Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,148 members, 7,825,584 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 06:11 PM

Sienna: Kunle: Gurus: Catalytic Converters: Beneficial To Remove? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Sienna: Kunle: Gurus: Catalytic Converters: Beneficial To Remove? (2570 Views)

How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter / Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter / Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sienna: Kunle: Gurus: Catalytic Converters: Beneficial To Remove? by oblo(m): 5:40pm On Jun 17, 2010
Still on my golf 3. I noticed that my fuel economy is a lil bit  on the extra high side( I am aware that its a lil bit higher than jap cars neway) Took a trip from abeokuta to lkeja in lagos  ( regency halls) wch is about one hour and bought 30 litres before i left abeokuta. By the time i got back to abeokuta my tank don enter red!! Note that I ran the A/C to and fro but e go still chop that much fuel? A whole 30 litres!!Haba!! Wetin!!!!!! shocked shocked undecided undecided angry angry

My tyre pressure was checked before the trip and I had only 3 passengers making a total of four persons in the car.

So since I be more or less a DIY person I was thinkin of removing the catalytic converter from the exhaust system to reduce the back end pressure which in turn will make my engine run with less stress thereby improving my fuel economy,  chei!!abi no be so?( I no be scientist jare!!!) grin grin

Or  there be any other thing or possible problem I might be missing?
Sienna,kunle,,gurus dem in da house Please advice.

Thanks
Re: Sienna: Kunle: Gurus: Catalytic Converters: Beneficial To Remove? by oblo(m): 6:31pm On Jun 17, 2010
Re: Sienna: Kunle: Gurus: Catalytic Converters: Beneficial To Remove? by Nobody: 7:15pm On Jun 17, 2010
Firstly, what's the rough distance between Abeokuta and Ikeja?

We're talking approximately 6 gallons of juice, or assuming you were above the reserve (approx. 4.5 litres) so all in, approximately 7 gallons.

Now for your catalyst. . .

Sure, removing it will create less back pressure, but a naturally aspirated engine needs some degree of back pressure to run at it's most efficient, unlike a turbocharged motor, that responds best to positive pressure. Catalysts have come a long way since they were first mandatory on European cars (August 1992) and as such, are less restrictive than you'd think. Unless yours has broken up, and the core has partially blocked the exhaust, removing it will make little difference. You could also trigger a CEL (you don't say what country your Golf III is from, and engine size). US-spec cars have a different emission control system, compared to their Euro counterparts, and as such, are more sensitive to changes.

I'd check your car for fault codes, before proceeding further. Is your car OBDII - as in does it have two lambda probes, before and after the catalyst?
Re: Sienna: Kunle: Gurus: Catalytic Converters: Beneficial To Remove? by KunleA2(m): 7:50pm On Jun 17, 2010
Also, in addition,

Whats the traffic like?. If you are sitting in heavy traffic for a long time, then the distance don't really matter. You can run out 30 litres of petrol in your driveway with your a/c on!  undecided You didn't even move any distance.

When was the last time your car was service? I mean full blown service. Plugs, spark plug wires (unfortunately most ppl think that they last forever!), fuel filter, timing adjustment etc.

There is a lot that you might need to be concerned about bigger than your catalytic converter.

Let us know.
Re: Sienna: Kunle: Gurus: Catalytic Converters: Beneficial To Remove? by oblo(m): 7:11am On Jun 18, 2010
Siena:

Firstly, what's the rough distance between Abeokuta and Ikeja?

Aprox. 100 kilometres

We're talking approximately 6 gallons of juice, or assuming you were above the reserve (approx. 4.5 litres) so all in, approximately 7 gallons.

Now for your catalyst. . .

Sure, removing it will create less back pressure, but a naturally aspirated engine needs some degree of back pressure to run at it's most efficient, unlike a turbocharged motor, that responds best to positive pressure. Catalysts have come a long way since they were first mandatory on European cars (August 1992) and as such, are less restrictive than you'd think. Unless yours has broken up, and the core has partially blocked the exhaust, removing it will make little difference. You could also trigger a CEL (you don't say what country your Golf III is from, and engine size).

