Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:59 AM

Jonathan's Son Mephibosheth : A Picture Of You And I In Christ - Olamide Obire - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Jonathan's Son Mephibosheth : A Picture Of You And I In Christ - Olamide Obire (720 Views)

Why Young People Don't Like Going To Church - Olamide Obire / What Are You Hearing In Your Local Church, Life Or Death? - Olamide Obire / Why Is The Christian Life So Hard? - Olamide Obire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan's Son Mephibosheth : A Picture Of You And I In Christ - Olamide Obire by jiggaz(m): 6:26pm On Jul 27, 2018
Believers, see our Saviour Jesus Christ and His love for us in the Old Testament story of David (a picture of God the Father) who cut a covenant with his beloved Jonathan (a picture of Christ) and because of this covenant, showed grace to Jonathan's son Mephibosheth (you and I in Christ.) Mephibosheth got to eat at the Lord's table all the days of his life ONLY because of the covenant that David had with Jonathan. That's our life in Christ today!

Mephibosheth was lame in both feet but do you know how he became lame? When his grandfather Saul's house heard that Saul was dead, they feared for their lives. Was this not David that their father Saul tried to kill several times? They thought David was coming to exterminate them; this is a picture of the world and even believers today thinking that God is still angry with them and wants to punish them for their sins and those of their fathers. So they fled (a picture of doing things by human effort in a bid to escape God's judgment).

Jonathan's son, Mephibosheth (a picture of the world that God so loved) was dropped by his nurse as they were fleeing from David (a picture of God the Father) who was not even in pursuit, and the boy became lame in both feet; because he was made to do something that he thought was going to help him escape punishment from David! Mephibosheth's nurse is a picture of ministers of death: law preachers/those who preach that you have to "play your part" by keeping the Ten Commandments and doing "good things" before you can get right with God or escape judgment. Galatians 5:4 tells us this is how to get cut off from Christ:

"For if you are trying to make yourselves right with God by keeping the law, you have been cut off from Christ! You have fallen away from God’s grace."

Beloved of God, we are made righteous only by the obedience of Christ (Romans 5:19.) This is the only brand of righteousness that saves from the fiery judgment of the law and it is the gift of God to all who believe (Romans 5:17.) When you seek His (Christ's gift of) righteousness, all other things, including grace to live right and reign in life (reign over sins, sickness, oppression, whatever,) will be added unto you.

Beloved of God, God is not in pursuit of you to punish you. He is not waiting for you to mess things up so He can let the devil have a go at you or unleash a series of unfortunate events on you. He knows that only the death of the Innocent - Jesus Christ- can free you from the shackles of sin, the judgment of the law and eternal damnation, so He gave His own Son to die for us to set us free indeed! See the counsel of our Lord God in Isaiah 30:14-17 (MSGsmiley

...“Your salvation requires you to turn back to Me
and stop your silly efforts to save yourselves.
Your strength will come from settling down
in complete dependence on Me—..."

Trying to escape the judgment of the law by our own efforts (law-keeping, good works to get right with God) has dire consequences. Romans 7:5 says having this old nature, being under law and not under grace, leads to producing "a harvest of sinful deeds that result in death." The letter kills.

But check out David's heart to Saul's house that thought he wanted to exterminate them. In 2 Samuel 9:9 David asked,

“Is there anyone still left of the house of Saul to whom I can show kindness for Jonathan’s sake?”

Many of us do not yet realise that our invitation to the Lord's table is ONLY because of the covenant that we have with God through our Saviour Jesus Christ. It is for Christ's sake ONLY that God saves us and shows us kindness, not because of our filthy rags righteousnesses from keeping the law and our carnal (fleshly/human) efforts at pleasing Him or avoiding His wrath, which will only cause lameness (remember Mephibosheth) and death! See Romans 7:5.

The account of the meeting between David and Mephibosheth is in 2 Samuel 9. See verse 7-8-

“Don’t be afraid,” David said to him, “for I will surely show you kindness for the sake of your father Jonathan. I will restore to you all the land that belonged to your grandfather Saul, and you will always eat at my table.” 8 Mephibosheth bowed down and said, “What is your servant, that you should notice a dead dog like me?"

David's kindness to Mephibosheth because of Jonathan is a picture of God's grace - undeserved, unmerited favour through Christ and Christ alone. Look what happened next - after David gave him all that he promised, 13

"And Mephibosheth lived in Jerusalem, because he always ate at the king’s table; he was lame in both feet."

