Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,083 members, 7,821,735 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:25 PM

Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil (3335 Views)

Nigerian Economy Grew By 2.84 Percent In Q3 / Fayose : Nigerian Economy May Collapse In 3 Months!! / GDP Growth Drops To 6.23% In Third Quarter –NBS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by ollypass: 2:11pm On Jun 20, 2010
well, hope the reforms don't take to long to becoming dividends for the already exhausted masses.
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by kobikwelu(m): 12:37am On Jun 21, 2010
@ topic,

on paper abi?

there is a basic general improvement in the general state of roads in the country (NOT ALL THE ROADS OOOOO-for you aggressive bulls)

but at least its a start,

patience
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by Onlytruth(m): 2:00am On Jun 21, 2010
paddy_lo:

Final time i am posting this Chart so u can get it into your thick skull. . olodo rabata
Its not everything u have to comment on. . stick to Politics,romance and Tribalism section  shocked cool

paddy_lo

I followed the argument between you and Beaf; it was interesting.

While I was going through your interesting statistical charts, the wise words of the late Dr Chuba Okadigbo during the second republic (when he was Shagari's adviser) quickly came to mind.

He said and I quote, "Statistics is like the bikini. What it reveals is interesting, but it is what it does not reveal that is intriguing".  grin grin

Could it be true that oil only contributes about 16% to the Nigerian GDP? I truly pray! Though practical things about
Nigeria seriously challenge that.

Can anyone show me statistics about federal government sources of revenues - total tax amount, sources of tax and rates of taxation?

If oil contributes more than any other sector in tax revenues, then it can be reasonably assumed that oil contributes more to the GDP; afterall, is the GDP existing in isolation of the FG taxation?

Critical thinking or analytical reasoning is required here to get to the truth.

I cannot be intimated or hoodwinked with statistics.

Heck, I can come up with mine!  cool cool cool
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by Crescentd(m): 7:48am On Jun 21, 2010
Onlytruth:

paddy_lo

While I was going through your interesting statistical charts, the wise words of the late Dr Chuba Okadigbo during the second republic (when he was Shagari's adviser) quickly came to mind.

He said and I quote, "Statistics is like the bikini. What it reveals is interesting, but it is what it does not reveal that is intriguing".  grin grin

Could it be true that oil only contributes about 16% to the Nigerian GDP? I truly pray! Though practical things about

Can anyone show me statistics about federal government sources of revenues - total tax amount, sources of tax and rates of taxation?

If oil contributes more than any other sector in tax revenues, then it can be reasonably assumed that oil contributes more to the GDP; afterall, is the GDP existing in isolation of the FG taxation?

I agree with this view. Can we find a way to verify this statistics? The same government puts unemployment rate at 17% which most of us disagree with. Like you said anybody can come up with a 'convenient' statistical figures.
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by tkb417(m): 8:55am On Jun 21, 2010
Interesting discourse between paddylo and Beaf. . . . Ill go with Paddylo on this one. . . . oil should be less than 20% of Nigerias GDP. . . . however, if we take away oil from the economy, all other components of GDP would have collapsed. . . Govt spending, private consumption etc. . .

are you for real

what did Beaf say that made sense to you?

@Paddy lo
good points:Now youre tending towards my beliefs gradually cheesy
im sure the only issue we have is SLS cheesy

@Onlytruth
whats ur point? the stats are shady or you dont believe the 7% rise in the economy
can you come up with ur stats to negate the story?
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by Ibime(m): 2:38pm On Jun 21, 2010
^^^A man grows corn for a living. Over the years he has sold many bushels of corn and used the money to buy property, car, TV etc.

An audit of the mans worth today may show that his worth is 60% property, 20% car, 4% TV. . . . and 16% corn!
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by ADint(m): 9:35pm On Jun 21, 2010
Onlytruth:

paddy_lo

The figures are indeed more or less correct. Government revenues are based predominantly on tax (and royalties). Tax is only due on profits made and not revenue. The oil industry generates very huge profits on its revenue and thus brings in a disproportionately high amount of tax revenues compared to other sectors of the economy. The agricultural sector in Nigeria that accounts for over 40% of the GDP barely just covers its cost, leaving a small pittance for the millions of small farmers and their families to live on; hence this sector produces very minimal tax revenues.

