Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,331 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:54 AM

Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria (21398 Views)

Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria / UNILORIN Exam Questions About 2019 Elections (Political Science) / Why You Should Have Your Postgraduate Study In Canada (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by justflow1(m): 8:50pm On Aug 09, 2018
Rhymeyjohn:

very well. Business management and Finance are in line.

UNILAG PG forms are on sale, but Msc finance at UNILAG is very competitive. If you have a 2.1, you can apply and prepare for screening. Thanks
thanks but can the school (unilag) give preference for admission base on school (UNN) and grade (4.6/5.0) since the competition is high
Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by piagetskinner(m): 9:13pm On Aug 09, 2018
eve after masters no better work....

business is the best way to be financially free

3 Likes

Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by farydah: 9:23pm On Aug 09, 2018
nice topic OP. Please I am running an MSC Public admin program in national open university, what do you think? in terms of its acceptability/recognition?
Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by drakespearz(m): 9:54pm On Aug 09, 2018
ultimate77:
Can anyone say anything about msc in RUST i need to get myself enrolled. Its been 7yrs after 8sc
The form is is on sale currently now sir. It's Cool the school fee is over 100k.
Let me know if you're interested

1 Like

Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by Davoneskay(m): 9:58pm On Aug 09, 2018
babyfaceafrica:
lolx....how do you know this?
I'm about to finish my PG studies here at UI.
Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by DaRuud(m): 10:25pm On Aug 09, 2018
This is the best topic I ha e ever read on this forum

Rhymeyjohn:

A lot of questions bother prospective Masters and PhD students, but there aren’t correct answers. Postgraduate Nigeria question Nigerians ask about postgraduate study is a kind of faqs. Feel free to drop more questions, and we will gladly answer.

Must I have a Masters degree?                                                                                                   Well…. YES or No, the choice is yours. You simply need a minimum tertiary education for a good head start in career. But if you desire something extra in the career path, you may need aMasters degree. Though this is not absolute.

Is it only prospective lecturers that study for a PhD?
  No. Though teaching staff or lecturers in universities and other tertiary institutions are expected to have a PhD, Lecturing is not the exclusive career path for Doctorate degree holder. They can work in research institutes, world bodies, government and so on.

Every body is doing Masters, does it help to get job?
  A Master degree does not help in getting entry level jobs. It’s a sad reality of the Nigerian situation, with many unemployed people. Many graduates just keep busy by enrolling for a Masters degree; at least, it prevents the brain from atrophy.

Can a third class graduate do a Master degree?
    No. To study for a Masters degree, a third class graduate would need to have a Postgraduate diploma (PGD) in the desired course.  In some rare cases, a third class graduate with many years of experiencecan be admitted for professional masters like MBA.Please,

which one is M.Phil again?                                                                                          M.Phil is Master of Philosophy. It is an intermediate Masters degree for those who don’t meet the requirement for direct admission into a PhD. In many cases, it is non terminal, so the student continues straight in the PhD after meeting a pass mark.

How do Medical doctors become professors, without Masters?                               It depends on the area of specialization. Some Medical doctors study for a Masters and PhD especially in the Preclinicals/ basic medical sciences. Also, residency is a kind of Masters, a rigorous training for years with exams at the end. I believe at some point, they will choose between becoming a Consultant with pure hospital duties or they follow the academic line and become a professor.

What is the fastest time to do a Masters or PhD?                                             
 Fastest is relative. In the Nigerian context, the fastest time within which a Master degree can be gotten is 1 year, but it is safe to say 18 months considering factors like proposal, external defence, e.t.c. The fastest time to bag a PhD in Nigeria is 3 years. Even if all work has been completed, the student isn’t allowed to graduate till the third session.     In the U.K, a Masters degree can be gotten within 9-12 months.

Are Nigerian certificates accepted abroad for Masters and PhD?                
  Yes, As long as the university is approved by the NUC. Beyond the certificates, the transcript is more important for admission decision.

