Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,661 members, 7,809,501 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:37 AM

What Is The Meaning Of Adimunia/adimula ? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is The Meaning Of Adimunia/adimula ? (8898 Views)

Meaning Of The Five Lines On A Palm / Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning / The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Adimunia/adimula ? by 0balufonlll: 9:43pm On Aug 15, 2018
x
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Adimunia/adimula ? by Olu317(m): 10:33pm On Aug 15, 2018
0balufonlll:

How is the initiation of white man relevant to what we're discussing sir? And I hope you did not think of it as 'information' because the white men that were initiated anywhere into anything in Yorubaland before Susan Wenger and Ulli Bieir were 1. Leo Frobenius who was initiated into Ogboni Ibile at Ibadan and 2. Dierk Lange who was initiated into Obatala at Obatala compound.

This is interesting. Firstly can you tell your grandpa's date of birth and the age he passed? If you can not then we may just as well rest the part about Odudwa's age at his death. We are both literate enough to know that record of age keeping was a colonial instrument of record keeping. Now, having said this, if the history of Oduduwa is dug into like I said, a whole lot of people will lose relevance. Apart from kings whose compounds are traceable to Ife, a good number paid Ife kings to receive crowns from Ife - see Ooni Olubuse I's statement to the colonialists at the Elepe and Akarigbo panel. As for the story of Owa Ilesa and Otun - all of these do not in anyway negate the 'Ife fact' that Oduduwa died early. The whole brine fetching and blindness may have happened before he was killed.

LOOOOL Obamakin was Ogun? cheesy grin Fam you killed me with this one o. Honestly, and no insulted intended, I think all of the essay you typed here are your own imagination of what you thought or would like things to be to appease the emotional attachment you have to something within the whole thing. The 16 elders that ruled Ife included Obamakin and Obatala with Ogun being on Oduduwa's squad. If you go to Obawara's house [Obawara's ancestor was Ogun's in-law] where Osogun family is and tell them Osogun's father was Obamakin, na wahala you go cause o.grin.

After Oduduwa's sons and followers had totally dispersed, Ogun wanted to assume the throne but he was brutally usurped [this is the Ife's historical aspect of the reason Olojo festival is celebrated if you do not know, Olojo isn't just a festival it is the re-enactment of Ogun's expulsion and his settlement at Oke Mogun before he headed for Iwara] and it is why Osogun is barred from the Ooni's palace and must not spend more than a few minutes in the palace and must be standing while communicating with the Ooni. Obamakin ruled in Ife but Ogun was expelled, QED.

Obamakin passed rulership to Obalufon Ogbogbodirin. Obalufon did not chase Oranmiyan away, it was Obalufon the Bini folks met on the throne when they needed help with government and Obalufon dispatched Oranmiyan to do the job. He came back and with Obalufon still being on the throne, he moved on to found Oyo after which he met Obalufon Alayemore on the throne and problem began again.

There is so much I can say about the emboldened but I'll bite my 'tongue'.

A lot of kings are not related to Oduduwa only 8 kings, 8! Starting with Olowu to Olubini and Alaafin. It grew to 16 during Olubuse 1 and to 20 something during Aderemi and then to 32 or there abouts. Only 8 are originally related to Oduduwa at both paternal or maternal levels.

If you are looking for details of Oranmiyan's explout in Oyo, what you need is Oyo's knowledge not Ife's knowledge. There is no way Ife's account of Oranmiyan's business in Oyo will be authentic. Like I said before, the early history of Yoruba is Ife history and Ife has records of events marked out spatially, materially and orally. Other sub-groups know Oduduwa and Obatala existed but Ife people are the ones with records of how they lived and died. It is like saying Ife has better knowledge of Olofin Ogunfunminire than the Awori. Or say because Luusi migrated from Ife, Ife has authentic information than his own people.

This is why Yoruba spirituality across Yorubaland is somewhat of a religion while in Ife it is a re-current re-enactment of history - for example, the Ajebatala (Oyo Obatala priest) is the same person presiding over Oduduwa worship and they drink palm wine while in Ife it is a taboo that attracts curses and eventual sudden death. For the Ife, Yoruba spirituality is more of history than religion. The first day I heard of Obatala/Oduduwa worship in Oyo Alaafin, I cringed.

Can you give account of all the names of kings before Oduduwa? You have the floor. Also, what does Igun mean, enlighten me.