A good example would be Ford Motor Company and Microsoft:

Last year Ford had revenues of $118 billion and profits of $3 billion.
Microsoft in the same year had revenues of $58 billion and profits of $15 billion.

Microsoft with about half of Ford’s revenues produces 5 times the profits of Ford and subsequently would generate for the various US govts. about 5 times the tax revenues as Ford.

Nigeria’s oil industry in this instance can be likened to ‘Microsoft’ and the agricultural and other sectors ‘Ford’.
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by Onlytruth(m): 10:33pm On Jun 21, 2010
ADint:

The figures are indeed more or less correct. Government revenues are based predominantly on tax (and royalties). Tax is only due on profits made and not revenue. The oil industry generates very huge profits on its revenue and thus brings in a disproportionately high amount of tax revenues compared to other sectors of the economy. The agricultural sector in Nigeria that accounts for over 40% of the GDP barely just covers its cost, leaving a small pittance for the millions of small farmers and their families to live on; hence this sector produces very minimal tax revenues.

A good example would be Ford Motor Company and Microsoft:

Last year Ford had revenues of $118 billion and profits of $3 billion.
Microsoft in the same year had revenues of $58 billion and profits of $15 billion.

Microsoft with about half of Ford’s revenues produces 5 times the profits of Ford and subsequently would generate for the various US govts. about 5 times the tax revenues as Ford.

Nigeria’s oil industry in this instance can be likened to ‘Microsoft’ and the agricultural and other sectors ‘Ford’.

Thank you for attempting to answer this question, but I'm still not convinced. Here's why:

Normally, your analysis would hold true in a country with accurate and publicly available statistics, one which is normally collected at the point of taxation, once every year.

Here in the US for example, once every year, every "entity" -individuals and corporations, are legally mandated to file their annual income and taxation statement with the Internal revenue service (IRS). From the information collected, you can make a lot of findings about income and taxes nationally. Any entity that fails to file that statement, or gives false information is criminally held liable by the IRS. The last time I checked, there is no such thing in Nigeria.
So how did the government reach the conclusion that agriculture contributes more to the Nigerian GDP? What information or statistics support such findings? Is the information publicly available (someone published Obama's tax returns for 2007)?
I bet you that this agriculture hoax is part of the northern schemes to show that the north contributes more to Nigeria's GDP than oil. This is a lie. The lie follows the same pattern of other lies, eg. the north has more land mass, therefore more population. The north has more land mass therefore more agricultural production. The lie started with the pre-independence rigged census in favor of the north.
So, until someone shows me the billions of dollars that come out of agriculture in Nigeria, I remain deeply skeptical.
Show me a tax statement by the agriculture establishment.
I know that oil contributed up to $70 billion in 2006, can anyone tell me that agriculture contributed that much to the GDP? Again I doubt that!
We can even take inventory of all the oil industry infrastructure -assets and investments in Nigeria; why can't we do that for agriculture? Or is transparency alien to agriculture?
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by Nobody: 10:38pm On Jun 21, 2010
Trust me this is a huge lie. The economy actually contracted as against growing. God save Nigeria
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by Beaf: 12:43am On Jun 22, 2010
What worries me most about these latest Nigerian figures is the way they have jumped out of thin air like something invoked by TB Joshua!
Every body with a little sense knows for definite that Nigeria is a mono-product economy. Just a couple of years ago, it was known that oil accounted for 90%+ of our GDP. So what happened that its suddenly 16% percent, when did we rapidly diversify our economy and why did someone forget to inform the World? I ask that, because we are still a mono-product economy, indeed the title of the current thread makes it plain as day; "Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil".
And to think I was of the opinion that Yar Adua was called Baba Go Slow, because absolutely nothing was happening! Not knowing that economic diversification was rocketing ahead, in fact while Yar Adua slept his way through 2.5 years, the economy simply reacted and diversified! Wow!

The growth of our GDP doubled in a year from oil alone. . . At 16? Very strange! Maybe the next miracle indeed!

Every authority seems to have their own figures for the percentage of oil in Nigeria's GDP, eg CIA 's  the World Factbook kindly puts it at about 50%. We know it is much more. Someone is actually funny enough to claim that agriculture acounts for 42% of our GDP; I am yet to see money from yam sales being distributed in Abuja. I am yet to see the smiling farmers from Kafanchan or Obolo-Afor; or maybe the sudden increase in their contribution to the Nigerian economy somehow doesn't translate to more money in their pockets.

