Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,707 members, 7,816,907 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:52 PM

Lgerback Contract To Be Extended - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Lgerback Contract To Be Extended (3317 Views)

Keshi’s Contract To Be Sealed After Easter Break / Keshi‘s New Contract To Contain Clauses For Enhanced Performance — NFF / Keshi Demands N10 Million/Month Contract To Be Paid Upfront (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lgerback Contract To Be Extended by Gayigaskia(m): 4:06am On Jun 21, 2010
The National Sports Commission and the Nigeria Football Federation have begun moves to extend the contract of Super Eagles coach, Lars Lagerback.

The NSC Director General Partick Ekeji told our correspondent on Saturday that the Swede had done so much for the Eagles within a short time, despite the team losing their two World Cup games in South Africa.

He said Nigeria’s defeat against Greece was largely due to the inability of the players to rise to the situation they found themselves.

Ekeji said, ”The coach has shown so much promise with this team. What we intend to do is to give him more time to raise a formidable team for the country.

”It is clear we need to develop our football and we want to retain this man and give him a chance to do that. The players are okay with him and we cannot be changing coaches every time in the national team.”

The Presidential Task Force is currently paying the salary of Lagerback for his initial five-month contract.

Ekeji stressed that the NSC and the NFF would meet with the Swede on his future with the national team.

He said, ”We want him to stay for the next four or five years with a proper plan for our national teams. In that case, we have to talk on his pay and other things.

“It is good to allow continuity in sports. We are going to give the coach the opportunity of continuing with the Eagles.”

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201006213593623

Comments : Well, well, I think the idea of continuity is actually an interesting one. What do you think? And by the way please don't spoil this topic.
Re: Lgerback Contract To Be Extended by Acidosis(m): 4:13am On Jun 21, 2010
Where are the wise in this nation? Almost all the foreign coaches that led african teams to S/A has successful failed!
Re: Lgerback Contract To Be Extended by omar22(m): 6:07am On Jun 21, 2010
Where are the wise in this nation? Almost all the foreign coaches that led african teams to S/A has successful failed!

Well if you dont win the world cup you failed, so 31 managers is going to fail, failure is an event not a person
Re: Lgerback Contract To Be Extended by medjai(m): 6:56am On Jun 21, 2010
They are just looking for a way to 'chop' money which was why they hired Lagerpay in the first place
Re: Lgerback Contract To Be Extended by 12large: 7:06am On Jun 21, 2010
oyibo man i go chop your dollar i go take your money dissapear you be the mugu i be the master. so they never learn lesson paying 1.5million for useless coach.
Re: Lgerback Contract To Be Extended by geniuscity: 11:16am On Jun 21, 2010
I think it's great news. I for 1 kinda like the Lagerbeer's input so far.
Re: Lgerback Contract To Be Extended by BabaO2: 11:23am On Jun 21, 2010
Patrick Ekeji should take cue from our colonial master.
Capello is sacked if he fails to qualifies England from group stage. What has lagerback done that Siasia cannot do?. Amodu would have given us the same results that lagerback gave us (playing two games and losing the two games). Enough of money wasting on irrelevant  like keeping largerback on the job.
Re: Lgerback Contract To Be Extended by otokx(m): 11:31am On Jun 21, 2010
This is like putting a wrong foot in the wrong direction; an action which will extend our days in the wilderness.
Re: Lgerback Contract To Be Extended by Kx: 11:34am On Jun 21, 2010
contract to be extended for failure?
Re: Lgerback Contract To Be Extended by rickie4us(m): 11:41am On Jun 21, 2010
please, tell us something different
Re: Lgerback Contract To Be Extended by DoubleN(m): 11:44am On Jun 21, 2010
omar22:

Well if you dont win the world cup you failed, so 31 managers is going to fail, failure is an event not a person
I disagree with you on that. It is one thing to fail, an another to fail honorably.We lack the latter in Nigeria.
Re: Lgerback Contract To Be Extended by Kgdavid(m): 11:47am On Jun 21, 2010
to continuity i say an emphatic yes. to lagerback i say an emphatic no. if we are going for continuity lets get siasia or eguavon into the job
Re: Lgerback Contract To Be Extended by texazzpete(m): 11:50am On Jun 21, 2010
Welcome development!!
in 5 years plus, all the local coaches with their wealth of experience in the Nigerian local league have failed woefully to upgrade the roster with fresh, young and hungry talent. our local coaches so far have been incompetent. Amodu was just the tip of the iceberg.

