Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,275 members, 7,957,691 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 05:35 PM

Why MKO Abiola Won The 1993 Election, By Naptu2 - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why MKO Abiola Won The 1993 Election, By Naptu2 (15373 Views)

Ogunderu: How We Carried Out The 1993 Nigerian Airways Hijack / The Unofficial Results Of The Annulled June 12 1993 Election / Abiola: Sowore Protesting Annulment Of June 12, 1993 Election (Throwback Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why MKO Abiola Won The 1993 Election, By Naptu2 by dermmy(m): 6:34am On Jul 29, 2018
Ler this man rest. Op this ur long essay
Re: Why MKO Abiola Won The 1993 Election, By Naptu2 by Makanjuola89: 6:38am On Jul 29, 2018
How the hell will I read all of this?
Re: Why MKO Abiola Won The 1993 Election, By Naptu2 by Nobody: 6:39am On Jul 29, 2018
Rubbish.

I was told abiola sponsored almost all the coups that took place in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Why MKO Abiola Won The 1993 Election, By Naptu2 by BestDude: 6:43am On Jul 29, 2018
This is why the North will forever be the harbinger of backwardness.... They always do things to draw the country backwards and you people still associate with them.

The South has contributed to moving the country forward than the North.

Imagine denying this man his electoral mandate by a northerner.

Buhari a northerner but see what he has turned the country into.
Re: Why MKO Abiola Won The 1993 Election, By Naptu2 by Babatundebaabs(m): 6:44am On Jul 29, 2018
Bros... fear God na. Am sure you got it somewhr and pasted it here. Not sure a reasonable Nigerians will read this. And if na type you type all dis, then I leave d respond to the nxt person.

3 Likes

Re: Why MKO Abiola Won The 1993 Election, By Naptu2 by Nobody: 6:44am On Jul 29, 2018
OboOlora:
Op, something is wrong with u!
I actually started reading this until I got to the PRP bit and decided to scroll down and saw the long epistle all because of Abiola!
Same Abiola that Fela the great prophet sang about in ITT?
Please save the long epistle and let the man burn in peace in Hell!

if you know who the op is, u would show more respect to him. He is not your mate!! you can disagree with him, but never tel him something is wrong with him..

24 Likes

Re: Why MKO Abiola Won The 1993 Election, By Naptu2 by BestDude: 6:44am On Jul 29, 2018
Princeofnigeria:
Rubbish.

I was told abiola sponsored almost all the coups that took place in Nigeria
you were TOLD... Listen again... You were told.

Did you see him sponsor it or you were there?

12 Likes

Re: Why MKO Abiola Won The 1993 Election, By Naptu2 by Nobody: 6:46am On Jul 29, 2018
OboOlora:
I actually started reading this until I got to the PRP bit and decided to scroll down and saw the long epistle all because of Abiola!

Fela is not infallible. Abiolas sin was being close to IBB, he probably got contracts from him. IBB eventually back stabbed him. So dt karma played itself out.

It doesn't negate how magnanimous he was, in life and in death. I am sure the longer mko spent in prison, even fela had a change of heart about him.

5 Likes

Re: Why MKO Abiola Won The 1993 Election, By Naptu2 by Dacronym(m): 6:47am On Jul 29, 2018
Mtcheww
Re: Why MKO Abiola Won The 1993 Election, By Naptu2 by Nobody: 6:52am On Jul 29, 2018
BestDude:

oga stop being childish you know very well it's the truth
Re: Why MKO Abiola Won The 1993 Election, By Naptu2 by Nobody: 6:53am On Jul 29, 2018
Abiola was spetacular during his lifetime. posterity has mouth to speak about him.

1 Like

Re: Why MKO Abiola Won The 1993 Election, By Naptu2 by Racoon(m): 6:55am On Jul 29, 2018
MKO Abiola was really a phenomenon.I will never forget June-12 and all the cascade of events that followed thereafter. sad

3 Likes

Re: Why MKO Abiola Won The 1993 Election, By Naptu2 by Paentera(m): 7:00am On Jul 29, 2018
I can confirm his generosity to Churches as he donated to St Dominic's Catholic Church Building Fund either in 1991 or 1992. The amount he donated, I cannot recollect. I remember the Church made a big deal out of it.