We don't even know how many Nigerians there are (as distinct from goats and cows, which have been valid statistics in each of our cencus's to date).
Maybe we will soon have strategic yam reserves, rather than the current strategic oil reserves. grin grin grin grin

Rubbish!
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by Ibime(m): 1:17am On Jun 22, 2010
Strategic yam reserves!!!!  grin grin grin

Does anyone have Nigerias historical GDP chart to hand?
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by paddylo1(m): 1:19am On Jun 22, 2010

again u are confusing issues.  ,

USA GDP is $14 Trillion dollars

In yr 2009 USA Tax reciepts was only $2Trillion dollars

so taxes or Govt spending does not equal GDP. . .Nigerians are so funny
u guys instinctively focus on Govt anytime the economy is mentioned. .

The barber,Small scale trader,mechanic,Farmer and so on have nothing to do with Govt spending but are a part of your GDP
Just like in the USA,services form 70% of GDP,Exports is only 5% or so. .
In our case exports(which is 90% oil),constitutes 16% of GDP. .why is it so hard for u cats to understand

I will make it simple. . GDP is the total value of the Goods and Services Produced in an Economy in 1 yr Measured in Dollars
Oil production is just a part of it.  .and a small part at that. .
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by paddylo1(m): 1:21am On Jun 22, 2010
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by paddylo1(m): 1:29am On Jun 22, 2010
@Beaf

u are simply too daft for words. .

No wonder they claim most Nigerian graduates are unemployable. .

sigh. .
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by sjeezy8: 1:35am On Jun 22, 2010
Nawa for you people anyone saying Nigeria gdp is majority Oil doesnt know the MEANING of GDP.

now how many of you people have access to the Oil that you guys are yarning about?
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by paddylo1(m): 1:43am On Jun 22, 2010
@Paddy lo
good points:Now youre tending towards my beliefs gradually
im sure the only issue we have is SLS

SLS will win me over after he set up AMCON and tidy up the mess he helped engineer
However he has been keeping quiet lately. .and that is good enough for me. .
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by sjeezy8: 1:58am On Jun 22, 2010

[size=14pt]Sanusi: N140bn Agric Facility Dormant[/size]

Wednesday, 02 June 2010 03:20 Thisday   
Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Mallam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, said yesterday that out of the about N200 billion earmarked to be disbursed as agricultural loans to farmers in the country, only N60b have been utilized two years after.

The CBN had in the first quarter of last year created N200 billion Commercial Agricultural Credit Scheme (CACS), in collaboration with the Federal Government. Despite the increase in the number of the participating banks from two to five, many of the target beneficiaries could not access the fund for various reasons including bureaucracy and their inability to meet the conditions of the individual banks.
[size=13pt]Sanusi said agriculture was 42 per cent of GDP of the country and if the sector had just 20 per cent increase in the GDP, it would have improved the country’s GDP considerably higher than at any point in the last 10 years.
Speaking yesterday at the third edition of the annual Partnership on Trade, Industry and Commerce (POTICO 111) organized by the US Embassy in Nigeria, First Bank Plc and Bank of Industry and facilitated by Rimsom Associates, the CBN governor declared that elsewhere on the continent, agriculture was a top priority unlike in Nigeria.
[/size]He said for there to be a sustainable development, there must be focus on the value chain that agriculture creates and he gave example of the Zimbabwean farmers brought by the Kwara State government to buttress his point.
He said within a short time of their activities in Kwara State, a starch making firm in a South-eastern state and a dairy firm in Lagos rely on the products of the Zimbabwean farmers to run their industries.

“This kind of value chain is what provides finance. A bank like First Bank, UBA or any bank would easily lend money to a farmer, who has a target market in a multinational corporation that has guaranteed his products. That increases the demand for cattle, it increases the demand for animal feed and all along that value chain, it creates jobs and incomes. So, focusing on the value chain is the greatest way of iimproving incomes and addressing poverty,” Sanusi said.

He said 80 per cent of tomatoes produced in Kadara in Kano State by local farmers are lost because they are storage facilities and no decent transportation system to move the products.

He said it was not a problem of the banks not lending money to agriculture, but the issue is how to address the risks in agricultural loans because the banks would still not lend if they were not convinced that the farmers would come back.
Sanusi said he met with top bankers at the weekend and they have put on the table what he called the Nigerian Incentive-based Risk Sharing System for Agriculture, which he proposes to be a bulwark against defaults in the sector.