But wait. Shouldn't verse 13 read the reverse? Shouldn't it be: "Mephibosheth always ate at the king's table because he lived in Jerusalem?" How can always eating at the king’s table cause him to live in Jerusalem?This is like me saying "the boy lived in my house because he ate at my table." The ideal thing to say would be "The boy ate at my table because he lived in my house."

Beloved of God, lame (imperfect) Mephibosheth's living in Jerusalem is a picture of the salvation of we imperfect people in Christ: our holiness and our living a blessed and righteous life. Many believers think we must be holy and live right by our own efforts first before we can eat at the Lord's table (enjoy His goodness and mercy.) Not so! Eating at the Lord's table a.k.a hearing the word of faith, being conscious of His presence, His goodness, mercy and love for us, is what causes us to live right. It is the goodness of God that leads to repentance.

When you continue to eat at His table, even with your lameness (sins, addictions, oppression, etc) you will be made whole! It is Christ's "Neither do I condemn you" that makes us "go and sin no more."

The Holy Spirit will teach you all things.

Believe Right and you will Live Right.

https://rightbelieving101..com/2017/12/jonathans-son-mephibosheth-picture-of.html?m=1

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jonathan's Son Mephibosheth : A Picture Of You And I In Christ - Olamide Obire by bloodofthelamb(m): 7:33pm On Jul 27, 2018
This is a perfect picture of our salvation. singing is grace! grace! grace! I'm nothing without you.

Hallelujah!!!
Re: Jonathan's Son Mephibosheth : A Picture Of You And I In Christ - Olamide Obire by jiggaz(m): 9:30pm On Jul 27, 2018
bloodofthelamb:
This is a perfect picture of our salvation. singing is grace! grace! grace! I'm nothing without you.

Hallelujah!!!
Amen my bro!! It's all about Lord Jesus... Without Him we are nothing...
Re: Jonathan's Son Mephibosheth : A Picture Of You And I In Christ - Olamide Obire by jiggaz(m): 10:35am On Jul 28, 2018
Lord Jesus.. The hope of my glory...

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan's Son Mephibosheth : A Picture Of You And I In Christ - Olamide Obire by Nobody: 9:01pm On Jul 28, 2018
hummm, I m speechless
my God you are worthy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jonathan's Son Mephibosheth : A Picture Of You And I In Christ - Olamide Obire by jiggaz(m): 7:50am On Jul 29, 2018
solite3:
hummm, I m speechless
my God you are worthy
yes oo my bro... He is so worthy...
Re: Jonathan's Son Mephibosheth : A Picture Of You And I In Christ - Olamide Obire by jiggaz(m): 11:32am On Jul 29, 2018
Lord Jesus
Re: Jonathan's Son Mephibosheth : A Picture Of You And I In Christ - Olamide Obire by jiggaz(m): 3:08pm On Jul 29, 2018
Thank you Lord Jesus.
Re: Jonathan's Son Mephibosheth : A Picture Of You And I In Christ - Olamide Obire by xtivin(m): 4:51pm On Jul 29, 2018
Mephibosheth means son of shame, be careful the name you give your Child
Re: Jonathan's Son Mephibosheth : A Picture Of You And I In Christ - Olamide Obire by jiggaz(m): 7:22pm On Jul 29, 2018
Christ Jesus is my righteousness and redemption
Re: Jonathan's Son Mephibosheth : A Picture Of You And I In Christ - Olamide Obire by jiggaz(m): 7:00am On Jul 30, 2018
The Love of God has consumed me...
Re: Jonathan's Son Mephibosheth : A Picture Of You And I In Christ - Olamide Obire by AlexRi(f): 9:36am On Jul 30, 2018
jiggaz:
Believers, see our Saviour Jesus Christ and His love for us in the Old Testament story of David (a picture of God the Father) who cut a covenant with his beloved Jonathan (a picture of Christ) and because of this covenant, showed grace to Jonathan's son Mephibosheth (you and I in Christ.) Mephibosheth got to eat at the Lord's table all the days of his life ONLY because of the covenant that David had with Jonathan. That's our life in Christ today!

Mephibosheth was lame in both feet but do you know how he became lame? When his grandfather Saul's house heard that Saul was dead, they feared for their lives. Was this not David that their father Saul tried to kill several times? They thought David was coming to exterminate them; this is a picture of the world and even believers today thinking that God is still angry with them and wants to punish them for their sins and those of their fathers. So they fled (a picture of doing things by human effort in a bid to escape God's judgment).

