourt and not Diobu or Ikwerre. Stop using tramadol and other illicit drugs

What is doing you people us bigger than me, You kuku know pass wikipedia so am not surprised

1 Like

Re: Do You Know Port Harcourt Was Named After A Sex Predator? by Shukuakukobambi: 4:39pm On Jul 26, 2018
balash:

What is doing you people us bigger than me, You kuku know pass wikipedia so am not surprised

And so? How does your 'expose' help PH in its developmental strides?
Re: Do You Know Port Harcourt Was Named After A Sex Predator? by balash(m): 4:43pm On Jul 26, 2018
Shukuakukobambi:

And so? How does your 'expose' help PH in its developmental strides?

Your problem is bigger than Nairaland thread.. Do the needful...Scraaaaaaaaaaaam

3 Likes

Re: Do You Know Port Harcourt Was Named After A Sex Predator? by Shukuakukobambi: 4:52pm On Jul 26, 2018
balash:

Your problem is bigger than Nairaland thread.. Do the needful...Scraaaaaaaaaaaam

Thank you. Now tell us the relevance of your 'breaking news'' to the development and good of PH? Or its just another self-service fest for you and your fellows?
Re: Do You Know Port Harcourt Was Named After A Sex Predator? by Sapiosexuality(m): 5:32pm On Jul 26, 2018
Heartbender:
He's right. Lord Harcourt was an overstretched asshole.

1 Like

Re: Do You Know Port Harcourt Was Named After A Sex Predator? by Sapiosexuality(m): 5:34pm On Jul 26, 2018
Shukuakukobambi:

Thank you. Now tell us the relevance of your 'breaking news'' to the development and good of PH? Or its just another self-service fest for you and your fellows?
It helps the mental and spiritual, I don't mean religion, development of a people. It is like asking the relevance of truth to a people.
Re: Do You Know Port Harcourt Was Named After A Sex Predator? by Shukuakukobambi: 6:30pm On Jul 26, 2018
Sapiosexuality:
It helps the mental and spiritual, I don't mean religion, development of a people. It is like asking the relevance of truth to a people.

What will this truth do to the people of PH is what you and the op have still not come up with. I know some are wont to ascribe some esoteric, ecclesiastical or spiritual significance to things like this but the op has been deficient in this regard. Or is there a political significance? Perhaps it's the reason for the moral decadence of PH (other cities are equally morally decadent)?

What is the significance of this 'truth' to PH? It's a simple ask really
Re: Do You Know Port Harcourt Was Named After A Sex Predator? by Sapiosexuality(m): 8:19pm On Jul 26, 2018
Shukuakukobambi:

What will this truth do to the people of PH is what you and the op have still not come up with. I know some are wont to ascribe some esoteric, ecclesiastical or spiritual significance to things like this but the op has been deficient in this regard. Or is there a political significance? Perhaps it's the reason for the moral decadence of PH (other cities are equally morally decadent)?

Would you name your daughter after the rapist that raped your wife?
Re: Do You Know Port Harcourt Was Named After A Sex Predator? by Shukuakukobambi: 8:39pm On Jul 26, 2018
Sapiosexuality:
Would you name your daughter after the rapist that raped your wife?

Would you rename your 100year old grand dad because the rapist who raped your wife happened to share names with him?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Know Port Harcourt Was Named After A Sex Predator? by Heartbender: 9:28pm On Jul 26, 2018
But if you read his post and my comment you'd realise my point. Safe journey
Sapiosexuality:
He's right. Lord Harcourt was an overstretched asshole.
Re: Do You Know Port Harcourt Was Named After A Sex Predator? by pyxon(m): 9:41pm On Jul 26, 2018
Shukuakukobambi:

What is worrying port Harcourt is what is worrying most slay queens. They give you nice meaningful. native name from home, you change your name to a foreign name with a twisted history just because it sounds nice
Re: Do You Know Port Harcourt Was Named After A Sex Predator? by Nobody: 9:44pm On Jul 26, 2018
Senseless British colonialists...no wonder Nigeria is a failed experiment.
Check my signature.
Re: Do You Know Port Harcourt Was Named After A Sex Predator? by SheikhMuniru(m): 10:29pm On Jul 26, 2018
NO WONDER PORT HARCOURT BAE LOVE SEX LIKE MAD
Re: Do You Know Port Harcourt Was Named After A Sex Predator? by Sapiosexuality(m): 6:52am On Jul 27, 2018
Shukuakukobambi:

Would you rename your 100year old grand dad because the rapist who raped your wife happened to share names with him?
No, if they SHARE names. But would you purposely immortalize the rapist who raped your wife?
Re: Do You Know Port Harcourt Was Named After A Sex Predator? by Sapiosexuality(m): 6:53am On Jul 27, 2018
Heartbender:
But if you read his post and my comment you'd realise my point. Safe journey
What point? How will a man ruin a city and still be immortalized in the same city? Would a sensible person do that? Isn't that what slaves do?
Re: Do You Know Port Harcourt Was Named After A Sex Predator? by Shukuakukobambi: 6:55am On Jul 27, 2018
Sapiosexuality:
No, if they SHARE names. But would you purposely immortalize the rapist who raped your wife?

