Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,962 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:08 AM

Jim Nwobodo: What Abacha Did After Atlanta '96; What I Did For Kanu Nwankwo - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Jim Nwobodo: What Abacha Did After Atlanta '96; What I Did For Kanu Nwankwo (29079 Views)

Olympics: Dream Team Atlanta '96 Listed Among Most Memorable Football Moments / Super Eagles Sing For Kanu Nwankwo In The Dressing Room As He Dances / The Hardley Apartments: Inside Kanu Nwankwo's Lagos Hotel & Cost Per Night (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jim Nwobodo: What Abacha Did After Atlanta '96; What I Did For Kanu Nwankwo by DeRay98(m): 11:55am On Aug 06, 2018
mcnuel001:

Abioo, and the second goal was scored by victor ikpeba and not okocha ,infact okocha missed a penalty on that faithful day .

Okocha missed a penalty on that day shocked? which T.V did you see that happen?
You and Jim Nwobodo watched that in your dreams sha. grin
Re: Jim Nwobodo: What Abacha Did After Atlanta '96; What I Did For Kanu Nwankwo by aribisala0(m): 11:56am On Aug 06, 2018
edi287:

Missed a pen against brazil
We played Brazil in USA 1994
Re: Jim Nwobodo: What Abacha Did After Atlanta '96; What I Did For Kanu Nwankwo by edi287: 11:59am On Aug 06, 2018
aribisala0:
We played Brazil in USA 1994
My bad, thought you meant Atlanta 96. Okocha did play at USA 94. He played against Italy
Re: Jim Nwobodo: What Abacha Did After Atlanta '96; What I Did For Kanu Nwankwo by aribisala0(m): 12:04pm On Aug 06, 2018
edi287:

My bad, thought you meant Atlanta 96. Okocha did play at USA 94. He played against Italy

Lol . that is the problem with jumping halfway into coversations

This is what I responded to

Birikiti:
These people should fear God o! How can ex-Minister Nwobodo be saying all these when we (who witnessed the match) are still alive? This is how people distort history o. He just said all these to praise himself.

1. Kanu was one of the most exceptional players in the whole of that Olympic tournament, he hardly misplaced a pass or put a foot wrong. It was Okocha that wasn't playing to his USA 94 standards in the games. Kanu was exceptional throughout.

When I said I do not recall Okocha playing. Okocha was a peripheral player in USA 1994 so I do not know what he meant by USA 94 standards
Re: Jim Nwobodo: What Abacha Did After Atlanta '96; What I Did For Kanu Nwankwo by benjanny(m): 12:14pm On Aug 06, 2018
I know I was still a kid then,but I vividly remember that Bonfre Joe was our coach
Re: Jim Nwobodo: What Abacha Did After Atlanta '96; What I Did For Kanu Nwankwo by FirstCounsel(m): 12:14pm On Aug 06, 2018
TOPCRUISE:

The man is high with Anambra weed
He's not from Anambra grin
Re: Jim Nwobodo: What Abacha Did After Atlanta '96; What I Did For Kanu Nwankwo by kenex4ever(m): 12:16pm On Aug 06, 2018
dazzlingd:

That story of dollar does not work.

Dollar issue started with Gej government and as at his departure, naira was already in a chain reaction of instability. Be transparent and fair...

Before you attack me, Im not a fan of Buhari
this is how to know his fans

1 Like

Re: Jim Nwobodo: What Abacha Did After Atlanta '96; What I Did For Kanu Nwankwo by edi287: 12:18pm On Aug 06, 2018
aribisala0:

When I said I do not recall Okocha playing. Okocha was a peripheral player in USA 1994 so I do not know what he meant by USA 94 standards
Oh my bad again grin grin

I don't know how Okocha performed at USA 94. I only watched the game against Italy on YouTube
Re: Jim Nwobodo: What Abacha Did After Atlanta '96; What I Did For Kanu Nwankwo by dazzlingd(m): 12:24pm On Aug 06, 2018
kenex4ever:
this is how to know his fans

You can pretend to be intelligent, it's allowed. Stop disgracing yourself with the bear parlour news. So next time you can just pretend you understood what I said and just nod, or simply type " hnmmm OK."
Re: Jim Nwobodo: What Abacha Did After Atlanta '96; What I Did For Kanu Nwankwo by aribisala0(m): 12:27pm On Aug 06, 2018
edi287:

Oh my bad again grin grin

I don't know how Okocha performed at USA 94. I only watched the game against Italy on YouTube
Westerhof never really liked to use Okocha maybe because of "overdribble" and I will check but do not think he started any of the first 3 games in 1994
Re: Jim Nwobodo: What Abacha Did After Atlanta '96; What I Did For Kanu Nwankwo by Destroe: 12:28pm On Aug 06, 2018
FirstCounsel:
Abeg which Tournament is this Chief talking about? If my memory serves me right, Jo Bonfrere took us to the Olympics.
Not only that, it was ikpeba who scored the 2nd goal in that game and there's no way General Sani Abacha stood in the rain for two days to wait for them. This old man is busy manufacturing stories from thin air

1 Like

Re: Jim Nwobodo: What Abacha Did After Atlanta '96; What I Did For Kanu Nwankwo by sangresan(m): 12:36pm On Aug 06, 2018
This man is talking jargons...
Re: Jim Nwobodo: What Abacha Did After Atlanta '96; What I Did For Kanu Nwankwo by Tokziby: 12:45pm On Aug 06, 2018
Mikeparlo12:
Baba is getting Old, it wasn’t Clemence westerhorf that took Nigeria to atlanta 1996but Bon Jo. Also Okocha didn’t score the second goal but Victor Ikpeba

Is the baba vying for any political post? Cos he's sounding like an aspiring candidate of a party. Or probably he's memory is failing him due to old age. I can't Imagine a called sport minister talking like this, as if he's narrating tales by moonlight about tortoise.
All the above was completely wrong. From coach, to the players, matches and advising chioma to go for long jump. Chioma was better in long jump than the sprint and she was qualified to compete at the games cos she covered the minimum required to compete at the Olympics during the Nigerian Mobil track and field qualifiers, hence, he could not have advised her to go for the event since she already registered before the games. Kanu was the captain of the dream team and one of the best players during the qualifiers, hence Bonfere could not have benched him. Regarding the allowance, them no born anybody well to owe the players or athlete during Abacha regime, all na wash.

1 Like

Re: Jim Nwobodo: What Abacha Did After Atlanta '96; What I Did For Kanu Nwankwo by aspirebig: 12:53pm On Aug 06, 2018
Old age oooo. Is not a must to grant interview especially when some views are interchanged.

Former governor that was among the few people who enjoyed during Abacha time .

Remember that SE did not go to 1996 Nations Cup at SA to defend the cup the won 2years earlier in Tunisia.Our absence due to Abacha, made SA to win to the Continental cup .

Back to Atlanta Olympics, Jo Bonfere was our coach,not Westerhof,Victor Ikpeba scored the second goal with a strong left shot, not Okocha.

Okocha missed Penalty when we needed the goal badly and the annoying part was that Okocha was smiling after he missed the penalty .
Re: Jim Nwobodo: What Abacha Did After Atlanta '96; What I Did For Kanu Nwankwo by edi287: 12:58pm On Aug 06, 2018
aribisala0:
Westerhof never really liked to use Okocha maybe because of "overdribble" and I will check but do not think he started any of the first 3 games in 1994
Yeah. I read somewhere he had one of the highest dribbles in a WC game against Italy.
Apparently Westerhof preferred Oliha over him
Re: Jim Nwobodo: What Abacha Did After Atlanta '96; What I Did For Kanu Nwankwo by deebrain(m): 12:59pm On Aug 06, 2018
FirstCounsel:
Abeg which Tournament is this Chief talking about? If my memory serves me right, Jo Bonfrere took us to the Olympics.

God bless you

1 Like

Re: Jim Nwobodo: What Abacha Did After Atlanta '96; What I Did For Kanu Nwankwo by Fuck: 1:45pm On Aug 06, 2018
carammel:
Atlanta 96,still fresh in my memory,the semi-final was the most interesting. kiss

Chai , madam you don old o.

I was born in the year 2000 sha. Ano watch the match. cheesy
Re: Jim Nwobodo: What Abacha Did After Atlanta '96; What I Did For Kanu Nwankwo by Akabuking: 1:46pm On Aug 06, 2018
long trash.
Re: Jim Nwobodo: What Abacha Did After Atlanta '96; What I Did For Kanu Nwankwo by NoToPile: 2:08pm On Aug 06, 2018
Wait oo, is this not the savannah bank guy angry angry angry
Re: Jim Nwobodo: What Abacha Did After Atlanta '96; What I Did For Kanu Nwankwo by Keleyors(m): 2:29pm On Aug 06, 2018
Is the Chief Talking about Atlanta 96 or another tournament? Maybe old age has made him confused, if not how can he state that:
1. Westerhof was their Coach where it was Bonfere Jo that coached the Atlanta Eagles.
2. Sunday Olise was in the Bench and didnot play that particular game because he was on two yellow cards.
3. The 2nd goal was scored by Victor Ikpeba not Okocha as stated by the Chief.
Re: Jim Nwobodo: What Abacha Did After Atlanta '96; What I Did For Kanu Nwankwo by mankind5050(m): 2:32pm On Aug 06, 2018
Jim you can lie.Kindly remind us that your house girl was included in Nigerian delegation while you dropped some promising young talents.Moreover how was it your work to command the Coach not to remove Kanu.Invariably, you won us the Olympic Gold....
Magichand:
Jim Nwobodo, a former old Anambra governor, has revealed some events that happened during the Atlanta 1996 Olympics.