let's welcome a decent coach and give him some time to rebuild the Eagles. If we don't, we'll remain mired in mediocrity for ages to come. the likes of Etuhu and Odiah cannot be entrusted with the future of Nigerian football.
Re: Lgerback Contract To Be Extended by Gueke(m): 12:10pm On Jun 21, 2010
Was Lager beer not aware of the time frame before he boasted to make the super chickens reach Semifinals?Does he think it is difficult to lose a game?I can coach and lose myself.Winning is what we want, not "trying" cos Shaibu could have done that as well.Instead of giving Lager beer more time, it would be better to give Siasia that chance.
Re: Lgerback Contract To Be Extended by illskillz: 12:33pm On Jun 21, 2010
i guess is contract shud be extended its not abt the coach but the players.
Re: Lgerback Contract To Be Extended by nopuqeater: 12:35pm On Jun 21, 2010
shouldnt nigerian personnels be the leadership of nigerian squad?

are there no sport inspiration or past sport hero that can arouse the emotion of the individual players, to glue them together and make a team that is a force to shoulder the hope of nigeria seeing the possibility that Nigeria can actually win world cup?

i remember my high school soccer team that beat all other powerful high school teams in the old "western academicals" events eventually winning the omitota cup trophy. mr olushomoka was not even a soccer player, but a good manager by his ability to inspire. it was that that made every player fit into the team good enough to defeat every one that was presented against it.

such power houses like olivet grammar school, oyo, loyola college, ibadan, etc did not win that year, because my school team gained a lion heart with a spirit to win.

lets get people who were nigerian heros, if not of the past generations, but recent years, just like brazil got dunga and argentina got maradonna, men who are just a little bit older than the the players in the teams they coach. the success of these men is at least in part because they are able to get into the psyche of their players. they speak the same language, they belong to the same culture. they did not have to think in a foreign way and try to inject it into their squad because the outcome is that it will not come out 100% as the leadership had thought about it in his language.

i hope that nigeria knows it is better to even get old man christian chukwu, or someone in his playing era, than going to any place outside the boundary of nigeria. nigerians need to take their own destiny into their collective "hand".
Re: Lgerback Contract To Be Extended by landtraza(m): 12:41pm On Jun 21, 2010
well, as for me i think extending his contract is a really bold step in shaping our national team. i believe he can wine the ACN. cohosting by GABON AND EQUATORIAL GUINEA , And if possible pull a semi final come Brazil 2014 smileyi love the idea. smiley smiley smiley
Re: Lgerback Contract To Be Extended by supereagle(m): 12:50pm On Jun 21, 2010
The question we should ask ourselves is, what was the contribution of Largerpay to Swedish national team after 10 years on the saddle? He never had honour with them, rather they went down on FIFA ranking.
Re: Lgerback Contract To Be Extended by truly: 1:04pm On Jun 21, 2010
Gayigaskia:

He said Nigeria’s defeat against Greece was largely due to the inability of the players to rise to the situation they found themselves.

Ekeji said, ”The coach has shown so much promise with this team. What we intend to do is to give him more time to raise a formidable team for the country.
The Presidential Task Force is currently paying the salary of Lagerback for his initial five-month contract.
“It is good to allow continuity in sports. We are going to give the coach the opportunity of continuing with the Eagles.”

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201006213593623

Comments :   Well, well, I think the idea of continuity is actually an interesting one. What do you think? And by the way please don't spoil this topic.
Continuity is the objective of sports - the stupid swedish Football Federation that  sacked largeback do not know that
I have a better idea - let us actually show more seriouness in this regard and hire these guys as his assistants
- Domenech of France and Guen of Cameroon

They are telling me about continuity, the players could not rise to the ocassion etc
So the 5month contract was a ruse to smuggle in a coach who could not secure one world cup ticket from 13 available to 53 countries
Amond the 53 countries are territories like Faroes Island (pop 50,000) and San Marino (pop 30,000), Andorra (pop 85,000)

Did the coach rise to the ocassion of the red card?
Greek coach made a change and switched to attack mode 4 minutes after Kaita was sent off
And Lagging behind?

We should start campaigning for his sack immediately
Re: Lgerback Contract To Be Extended by OvieE: 1:09pm On Jun 21, 2010
omar22:

Good answer.

At end of the day only of coach will emerge victorious. Extending the contract is a good thing. The coach needs to start fresh, tell most of the player to go and never return back in Ozase. That is good for nothing.
Re: Lgerback Contract To Be Extended by omamokta: 1:15pm On Jun 21, 2010
kudos to NSC, its a right step. We cant continue changing coaches. The devil we know is beter than the angel we dont know. After seeing some improvements in our national team, i believe this man should be given sometime and freehand to run the national team. Thank God he will be living in the country, he can move around like westerhoff did then. the time frame for him was too short, we can assess him after say two or four years.
Re: Lgerback Contract To Be Extended by Youngichou(m): 1:36pm On Jun 21, 2010
Hmmmm am speechless on this one o
Re: Lgerback Contract To Be Extended by Doptimist2: 1:51pm On Jun 21, 2010
I still want to maintain my stand on this issue of Lagerback and Foreign coach, it will be a total mess for Lackback's contract to be extended cos,

1. Other Nigerian coaches did fail in their quest to take Super Eagles to the next level in the world cup but they failed, want did they get in return? Sack letter.