Thank you.
Again you got it wrong! I mentioned Ogun as Obamakin's contemporary and not that Obamakin, himself was Ogun. Ogun's exploit was even more than Odua himself. Secondly,you and I don't need consent on the Épé's case because it was published. Thirdly Odua couldn't have being a young person when he died because his first son,Orangun was an adult when he left IleIfe. Fourthly, few kings may not be connected to Odua but a lot are. There is no smoke without fire. And the grand children of Odua established their own kingdoms because of Ébì system,which is traceable. Do you even know how kingdoms Luusi, his descendants and the people who followed him used his name established? So also, others before him. The point here is that many kings are connected to Odua than Obatala. Lastly, you need check the Oriki to inform if the Éfon Alaaye's oriki is against what Ìgùn is to Óonì's
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Adimunia/adimula ? by 0balufonlll: 11:13pm On Aug 15, 2018
x
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Adimunia/adimula ? by 0balufonlll: 11:24pm On Aug 15, 2018
x
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Adimunia/adimula ? by Olu317(m): 5:41am On Aug 16, 2018
0balufonlll:

Obalufon did not found Efon Alaaye. Efon Alaaye is an offshoot of Iraye from their original settlement after being attacked and dispersed by Owu people. All the kings of Aye kingdoms spread all over still visit Obalaaye in Ife who visits them in return. They have nothing to do with Obalufon.
Fam,you are wrong because Éfón Àlaaye was founded by Obalufon Alaayemore. If you say, contrary, then provide the name of the founder,who was from Iraye.Kindly visit the place for more information. And on king's oriki, many words conscripted serves some purpose at one time or the other. Yorubas are very documented on who is who.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Adimunia/adimula ? by Olu317(m): 6:05am On Aug 16, 2018
0balufonlll:

You probably forgot what you typed. Here are your own words See the emboldened in the quote.

Elepe & Akarigbo isn’t the focal point but what Ooni Olubuse said in Lagos. Have you read the things he said about Yoruba crowns?

I have left whatever it is you need to know about Oduduwa to your imaginations till you visit Idio in Ife & ask questions. There is a difference between being connected to Oduduwa & being connected to Ife ruling compounds. There is a difference between being connected to Oduduwa, being connected to Ife ruling compounds & being connected to Ife.

Thosr connected to Oduduwa are the first 8 kings starting with Olowu.

Those connected to Ife ruling compounds are kings of towns like Iwo, Ife Odan, Ifewara, Ifetedo, Sooko in Ipetumodu & so on.

Those just connected to Ife are towns such as Remo (Sagamu & all Remoland), Ijebu Ife, Efon Alaaye, Ifon, Ido Osun, Saki, Ire & so on.

While everyone is regarded as ‘Omo Oduduwa’ thosr with connection with Oduduwa are the first 8. Olowu, Popo, Sabe, Ketu, Oyo, Bini, Ilesa, Ila.

Please post the oriki here. I can’t seem to find any Efon Alaaye oriki with igun in it on google.

Thank you.

Addendum: like I said before in another post, Efon Alaaye was founded by Iraye people of Ife headed by Obalaaye. Why do you link Efon Alaaye to Obalufon in your posts?
Check the emboldened again. It says,‘ Odua wasn't Obamakin's contemporary but Obatala's and ‘Obamakin was Ogun Onire's'. This statement meant Obamakin and Ogun were contemporary.

Secondly I have the knowledge of this account on Olubuse 1 and I have read it.

Lastly,
Omo Alalede aimowo gba,
toni ki won mu osa kotu a gbale oun
Omo Afi igun rubo keru.

Let me clearly state here that Yorubas orikis have information for those that decipher and intrepet them all.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Adimunia/adimula ? by 0balufonlll: 10:11am On Aug 16, 2018
x

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Adimunia/adimula ? by 0balufonlll: 10:19am On Aug 16, 2018
x

1 Like

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Adimunia/adimula ? by Olu317(m): 5:58pm On Aug 16, 2018
0balufonlll:

Well, Obatala, Obamakin & Oduduwa were contemporaries.

Prof Bolanle Awe already argued the relevance of Oriki in history writing using Ibadan as her case study. A number of works hinged on her argument such as Prof Koya Ogen’s work on the Yoruba origin of Idepe (Okiti Pupa) by tracing its Oriki to Usen, a Yoruba enclave in the midst of Edo towns. So, as far as that goes, my ogas in the field have taught us extensively back in school days in Historiography & I am very familiar with Oriki as a historical tool. Thank you.
Hmmm, quite interesting on the contemporaries case you raised here because I am tempted to doubt it .This is because Oluigbo who claim to be descendant of Obamakin,said Obamakin Osangangan was fought against and pushed away from the throne. On Otun's account, the relationship with Odudua was an adopted son and father relationship. Otun claimed to have emerged from the atlantic because, they have settlement in bit through their migration to ILEIFE in present day Lagos. And according to this account, Odua ruled majestically.