He said they would set up a number of guarantees that would enable the small scale farmers to access agricultural loans.
In addition to this, Sanusi said they have also proposed an agricultural insurance that would allow insurance firms assess risks of the sector.
However, despite the complaints of the sector, he said there were many companies in Nigeria today that are borrowing at single digit rates.

He gave the example of the Dangote Group, which he said have facilities of about N110b from the banks at 8.5 per cent, for which he added a grateful President of the Group, Alhaji Aliko Dangote has called to thank him.
He added that overall, interest rates have crashed courtesy of CBN’s  policy that very high rates are inconsistent with a sustainable development.

He said the high cost of the overheads in the banking sector owing to deplorable infrastructure was responsible for the high interest rates in order for them to meet up.
Sanusi said they have been advising banks to pool together in providing some services so as to reduce overheads adding that the focus in the last one year has been how to make lending profitable to sustain a post-crisis economy.
Earlier in her opening remarks, United States Ambassador to Nigeria, Dr. Robin Sanders, said her country was willing to assist Nigeria in her quest to attain food security.

Sanders noted that previous years dialogue have been successful because it has increased the participation of small scale entreprises in Nigeria in the Africa Growth and Opportunity Act (AGOA).
She said the initiative has facilitated a number of agro-allied firms in the country and it held a lot of promise to Nigeriens with entrepreneurial skills to realize their potential.

Also speaking, Managing Director of Bank of Industry, Mrs. Evelyn Oputu said one of the deliverables of the annual dialogue was the opening of the AGOA office at the BOI office complex in Marina.
Oputu said the AGOA office trains about 50 Nigerians monthly in various fields of entrepreneurial skills.
In his own speech, the Group Managing Director of First Bank Plc, Mr. Stephen Onasanya said the problem with agricultural loans in the country was that once government money was branded, it would not be easy getting it back.

He said First Bank Agricultural products are labeled at 9 per cent, but that the problem of ignorance was inhibiting the small-holder farmers from assessing its facility.
However, he said there are facilities for peasant farmers as well as fresh graduates, who have interest in taking to agriculture adding that there is a large liquidity where farmers borrow from the banks.

Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by Beaf: 1:59am On Jun 22, 2010
paddy_lo:

@Beaf

u are simply too daft for words. .

No wonder they claim most Nigerian graduates are unemployable. .

sigh. .

. . .And you are a waste! For someone who claims to have a financial degree, you are rather bone headed about economics. I will help you a bit here; take the google link you posted (here https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-465297.64.html#msg6258908) and match it against crude oil prices. Do you you notice that it very strangely matches the rise and fall of crude prices? Olodo!

Basket brained "economist". . .Abi you still de do apprentice? grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by Onlytruth(m): 2:06am On Jun 22, 2010
paddy_lo:

again u are confusing issues.  ,

[b]USA GDP is $14 Trillion dollars

In yr 2009 USA Tax reciepts was only $2Trillion dollars

so taxes or Govt spending does not equal GDP. . .Nigerians are so funny
u guys instinctively focus on Govt anytime the economy is mentioned. .

The barber,Small scale trader,mechanic,Farmer and so on have nothing to do with Govt spending but are a part of your GDP
Just like in the USA,services form 70% of GDP,Exports is only 5% or so.  .
In our case exports(which is 90% oil),constitutes 16% of GDP.  .why is it so hard for u cats to understand

I will make it simple. . GDP is the total value of the Goods and Services Produced in an Economy in 1 yr Measured in Dollars
Oil production is just a part of it.  .and a small part at that. . [/b]

Nobody equated GDP with tax revenues. At least I didn't. However, notice that the US example you posted made perfect sense: tax is approximately at 14% of the GDP. You can decide to take a closer look and to isolate sectors by their contribution to the tax revenues. That would make a more interesting finding!

My argument is that there is no other single sector that contributes more to Nigeria's tax revenue (and by implication GDP) than the oil industry.
And if that is the case, who cares about what other sectors contribute, especially since they are not reliably verifiable?
The money being shared by the government is the issue. Where are they coming from?

Is it oil or agriculture? Methinks it is oil.  cool cool cool
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by paddylo1(m): 2:36am On Jun 22, 2010
Nobody equated GDP with tax revenues. At least I didn't. However, notice that the US example you posted made perfect sense: tax is approximately at 14% of the GDP. You can decide to take a closer look and to isolate sectors by their contribution to the tax revenues. That would make a more interesting finding!