2. I think Nigerian should come the understanding that the problem of this team is not coach, it's discipline and determination to do something, cos this is the second foreign coach we've had in a period of 3years if I'm not mistaken, but all failed. I mean was it in the place of coach to have told Kaita about some football rules he needed to have known.

3. Better still, the super eagle squad should be dismantled and reshuffled. New recruit should be done leaving the good ones like Enyeama and Osase

4. As a matter of fact, coach Lagerback should be the very last Foreign Coach Nigeria will ever go for. Patronize our own and give them all the necessary support they need.
Re: Lgerback Contract To Be Extended by davidif: 1:58pm On Jun 21, 2010
excellent, excellent news. what we need is stability and continuity in the coaching position.
Re: Lgerback Contract To Be Extended by Dapsiyo: 2:03pm On Jun 21, 2010
The problem is not the prayers nor the coaches, but the system(NFF).
Re: Lgerback Contract To Be Extended by DisGuy: 2:37pm On Jun 21, 2010
Welcome development!! We need someone on more than one year contract in the NFF

This mr SiaSia everyone is shouting about, Why hasnt he been able to get a job somewhere else if he is that good??

Next step is to recruit NFF/NPL official from the private sector or allow KPMG or some other consultant interview applicants for jobs there
Re: Lgerback Contract To Be Extended by Nobody: 3:13pm On Jun 21, 2010
Way to go.but i think 4yrs is too long.2yrs is enough for any good coach to produce a good team then we assess him after the next nations cup i.e if he doesn't win it, he should be sacked. ppl like yobo should neva play for Nigeria again
Re: Lgerback Contract To Be Extended by Reptyle(m): 3:16pm On Jun 21, 2010
Good decision. But a two-year contract should be enough for the man to prove his mettle or leave. Part of the mandate should include facilitating the development of some of our local coaching talents like Siasia, Obuh, Eguavoen and Amokachi. Notice that I did not include Amodu on my small list. He should go and farm grin grin grin
Re: Lgerback Contract To Be Extended by davidif: 3:19pm On Jun 21, 2010
Dis Guy:

Welcome development!! We need someone on more than one year contract in the NFF

This mr SiaSia everyone is shouting about, Why hasnt he been able to get a job somewhere else if he is that good??

Next step is to recruit NFF/NPL official from the private sector or allow KPMG or some other consultant interview applicants for jobs there

Ose o jare, people seem to forget that Siasia has not won anything till date. He has only taken us to two finals and a quarter finals so i don't see what all the hoop la is about.
Re: Lgerback Contract To Be Extended by Spyker: 3:27pm On Jun 21, 2010
davidif:

Ose o jare, people seem to forget that Siasia has not won anything till date. He has only taken us to two finals and a quarter finals so i don't see what all the hoop la is about.

Do you need to win laurels before you become a good coach? I don't think so, your performance at tournaments will speak for you. If you think a coach need to win laurels to be called a good coach, then Arsenal should have fired Arsene Wenger a long time ago. Siasia is the best coach Nigeria has ever produced whether you like it or not. John Obuh is also good and in my opinion, the duo of John Obuh and Siasia should make up the technical team of the Super Eagles.

@Topic: The NFF can do what they like but the day and time of reckoning is coming soon. By extending Lagerbacks tenor to two years, at least up to the Nations cup, we will know if he is as good as he and the NFF claims.
Re: Lgerback Contract To Be Extended by paraphase(m): 3:46pm On Jun 21, 2010
undecided
Re: Lgerback Contract To Be Extended by bamac(m): 4:04pm On Jun 21, 2010
Double N:

I disagree with you on that. It is one thing to fail, an another to fail honorably.We lack the latter in Nigeria.
either u fail galantly or honourably failure na failure no other name. I think lagarbak shuld stay atleast i av seen some changes in d eagles. The man might have lost two matches already but d fact remains dt he has changed d eagles sotherefore he shuld stay.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Should Amodu Shuaibu Be Sacked? / Falconets Depart For U-20 Women’s Wc / Andres Iniesta Is Better Than Zinedine Zidane - But What Do YOU Think?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.