Respect to you Sir,

Cheers.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Adimunia/adimula ? by Olu317(m): 8:42pm On Aug 16, 2018
0balufonlll:

Brother mi, I am not going to hold truth in my stomach & spit lie out to you but I have to say that the emboldened blew me away. This is a blot on your reputation here & it goes to show you rely on the pages of internet for things you know and not books.

You made a very awfully wrong claim then went right ahead to tell me to ‘visit the place for more information’ information on what? Your wrong appropriation of the place to Obalufon? LOL. Man, you are one bold/ogboju Yoruba man.

I understand you are not a Historian by training/profession like a lot of us here but for a person who is a History enthusiast, it is obvious you are not very grounded in Yoruba history. You have a lot of work to do.

And it is even more humorously interesting that you tried to pose a connection & problem between Obalufon/Efon & Oduduwa/Ooni using a fairytale Igun. Nairaland aha. grin.

You have a lot of work to do. And I know in a few months or years to this time you’ll shake your head at some of your own posts.
Are you a seer to know what I studied? grin. Shook head on my post? grin Wait for it. In as much as you can't understand the richness of the oriki from critical analysis beyond the taught history at school and transferred oral account, then I shall let it lie. Little do you know oriki has deeper meaning beyond praises because there were circumstance that warrants some part in that panegyric being confrontational to opponents etc in connection to some ancestors in the ancient time.
If your part has not crossed such ,endeavor to do reseserchwork on such.

Funy enough, Ooni IFE visited Éfon Alaaye, 2018, when the town launched a book about her history

You can visit this blog below to read through,the history and oriki of Éfon Alaaye. I couldn't lay my hand on I was searching out for on my archive.

http://placesarchive..co.ke,
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Adimunia/adimula ? by MetaPhysical: 9:42pm On Aug 16, 2018
Obalufon,
You have ignored my question to you regarding divine arrangement in Yoruba Cosmos and whether or not some authority was involved in the ordain and annointment of certain principals you claimed were gods before they were mortals.

In any case, I am unsure if, as an historian, you are familiar with Lagos and its early history.

The area and people we call Epetedo, were they migrants or returnees to Lagos? This could serve as a applicable modern case from which to understand the discussions on indigeneity and evolution in Ife.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Adimunia/adimula ? by lawani: 6:36pm On Nov 13, 2018
Adimula means hold on to this person and you will prosper. The adimula of ijesa land is the owA obokun, of the ijebu is the awijale etc
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Adimunia/adimula ? by DonroxyII: 3:10pm On May 11, 2022
Olu317:
Having considered the different information I had before and the opinion I have come across on different platform do I seek more knowledge from the wise ones to explain the meaning of Adimunia or Adimula.
Adimula Means "A Saviour" : Olugbala: Hold and Be Saved: Hold and Prosper:

I'm conducting little Personal research on the Meaning of Adimula when Google led me to this Thread:

Adimula could only mean a Saviour I think I answered Myself:

Why was both of una fighting over stories Una no dey there Both of You could be Wrong:
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Adimunia/adimula ? by Olu317(m): 8:45pm On May 18, 2022
DonroxyII:
Adimula Means "A Saviour" : Olugbala: Hold and Be Saved: Hold and Prosper:

I'm conducting little Personal research on the Meaning of Adimula when Google led me to this Thread:

Adimula could only mean a Saviour I think I answered Myself:

Why was both of una fighting over stories Una no dey there Both of You could be Wrong:
You are actually teaching the son of the soil known information! grin.

Anyway, it is cool. But know that the name is used as an appellation by Ooni of Iléifẹ. And the name Adimúlà belongs to Ifá or Ọ̀rúnmìlà.

So do not guess, give out your own interpretation of the name because the names does not directly mean saviour.....cheers
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Adimunia/adimula ? by absoluteSuccess: 2:43pm On May 21, 2022
Olofin adimula Oodua.

O lo ofin adimu la:

One who wrung herself from the rule that binds to succeed. The earliest Olofin Adimula Ado usually plait their head because the first holder of the office was a woman.

Oduduwa was a woman potentate in the history of Ado Odo. Her temple was standing at ilaje in the 19th century. May we achieve success in spite of all odds, always.

Adieu Olofin Adimula Ado Odo.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Adimunia/adimula ? by laiperi: 2:07pm On May 23, 2022
Since the Ijaw share the same name as Adimu or Adumu, it will be interesting to see their take

I must add that the Ijaw are also original Oru all over the South, they share "origin" or are part of major ethics groups.