Jonathan's son, Mephibosheth (a picture of the world that God so loved) was dropped by his nurse as they were fleeing from David (a picture of God the Father) who was not even in pursuit, and the boy became lame in both feet; because he was made to do something that he thought was going to help him escape punishment from David! Mephibosheth's nurse is a picture of ministers of death: law preachers/those who preach that you have to "play your part" by keeping the Ten Commandments and doing "good things" before you can get right with God or escape judgment. Galatians 5:4 tells us this is how to get cut off from Christ:

"For if you are trying to make yourselves right with God by keeping the law, you have been cut off from Christ! You have fallen away from God’s grace."

Beloved of God, we are made righteous only by the obedience of Christ (Romans 5:19.) This is the only brand of righteousness that saves from the fiery judgment of the law and it is the gift of God to all who believe (Romans 5:17.) When you seek His (Christ's gift of) righteousness, all other things, including grace to live right and reign in life (reign over sins, sickness, oppression, whatever,) will be added unto you.

Beloved of God, God is not in pursuit of you to punish you. He is not waiting for you to mess things up so He can let the devil have a go at you or unleash a series of unfortunate events on you. He knows that only the death of the Innocent - Jesus Christ- can free you from the shackles of sin, the judgment of the law and eternal damnation, so He gave His own Son to die for us to set us free indeed! See the counsel of our Lord God in Isaiah 30:14-17 (MSGsmiley

Trying to escape the judgment of the law by our own efforts (law-keeping, good works to get right with God) has dire consequences. Romans 7:5 says having this old nature, being under law and not under grace, leads to producing "a harvest of sinful deeds that result in death." The letter kills.

But check out David's heart to Saul's house that thought he wanted to exterminate them. In 2 Samuel 9:9 David asked,

“Is there anyone still left of the house of Saul to whom I can show kindness for Jonathan’s sake?”

Many of us do not yet realise that our invitation to the Lord's table is ONLY because of the covenant that we have with God through our Saviour Jesus Christ. It is for Christ's sake ONLY that God saves us and shows us kindness, not because of our filthy rags righteousnesses from keeping the law and our carnal (fleshly/human) efforts at pleasing Him or avoiding His wrath, which will only cause lameness (remember Mephibosheth) and death! See Romans 7:5.

The account of the meeting between David and Mephibosheth is in 2 Samuel 9. See verse 7-8-

“Don’t be afraid,” David said to him, “for I will surely show you kindness for the sake of your father Jonathan. I will restore to you all the land that belonged to your grandfather Saul, and you will always eat at my table.” 8 Mephibosheth bowed down and said, “What is your servant, that you should notice a dead dog like me?"

David's kindness to Mephibosheth because of Jonathan is a picture of God's grace - undeserved, unmerited favour through Christ and Christ alone. Look what happened next - after David gave him all that he promised, 13

"And Mephibosheth lived in Jerusalem, because he always ate at the king’s table; he was lame in both feet."

But wait. Shouldn't verse 13 read the reverse? Shouldn't it be: "Mephibosheth always ate at the king's table because he lived in Jerusalem?" How can always eating at the king’s table cause him to live in Jerusalem?This is like me saying "the boy lived in my house because he ate at my table." The ideal thing to say would be "The boy ate at my table because he lived in my house."

Beloved of God, lame (imperfect) Mephibosheth's living in Jerusalem is a picture of the salvation of we imperfect people in Christ: our holiness and our living a blessed and righteous life. Many believers think we must be holy and live right by our own efforts first before we can eat at the Lord's table (enjoy His goodness and mercy.) Not so! Eating at the Lord's table a.k.a hearing the word of faith, being conscious of His presence, His goodness, mercy and love for us, is what causes us to live right. It is the goodness of God that leads to repentance.

When you continue to eat at His table, even with your lameness (sins, addictions, oppression, etc) you will be made whole! It is Christ's "Neither do I condemn you" that makes us "go and sin no more."