I need cheap Nigerian universities to earn a Masters degree                    
Cheap…….! In terms of quality or cost. If it’s in terms of quality, that would be a terrible mistake, as your it would mean raising a high academic tower without structure. It terms of cost, Federal universities are cheaper to study for a Masters. In addition, universities in the North are very cheap because postgraduate education demand is low. In general, Postgraduate studies (Masters, PhD etal) is cheap in Nigeria, compared to many other countries.

Why do people prefer Federal Universities for Postgraduate study?
            For reason stated above, i.e cost. In addition, Federal universities are more funded and better staffed than state and private ones. There is also the advantage of access to international network to foreign research organizations and grants. Finally, many Federal universities have research institutes in their vicinity that aid academic research work.

What does M.B.A mean?                                                                                                       Master of Business Administration. It is a professional Master degree.

Any difference between professional and academic Masters degree?
  Yes. Professional Master is focused on career workers, who need to update their knowledge within the field of their work. It is mainly course based, with assignment, term papers and case studies as significant part of its curriculum. Academic Masters is for those who would be lecturers and research staff. It combines course work and thesis, with thesis having the highest weight. Academic Masters degree holders proceed directly to PhD.

What is a PGDE                                                                                                        Post Graduate Diploma in Educationhttp://postgraduatenigeria.com.ng/2017/01/course-review-postgraduate-diploma-in/

Why are some M.B.A called executive MBA?
    It’s a terminology, used majorly by University of Lagos. Executive MBA is reordered to suit the top level working class. So this MBA holds in the evenings of week days from 6pm or at weekends.Bring on more questions.
http://postgraduatenigeria.com.ng/2018/08/top-questions-about-postgraduate-study-in-nigeria/
Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by laka2016: 10:32pm On Aug 09, 2018
Quality20:
Usmanu Danfodiyo University Sokoto(UDUS) is probably d coolest place to d PG programs.
cheap fees, about 104k per session and easy admission without stress ,even students per class could b as low as 3 or even 2 and at most 10. And what more , a 3rd class graduate can be admitted for masters if he/she has at least 5 yrs postgraduate relevant working experience.
Overall I think UDUS is d cheapest PG school in d country, with highly skilled manpower and new/standard amenities and infrastructures.
The application forms is currently on sale at d cost of 10k and sales of d form closes next month,except if extended
I beg to disagree with you sir
All you said about UDUS is not entitely true. I hope you don't want to delibrately misslead people..It's faculty of education is worst hit by the number of sadist lecturers there. It took my wife over five years for her to finish her masters Program in the faculty. And I know another close family friend who has to abandon her own Program after several years without making head way. UDUS is not a kind of school I'll recomend to a friend.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by babyfaceafrica: 10:41pm On Aug 09, 2018
Davoneskay:

I'm about to finish my PG studies here at UI.
oga..me sef dey ui..it is not like that generally.. just say your dept
Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by ultimate77(m): 11:09pm On Aug 09, 2018
drakespearz:

The form is is on sale currently now sir. It's Cool the school fee is over 100k.
Let me know if you're interested
sure i am very much interested.. Ive asked so many peple to check it out for me but all are just as disfunctional as the 'p' in 'psychology'

please i like to know how much the form goes for and the processes.
Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by ultimate77(m): 11:19pm On Aug 09, 2018
micflo28:
People who travel out to study and still come back to the country to search for jobs are missing out on something. The best place to run an MSc. Is in Nigerian lofty public universities and most likely a professional Masters, there you would meet top managers, budding or CEO's, politicians etc who could be of help to you getting a job or further a business venture if you influence their academic pursuit positively. If you know, you know.

bros you are a sharp man.... My guy did his msc in rust in ph during that time he was begging me to apply that with my level of intelligence and problem solving skill esp. In academic field that i will get so many friends majoring top business men and women esp when it has to do with social sciences,

mhen, life on its own at that time wasnt anything to write about, its pass 3yrs now, i just have to take the bull by the horn.

