Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,850 members, 7,810,277 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:27 AM

ASUU (lautech) Threatens Fresh Strike As Government Fails To Meet Their Demands - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU (lautech) Threatens Fresh Strike As Government Fails To Meet Their Demands (6635 Views)

Zamfara Students In Cyprus On Scholarship Cry Out As Government Abandons Them / ASUU To Embark On Fresh Strike / Cross River Public Schools To Resume June 16 As Government Mass Produces PPE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU (lautech) Threatens Fresh Strike As Government Fails To Meet Their Demands by indulge01: 7:59am On Jul 27, 2018
A joint statement by its Chairman, Biodun Olaniran, and Secretary, Toyin Abegunrin, expressed surprise that the two governments refused to fund the university, even after it audited its personnel and accounts.

The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) of Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH) in Ogbomosho yesterday has threatened to begin an indefinite strike if the owner-states of Oyo and Osun refuse to fulfil their agreement with the union.

A joint statement by its Chairman, Biodun Olaniran, and Secretary, Toyin Abegunrin, expressed surprise that the two governments refused to fund the university, even after it audited its personnel and accounts.

LAUTECH recently resumed from its eight month-old strike after the two states agreed to pay outstanding debt to the institution.

ASUU said the institution lacked adequate funding, while its workers were owed 10 months’ salary and promotion arrears, among others.

The union noted that besides non-payment of salary and other entitlements, there has been no infrastructural development on campus since the inception of the administration in Oyo and Osun states.

http://www./2018/07/ASUU-lautech-threatens-fresh-strike-as-government-has-failed-meeting-their-demands.html

1 Like

Re: ASUU (lautech) Threatens Fresh Strike As Government Fails To Meet Their Demands by tstx(m): 8:17am On Jul 27, 2018
Naija which Way

*modified*....

Naija Girls are like local rice. If you like select from now till tomorrow, my brother, you go still chop stone. i dedicate this my FTC to Naija girls and [url=ictjobber.com]ictjobber.com[/url], the first designated ict job board in Nigeria

see my signature

1 Like

Re: ASUU (lautech) Threatens Fresh Strike As Government Fails To Meet Their Demands by Tolexander: 8:24am On Jul 27, 2018
Lautech and strike!

I wish Odion Ighalo had the spirit of Lautech in him at the world cup, honestly, Nigeria would win the world cup.

No striker is as potent as Lautech right now.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ASUU (lautech) Threatens Fresh Strike As Government Fails To Meet Their Demands by HigherEd: 9:39am On Jul 27, 2018
They better return this university to one state. So sad!
Lalasticlala
Re: ASUU (lautech) Threatens Fresh Strike As Government Fails To Meet Their Demands by CodeTemplar: 10:13am On Jul 27, 2018
This recurring strike from LAUTECH actually mean a student doing 5 years program has more than 5 years to study his courses have better grades. University education isnt cheap anywhere in the world. It is only here we expect cheap and quality education.
Re: ASUU (lautech) Threatens Fresh Strike As Government Fails To Meet Their Demands by CodeTemplar: 10:20am On Jul 27, 2018
HigherEd:
They better return this university to one state. So sad!
Lalasticlala
They should settle their differences as none of the two states can single-handly fund that school.
All state in Nigeria look up to FG for free oil money and the allocation coming in has to cover many things, I suggest it remains a university of technology to moderate their operation and funding requirement and they should settle their differences amicably.
Osun and Oyo should share admission slots according to the percentage of funds they contribute.
To me, it is a choice between quality and quantity.

1 Like

Re: ASUU (lautech) Threatens Fresh Strike As Government Fails To Meet Their Demands by VictorLinus(m): 12:23pm On Jul 27, 2018
Aint suprised, na dia MODE of operation, Only pitying the students who would suffer from the incessant strikes
Re: ASUU (lautech) Threatens Fresh Strike As Government Fails To Meet Their Demands by pautex: 12:23pm On Jul 27, 2018
ALL THIS AT THE DETRIMENT OF THE INNOCENT STUDENTS. embarassed
Re: ASUU (lautech) Threatens Fresh Strike As Government Fails To Meet Their Demands by adewumiopeyemi(m): 12:23pm On Jul 27, 2018
Which way Nigeria.. cry cry
Re: ASUU (lautech) Threatens Fresh Strike As Government Fails To Meet Their Demands by theoldpretender(m): 12:24pm On Jul 27, 2018
CodeTemplar:
They should settle their differences as none of the two states can single-handly fund that school.
All state in Nigeria look up to FG for free oil money and the allocation coming in has to cover many things, I suggest it remains a university of technology to moderate their operation and funding requirement and they should settle their differences amicably.
Osun and Oyo should share admission slots according to the percentage of funds they contribute.