It came in from germany and is a 1996 1.8 litre engine golf3

US-spec cars have a different emission control system, compared to their Euro counterparts, and as such, are more sensitive to changes.

I'd check your car for fault codes, before proceeding further. Is your car OBDII - as in does it have two lambda probes, before and after the catalyst?

How do i know if its OBDII? And what are lambda probes and what do they look like?

Kunle-A:

Also, in addition,

Whats the traffic like?. If you are sitting in heavy traffic for a long time, then the distance don't really matter. You can run out 30 litres of petrol in your driveway with your a/c on!  undecided You didn't even move any distance.

Nope it was straight driving all the way, No traffic jam at all

When was the last time your car was service? I mean full blown service. Plugs, spark plug wires (unfortunately most ppl think that they last forever!), fuel filter, timing adjustment etc.

I just serviced the car, changed the oil and oil filter, yea bout the timing belt I noticed that it isnt as tight as it should be or may be am wrong, but it feels loose to me oooo

Fuel filter? Dnt tink ave changed it

Plugs ? How often do we need to change those? I do that every 2 or three services, wch is about once in two months.

How do I know that my spark plug wires are defective? They look ok to me, or is there more than meets the eyes?

There is a lot that you might need to be concerned about bigger than your catalytic converter.

Let us know.
Re: Sienna: Kunle: Gurus: Catalytic Converters: Beneficial To Remove? by oblo(m): 10:14am On Jun 19, 2010
Re: Sienna: Kunle: Gurus: Catalytic Converters: Beneficial To Remove? by oblo(m): 10:55am On Jun 19, 2010
:-x undecided
Re: Sienna: Kunle: Gurus: Catalytic Converters: Beneficial To Remove? by oblo(m): 1:13pm On Jun 19, 2010
undecided undecided
Re: Sienna: Kunle: Gurus: Catalytic Converters: Beneficial To Remove? by Onwan: 1:54pm On Jun 19, 2010
oblo:

undecided undecided

@Oblo

Your car is ok. I know you alway like doing all kinds of upgrades to it.

With the kind of things you keep trying to do with this your German machine, its clear to me that the only time you will appreciate your car is when you damage it completely cheesy.

People have very very serious problems like knocked out engines, bad fuel supply, vibration, etc - BUT you, your car runs and drives very well, you are either thinking of doing some injector "implant" or some catalytic "botox" on it. The truth is that Im not sure you can find a perfect car.
Re: Sienna: Kunle: Gurus: Catalytic Converters: Beneficial To Remove? by oblo(m): 2:33pm On Jun 19, 2010
Onwan:

@Oblo

Your car is ok. I know you alway like doing all kinds of upgrades to it.

With the kind of things you keep trying to do with this your German machine, its clear to me that the only time you will appreciate your car is when you damage it completely cheesy.

Shuo!!! Na me you do like dis? grin grin angry angry

People have very very serious problems like knocked out engines, bad fuel supply, vibration, etc - BUT you, your car runs and drives very well, you are either thinking of doing some injector "implant" or some catalytic "botox" on it. The truth is that Im not sure you can find a perfect car.

Yawa shocked shocked
Re: Sienna: Kunle: Gurus: Catalytic Converters: Beneficial To Remove? by Onwan: 2:57pm On Jun 19, 2010
cheesy
Just joking, BUT really, your car is ok.
Re: Sienna: Kunle: Gurus: Catalytic Converters: Beneficial To Remove? by oblo(m): 3:03pm On Jun 19, 2010
Onwan:

cheesy
Just joking, BUT really, your car is ok.

embarassed embarassed Phew!!! But u sef check am now?,,,,,30litres no too much? I for just kuku fuel my Vbug 1500series take waka the waka !!!! grin grin grin
Re: Sienna: Kunle: Gurus: Catalytic Converters: Beneficial To Remove? by Onwan: 6:57pm On Jun 19, 2010
oblo:

embarassed embarassed Phew!!! But u sef check am now?,,,,,30litres no too much? I for just kuku fuel my Vbug 1500series take waka the waka !!!! grin grin grin

I hear you sha. Just check for leaks and service the moto. But e be like say DIY dey catch you for body cheesy,