1 Like

Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by RealityShot: 11:27pm On Aug 09, 2018
Olanireti:
Someone that studied Mass Communication in Polytechnic but later desires a career in Teaching, how can the person go about the PGDE?
just purchase the form at your school of choice.

Google is your friend
Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by babyfalo: 11:33pm On Aug 09, 2018
Rhymeyjohn:

a pass degree is no more recognised, don't know how to advice you. If I can ask you few questions before saying

Go ahead and ask your question
Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by ultimate77(m): 11:34pm On Aug 09, 2018
there are so many questions I've bean meaning to ask i think this is the best platform for that.

Please guys, i studied economics(2011) I graduated with 2nd class lower, i don't want to continue with economics, i already important obsessed with computer engineering. Nite withstanding, i would love to swerve to computer but i don't want any pgd crap or go take back o level sciences.

I can also take any social sciences course in msc.

I like to know if i can also go for international relations, MBA, psychology, and if there is any other field i can take on MSC. I WIll gladly appreciate recommendations.

I actually want to practice computer engineering, i have the skills already.

The initial plan was for a MSC HEALTH ECONOMICS But since the country wasn't yielding nothing i had to pull off from those.

Please id appreciate a clear insight as to what will go well in my case. Thanks
Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:38pm On Aug 09, 2018
micflo28:
People who travel out to study and still come back to the country to search for jobs are missing out on something. The best place to run an MSc. Is in Nigerian lofty public universities and most likely a professional Masters, there you would meet top managers, budding or CEO's, politicians etc who could be of help to you getting a job or further a business venture if you influence their academic pursuit positively. If you know, you know.
Your assertion is not true. I have seen first class graduate and overall best in m.sc roaming the street of Nsukka
Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by ezewealth(m): 11:45pm On Aug 09, 2018
Pls can someone with cgp of 3.38, apply for scholarship in abroad
Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by Quality20(m): 12:38am On Aug 10, 2018
kings09:

Wat of someone interested but resides in Lagos
just fill dform online and u will b notified by email if u are admitted
Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by Quality20(m): 12:39am On Aug 10, 2018
GentlePEACE:
how do one apply, no link?
google udus pg
Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by Quality20(m): 12:42am On Aug 10, 2018
Ugosample:

good for you

and all the best

But that rumour that aboki lecturers suffer students from the South, is it true?
I haven't heard of that b4. Lecturers here are from all over d country, just as students are from across d country
Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by Quality20(m): 12:48am On Aug 10, 2018
laka2016:
I beg to disagree with you sir
All you said about UDUS is not entitely true. I hope you don't want to delibrately misslead people..It's faculty of education is worst hit by the number of sadist lecturers there. It took my wife over five years for her to finish her masters Program in the faculty. And I know another close family friend who has to abandon her own Program after several years without making head way. UDUS is not a kind of school I'll recomend to a friend.
well u can't use that to generalise o. Cos every one goes thru his/her challenges individually not a collective one
Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by ChinagoChiBoy: 2:38am On Aug 10, 2018
DIDACTIC
Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by vinsilva(m): 5:00am On Aug 10, 2018
I am presently a level 300 student of Chemistry(pure), I wish to apply for Msc studies immediately after first degree, from all indications I would be graduating with a 4. cgpa. What are my chances of securing admission in pharmaceutical and medicinal chemistry considering the fact that only a limited number of Nigerian public universities presently run the program. And i would also appreciate contributions from individuals already in the field.
Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by naijajobx: 6:15am On Aug 10, 2018
hmmm
Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by gracechellar(f): 6:30am On Aug 10, 2018
ultimate77:
there are so many questions I've bean meaning to ask i think this is the best platform for that.

Please guys, i studied economics(2011) I graduated with 2nd class lower, i don't want to continue with economics, i already important obsessed with computer engineering. Nite withstanding, i would love to swerve to computer but i don't want any pgd crap or go take back o level sciences.