My argument is that there is no other single sector that contributes more to Nigeria's tax revenue (and by implication GDP) than the oil industry.
And if that is the case, who cares about what other sectors contribute, especially since they are not reliably verifiable?
The money being shared by the government is the issue. Where are they coming from?

Is it oil or agriculture? Methinks it is oil

U are again focusing on Public sector Finances/Spending and using it as a proxy for the whole economy
what if i Gave u a different statistic

Nigerias annual Budget this Fiscal yr is only N4.3Trillion

but our Local currency GDP is N31Trillion. . . .Pls see IMF link below

[url]http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2010/01/weodata/weorept.aspx?sy=2000&ey=2010&scsm=1&ssd=1&sort=country&ds=.&br=1&pr1.x=67&pr1.y=7&c=694&s=NGDP_RPCH%2CNGDP%2CNGDPD&grp=0&a=[/url]

See its still similar to the USA situation u mention above.  .it comes out to 13.8% of GDP
i.e. . .4.3/31 X 100. . . .
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by Beaf: 2:46am On Jun 22, 2010
^
Any word from you yet on our GDP graph looking exactly like the World oil price map?
. . .Or should we include the pics so everyone can see for themselves, eh? Mr "economist"? grin
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by Justcash(m): 4:53am On Jun 22, 2010
GDP is known as Gross domestic product

GDP of a country is known as the Gross Domestic product of a country (Note the meaning of [b]GROSS, DOMESTIC and PRODUCT
)

GDP=Y

Y is the National income of a country. It is determined by aggregate supply and aggregate demand of goods in a country.

If GDP=Y, it means that gross domestic product of a country is the national income of that country.

Note that GDP =Y

GDP's equation is  Y=CD+I+G+(x-M)

The meaning of the equation is that  National income is made up of the sum of
1 Domestic consumption
2 Investment (FDI +Domestic investments (Both large scale and small scale))
4 Governments expenditure
5 export minus import (Subtract Nigeria's import from it's export, then you'll know why oil  contributes only 16%)

America's Economy survives on Domestic consumption. The rate at which Americans spend to consume determines (to a large extent) how their economy performs. It is not about population size though, because China depends on export rate for the growth of their economy. Ironically, a large % of their exports is mostly dependent on the domestic consumption ability of the United states (This is why they keep quarreling without action) . Japan's economy is more dependent on Investments, which are exported mostly. They are also very dependent on the domestic consumption ability of the united states. This explains why it is very difficult to ignore the economic importance of the United states in the world.
Government's expenditure (Spending) is also a major factor that determines the performance of the Gross domestic products of a country. Remember that Obama borrowed a huge amount from China to stimulate their economy during the economic downturn that was triggered off by the Mortgage Sub-prime crises. That is known as a "Counter-cyclical" spending. Put simply, it is government's expenditure to bring an economy back to life.

Note that despite the GDP of the United states, they still experience a constant Budget deficit.

Nigeria's GDP includes all these components. If the GDP of Nigeria is increasing, it means that our economy is actually doing fine. Note the use of "Economy" not "Nigerians"
Nigerians will only move up with the growth of the Economy if the government plays it's regulatory role well, and ensures that the private sector is encouraged to contribute to the economy. (This is why I think we need someone like Fashola as president. He seems to be the only governor that understands these rudiments. He is following them cautiously, religiously and impressively)
Even in China, Investors are encouraged (Given a good reason to invest). They did this through providing all the basic amenities,  maintaining cheap labor and keeping the Yuan remimbi (Their currency) low, through pegging it to the USD, and maintaining it vigorously (Though I heard that they want to float it now to ease inflation and trade wars with other countries)

In essence, if the Nigerian government does it's home work well, Nigeria will wake from her deep slumber. Note that Governmental spending does not mean that they are doing their homework well. Provision of the right conditions with the money spent is the main issue.

Nigerias GDP would have been higher if Sanusi did not act like a sensless James bond. He should have applied a more evolutionary means to keep investors confident (acted like a communist in a society that claims to be capitalist). The Pull out of Funds due to the sudden revelation by the CBN audit committee was terrible on the economy. The subsequent mass sack of citizens was not also good on the economy in terms of tax and consumption (Though it had an unnoticable effect on the economy)
Investments in the telecoms sector since the present democracy started had a positive impact on the economy.
Unemployment, lack of basic amenities, lack of good image, curruption, difficulty of doing business and irresponsible governance are things that will continue to hamper Nigeria's realisation of her true potentials if they are not corrected.