Therein lies the problem

One thing Nigerians need to realize is that since 2013...when government told ASUU that the 2009 agreement was no longer feasible...and back then we had high oil prcies.....it was either we raise fees....or we find alternative sources of funding.

And agric is not it, neither is solid minerals.

That means a fee increase, or another IMF loan....or we continue producing poor quality graduates because lack of funds.

3 Likes

Re: ASUU (lautech) Threatens Fresh Strike As Government Fails To Meet Their Demands by Fatasy(m): 12:25pm On Jul 27, 2018
we are about to write test now.exam starts on monday,the rumour is just fuming every,i just hope it dosnt come true.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU (lautech) Threatens Fresh Strike As Government Fails To Meet Their Demands by Punstar: 12:26pm On Jul 27, 2018
There are no two ways around this lingering Lautech issue other than increment in school fees. Even if a state successful takes charge...the fees will have to increase albeit minimal. Both states can give bursaries to ease the hike.

1 Like

Re: ASUU (lautech) Threatens Fresh Strike As Government Fails To Meet Their Demands by Slurity(m): 12:28pm On Jul 27, 2018
CodeTemplar:
This recurring strike from LAUTECH actually mean a student doing 5 years program has more than 5 years to study his courses have better grades. University education isnt cheap anywhere in the world. It is only here we expect cheap and quality education.
You can say that again my friend. I actually stayed for 7 years and 5 months for a 6 years program

1 Like

Re: ASUU (lautech) Threatens Fresh Strike As Government Fails To Meet Their Demands by dalaman: 12:32pm On Jul 27, 2018
This is part of PMB achievement.
Re: ASUU (lautech) Threatens Fresh Strike As Government Fails To Meet Their Demands by CodeTemplar: 12:32pm On Jul 27, 2018
theoldpretender:

Therein lies the problem

One thing Nigerians need to realize is that since 2013...when government told ASUU that the 2009 agreement was no longer feasible...and back then we had high oil prcies.....it was either we raise fees....or we find alternative sources of funding.

And agric is not it, neither is solid minerals.

That means a fee increase, or another IMF loan....or we continue producing poor quality graduates because lack of funds.
Agric is it sir. Landmark university charges over Ñ200,000 less than Covenant and is able to maintain a similar standard to Covenant University - all with the aid of agriculture. There is huge leakage in most public schools.
It may interest you to know that the average unilag or ui grad enjoys nothing less than N1.45million of input from FG. That is what some private uni run on so we must block leakages before throwing more resources to the problematic system.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU (lautech) Threatens Fresh Strike As Government Fails To Meet Their Demands by Nobody: 12:40pm On Jul 27, 2018
Lolzzzz
lautech na university.

1 Like

Re: ASUU (lautech) Threatens Fresh Strike As Government Fails To Meet Their Demands by notoriousbabe: 12:43pm On Jul 27, 2018
What are they still waiting for?they should decamp jo
Re: ASUU (lautech) Threatens Fresh Strike As Government Fails To Meet Their Demands by Sirpaul(m): 12:51pm On Jul 27, 2018
Lautech & Strike na 5 et 6
Re: ASUU (lautech) Threatens Fresh Strike As Government Fails To Meet Their Demands by philip2014(m): 12:57pm On Jul 27, 2018
anoda Achievement of "Governor Koseleri" grin
Re: ASUU (lautech) Threatens Fresh Strike As Government Fails To Meet Their Demands by Kennydoc(m): 1:03pm On Jul 27, 2018
CodeTemplar:

Why can't the Osun Campus be collapsed into Osun State University and the Oyo Campus become (part of) Oyo State University?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU (lautech) Threatens Fresh Strike As Government Fails To Meet Their Demands by Tundeobama(m): 1:21pm On Jul 27, 2018
[quote author=CodeTemplar post=69745879]They should settle their differences as none of the two states can single-handly fund that school.
To me, it is a choice between quality and quantity.[/quote
The problem i have with this stupid school is that there school fees is of same range with osun state university and uniosun never strike.lautech management are looting the students funds.
Re: ASUU (lautech) Threatens Fresh Strike As Government Fails To Meet Their Demands by Eraddray(m): 1:22pm On Jul 27, 2018
Kennydoc:

Why can't the Osun Campus be collapsed into Osun State University and the Oyo Campus become (part of) Oyo State University?
hmmm, wisdom is disturbing your brain
Re: ASUU (lautech) Threatens Fresh Strike As Government Fails To Meet Their Demands by CodeTemplar: 1:24pm On Jul 27, 2018
Kennydoc:

There is no Oyo state university. Osun was created out of Oyo state and they started sharing uni since then. It was an advantage to have 2 sponsors but splitting it won't do anyone any good.
Re: ASUU (lautech) Threatens Fresh Strike As Government Fails To Meet Their Demands by FbcGrafix(m): 1:47pm On Jul 27, 2018
Contact me for your premium logo for your business...For proof of my work, click the link in my signature.
Re: ASUU (lautech) Threatens Fresh Strike As Government Fails To Meet Their Demands by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jul 27, 2018
LAUTECH and strike. Naija which way?

Buy your cheap data now!
Re: ASUU (lautech) Threatens Fresh Strike As Government Fails To Meet Their Demands by OyiboOyibo(m): 3:58pm On Jul 27, 2018
LAUTECH and strike is like Buhari and failures
Re: ASUU (lautech) Threatens Fresh Strike As Government Fails To Meet Their Demands by emmasege: 4:05pm On Jul 27, 2018
CodeTemplar:
There is no Oyo state university. Osun was created out of Oyo state and they started sharing uni since then. It was an advantage to have 2 sponsors but splitting it won't do anyone any good.
What of the Technical University recently created by the "Constituted Authority"?
Re: ASUU (lautech) Threatens Fresh Strike As Government Fails To Meet Their Demands by Treasure17(m): 4:48pm On Jul 27, 2018
I'm not surprised because the said school is synonymous to strike. Is like peak, Is in them. Maybe the federal government should take over the school from both states. Oba adaniduro university.
Re: ASUU (lautech) Threatens Fresh Strike As Government Fails To Meet Their Demands by Triiipjnr(m): 6:09pm On Jul 27, 2018
SAME ASUU lambasting JAMB .nigeria waaaaaa......dat angel that directed my cuming to naija hav case on judgement day
Re: ASUU (lautech) Threatens Fresh Strike As Government Fails To Meet Their Demands by Kennydoc(m): 7:07pm On Jul 27, 2018
CodeTemplar:

The reason why I put "part of" in bracket is because I wasn't sure if Oyo State had a stated owned university.

You see, when ownership of businesses is joint, risk of failure is much higher. That's why most musical collabo groups usually fail at some point. There will always be misunderstandings which will affect the business. That's even for private ventures. How much more when 2 different governments are managing one institution IN NIGERIA. Failure is almost certain.

Let me tell you how it has happened in other states in the past. When the old Anambra State was divided into Anambra and Enugu states, the Anambra campus of the then Anambra State University remained Anambra State University which was shortly taken over by the Federal Government and it became Nnamdi Azikiwe University. The Enugu campus became Enugu State University of Technology till today.
A smiliar thing happened when Ebonyi State was created from Enugu and Abia. The Ebonyi campus of ESUT became Ebonyi State University.
This is exactly what Osun and Oyo States would have done. It would have saved LAUTECH of this recurrent and endless mess.

(1) (Reply)

See How A Popular SA Cartoon Depicted Nigerians At Airports (PICS) / Fg And ASUU Finally Reached An Agreement, To Call Off Strike In 24hrs / GTB Prints A Banner Costlier Than Its Content.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.