I like to know if i can also go for international relations, MBA, psychology, and if there is any other field i can take on MSC. I WIll gladly appreciate recommendations.

The initial plan was for a MSC HEALTH ECONOMICS But since the country wasn't yielding nothing i had to pull off from those.

Home or abroad?
Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by ultimate77(m): 8:03am On Aug 10, 2018
gracechellar:
Home or abroad?
home
Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by lakland(m): 8:20am On Aug 10, 2018
vinsilva:
I am presently a level 300 student of Chemistry(pure), I wish to apply for Msc studies immediately after first degree, from all indications I would be graduating with a 4. cgpa. What are my chances of securing admission in pharmaceutical and medicinal chemistry considering the fact that only a limited number of Nigerian public universities presently run the program. And i would also appreciate contributions from individuals already in the field.

You have high chance of getting in for Pharmaceutical Chemistry in Unilag.
Once you applied and perform well at above 60% in the entrance exam.
Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by Dface2: 10:49am On Aug 10, 2018
Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by Quality20(m): 11:34am On Aug 10, 2018
Rhymeyjohn:

a pass degree is no more recognised, don't know how to advice you. If I can ask you few questions before saying
well ABU gives admission to those with pass for PGD, except of course d course u applied is oversubscribed, then in that case even some with higher grades could b edged out
Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by noahnaira: 11:42am On Aug 10, 2018
ultimate77:
Can anyone say anything about msc in RUST i need to get myself enrolled. Its been 7yrs after 8sc
The form is currently on. For Ms.C its 2.40 and above.
Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by Yello1(m): 12:31pm On Aug 10, 2018
Ugosample:

how does that m Phil work tho?

Does the person move to year 2 of the PhD after the M.Phil?

or after M.Phil, the person will still do three years for PhD?

MPhil grade differs from MPhil/PhD grade. A person who graduated with a MPhil grade will apply for an MPhil programme which will last for a period of one year and maybe some month after which such person will be awarded a MPhil certificate. On d contrary, a person who graduated with a. MPhil/PhD grade will apply for a PhD programme but such a person will write a conversion exams after his or her course work and must acquire 60percent of his total points den such a person will commence his thesis writeup. If such person didn't make up to 60 percent such will be drop for MPhil programme. My little understanding

2 Likes

Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by ultimate77(m): 12:52pm On Aug 10, 2018
noahnaira:

The form is currently on. For Ms.C its 2.40 and above.
Thanks very much. Please do you have an idea on how much the form is sold for?
Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by emmahoney(m): 3:11pm On Aug 10, 2018
Yello1:

MPhil grade differs from MPhil/PhD grade. A person who graduated with a MPhil grade will apply for an MPhil programme which will last for a period of one year and maybe some month after which such person will be awarded a MPhil certificate. On d contrary, a person who graduated with a. MPhil/PhD grade will apply for a PhD programme but such a person will write a conversion exams after his or her course work and must acquire 60percent of his total points den such a person will commence his thesis writeup. If such person didn't make up to 60 percent such will be drop for MPhil programme. My little understanding
You are correct except where you said that anyone with MPhil/PhD will apply for PhD. Such individual will have to apply for MPhil/PhD which can later be converted to PhD upon satisfactory performance .

However, some schools use to place students who even made minimum of "PhD Grade " on MPhil/PhD programme mainly because they didn't do M.Sc in their schools (Nigerian Schools).

1 Like

Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by Rhymeyjohn: 4:42pm On Aug 10, 2018
ultimate77:

why not apply to a Masters in IT at UNILAG or NOUN

For software engineering, you would need to have a pgd.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Jamb Cut Off Mark / Olusa Hits 30 Hours In Quest To Break Guinness World Record For Longest Speech / JAMB: Fraudsters Take Control Of Our Site, Divert N10m Allowance Of Ad-hoc Staff

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.