Unfortunately, these things are easy to correct. There is just no political will to do them in Nigeria. Tribalism is more important to Nigerians than general development undecided

I just thought I should clarify the issue of what GDP means[/b]

No links, I wrote this.
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by Eziachi: 6:39am On Jun 22, 2010
I am not an economist, neither an expert on the subject, but what I want to know is how this figure come about in country where there is no statistics or data about just anything?
Why is it that the economy of powerful nations always seem to grow between 1.5-2.5% and then we are told the likes of Nigeria is close to double figure and they still get aids from those their economy grows very little? I read recently that Tanzania's own economy is growing by 8%too.
This figure always seems to come from IMF and their other rogue lenders. Whether it has to be that they want to be paid more by their creditors? Just asking
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by ADint(m): 7:14am On Jun 22, 2010
Export earnings and Govt. revenues are a function of the overall GDP of the country. You can likened GDP to 'Turnover' i.e. the Turnover of every sector of Nigeria's economy. When Nigeria is referred to as a 'Mono-product' economy, this refers to our exports NOT our overall GDP. Canada produces around 3.3 million barrels of oil a day - a million more that Nigeria, but this represents less than 5% of GDP!  

The disparity in income (and consequently tax revenues) between the oil sector and other sectors in Nigeria is borne out of the fact that other sectors, even though having much larger 'turnover' than the oil industry, are not all being run effectively and efficiently, being characterised by high costs and overheads, low productivity leading to very low or nil 'profitability' - in fact losses in a lot of cases. The agricultural sector produces a huge turnover, but this is spread amongst millions of small scale and peasant farmers who constitute a bulk of Nigeria's labour force, around 65% in this case, meaning the income then earned by these farmers barely reaches the tax-free allowance that every Nigerian is entitled to - so what exactly would the govt. tax here?

For govt. tax revenues from other sectors to increase and suppass those from the oil industry, these other sectors have to be overhauled to enable them operate efficiently and optimally, with infrastructure and power being given priority treatment. This will lead to us producing far in excess of domestic needs, substantially increase 'profitability' of these sectors, enable us to expand our 'portfolio or basket' of export goods and services, boost our foreign exchange earnings and make Nigeria a 'multi-product economy' and a significant trading nation.
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by Justcash(m): 8:29am On Jun 22, 2010
Eziachi:

I am not an economist, neither an expert on the subject, but what I want to know is how this figure come about in country where there is no statistics or data about just anything?
[b]Why is it that the economy of powerful nations always seem to grow between 1.5-2.5% and then we are told the likes of Nigeria is close to double figure and they still get aids from those their economy grows very little? [/b]I read recently that Tanzania's own economy is growing by 8%too.
This figure always seems to come from IMF and their other rogue lenders. Whether it has to be that they want to be paid more by their creditors? Just asking

When a country meets it's "Optimum" level of economic growth and development, some degree of "saturation" sets in. "Saturation" is marked by the urge to connect another country's economy to a host country's economy (in the form of outward FDI or trade) to sustain growth which has slowed down. This connection is naturally ensured due to several factors which includes the intensity of economic competition in an economy. This normally happens in very matured economies. When such happens, GDP growth slows down because of loss of investments, growth in unemployment, decrease in In tax revenue, increase in import and reduction in government expenditure due to decrease in national income (Some countries like the united states normally resort to borrowing from other countries).
A good example is the exodus of  Several American companies to the Asian economies, especially China after they liberalized their political system, in search of competitive edge. Alot of American companies moved from the United states and created enormous GDP growth in China. It is not that these companies don't pay taxes to the United states. They do. But the degree at which they do may be restricted by the host country.

However, a matured economy is normally marked by slow growth compared to countries that have not reached their "Optimum" potentials, like Nigeria.

For example, if the electricity problem is solved in Nigeria, Nigeria's GDP will naturally grow, because more companies will flow in to take advantage of that, our cheap labor and population size. As companies flow in, especially manufacturing companies, they reduce the growth of the countries they existed in before.
It is like buying and selling. When someone comes to your shop to buy something, someone else has lost the person as a customer. It is now your ability to make the person to remain a loyal customer that matters. In business, While you become rich, someone else is getting poor. Liken it to countries economies.