A great man with his own flaws, no doubt.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why MKO Abiola Won The 1993 Election, By Naptu2 by Nobody: 7:07am On Jul 29, 2018
Whoever wrote that article must be wicked to have expected a lazy Nigerian yoot like me to read all that.

3 Likes

Re: Why MKO Abiola Won The 1993 Election, By Naptu2 by Aldebaran(m): 7:08am On Jul 29, 2018
BestDude:

Nice reply

3 Likes

Re: Why MKO Abiola Won The 1993 Election, By Naptu2 by BabaRamota1980: 7:10am On Jul 29, 2018
1) Popularity

You cannot imagine how popular Chief Abiola was if you did not live in the 1980s. I’m going to try and explain it, but the truth is that you simply cannot fully comprehend how popular he was. There is no one alive in Nigeria today that you can accurately use as an example to illustrate how popular Chief Abiola was.

Aah ah, oga naptu, kilode.... grin

Nnamdi Kanu nko? ...popularity is all over the world.

Hold on....my fault. You said alive...

2 Likes

Re: Why MKO Abiola Won The 1993 Election, By Naptu2 by BestDude: 7:13am On Jul 29, 2018
Princeofnigeria:
oga stop being childish you know very well it's the truth
sorry I don't and as a matter of fact, you are the first person I am hearing this from. If we check your age now, it will be sad to discover you were LIKELY born in the 90s or late 80s but you are here distributing information on something you didn't see with your own eyes.

Satan and lai Mohammed are learners where people like you exist.

1 Like

Re: Why MKO Abiola Won The 1993 Election, By Naptu2 by otokx(m): 7:24am On Jul 29, 2018
Nice reading, learnt a lot.

4 Likes

Re: Why MKO Abiola Won The 1993 Election, By Naptu2 by Nobody: 7:25am On Jul 29, 2018
BestDude:
sorry I don't and as a matter of fact, you are the first person I am hearing this from. If we check your age now, it will be sad to discover you were LIKELY born in the 90s or late 80s but you are here distributing information on something you didn't see with your own eyes.

Satan and lai Mohammed are learners where people like you exist.
lol. shall it's what I heard don't know if it's true though.
Re: Why MKO Abiola Won The 1993 Election, By Naptu2 by madridguy(m): 7:32am On Jul 29, 2018
I will come back and read it.
Re: Why MKO Abiola Won The 1993 Election, By Naptu2 by lifenajeje(m): 7:32am On Jul 29, 2018
Op thanks so much for this post its soooooooooo
Interesting

3 Likes

Re: Why MKO Abiola Won The 1993 Election, By Naptu2 by loveth360(f): 7:34am On Jul 29, 2018
so why did yorubas betrayed him.

According to his daughter"yorubas killed her father and share his meat"

1 Like

Re: Why MKO Abiola Won The 1993 Election, By Naptu2 by OboOlora(f): 7:36am On Jul 29, 2018
Arondizuogu:

if you know who the op is, u would show more respect to him. He is not your mate!! you can disagree with him, but never tel him something is wrong with him..

Re: Why MKO Abiola Won The 1993 Election, By Naptu2 by duality(m): 7:39am On Jul 29, 2018
Abeggyyy.... Was that why they were counting rubbish on the long queue of voters.

People don't want to talk about the manipulations and irregularities of the election.

Indeed, Abiola was popular, but the election still had the rigging tendency of the Nigerian politicians.

Those who worked in NEC know I'm saying the truth.

If that election held today, there would have been serious litigations with evidences in court.

I don't like talking about it, coz it's an unpopular opinion, but it's truth irrespective of how emotional we are about it.

1 Like

Re: Why MKO Abiola Won The 1993 Election, By Naptu2 by YungTemy(m): 7:45am On Jul 29, 2018
BestDude:

According to the Pulse.ng "MKO Abiola is also alleged to have sponsored the 1985 coup that brought Babangida to power with ten million dollars ($10M)"
Re: Why MKO Abiola Won The 1993 Election, By Naptu2 by naptu2: 7:46am On Jul 29, 2018
Princeofnigeria:
lol. shall it's what I heard don't know if it's true though.