There is something a guy advertised on nairaland.com for fuel saving, I read online and users actually talked about 25% - 27% improvement in gas mileage (even for a big guzzler like the Hummer H2). I think you should give it a go.
Re: Sienna: Kunle: Gurus: Catalytic Converters: Beneficial To Remove? by thonerow(m): 8:50pm On Jun 19, 2010
Guys i know it's not proper to bring dis up in som1 else's post but i realy need help wit my 04 EOD, WENEVA MY AC IS ON IN TRAFFIC OR I BUMP INTO A DITCH MY AUTO GEAR JUST DISENGAGES & I'L NEED TO SWITCH OFF & ON THE CAR FOR IT TO WORK, MY STEERIN OIL IS LEAKIN THOUGH COULD IT BE DAT?
Re: Sienna: Kunle: Gurus: Catalytic Converters: Beneficial To Remove? by Onwan: 9:40pm On Jun 19, 2010
thonerow:

Guys i know it's not proper to bring dis up in som1 else's post but i realy need help wit my 04 EOD, WENEVA MY AC IS ON IN TRAFFIC OR I BUMP INTO A DITCH MY AUTO GEAR JUST DISENGAGES & I'L NEED TO SWITCH OFF & ON THE CAR FOR IT TO WORK, MY STEERIN OIL IS LEAKIN THOUGH COULD IT BE DAT?
From what you posted, there are two different problems you are having; the leakage from the power steering system (which could be a simple hose issueor a the pump) [b]AND [/b]the gear problem (which from what Im seeing is a common problem with the Honda).

I know someone who can look into your power steering problem and in the same workshop, they can get your gear looked into or serviced.
Re: Sienna: Kunle: Gurus: Catalytic Converters: Beneficial To Remove? by obua: 11:46pm On Jun 19, 2010
You are changing your plugs too often

Check the following
plug leads ie wires for signs of cut, check the resistance per/feet
Check that your aircleaner is okay and not choked
Re: Sienna: Kunle: Gurus: Catalytic Converters: Beneficial To Remove? by oblo(m): 6:15pm On Jun 21, 2010
Ok point taken ooooo, bt hmm my 30litres cry cry cry cry
Re: Sienna: Kunle: Gurus: Catalytic Converters: Beneficial To Remove? by Onwan: 7:33pm On Jun 21, 2010
@Oblo
Just one more thing - Try checking through your exhaust system thoroughly for leakages (holes); pipes, pot, especially the gaskets at the joints, they actually have a direct effect on the fuel consumption.

Cheers
Re: Sienna: Kunle: Gurus: Catalytic Converters: Beneficial To Remove? by thonerow(m): 8:44pm On Jun 21, 2010
@Onwan, tanx a lot, problem is i'm livin at far Benue-makurdi, plus a mechanic here says i need to replace my steerin box, and my gear box sitting, i'm stil confused as i heard its common & usualy d gear kit, pls help houz
Re: Sienna: Kunle: Gurus: Catalytic Converters: Beneficial To Remove? by Onwan: 9:22pm On Jun 21, 2010
@Thonerow
Actually, he might have traced the leakage to be from the steering box and he also has a point with the gear sitting (considering it happens when you hit a bump or run into a ditch). I reason with him quite well.
Re: Sienna: Kunle: Gurus: Catalytic Converters: Beneficial To Remove? by oblo(m): 7:13am On Jun 22, 2010
@ onwan

The exhaust bin no day leak o, ok i will double check, and God help that exhaust if i find any hole!!!!! angry angry! angry angry angryI will #@#$$%%%^^&&***((
Re: Sienna: Kunle: Gurus: Catalytic Converters: Beneficial To Remove? by kuntash: 10:37am On Jun 22, 2010
Good topic for the section-

30ltrs for a distance of 194km for a Golf is rather high, as against what the manufacturer says it can do.

from the calculation, you burnt a liter for every 6.5 km,

firstly, ve you been buying fuel from that Abeokuta fuel station?- did you observe your guage after the 30ltrs was poured into ur tank?

from your post, you are suspecting the catalytic converter as the cause of poor fuel mileage- b4 dis conclusion, are you noticing loss of power from your engine- (poor or slow response as you accelerate?)

your catalytic converter blocks easily when 1. your engine was smoking before (blue smoke) 2. whenever you steam (warm) your car in the morning, you dont steam it thoroughly or drive off as soon as its started. (condensed vapour can block the catalytic converter).