As Nigeria puts the right things in place, inflow of FDI, domestic investments etc increases. This stimulates a huge GDP growth. While in Countries with saturated economies, they struggle, using business diplomacy to sustain a favorable level of GDP growth. Sometimes, they resort to outright exploitation of countries with insensitive leaders like Nigeria. I read that when Korean companies get construction contracts in Nigeria, they take the production of construction materials back to Korea to produce, there by sustaining industries and creating jobs in Korea at the detriment of Nigeria. They export these materials, while Nigeria imports them, then they use a % of their workforce to install them. That is what we call 419 at an international diplomatic level. The maga in this case is Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by Beaf: 12:13pm On Jun 22, 2010
They say, a toad doesn't jump in the daylight for nothing. . .
This sudden bump up for agriculture portends something. Could the missing link be the 200 billion agric fertilizer loan money? Questions!! cool

How can a country that spends $3 billion annually on the importation of the most basic food items, claim that 42% of its GDP is due to the very same agriculture? In other words, rather than enrich the country, we get poorer by $3 billion US every year from agriculture. So what sort of voodoo math would create a contribution of 42% to our GDP?
My simple take on this sh*t is that someone is manufacturing figures to cover up "something" in the near future.

Nigeria, land of magic. http://www.africanagricultureblog.com/2007/11/why-nigeria-imports-3-billion-of-food.html
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by Eziachi: 9:06pm On Jun 22, 2010
Justcash:

When a country meets it's "Optimum" level of economic growth and development, some degree of "saturation" sets in. "Saturation" is marked by the urge to connect another country's economy to a host country's economy (in the form of outward FDI or trade) to sustain growth which has slowed down. This connection is naturally ensured due to several factors which includes the intensity of economic competition in an economy. This normally happens in very matured economies. When such happens, GDP growth slows down because of loss of investments, growth in unemployment, decrease in In tax revenue, increase in import and reduction in government expenditure due to decrease in national income (Some countries like the united states normally resort to borrowing from other countries).
A good example is the exodus of Several American companies to the Asian economies, especially China after they liberalized their political system, in search of competitive edge. Alot of American companies moved from the United states and created enormous GDP growth in China. It is not that these companies don't pay taxes to the United states. They do. But the degree at which they do may be restricted by the host country.

However, a matured economy is normally marked by slow growth compared to countries that have not reached their "Optimum" potentials, like Nigeria.

For example, if the electricity problem is solved in Nigeria, Nigeria's GDP will naturally grow, because more companies will flow in to take advantage of that, our cheap labor and population size. As companies flow in, especially manufacturing companies, they reduce the growth of the countries they existed in before.
It is like buying and selling. When someone comes to your shop to buy something, someone else has lost the person as a customer. It is now your ability to make the person to remain a loyal customer that matters. In business, While you become rich, someone else is getting poor. Liken it to countries economies.

As Nigeria puts the right things in place, inflow of FDI, domestic investments etc increases. This stimulates a huge GDP growth. While in Countries with saturated economies, they struggle, using business diplomacy to sustain a favorable level of GDP growth. Sometimes, they resort to outright exploitation of countries with insensitive leaders like Nigeria. I read that when Korean companies get construction contracts in Nigeria, they take the production of construction materials back to Korea to produce, there by sustaining industries and creating jobs in Korea at the detriment of Nigeria. They export these materials, while Nigeria imports them, then they use a % of their workforce to install them. That is what we call 419 at an international diplomatic level. The maga in this case is Nigeria.

Thanks for the analysis, but can we have it in simple but meaningful language as my question persist on why IMF tend to tell us that economy of the likes of Nigeria is growing by almost two digits and big nation by as little as 1% and they still give economic aid to the likes of Nigeria and Tanzania? Try again if you must.
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by 4Play(m): 9:30pm On Jun 22, 2010
Oil is only a relatively small part of our GDP. However, it's a significant source of Govt revenue and foreign exchange. It has an out-sized impact on the economy because it's the only part of the economy that is heavily taxed and it's our main export.
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by xterra2(m): 9:45pm On Jun 22, 2010
Beaf:

What worries me most about these latest Nigerian figures is the way they have jumped out of thin air like something invoked by TB Joshua!
Every body with a little sense knows for definite that Nigeria is a mono-product economy. Just a couple of years ago, it was known that oil accounted for 90%+ of our GDP. So what happened that its suddenly 16% percent, when did we rapidly diversify our economy and why did someone forget to inform the World? I ask that, because we are still a mono-product economy, indeed the title of the current thread makes it plain as day; "Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil".
And to think I was of the opinion that Yar Adua was called Baba Go Slow, because absolutely nothing was happening! Not knowing that economic diversification was rocketing ahead, in fact while Yar Adua slept his way through 2.5 years, the economy simply reacted and diversified! Wow!