This is why they speak some dialects other Ijaw cannot even understand. Just as different Yoruba dialect.

I stand corrected!
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Adimunia/adimula ? by Olu317(m): 8:15am On May 25, 2022
absoluteSuccess:
Olofin adimula Oodua.

O lo ofin adimu la:

One who wrung herself from the rule that binds to succeed. The earliest Olofin Adimula Ado usually plait their head because the first holder of the office was a woman.

Oduduwa was a woman potentate in the history of Ado Odo. Her temple was standing at ilaje in the 19th century. May we achieve success in spite of all odds, always.

Adieu Olofin Adimula Ado Odo.

Ilajẹ cannot say such in Iléifẹ that odùduwa was a woman.

The fabrication of this anomalies was caused by Samuel Ajayi Crowther and such has been flinged away.

Kindly visit Iléifẹ to ask from Ọbáluru who is superior to Olúigbó hierarchically .And he is the overall king of Orà nfẹ descendants to tell you the real story about Olúigbó ancestors.

Infact, Obáluru represent Ọrà nfẹ dynasty which Olúigbó is a son under him. Ọrà nfẹ was worshipped or venerated few months ago and remained as the oldest deity in Yoruba land of Iléifẹ.

Adé Arẹ belonged to Odùduwa
Ṣẹ̀ẹṣẹ̀'fun belong to Obátàlà

Adé Arẹ is the oldest crown in Yorubaland and worn by Olofin Odùduwa , who was a man with millions of descendants across the world.

Ado odo is not even older than Monuments found in Ekiti to even compare with Iléifẹ is funy. Fact is fact without sentiments.

Respect
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Adimunia/adimula ? by absoluteSuccess: 9:18am On May 25, 2022
Olu317:

The fabrication of this anomalies was caused by Samuel Ajayi Crowther and such has been flinged away.

Kindly visit Iléifẹ to ask from Ọbáluru who is superior to Olúigbó hierarchically .And he is the overall king of Orà nfẹ descendants to tell you the real story about Olúigbó ancestors.

Infact, Obáluru represent Ọrà nfẹ dynasty which Olúigbó is a son under him. Ọrà nfẹ was worshipped or venerated few months ago and remained as the oldest deity in Yoruba land of Iléifẹ.

Adé Arẹ is the oldest crown in Yorubaland and worn by Olofin Odùduwa , who was a man with millions of descendants across the world.

Ado odo is not even older than Monuments found in Ekiti to even compare with Iléifẹ is funy. Fact is fact without sentiments.

Respect

You are welcome bro. Hope you doing fine?

Good to hear from you sir.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Adimunia/adimula ? by Olu317(m): 2:57pm On May 25, 2022
absoluteSuccess:

You are welcome bro. Hope you doing fine?

Good to hear from you sir.
We give all thanks to Almighty God. And you ?
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Adimunia/adimula ? by absoluteSuccess: 7:08pm On May 25, 2022
Olu317:
We give all thanks to Almighty God. And you ?

I'm doing fine sir, God is our strength and He'll see us through. It's my pleasure to hear from you.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Adimunia/adimula ? by Olu317(m): 8:25pm On May 25, 2022
absoluteSuccess:

I'm doing fine sir, God is our strength and He'll see us through. It's my pleasure to hear from you.
Same here
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Adimunia/adimula ? by Simbrixton(m): 9:59pm On Apr 02
Olu317:
Are you a seer to know what I studied? grin. Shook head on my post? grin Wait for it. In as much as you can't understand the richness of the oriki from critical analysis beyond the taught history at school and transferred oral account, then I shall let it lie. Little do you know oriki has deeper meaning beyond praises because there were circumstance that warrants some part in that panegyric being confrontational to opponents etc in connection to some ancestors in the ancient time.
If your part has not crossed such ,endeavor to do reseserchwork on such.

Funy enough, Ooni IFE visited Éfon Alaaye, 2018, when the town launched a book about her history

You can visit this blog below to read through,the history and oriki of Éfon Alaaye. I couldn't lay my hand on I was searching out for on my archive.

http://placesarchive..co.ke,
efon alaaye ilasa ekiti osan ekiti igbara odo igbara oke ilawe ekiti and ilara mokin are all obalufon descendants
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Adimunia/adimula ? by Simbrixton(m): 10:01pm On Apr 02
Olu317:

Respect
Olugbo is qualified to speak on behalf of the house of OBALARA/OBALURU I.E OBALUFON AND ORANFE HOUSE

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The New Oba Of Benin In His Freemason Regalia. / Is Arochukwu The Origin Of The Igbos? / Interracial Children: Which Culture?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.