Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,218 members, 7,825,818 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 12:34 AM

Eagles Must Apply Pressure Says Christian Chukwu - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Eagles Must Apply Pressure Says Christian Chukwu (2458 Views)

Christian Chukwu - "Super Eagles Are Inexperienced" / Christian Chukwu - "Super Eagles Are Inexperienced" / Kanu, Utaka, Better Than Drogba - Christian Chukwu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Eagles Must Apply Pressure Says Christian Chukwu by honeric01(m): 9:58pm On Jun 19, 2010
Eagles must apply pressure'

Posted: 2010-06-19 21:58

Nigeria legend Christian Chukwu has urged the Super Eagles to apply more pressure on their opponents when they lose the ball.

Two losses from two have left the Eagles on the brink of elimination, but victory over South Korea could still see the team pull their World Cup chestnuts out of the fire.

To do this, Chukwu says they need to stop allowing their opponents time and space on the ball.

“That is the major fault we have. We give a lot of space to our opponents to operate; we don't press them. We must press.

“And when we have the ball, we are not mobile. We don’t move into space to receive balls. So if they come out to play, they have to be mobile. They must all press at the same time to get the ball and go on the counter-attack.”

That was not the only problem Chukwu, who coached the Super Eagles from 2002 to 2005, identified in the team.

“Cohesion is lacking. They don’t have confidence in themselves. We can't keep the ball and in a tournament of this nature, and if you cannot hold the ball you are finished. We cannot make two or three passes without the opponent intercepting the ball.”

Despite that, Chukwu says he is confident the team has the ability to defeat South Korea in their final group game.

“It is going to be a herculean task, but if they are determined to do it, they will do it. I know them individually and collectively and I know what they can do. It is left for them to come out and say they will do it and they will.”

http://kickoffnigeria.com/news/16229/eagles-must-apply-pressure.php
Re: Eagles Must Apply Pressure Says Christian Chukwu by OvieE: 1:01am On Jun 20, 2010
Please make ona let me hear something.
Re: Eagles Must Apply Pressure Says Christian Chukwu by 817: 1:21am On Jun 20, 2010
Chukwu dey talk grammar wey dis boys(abi old men) no fit perform. Lef matter water don already pass garri, maybe we go use the advice for 2014 WC. As far as I concern this one don expire
Re: Eagles Must Apply Pressure Says Christian Chukwu by minto(m): 1:38am On Jun 20, 2010
Let's keep our faith alive and hope for a better performance next Tuesday or have we all forgotten that miracle in Damman?
Re: Eagles Must Apply Pressure Says Christian Chukwu by 817: 1:56am On Jun 20, 2010
The Miracle in Damman was one of the finest moments of our football, but that team had quality, character and a can do spirit. Unfortunately this team are a bunch of average hyped up players with low self confidence and therefore cannot produce the atmosphere for miracles
Re: Eagles Must Apply Pressure Says Christian Chukwu by member479760: 2:42am On Jun 20, 2010
Mr. Chukwu dey talk. where he dey since? this game no bi do or die, let him come out with something reasonable toward 2014.
Re: Eagles Must Apply Pressure Says Christian Chukwu by Rastamann: 4:09am On Jun 20, 2010
Which kind pressure? Abegi make Largerbeer chose better people to play the game instead of using quota system for him selection.
Re: Eagles Must Apply Pressure Says Christian Chukwu by mensdept: 4:10am On Jun 20, 2010
Good statements from Chukwu, and I think he really was our last coach that had a pretty descent team, before he too was sacked after 2 years on the job.
Re: Eagles Must Apply Pressure Says Christian Chukwu by uyakachi(m): 4:29am On Jun 20, 2010
I THNK C. CHUKWU IS RHT , WHEN U LOOK AT THE WAY GHANA AND IVORY'COST ARE PLAYING U SEE REASON WITH HIM
NIGERIAS NEED TO PUT PRESSURE ON THEIR OPPONENT RATHER THAN WAITING TO WIN BALL WITH EFFORT
TOO THEY LACK CONFIDENT A LOT THATS WHY THEY MISSED TO SCORE AN OPEN NET ,AND GIVE INACURATE PASSES ALSO DONT HAV ABILITY TO SHOT AT GOAL POST.
I THINK THEY NEED TO BUILD IN THEIR CONFIDENCE because THAT IS THEIR MAJOR PROBLEM
Re: Eagles Must Apply Pressure Says Christian Chukwu by chelseabmw(m): 4:57am On Jun 20, 2010
Re: Eagles Must Apply Pressure Says Christian Chukwu by ReLaTE(m): 5:07am On Jun 20, 2010
Chukwu was right bt i dnt see ths old men changing their style of play because they're all old and lazy wt d ball. They are only good in passing d ball backward instead of moving forward.
Re: Eagles Must Apply Pressure Says Christian Chukwu by canuck(m): 6:23am On Jun 20, 2010
Mr. Christian Chukwu, majority of our players are either unfit or too muscular for a highly mobile game like soccer.