Good. I wouldn't.

Now how did Mr Harcourt rape your wife and how did you immortalize him in this context?
Re: Do You Know Port Harcourt Was Named After A Sex Predator? by Sapiosexuality(m): 6:59am On Jul 27, 2018
Shukuakukobambi:

Good. I wouldn't.

Now how did Mr Harcourt rape your wife and how did you immortalize him in this context?
Asking how colonial masters raped Africa? Not only did Lord Harcourt ruin the city by destroying the mental and historical architecture of the people, he was recorded to have engaged in rapping black women around? Is that good enough for you?

1 Like

Re: Do You Know Port Harcourt Was Named After A Sex Predator? by Shukuakukobambi: 7:04am On Jul 27, 2018
Sapiosexuality:
Not only did Lord Harcourt ruined the city by destroying the mental and historical architecture of the people, he was recorded to have engaged in rapping black women around? Is that good enough for you?

Every colonialist including their missionaries ruined the mental and historical architecture of every nation they colonised and we have their memory immortalized all over the African continent, don't single out Harcourt.

Provide evidence for the bold portion and I'll keep quiet

1 Like

Re: Do You Know Port Harcourt Was Named After A Sex Predator? by Sapiosexuality(m): 7:15am On Jul 27, 2018
Shukuakukobambi:

Every colonialist including their missionaries ruined the mental and historical architecture of every nation they colonised and we have their memory immortalized all over the African continent, don't single out Harcourt.

Provide evidence for the bold portion and I'll keep quiet
Lol. At first you questioned the relevance of the truth. You then agreed that it is unwise to that. Now you agree they all raped Africa but you seem to hold that a proof of the actual raping of our women is the only thing capable of striping Lord Harcourt of his status.

You should Forsythe and others I can't provide you that. Do you think the men who ruined Africa(outside the fact almost all were serial rapists), the men who destroyed our history and writings, deserve respect and immortalization for doing what they did?

In Owerri, we've got Douglas House. Do you consider the immortalization of demons a good thing? These men ruined our fathers psyche and planted inferiority complex in us but we make them live forever? Can the Twin Towers of the World Trade Centre be named after Osama?

2 Likes

Re: Do You Know Port Harcourt Was Named After A Sex Predator? by Shukuakukobambi: 7:28am On Jul 27, 2018
Sapiosexuality:
Lol. At first you questioned the relevance of the truth. You then agreed that it is unwise to that. Now you agree they all raped Africa but you seem to hold that a proof of the actual raping of our women is the only thing capable of striping Lord Harcourt of his status.

You should Forsythe and others I can't provide you that. Do you think the men who ruined Africa(outside the fact almost all were serial rapists), the men who destroyed our history and writings, deserve respect and immortalization for doing what they did?

In Owerri, we've got Douglas House. Do you consider the immortalization of demons a good thing? These men ruined our fathers psyche and planted inferiority complex in us but we make them live forever? Can the Twin Towers of the World Trade Centre be named after Osama?

You're getting worked up and I wonder why? Where in the op that started this discussion was it remotely alleged that Harcourt raped PH women? What specific thing did Harcourt do that lugard or McPherson didn't do to Nigeria as a whole? Should we go on a renaming spree in Nigeria?

Once again, what is the relevance of this 'truth' to the developmental strides of PH? Is it the reason why Amaechi and Wike are spilling blood there?
Re: Do You Know Port Harcourt Was Named After A Sex Predator? by Sapiosexuality(m): 7:44am On Jul 27, 2018
Shukuakukobambi:

You're getting worked up and I wonder why? Where in the op that started this discussion was it remotely alleged that Harcourt raped PH women? What specific thing did Harcourt do that lugard or McPherson didn't do to Nigeria as a whole? Should we go on a renaming spree in Nigeria?

Once again, what is the relevance of this 'truth' to the developmental strides of PH? Is it the reason why Amaechi and Wike are spilling blood there?
Wow! Wow! The relevance of truth to development? Wow! For the sake of young people reading I will tell you.