A former governor of old Anambra State, Chief Jim Nwobodo, relives the victory of the Super Eagles in Atlanta Olympics of 1996 and how he saved Kanu Nwankwo from Coach Westerhof.
The Super Eagles won the gold medal in the Atlanta Olympics in 1996 when you were the Sports Minister.

Can you share with us the story of what happened then?
They (Super Eagles) beat Japan, beat Brazil and also beat other big teams. That was the time we had wonderful players. You can only know the best team when they go out of the country and play the best teams in the world. Mikel Obi is playing in China and there are other young boys like Alex Iwobi, Ahmed Musa, Kelechi Iheanacho and many others.

There is one thing I like about Nigerian football. Nigerians are football lovers, there is no doubt about that and football has the ability to unite Nigerians.
I remember very well the 1996 event when we played in Atlanta Olympics. Nigeria was a pariah nation. The day we reached the climax was the day Nigeria met Brazil. We had a very strong team, those who were determined to do their best to make Nigeria proud.

Two things happened that day. We got into the field and, in the first half, they (Brazil) were leading Nigeria by 3-1. I sat by the side of then – FIFA President, Joao Havelange, a Brazilian lawyer, businessman and athlete who served as the 7th FIFA President from 1974 to 1998 and I told him we will beat Brazil and he started laughing because we were two goals down.

Half time break pep talk
During the half time break, I went to our boys in the dressing room and called them one by one, starting with Sunday Oliseh, then Daniel Omokachi, Kanu Nwankwo, Jay Jay Okocha, Victor Ikpeba, Celestine Babayaro and others. I urged them not to disgrace me and Nigerians and they assured me that they will beat Brazil. I then called the coach, Clemens Westerhof, who complained that Kanu was not playing well and that he would remove him.

I ordered him not to remove the young man. I threatened to sack him if he removed Kanu. He complied with my order and allowed Kanu to play in the second half. In the second half, Okocha scored the second goal, making it 2-3; another goal was scored by Kanu to make it 3-3 and second half ended. In the extra time, we had what is called the golden goal then and, five minutes after, Kanu scored the golden goal and the match ended. Everyone was surprised but God was at work and I heard Him (God) when I said Kanu should not be removed.

Kanu became the man of the match. We were excited and many whites and many Africans, who did not know about the Dream Team, started painting themselves in green white green. I was also told that families that were not in talking terms for ten years reconciled because of that match.

Sweet victory
Then – Head of State, General Sani Abacha, who was not in the habit of answering telephone calls, called almost all of us, including my wife. He did not stop there. He had to wait for us alongside some state governors for two days under the rain at the City Gate, Abuja when we returned to Nigeria and that was what that victory did to Nigeria. What a sweet victory!

The second thing that happened was that Chioma Ajunwa told me that she and other Nigerian athletes were yet to be paid their 300 dollars per day on the day she would compete. I saw reason with her but I told her it was a very small amount. I promised her that I will give her 10,000 dollars if she won a gold medal, she was shocked. I advised her to go for the long jump if she was good at that. Her first jump earned her gold medal for Nigeria and I gave her 10,000 dollars. This thing is about leadership and encouraging people around you.

So, sport, in itself, is something that, if properly developed, will bring the country together. Look at what sport is doing in the world today. If you are a sports administrator, you are known all over the world. FIFA President is bigger that any President in the world. My worry is that Nigeria has not given proper attention to sports.
What is your rating of journalists in Nigeria?
Nigeria has the freest press in the world; journalists write anything and get away with it and they hold people accountable and nobody can fight them. In Nigeria, I can say that we have a very free and strong press. I really don’t see anything wrong with what they are doing, except that they should always get their facts right.

What is your take on employers owing workers?
Any employer that owes his workers should not expect them to be loyal to him. Such could expose workers to temptation because they have to take care of themselves and their families. It is not good to owe your workers; whether they are journalists, footballers, civil servants, you don’t need to owe them. Workers deserve their wages. So it is not good at all. You should do everything possible not to owe your workers.

What about state governments owing workers?
I mean it’s unfair. It is ungodly and unchristian. If you don’t pay workers, what do you want them to do? In fact, when I was governor, I didn’t have anything as salary arrears. Throughout my stay in Government House, I never owed anybody for one month because one thing you do as a leader is to pay your workers before any other thing. That is the first charge and, from there, you motivate them to work harder.