http://rightbelieving101..com/2017/12/jonathans-son-mephibosheth-picture-of.html?m=1
Re: Jonathan's Son Mephibosheth : A Picture Of You And I In Christ - Olamide Obire by AlexRi(f): 7:18pm On Jul 30, 2018
This is a beautiful comparison. I have never seen nor imagined it this way. Hmm, indeed a lot of things truly point to Christ in the Old Testament; The Bread (manna) from heaven (Exodus 16:15-John 6:58), the sacrificial lamb, the passover lamb ( Exodus 12:13) Cos He was crucified on the day of the passover ( Luke22:15), the rock at mount sinai, the living spring of water etc. Hallelujah!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jonathan's Son Mephibosheth : A Picture Of You And I In Christ - Olamide Obire by jiggaz(m): 7:35pm On Jul 30, 2018
AlexRi:
This is a beautiful comparison. I have never seen nor imagined it this way. Hmm, indeed a lot of things truly point to Christ in the Old Testament; The Bread (manna) from heaven (Exodus 16:15-John 6:58), the sacrificial lamb, the passover lamb ( Exodus 12:13) Cos He was crucified on the day of the passover ( Luke22:15), the rock at mount sinai, the living spring of water etc. Hallelujah!
Amen oo my sister... Christ is the centre of everything... It's in Him that everything is held together in the Universe...
Re: Jonathan's Son Mephibosheth : A Picture Of You And I In Christ - Olamide Obire by jiggaz(m): 7:00am On Aug 05, 2018
I see grace sealed by your sacrifice oh Lord Jesus...
Re: Jonathan's Son Mephibosheth : A Picture Of You And I In Christ - Olamide Obire by Nobody: 5:12pm On Aug 30, 2018
jiggaz:
I see grace sealed by your sacrifice oh Lord Jesus...
Amen

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jonathan's Son Mephibosheth : A Picture Of You And I In Christ - Olamide Obire by jiggaz(m): 10:56pm On Aug 02, 2021
jiggaz:
Christ Jesus is my righteousness and redemption
Re: Jonathan's Son Mephibosheth : A Picture Of You And I In Christ - Olamide Obire by jiggaz(m): 7:20am On Aug 03, 2021
Goood
Re: Jonathan's Son Mephibosheth : A Picture Of You And I In Christ - Olamide Obire by jiggaz(m): 2:04pm On Aug 03, 2021
Afternoon
Re: Jonathan's Son Mephibosheth : A Picture Of You And I In Christ - Olamide Obire by Moniter0: 2:20pm On Aug 03, 2021
jiggaz:

http://rightbelieving101..com/2017/12/jonathans-son-mephibosheth-picture-of.html?m=1

It seems this website is not working anymore, any idea why?
Re: Jonathan's Son Mephibosheth : A Picture Of You And I In Christ - Olamide Obire by Moniter0: 2:32pm On Aug 03, 2021
jiggaz:

David (a picture of the Father) showed kindness to Mephibosheth (a picture of us who couldn't do anything to escape Judgement or help ourselves) because of Jonathan (a picture of Jesus). Jonathan means “God's gift”, which speaks of how God gave His Son! And His Son qualified us for all of God's blessings. Hallelujah!
Re: Jonathan's Son Mephibosheth : A Picture Of You And I In Christ - Olamide Obire by jiggaz(m): 5:13pm On Aug 03, 2021
Moniter0:

I don't know why its not working. But below is the updated link to the site ���

https://rightbelieving101..com/2017/12/jonathans-son-mephibosheth-picture-of.html?m=1
Re: Jonathan's Son Mephibosheth : A Picture Of You And I In Christ - Olamide Obire by jiggaz(m): 5:15pm On Aug 03, 2021
Moniter0:

The website is working but when pasted on Nairaland it won't open.. And i don't know why oo. Sorry about that.
Re: Jonathan's Son Mephibosheth : A Picture Of You And I In Christ - Olamide Obire by jiggaz(m): 5:15pm On Aug 03, 2021
Moniter0:

David (a picture of the Father) showed kindness to Mephibosheth (a picture of us who couldn't do anything to escape Judgement or help ourselves) because of Jonathan (a picture of Jesus). Jonathan means “God's gift”, which speaks of how God gave His Son! And His Son qualified us for all of God's blessings. Hallelujah!
Amen!!
Re: Jonathan's Son Mephibosheth : A Picture Of You And I In Christ - Olamide Obire by Moniter0: 5:52pm On Aug 03, 2021
jiggaz:

I don't know why its not working. But below is the updated link to the site ���

it still did not open in my phone.
Re: Jonathan's Son Mephibosheth : A Picture Of You And I In Christ - Olamide Obire by jiggaz(m): 9:42pm On Aug 03, 2021
Moniter0:
it still did not open in my phone.
Yes it won't open on nairaland and i don't know why. Just copy the link and paste it on google, the website will open.

(1) (Reply)

Who Is Our Creator? / Rhapsody Of Realities Daily Devotional / Paul Adefarasin’s Heartfelt Message To His Beautiful Wife, Ifeanyi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.