The growth of our GDP doubled in a year from oil alone. . . At 16? Very strange! Maybe the next miracle indeed!

Every authority seems to have their own figures for the percentage of oil in Nigeria's GDP, eg CIA 's  the World Factbook kindly puts it at about 50%. We know it is much more. Someone is actually funny enough to claim that agriculture acounts for 42% of our GDP; I am yet to see money from yam sales being distributed in Abuja. I am yet to see the smiling farmers from Kafanchan or Obolo-Afor; or maybe the sudden increase in their contribution to the Nigerian economy somehow doesn't translate to more money in their pockets.

We don't even know how many Nigerians there are (as distinct from goats and cows, which have been valid statistics in each of our cencus's to date).
Maybe we will soon have strategic yam reserves, rather than the current strategic oil reserves. grin grin grin grin

Rubbish!
U always hate Yaradua leave hom to rest in peace, Okay Baba go slow is still better than your Jonathan bas.stad
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by Beaf: 9:57pm On Jun 22, 2010
xterra2:

U always hate Yaradua leave hom to rest in peace, Okay Baba go slow is still better than your Jonathan bas.stad

I'm a bastar'd because I mentioned Yar Adua? shocked
Are some of you people mentally damaged or what? Do you think Yar Adua was the President of your family alone?
I bet you mastur.bate to Yar Adua's picture, don't you? Id!ot.

I pity you and people that think like you.
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by xterra2(m): 10:01pm On Jun 22, 2010
Beaf:

They say, a toad doesn't jump in the daylight for nothing. . .
This sudden bump up for agriculture portends something. Could the missing link be the 200 billion agric fertilizer loan money? Questions!! cool

How can a country that spends $3 billion annually on the importation of the most basic food items, claim that 42% of its GDP is due to the very same agriculture? In other words, rather than enrich the country, we get poorer by $3 billion US every year from agriculture. So what sort of voodoo math would create a contribution of 42% to our GDP?
My simple take on this excreta is that someone is manufacturing figures to cover up "something" in the near future.

Nigeria, land of magic. http://www.africanagricultureblog.com/2007/11/why-nigeria-imports-3-billion-of-food.html
Yeah we sure do US spend 420 billion ($2.6 billion-rough estimate) to import just coffee (lazy people) and to the 200bn loan recently government announced how much was collected i forgot exactly, But in Kaduna if you are coming from the ariport into the main city what will ypu see HECTARES of farmland, i know someone there i took a visit and he told me(us-didnt go alone) that he collected N100 million loan and someone to collected 150 million same location
See no matter what,we MUST import food or food items though not $3billion, All countries import food and we that like to chop too much we must
Everyone thinks our Economy or GDP is based on oil, well its not,b4 oil was found we had the BEST tome in Nigeria, And Oil became a Curse to us you may say
Re: Nigerian Economy Grew 7.23% In First Quarter On Oil by xterra2(m): 10:05pm On Jun 22, 2010
Beaf:

I'm a bastar'd because I mentioned Yar Adua? shocked
Are some of you people mentally damaged or what? Do you think Yar Adua was the President of your family alone?
I bet you mastur.bate to Yar Adua's picture, don't you? Id!ot.

I pity you and people that think like you.
Ahh i never called you a bast, ard person see my comment and review
I called Jonathan a bas.tard NOT you,,he is a Fxckin Big retarded Gay Bas, tard
I HARDLY insult here if u see my post
And yaradua is FAR BETTER than thief goodluck we can argue about that if you so wish

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Software Engineer Faults Inec’s N74bn Budget For Voter Registration / Jonathan, Tambuwal Congratulates Mimiko / Lagosians Scramble For Fashola's Fanta as Gov Leaves Rail Track Ceremony (PICS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.