First thing...evil can never be justified. The blood spill in Wike's, Amechi's, Lugard's, etc, time is evil and one can't be good or justified because the other is similar.

The relevance shapes our people. 1. We know our history and knowing history involve studying the mechanisms that allowed it. If we teach it well in schools and streets we'd prevent recreating the environment that permitted it. 2. Bad people are not to be rewarded. This is probably where our politicians like Wike and Amaechi got inspiration. A city or state or republic that immortalizes assholes will only encourage the making of more assholes. 3. It restores latent power to full power. If people knew we once had writing systems, etc., they wouldn't blame their black skin for their state today. If people knew the quality of the art and artifacts men like Lord Harcourt destroyed, they'd know the quality of the mind that created it and will start inwards again.

Does this make any sense to you?

1 Like

Re: Do You Know Port Harcourt Was Named After A Sex Predator? by Shukuakukobambi: 8:06am On Jul 27, 2018
Sapiosexuality:
Wow! Wow! The relevance of truth to development? Wow! For the sake of young people reading I will tell you.

First thing...evil can never be justified. The blood spill in Wike's, Amechi's, Lugard's, etc, time is evil and one can't be good or justified because the other is similar.

The relevance shapes our people. 1. We know our history and knowing history involve studying the mechanisms that allowed it. If we teach it well in schools and streets we'd prevent recreating the environment that permitted it. 2. Bad people are not to be rewarded. This is probably where our politicians like Wike and Amaechi got inspiration. A city or state or republic that immortalizes assholes will only encourage the making of more assholes. 3. It restores latent power to full power. If people knew we once had writing systems, etc., they wouldn't blame their black skin for their state today. If people knew the quality of the art and artifacts men like Lord Harcourt destroyed, they'd know the quality of the mind that created it and will start inwards again.

Does this make any sense to you?

Do you hold his same anger, you have for Harcourt, for the missionaries who raped you mentally with their Jewish, Christian or Arabic myths as the case may be? Evil can never be justified and selective angst must never be justified too.

You would be justified to direct your anger to every Britons who came to this geographical space with their foreign ideas, lumped us together without our consent and proceeded to reconfigure our mental, spiritual and historical architecture and we've immortalised them all.

Harcourt is just a tiny speck in the swamp of foreign criminals who participated in this crime and they're all arseholes. Harcourt didn't do anything different from what they all did.
Re: Do You Know Port Harcourt Was Named After A Sex Predator? by Sapiosexuality(m): 8:34am On Jul 27, 2018
Shukuakukobambi:

Do you hold his same anger, you have for Harcourt, for the missionaries who raped you mentally with their Jewish, Christian or Arabic myths as the case may be? Evil can never be justified and selective angst must never be justified too.

You would be justified to direct your anger to every Britons who came to this geographical space with their foreign ideas, lumped us together without our consent and proceeded to reconfigure our mental, spiritual and historical architecture and we've immortalised them all.

Harcourt is just a tiny speck in the swamp of foreign criminals who participated in this crime and they're all arseholes. Harcourt didn't do anything different from what they all did.
Mine is whole and not selective. I'm not religious or even atheistic. Yeah he didn't do anything differently but the bottom line is, neither he nor any of those 'explorers' should be immortalize. If we didn't become foolish, we wouldn't have immortalized them.
Re: Do You Know Port Harcourt Was Named After A Sex Predator? by Heartbender: 11:19am On Jul 27, 2018
You still haven't got my point
Sapiosexuality:
What point? How will a man ruin a city and still be immortalized in the same city? Would a sensible person do that? Isn't that what slaves do?
Re: Do You Know Port Harcourt Was Named After A Sex Predator? by Shukuakukobambi: 11:24am On Jul 27, 2018
Sapiosexuality:
Mine is whole and not selective. I'm not religious or even atheistic. Yeah he didn't do anything differently but the bottom line is, neither he nor any of those 'explorers' should be immortalize. If we didn't become foolish, we wouldn't have immortalized them.

Actually we didn't immortalize him. His brother and oga gave the name to the city. No rivers native had anything to do with it
Re: Do You Know Port Harcourt Was Named After A Sex Predator? by gidgiddy: 12:24pm On Jul 27, 2018
Maybe Portharcourt should revert to its original name, Igu-ocha or Igweocha as some others like to call it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buhari : See What Ghana President Told German Chancellor / Re: South East Had The Lowest IGR In 2018 / Suspected Yahoo Boys Seen Bathing On A Bridge In Mokola, Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.