Do you want to read, in Fela's own words and from Fela's book, the origin of the dispute between Fela and Abiola? It's a bit long (I've noticed that quite a few young people have problems with reading).

4 Likes

Re: Why MKO Abiola Won The 1993 Election, By Naptu2 by OboOlora(f): 7:57am On Jul 29, 2018
janellemonae:

Fela is not infallible. Abiolas sin was being close to IBB, he probably got contracts from him. IBB eventually back stabbed him. So dt karma played itself out.

It doesn't negate how magnanimous he was, in life and in death. I am sure the longer he spent in prison, even fela had a change of heart about him.
Ok SAN, allow them to sort out their differences in hell

Re: Why MKO Abiola Won The 1993 Election, By Naptu2 by deic9(m): 8:01am On Jul 29, 2018
OboOlora:

This country would have been great if we had that known thief govern us well, than all these current thieves who care just about their own pocket alone.
Re: Why MKO Abiola Won The 1993 Election, By Naptu2 by debasco1(m): 8:01am On Jul 29, 2018
[quote author=naptu2 post=69793712]Post 1F

2) Structure

However, as we all know, mere popularity is not enough to win the presidency of Nigeria. Winning the Nigerian presidency is not about intellect, fame or wealth. There are very many famous, wealthy, intelligent or popular people that have attempted to become the president of Nigeria and failed woefully. People like Chief Gani Fawehinmi, Professor Pat Utomi, Fela Anikulapo-Kuti, Demas Nwoko, Pastor Chris Okotie, Major General Muhammadu Buhari and even Chief MKO Abiola have tried to win the presidency and failed woefully because they did not have the structure that’s required. (I have to make a confession at this point. I was one of the people that mocked Demas Nwoko when he declared that he was going to contest for the presidency of Nigeria).

For example, Chief MKO Abiola attempted to contest for the presidency during the Second Republic, but he failed woefully.

Chief MKO Abiola was a nationalist (that is, he followed the Nigerian ideology of nationalism). He was a member of the National Council of Nigerian Citizens (NCNC) during the First Republic and it was only natural that he was one of the founding members of the National Party of Nigeria (NPN) in the Second Republic.

The NPN had issues with the media. The biggest newspaper houses were based in the South West and the South West was the main support base of the Unity Party of Nigeria (UPN). Some NPN members felt that the media was biased in favour of the UPN. The NPN was a nationalist party, but the media made it seem like it was a northern party. There were also statements by NPN members that were misreported by the media.

For example, Alhaji Umaru Dikko (one of the most powerful members of the NPN) was appointed as the chairman of the committee on rice importation (a very sensitive and controversial committee at that time). In one of his speeches as head of the committee he said, “As long as we are in government, we will leave no stone unturned to ensure that there is sufficient food in Nigeria and nobody will eat from the dustbin”. However, the media reported that he said, “There is no hunger in Nigeria because nobody is eating from dustbins” (or something like that). I know people who still vilify Umaru Dikko today for that statement.

Chief Abiola offered to assist his party to counter the negative publicity. He started a very popular national newspaper called the National Concord. The National Concord battled with the rest of the media and balanced the equation in the media. It exposed the Maroko land scandal in which Chief Obafemi Awolowo (the leader of the UPN) was accused of grabbing land from the poorest of Nigerians in Maroko.

Chief Abiola’s success with the National Concord made him believe that he could aspire for a key position in the NPN leadership. He contested for the chairmanship of the party, but the key members of the party supported the incumbent, Chief Meredith Adisa Akinloye, who had been a major politician since the 1950s. Chief Akinloye had the necessary political structures, while Chief Abiola did not, so of course he lost the contest.

Then he decided to contest in the 1983 presidential elections. Remember that Chief Abiola’s party, the National Party of Nigeria, controlled the presidency and the National Assembly. In other words, President Shehu Shagari was a member of the NPN and Chief Abiola wanted to contest against him.

Alhaji Umaru Dikko was President Shagari’s chief enforcer. President Shagari was a quiet and gentle man, so Umaru Dikko did all the dirty work for him (He was to President Shagari, what Chief Tony Anenih was to President Obasanjo). Umaru Dikko had been in government and politics since the 1960s and he knew all the tricks. President Shagari had also been in politics since the 1950s and he was a minister in the First Republic. Meanwhile, although Chief Abiola was a wealthy and popular businessman, he had never held any key political position and he didn’t have a political structure.