So, any governor that owes workers for months is not fit to be a governor. Although, some governors have said that the problem about payment of salaries stems from the many problems confronting them, that argument does not hold water because you can still sit down and arrange your budget to make the recurrent less than the capital. You give capital budget priority over recurrent.

From Zenithnaija.com

More below:
https://zenithnaija.com/how-i-saved-kanu-nwankwo-from-coach-westerhof-during-atlanta-96-olympics-jim-nwobodo-opens-up/

Re: Jim Nwobodo: What Abacha Did After Atlanta '96; What I Did For Kanu Nwankwo by Bimpe29: 2:47pm On Aug 06, 2018
''He threatened to sack him, if he (Clemens Westerhof) removed Kanu'' Such is a case with how things are done in Naija.
Re: Jim Nwobodo: What Abacha Did After Atlanta '96; What I Did For Kanu Nwankwo by frfrank(m): 2:52pm On Aug 06, 2018
FirstCounsel:

And it was not okocha that scored the second goal against Brasil...

1 Like

Re: Jim Nwobodo: What Abacha Did After Atlanta '96; What I Did For Kanu Nwankwo by Buffalo2(m): 3:09pm On Aug 06, 2018
FirstCounsel:
Tor........ I was about saying the same thing o. Westerhof ko, Easterhof ni.

1 Like

Re: Jim Nwobodo: What Abacha Did After Atlanta '96; What I Did For Kanu Nwankwo by Buffalo2(m): 3:12pm On Aug 06, 2018
Keleyors:
Is the Chief Talking about Atlanta 96 or another tournament? Maybe old age has made him confused, if not how can he state that:
1. Westerhof was their Coach where it was Bonfere Jo that coached the Atlanta Eagles.
2. Sunday Olise was in the Bench and didnot play that particular game because he was on two yellow cards.
3. The 2nd goal was scored by Victor Ikpeba not Okocha as stated by the Chief.
grin grin grin grin. That baba is the new "Linux" operating system

1 Like

Re: Jim Nwobodo: What Abacha Did After Atlanta '96; What I Did For Kanu Nwankwo by FKMagazine(m): 3:26pm On Aug 06, 2018
Re: Jim Nwobodo: What Abacha Did After Atlanta '96; What I Did For Kanu Nwankwo by trappatoni(m): 3:49pm On Aug 06, 2018
FirstCounsel:
You are right it was Jo Bonfrere not Westerhof and It was Victor Ikpeba that scored the second goal not Jay Jay Okocha.Garba Lawal played a wonderful match in place of Oliseh.

1 Like

Re: Jim Nwobodo: What Abacha Did After Atlanta '96; What I Did For Kanu Nwankwo by FirstCounsel(m): 4:06pm On Aug 06, 2018
deebrain:

God bless you
Amen o. E be like Chief Nwobodo don de suffer memory loss...[color=][/color] grin
Re: Jim Nwobodo: What Abacha Did After Atlanta '96; What I Did For Kanu Nwankwo by Birikiti: 4:22pm On Aug 06, 2018
aribisala0:

Please watch Nigeria Vs Italy again! Okocha started the match and completed the most dribbles by an individual player in a World Cup match (at least before 2018 WC).

Knowing Westerhof, he used Okocha sparingly during the group stages so he could unleash him on opponents during the knockout stages. This was same plan he used Amunike for in Tunisia 94. The plan almost worked but...

So, I hope you understand my "USA 94 standards" statement now.
Re: Jim Nwobodo: What Abacha Did After Atlanta '96; What I Did For Kanu Nwankwo by Riversides2003(m): 4:28pm On Aug 06, 2018
carammel:
Atlanta 96,still fresh in my memory,the semi-final was the most interesting. kiss

Jim Nwobodo, be lying upandan,unless this is what you want the indomie generation to know about the 1996 Olympics. grin

That was how they lied to us that India gave Nigeria 100: 0 in one game.

You don old o
Re: Jim Nwobodo: What Abacha Did After Atlanta '96; What I Did For Kanu Nwankwo by carammel(f): 4:36pm On Aug 06, 2018
Bleep:

Chai , madam you don old o.

I was born in the year 2000 sha. Ano watch the match. cheesy
Don't worry kids, you will get old someday too. wink

Riversides2003:

You don old o

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Throwback Picture Of Asisat Oshoala As A Child / U20 Women's World Cup: Nigeria 3 : 1 Canada (Highlights) / Super Falcons Celebrate 2-0 Victory Against South Korea In The Dressing Room

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.