Yakubu needs to trim down or switch to Weightlifting, I can also introduce him to an agent in Greco-Roman Wrestling  wink

Too much akpu/amala/poundo/tuwo! cheesy

These slow pokes shine when surrounded by fast-paced teammates in their clubs - But what do you get when 10 fat/unfit legs are assembled in one team? KAITAstophy!!!  grin
Re: Eagles Must Apply Pressure Says Christian Chukwu by Acidosis(m): 7:05am On Jun 20, 2010
Interesting Rubbish!!
Re: Eagles Must Apply Pressure Says Christian Chukwu by Acidosis(m): 7:08am On Jun 20, 2010
Interesting Rubbish!!
Re: Eagles Must Apply Pressure Says Christian Chukwu by mbulela: 7:16am On Jun 20, 2010
People dey talk, Chukwu too dey talk.
I beg make i hear word.
Re: Eagles Must Apply Pressure Says Christian Chukwu by canuck(m): 7:28am On Jun 20, 2010
mbulela:

I beg make i hear word.

What did iconic Christian Chukwu do to you?
Re: Eagles Must Apply Pressure Says Christian Chukwu by Youngichou(m): 8:07am On Jun 20, 2010
mbulela:

I beg make i hear word.
lol! E b like say inna don KAITANIZE d guy
Re: Eagles Must Apply Pressure Says Christian Chukwu by abrahym(m): 8:50am On Jun 20, 2010
Too late,too bad
Re: Eagles Must Apply Pressure Says Christian Chukwu by Ranoscky(m): 9:47am On Jun 20, 2010
Na true talk chritain chukwu yan so oo, doz guys no dey put body for ball, dem just dey wait for any loose ball.

but meanwhile @comechop, kaitaflu paranoid u reach that level? grin grin grin una no go kill person for this NL.

the monkey self is a kind of kaita-ish.
Re: Eagles Must Apply Pressure Says Christian Chukwu by otokx(m): 10:27am On Jun 20, 2010
This whole thing has become like a dead dog that people are now saying did all manner of evil even the ones it did not do. Who is Christian Chukwu to open his mouth? What pedigree does he have? Those guys in the miracle of Damman where overage cheats.
Re: Eagles Must Apply Pressure Says Christian Chukwu by md4real(m): 1:26pm On Jun 20, 2010
Na wa for naija guys o. Wu na no see as yaks and obasi take miss clean goal? WU na no see as eyeama formbull with the jabulani ball? Wait, how many of you can actually kick the ball. I mean kick not even play.
Re: Eagles Must Apply Pressure Says Christian Chukwu by whybanme(f): 1:54pm On Jun 20, 2010
Eagles must apply Pressure - on which wound?
Re: Eagles Must Apply Pressure Says Christian Chukwu by Ranoscky(m): 2:12pm On Jun 20, 2010
^^kaita wound!
Re: Eagles Must Apply Pressure Says Christian Chukwu by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jun 20, 2010
Chairman Chukwu's advice is a little belated

Mount pressure in other to achieve what?

Mount pressure when our world cup is over?
Re: Eagles Must Apply Pressure Says Christian Chukwu by Litmus: 2:24pm On Jun 20, 2010
Those Nigerian players don't eat Nigerian food, they feed on oyibo fad rubbish, such as pasta. They need to eat eba and yam and plantain, and such for maximum energy. African food did not fail African players of the past who burst onto the intentional  stage and startled the international community with their athleticism and strengths.  Those old teams failed on strategy  and technical planing.  We will always fail as Africans when we abandon what appeared to work for us as Africans in favor of what we think will be better for us in adopting foreign things.