Umaru Dikko told Chief Abiola that the presidency was not for sale. Chief Abiola lost the primary election, left the party and ceased actively participating in politics.

What does structure mean? I tried to explain the concept of structure to a few Nairalanders years ago, but they could not understand it. I will use an example to explain what structure means.

There was an old man that I knew in the 1970s and 1980s. He was a very nice old man. He was small in stature, but he was very influential. I remember that he had once held a position in government, but I can’t remember what that position was. He was no longer in government by the end of the Second Republic, yet he was more influential than people in government.

You see, this man was one of the de facto leaders of his community. The people went to him whenever there was a problem with electricity or water supply in the community and he intervened and the problem was solved. He helped children get into school, provided scholarships, etc. He took a walk around the community virtually every day, greeting people and enquiring about the welfare of their families. He didn’t have any official government position for most of the 1980s and early 1990s, but he was more respected than most government officials.

The people trusted that man more than they trusted people who showed up a year or two before elections to speak big grammar or offer people money. They might show up at other candidates’ rallies, to satisfy their curiosity and enjoy the excitement that rallies provide, they might collect money from wealthy politicians, but they will only vote for the candidates that this man endorses. They’ve actually seen the man solve their problems and they have a personal connection with him. They suspect that the candidates that come to speak big grammar or throw money around will forget them when they get into office, but they know that they can hold that man to account because he is one of them.

You need to have a group of such people working for you (in addition to whatever talents you have, e.g. popularity, wealth, intellect, etc.) in order to win elections in Nigeria. If you want to win a governorship election, then you must have them spread across the state. They must be prepared to work for you and mobilise voters across the state to vote for you. Nigeria is a big and very diverse country. In order to win the presidency, you must have people like that working for you in states across all the regions of Nigeria and across all the classes of people in Nigeria.

A political structure in Nigeria is a group of associates, followers, loyalists, etc. that can easily mobilise support and votes for the candidate of the group. Political parties have their structures and some individual politicians also have their structure. For example, the political structure of Chief Bola Ahmed Tinubu is the Primrose Group and it has existed since at least 1991. The political structure of Alhaji Atiku Abubakar is the People’s Democratic Movement (PDM) and it is a successor of the People’s Front (PF) which was the political structure of General Shehu Musa Yar’Adua and which was established in 1989. The political structure of Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso is the Kwankwasiyya Movement. There are political structures that are so strong that they can survive the death of the structure’s leader, e.g. the Awoist Movement and the People’s Front.

Some political structures are formal. They have a formal name and structure, but some political structures are ad hoc. They have no formal name or structure, but they are put together to achieve a specific purpose.

This piece is about the amazing political machine that was cobbled together by Chief MKO Abiola in order to win the June 12 1993 election.

https://naijachronicles./2018/07/28/why-mko-abiola-won-the-1993-election-part- you story is amazing, keep it up!�
Re: Why MKO Abiola Won The 1993 Election, By Naptu2 by otokx(m): 8:03am On Jul 29, 2018
naptu2:

Do you want to read, in Fela's own words and from Fela's book, the origin of the dispute between Fela and Abiola? It's a bit long (I've noticed that quite a few young people have problems with reading).

They prefer watching TV

4 Likes

Re: Why MKO Abiola Won The 1993 Election, By Naptu2 by OboOlora(f): 8:04am On Jul 29, 2018
deic9:

This country would have been great if we had that known thief govern us well, than all these current thieves who care just about their own pocket alone.
Even if Pastor Oledepo is the President, it won’t change nada! That seat is cursed and the position is surrounded by possessed spirit that will make u forget what u had planned to do before getting into power.
Re: Why MKO Abiola Won The 1993 Election, By Naptu2 by Jethrolite(m): 8:12am On Jul 29, 2018
A lesson in political history, strategy, business and philanthropy.

Great job naptu but to what end?

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Senate Committee Uncovers Employment Scam In FCSC / We’re Compiling Reports On Nigerian Elections – US / Despite Vote Of Confidence, Ayu Faces Critical Week In Battle For Survival

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.