Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,373 members, 7,812,093 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:00 AM

Her Last Night 2 - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Her Last Night 2 (314 Views)

My Last Night In Lagos / Dark Night 2 (short Story) / No Valentine Boo, I Cried Myself To Sleep Last Night (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Her Last Night 2 by betwix(f): 10:18pm On Aug 04, 2018
Her eyes strolled to Joy Bassey. The girl wasn't as troubled as the others. She saw her resting on the wall with her mouth moving steadily. Something wasn't right about her actions. She probably was mumbling something. Suddenly she saw Joy jerk. Rukky's heart reacted. Within seconds Joy was running towards Rukky. Rukky froze. She didn't know how to react, her tiny legs refused to run, she saw her whole life flash before her eyes like it was the end. Every attention turned to Joy, the loud prayers had dropped as the distraction was presented at their faces. Joy stopped halfway across the corridor's dry gutter, bent forward and spat. It was blood. Joy put her head up and looked straight at Rukky. Rukky shook and withdrew backwards, she could hear persons saying "Joy vomited blood." As she withdrew, the hostel gate opened aggressively giving a loud bang on the wall, little girls screamed as they fled from the hostel's gate to the other extreme of the corridor, Rukky wished she could disappear, she wished she wasn't included in this movie. She made sure she stayed deep in the midst of the other children, also making sure she was far from Joy, something told her that wasn't really Joy, same way madam fruits didn't seem to be herself. Was something possessing these persons? The prayers had turned to loud screams from frightened children.
"I can see her" Rukky heard loudly in their midst. She searched for the speaker.
Room J's door creaked.
"She just entered room J" the same voice said.
Rukky was beginning to guess who could be speaking, Busayo Okunola. She didn't like how she felt, but it was better than being dead, well she wouldn't really know as she's never been dead. Everyone pushed at everyone, no one wanted to be seen but hidden. The fear in every heart was beginning to pray again. Rukky looked at her wristwatch, it was 12:24a.m, nobody seem to be sleepy. She felt all these were too much trauma for her age. Everyone looked towards the hostel's gate and room J, the room was just beside the gate. They didn't know what to expect. They all watched while muttering prayers to save their lives. Some had painted images at the gate area, Busayo still said she could see her. The fear was so thick they all shivered. Faint footsteps dropped on their ear drums from outside the gate. Rukky felt like she was fainting.
"There she is" Rukky muttered. A shadowy figure walked through the hostel gate. Tiny screams shot at the "whoever." The figure shuddered, halted, looked behind, saw nothing, then fired down towards the children like angry bird. It was Aunty Casey, Rukky's house mistress, She had been woken up by the continuous screams from the hostel.
"What is the meaning of all these" she shouted. Anybody could hear the anger speaking.
"I cannot sleep because I have children in the hostel?"
Senior Bukola approached her and explained all that was happening. It added fuel to her anger.
"Get out of this corridor and into your rooms"
It echoed. Children wanted to obey, the knew they needed to obey, but as they dispersed, everyone facing their rooms, Aunty Casey could see that the population was not reducing from the corridor, it had only scattered. They stood at their doors, painted an image of madam fruit in their rooms waiting for them, nobody desired to be taken by being the first to get inside.
"Will you all get inside" Aunty Casey screamed facing Rukky's roommates. They all pushed at each other until someone was forced in while others followed behind.

Rukky stood at the centre of the room. She was tired, her body couldn't take the stress anymore, she felt sick. She watched her roommates push their bunks together with the aim of sleeping in groups. Her fears had not given way, she asked if she could join in and the little girls rejected the offer. They didn't want to be mistaken for Rukky in their sleep. She understood, she had to face her friend alone, after all no one sent her to make friends with witches, she was obviously paying for all the free mangoes. She had to pick up courage that all was just an imagination. "I can see her" echoed in her head, could Busayo really see her? She got on her bed, with the house check still on, she had to be ready for the worst. She missed the comfort of her bed, It felt good to be on it, but she didn't want to feel too relaxed. She heard her roommates whispering to one another, she longed for a new day. If she survives this one, a million things will change. She tried closing her eyes, but she painted images of madam fruit standing beside her and her eyes would open widely, hoping to catch someone. It couldn't continue for long, no one cheats nature.

Rukky woke up, the memories of the night was like a dream, she felt life had given her another chance, it wasn't her last night after all. The school's Matron sent for her, she found herself in the hospital outside school. It was announced she had high fever. She wasn't sure what they meant by that. So all wasn't real? Was she really seeing things the previous day? Joy Bassey told authorities she bit her tongue hard while chewing gum, spitting blood was the result. Rukky said nothing, who was she to counter anybody, especially what a grown up doctor has said. Monday came along and her mates still had the stories in their heads and tongues. A small group of JSS1 girls had a plan to confront madam fruit. They walked with their tiny legs towards her shop with bibles in hand but she wasn't there. The next day she wasn't either, the whole week went by and madam fruit didn't show up. Never again did they set eyes on the tiny woman. Never again.

(1) (Reply)

I Don't Think Anyone Can Sell Books Without Being A Nomad - Femi Morgan / My Abstract Love / I Need Writers Who Can Create Quizzes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.