Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,008 members, 7,956,734 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 05:44 PM

6 Ways Your Every Day Use Of Plastics May Affect Your Health - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 6 Ways Your Every Day Use Of Plastics May Affect Your Health (406 Views)

Lagos Govt bans sale, Use & distribution of take-away Packs, Single-use Plastics / 5 Food Combinations That May Affect Your Health / Want To Get Pregnant & Know Your Ovulation Day? Use Saliva Ovulation Microscope (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Ways Your Every Day Use Of Plastics May Affect Your Health by Annwrites: 1:07pm On Aug 06, 2018
I recently gave a seminar presentation on Plastic pollution. I was shocked by what I discovered while researching prior to the presentation. Plastics are silent killers.

Not only do they affect all aspect of the environment including our wild flora and fauna, they equally affect humans, I mean you and I.

Unfortunately, we use plastics every day. I mean we wear plastics as clothes, we use them to eat and even for cooking and many more.

Invariably, plastics cannot totally be an avoided. But, I believe it will do you a lot more good to avoid them as much as you can. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Plastics contain some poisonous chemicals or better put plasticizers such as BPA, Phthalates, polyvinyl chloride to ensure their durability. But in the long run, while you use these plastics, they begin to leech these chemicals which get into our body and begins to affect our health.

Without further ado, Let's find out the ways plastics may affect our health.

1. Miscarriages: According to some studies, Bisphenol A, a toxin in plastics have been linked to causing recurrent miscarriages. Bisphenol A is a known endocrine disruptor which could interfere with fetal conception, growth, and development. It also affects brain development of a baby, if its does escape miscarriage.

2.Risk of Cancer: High exposure to Bisphenol A and phthalates have been linked to increased risk of breast cancer and prostate cancer in humans. Studies have shown that they can cause cancer cells to develop when they begin to disrupt the body hormonal balance.

3. Metabolic Disorder: Certain Chemicals in plastics can alter the process of metabolism in the body. If its left untreated it could lead to stroke, coronary heart diseases and other related diseases.

4. Diabetes: According to some studies, Bisphenol A reduces insulin sensitivity in the body by suppressing adiponectin a key hormone for this function in the body. This could lead to type 2 diabetes and other related diseases.

5. Obesity: Metabolic disorder and diabetes can lead to obesity as insulin sensitivity has been reduced and the body process of metabolism has been greatly affected by the presence of Bisphenol A. It could also.make it difficult to lose weight or maintain a normal BMI.

6. Sterilty: According to studies, exposure to the chemicals in plastics could lead to infertility in both men and women. Exposure to BPA and phthalates especially causes hormonal disruption in the body making it difficult to conceive.

Altogether, it is better to avoid plastics especially PET bottles and polyethylene. Avoid using plastics to store food in the refrigerator or hot food in your food flask.

Replace all your plastics with metals and avoid disposables as often as you can.

However to be really safe, know plastics by numbers and avoid number 1, 3, 6 and 7. They are your poisonous plastics.

Stay healthy, happy and strong!

1 Like

Re: 6 Ways Your Every Day Use Of Plastics May Affect Your Health by Betakeshi: 1:23pm On Aug 06, 2018
cool
Re: 6 Ways Your Every Day Use Of Plastics May Affect Your Health by Stephaustin(m): 9:43pm On Aug 06, 2018
This is a beautiful exposition. Thank you very much @ Annwrites.
Re: 6 Ways Your Every Day Use Of Plastics May Affect Your Health by Annwrites: 10:02pm On Aug 06, 2018
Stephaustin:
This is a beautiful exposition.
Thank you very much @ Annwrites.

Thank you Stephaustin

(1) (Reply)

I Got To Know Later That I Had Postpartum Depression / Where Antibiotics Fail, Monolaurin Cure The Staphylococcus & Other Infections / Avoid Surgery, Use Renavive Capsule To Completely Dissolve Kidney Stones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.