Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,074 members, 7,811,012 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:40 PM

A Short Course In Intellectual Self Defence - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Short Course In Intellectual Self Defence (545 Views)

Adeboye: Christians Don’t Need Guns For Self-Defence / Pastor E.A. Adeboye Denied Writing Any Letter On Self Defence / Bishop Oyedepo: "Self Defence Is Entrenched In The Constitution" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Short Course In Intellectual Self Defence by budaatum: 6:02pm On Jul 31, 2018
Re: A Short Course In Intellectual Self Defence by MuttleyLaff: 6:15pm On Jul 31, 2018
budaatum:
A Master List Of Logical Fallacies
The list will be incomplete without the local parlance "Shey o Mọ age mi ni?",
loosely translated meaning:
"Are you aware of my age at all?"

Implying:
"Don't argue with me, you aren't old enough to"

Or literally:
"Shut the Bleep up, who is your mate here"
Re: A Short Course In Intellectual Self Defence by vaxx: 6:24pm On Jul 31, 2018
MuttleyLaff:

Implying:

Or literally:
lol
Re: A Short Course In Intellectual Self Defence by budaatum: 7:58pm On Jul 31, 2018
MuttleyLaff:

Implying:

Or literally:

The following is close:

94. Paternalism: A serious fallacy of ethos, arbitrarily tut-tutting, dismissing or ignoring another's arguments or concerns as "childish" or "immature;" taking a condescending attitude of superiority toward opposing standpoints or toward opponents themselves. E.g., "Your argument against the war is so infantile. Try approaching the issue like an adult for a change," "I don't argue with children," or "Somebody has to be the grownup in the room, and it might as well be me. Here's why you're wrong..." Also refers to the sexist fallacy of dismissing a woman's argument because she is a woman, e.g., "Oh, it must be that time of the month, eh?" See also "Ad Hominem Argument" and "Tone Policing."
Re: A Short Course In Intellectual Self Defence by enilove(m): 8:10pm On Jul 31, 2018
budaatum:

The following is close:

94. Paternalism: A serious fallacy of ethos, arbitrarily tut-tutting, dismissing or ignoring another's arguments or concerns as "childish" or "immature;" taking a condescending attitude of superiority toward opposing standpoints or toward opponents themselves. E.g., "Your argument against the war is so infantile. Try approaching the issue like an adult for a change," "I don't argue with children," or "Somebody has to be the grownup in the room, and it might as well be me. Here's why you're wrong..." Also refers to the sexist fallacy of dismissing a woman's argument because she is a woman, e.g., "Oh, it must be that time of the month, eh?" See also "Ad Hominem Argument" and "Tone Policing."

What is the use , would that convert wrong to right?
Re: A Short Course In Intellectual Self Defence by MuttleyLaff: 8:34pm On Jul 31, 2018
budaatum:
The following is close:

94. Paternalism:
A serious fallacy of ethos, arbitrarily tut-tutting, dismissing or ignoring another's arguments or concerns as "childish" or "immature;"
taking a condescending attitude of superiority toward opposing standpoints or toward opponents themselves.
E.g., "Your argument against the war is so infantile.
Try approaching the issue like an adult for a change," "I don't argue with children,"
or "Somebody has to be the grownup in the room, and it might as well be me. Here's why you're wrong..."

Also refers to the sexist fallacy of dismissing a woman's argument because she is a woman, e.g., "Oh, it must be that time of the month, eh?"

See also "Ad Hominem Argument" and "Tone Policing."

enilove:
What is the use, would that convert wrong to right?
All is fair in love and war
Afterall a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do
Re: A Short Course In Intellectual Self Defence by enilove(m): 9:59pm On Jul 31, 2018
MuttleyLaff:

All is fair in love and war Afterall a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do
You are right.

(1) (Reply)

The Power Of Night Prayers (10) / How Colour Affects Spirituality / Tani Jesu Nse? Jesu Ni Alfa Ati Omega

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.