DIY- you can clean the air cleaner or replace when its due, confirm your spark plugs and make u try find the one wey come with the car if possible- (preferably that with double electrode)

I am damn curious and cautious on wastage wrt fuel on vehicles, I get approximately 310km from 28ltrs of fuel with a 1998 camry, (Lagos - Benin), when I drive steadily and softly on the throttle, I burn lesser than 28ltrs for same distance.

1st suggestion therefore- enter NNPC filling station, buy same 30 litrs and do same journey then revert. grin grin

all d best
Re: Sienna: Kunle: Gurus: Catalytic Converters: Beneficial To Remove? by oblo(m): 8:04am On Jun 24, 2010
kuntash:

Good topic for the section-

30ltrs for a distance of 194km for a Golf is rather high, as against what the manufacturer says it can do.

ABI!!! cry

from the calculation, you burnt a liter for every 6.5 km,

firstly, ve you been buying fuel from that Abeokuta fuel station?- did you observe your guage after the 30ltrs was poured into your tank?

Yep i did!! The guage went past half tank!![/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color]

from your post, you are suspecting the catalytic converter as the cause of poor fuel mileage- b4 dis conclusion, are you noticing loss of power from your engine- (poor or slow response as you accelerate?)

[color=#990000]Yea i think i do notice, It kinda drags when i step on the throttle

your catalytic converter blocks easily when 1. your engine was smoking before (blue smoke) 2. whenever you steam (warm) your car in the morning, you dont steam it thoroughly or drive off as soon as its started. (condensed vapour can block the catalytic converter).

Noted

DIY- you can clean the air cleaner or replace when its due, confirm your spark plugs and make u try find the one wey come with the car if possible- (preferably that with double electrode)

Wch one be double electrode again? undecided undecided

I am damn curious and cautious on wastage wrt fuel on vehicles, I get approximately 310km from 28ltrs of fuel with a 1998 camry, (Lagos - Benin), when I drive steadily and softly on the throttle, I burn lesser than 28ltrs for same distance.

How u take do am, I know jap cars are more fuel efficient but then they are less lighter than german machines! cool[/color][color=#990000]

1st suggestion therefore- enter NNPC filling station, buy same 30 litrs and do same journey then revert. grin grin

all d best

Journy comin up with fuel gotten from NNPC. Expect da fidbak,
[/color][color=#990000][color=#990000][/color]

Re: Sienna: Kunle: Gurus: Catalytic Converters: Beneficial To Remove? by oblo(m): 5:03pm On Jun 24, 2010
Still waiting for that journey,
Re: Sienna: Kunle: Gurus: Catalytic Converters: Beneficial To Remove? by oblo(m): 5:46pm On Jun 26, 2010
I have repeated the same journey ooo. The exact same journey . The same thing happened!!!!1 angry angry angry

So wetin next now? 30 LITRES TOO MUCH JARE!!!! embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Sienna: Kunle: Gurus: Catalytic Converters: Beneficial To Remove? by promise72(m): 6:36pm On Jun 26, 2010
oblo:

I have repeated the same journey ooo. The exact same journey . The same thing happened!!!!1 angry angry angry

So wetin next now? 30 LITRES TOO MUCH JARE!!!! embarassed embarassed embarassed

You are forgetting to say how many kilometers undecided

Its hard (if not pointless) to determine the efficiency of the car if we don't know the distance.
Re: Sienna: Kunle: Gurus: Catalytic Converters: Beneficial To Remove? by oblo(m): 7:38am On Jun 28, 2010
About 100 klm. undecided undecided
Re: Sienna: Kunle: Gurus: Catalytic Converters: Beneficial To Remove? by oblo(m): 7:31am On Jun 29, 2010
Soooooooooo wetin una wan tok do my moto again? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

(1) (Reply)

Pros And Cons Of A Honda Pilot 2006/2007 / Between Toyota Corrola Verso And Toyota Avensis Verso / Website To Check Vehicle Owner.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.