I live in England and none of us here  are slimmer, stronger, healthier or better looking than those of us back in Nigeria that live on Nigerian food.
Re: Eagles Must Apply Pressure Says Christian Chukwu by Litmus: 2:37pm On Jun 20, 2010
I haven't studied what Brazilian feed on, and although i know that there was a stage when everyone went mad on Italian diets, during the heydays of Italian football, and probably still do, the fact is, Brazilians are mostly mixed and of purer Europeans, more or less, so feeding on western food is none political and, besides, who knows, they might perform even higher if they fed on local Brazilian foods and even on African foods.   

Capitalism creates fears in order to sell you things. For instance, If they, westerners, tell you that your African food is too heavy, it scares you away from it and compels you to spend money on what they, westerners, produce.
Re: Eagles Must Apply Pressure Says Christian Chukwu by ROCKJ1(m): 3:20pm On Jun 20, 2010
God help the super eagles so we dont leave now, its too early, we didnt prepare well but God can still help us.
Re: Eagles Must Apply Pressure Says Christian Chukwu by favre2k(m): 3:31pm On Jun 20, 2010
Litmus:

Those Nigerian players don't eat Nigerian food, they feed on oyibo fad rubbish, such as pasta. They need to eat eba and yam and plantain, and such for maximum energy. African food did not fail African players of the past who burst onto the intentional  stage and startled the international community with their athleticism and strengths.  Those old teams failed on strategy  and technical planing.  We will always fail as Africans when we abandon what appeared to work for us as Africans in favor of what we think will be better for us in adopting foreign things.

I live in England and none of us here  are slimmer, stronger, healthier or better looking than those of us back in Nigeria that live on Nigerian food.

I completely agree with you, i live in Atlanta and the nigerians here are overweight and unhealthy compared to the ones back home. I visited Nigeria last month and notice that they are much much more healthier than us here in America. I have since changed my diet to organic and nigerian foods. I brought some food from my trip to nigeria. I plan to shop only Nigerian and organic stores. American diet is a slow killer, wonder why they have all these disease here in America, It is absolutely pathetic.
thanks for bringing it up.
Re: Eagles Must Apply Pressure Says Christian Chukwu by OvieE: 4:13pm On Jun 20, 2010
ROCK-J:

God help the super eagles so we dont leave now, its too early, we didnt prepare well but God can still help us.

My friend shurraaa-up. All the world class teams that are doing so horribly in the world cup, would you say they did not prepare well. Even you give Nigeria one year for preparation, they will still go there and fuccck-up. The least team will win this world cup. It hard to say who will the world cup.

Just key note to you: preparation has nothing to who will excel. South Africa have been playing games over and over for more than a year before the kickoff of the world cup, what did they gain from it. Unity is the key when eleven vs. eleven on the field. Nigeria has no unity in the team and lack commitment, and that's the problem. Unknown country will win the world cup.

Brazil worked hard to over come north Korea, England is fucccking up, Italy is a mess, France is nothing to talk about, Cameroon who?, Spain is hard to say now, Germany is no different, is hard to even talk about Argentina because by the time they play very attacking team(s), you cannot tell how good they really are even though they possess the most fearful forward in the world cup but their back is a mess so is hard to tell or say about this world cup etc.

So far, no team has advance to round sixteen other than Cameroon be the only country eliminated so far. The remaining thirty-one teams still have big chance. If anybody have told be that the last match in each group will determine who go home and round 16, I will say you are playing. Small unknown countries are springing surprises so far.

This world is showing everyone that there are no big teams anymore and ranking is bullshitttt.
Re: Eagles Must Apply Pressure Says Christian Chukwu by Primegold: 5:39pm On Jun 20, 2010
I have always wondered why discussions on this forum almost always turns to insults?

Someone is asking who Chukwu is to comment on football in Nigeria. You can disagree with what he has to say - you are to entitled to your opinion -but to denigrate someone just because you disagree with his comment shows poor upbringing.

If informed people like Chukwu, Odegbami, Okocha, Finidi, Siasia, Adokie,Garba Lawal, Yekini, etc cannot comment on Nigeria football, then who can?

If you don't know who Christian Chukwu is, pls go and find out.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What In The World Has Jay Jay Okocha Been Doing After Retirement? / Slow And Steady .... Single Bet Master / FREE Week 44 Football Pool Banker Pair And Winning Line

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.