Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,238 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:25 AM

Onoja: What We Did To Biafra Soldiers During The Civil War - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Onoja: What We Did To Biafra Soldiers During The Civil War (23905 Views)

Boko Haram Terrorists Fleeing From Soldiers During A Fierce Battle Yesterday / BREAKING: Atiku’s Witness Admits Paying N10,000 To Soldiers During Election / Accidental Discharge Kills 2 Soldiers During Training (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Onoja: What We Did To Biafra Soldiers During The Civil War by inyenejo(m): 12:38pm On Aug 09, 2018
OPEN UR EYES NIGERIANS, THEY WANT TO USE THIS STORY TO MAKE SS/SE PEOPLE NOT KICK AGAINST THE CURRENT KILLINGS IN BENUE
Re: Onoja: What We Did To Biafra Soldiers During The Civil War by Nobody: 12:40pm On Aug 09, 2018
Ever8054:
mad man, take it easy people are dying everywhere even in Igbo land...one way or the other we must surely die at a time...so while jubilating the killings in Benue state have it at the back of ya mind that death is a uniform everyone will wear it and stop been stupid...

Benue is already wearing their own mass uniform of death in batches.

3 Likes

Re: Onoja: What We Did To Biafra Soldiers During The Civil War by Nobody: 12:41pm On Aug 09, 2018
dasauce:

Hey Kiddo
When elders are talking..you shut up and listen..
Oh I forgot..You're from PoTo

OK have a nice day....

Ask those that fought war...what is like?

1 Like

Re: Onoja: What We Did To Biafra Soldiers During The Civil War by Nobody: 12:43pm On Aug 09, 2018
Wifimoney1:

You are making it clear you don't know what you're talking about. You call 'war' as if you will stand when you see what real war is. Bros you are a lazy youth joor. Eh jo ko!

War will not take Nigerians where they're supposed to be, it's because we as youths are not ready to hold the bull by the horn. Can the Government kill or arrest over a thousand youths who stand up for what is right?

No time my people, what will our children say about us and what good did we leave for them? Just the way we are insulting OBJ & IBB, na so them go yab us too. So choose what you want.

One Nigeria, One People.

One Nigeria one people......I reject that.

Please tell me what we have in common to remain as one?

2 Likes

Re: Onoja: What We Did To Biafra Soldiers During The Civil War by Nobody: 12:44pm On Aug 09, 2018
bluecircle470:

I salute your stupidity

By their comment we shall know them.....
Re: Onoja: What We Did To Biafra Soldiers During The Civil War by Nobody: 12:46pm On Aug 09, 2018
Ahmedhussain3463:
u are pained sorri look for pain killer

Ahmed hussain more like saddam hussain and Osama bin laden.

2 Likes

Re: Onoja: What We Did To Biafra Soldiers During The Civil War by Strikethem: 1:12pm On Aug 09, 2018
Bane2020:

There were pockets of violence committed by Biafran soldiers in the Midwest, at least no truthful Igbo will deny that. But the Federal side took violence on their own side to a whole new level of barbarism, I'm not sure Biafrans rounded up thousands of innocent civilians and shot them in cold blooded frenzy like was documented in Asaba... that singular act alone dwarfed any Biafran atrocity.
So why have you been denying it since?

1 Like

Re: Onoja: What We Did To Biafra Soldiers During The Civil War by Chemcrown: 1:19pm On Aug 09, 2018
gidgiddy:

It was not Gowons job to collapse the region's into states. The Region were negotiated by representatives of the people at independence. Gowons job was to hold elections and return Nigeria to democratic civil rule.

How can Gowon who was never elected into office come from nowhere to destroy the 4 Regions that were democratically created? That was very wrong

But Ironsi never planned to achieve this feat you want Gowon to achieve.

1 Like

Re: Onoja: What We Did To Biafra Soldiers During The Civil War by Igboesika: 1:40pm On Aug 09, 2018
Printerscanner:

He does not need to tell you, ask your father how his own father who was your grandfather was killed with your grandmother. When you people picked up arms and ammunition against the Federal Government of Nigeria what were you expecting? Hand shakes or warm body hugs. If you start another nonsense, the 1967 to 1970 Christmas party will be repeated.
Political illiterate .. See how you are embarrassing yourself.
If you are not dumb you would have known that the two sides had many casualties. Even when this man stated it clearly during his interview, yet you didn't fail to showcase your inability to comprehend.

Ignorance is a disease.

4 Likes

Re: Onoja: What We Did To Biafra Soldiers During The Civil War by gidgiddy: 1:43pm On Aug 09, 2018
TimeManager:

I must have been engaging a mumu all the while.
Quick reminder; A military government rules by Decree. Anything done is binding.

Then you need more education because military rule is illegal and therefore any constitutional change made by the military is never binding, especially when civilian rule returns.

Gowon NEVER had a deal nor responsibility to conduct no election, rather, he came on, given the urgency of the time to stabilise an highly tensed nation following a counter coup. I know y'all would always deliberately flip over the fact that Aguiyi Ironsi collapsed our regional system into a unitary system.

kiss the truth!

Gowon signed a deal in Aburi Ghana and one of the points was that Gowon could not change the structure of Nigeria without the permission of all 4 Regions. Gowon broke this agreement when he created states and this led to the war.

When Ironsi came in he met 4 Regions, he also left 4 Regions. Gowon met 4 Regions and left 12 states.

Had Gowon left 4 Regions just like Ironsi did, Nigeria would have reverted to what it was practicing whenever civilian rule returned. But because Gowon destroyed the 4 Regions, civilians had nothing to return back to.

Ironsi did not do 5% of the damage Gowon did
Re: Onoja: What We Did To Biafra Soldiers During The Civil War by gidgiddy: 1:44pm On Aug 09, 2018
Chemcrown:

But Ironsi never planned to achieve this feat you want Gowon to achieve.

What feat?
Re: Onoja: What We Did To Biafra Soldiers During The Civil War by mpianya39(m): 1:56pm On Aug 09, 2018
Printerscanner:

He does not need to tell you, ask your father how his own father who was your grandfather was killed with your grandmother. When you people picked up arms and ammunition against the Federal Government of Nigeria what were you expecting? Hand shakes or warm body hugs. If you start another nonsense, the 1967 to 1970 Christmas party will be repeated.

Where you born in 1967 during nigerian/biafran war?? If you're answer is NO!

I just pity your generation unborn undecided

1 Like

Re: Onoja: What We Did To Biafra Soldiers During The Civil War by bloodykiller: 2:22pm On Aug 09, 2018
[s]
TimeManager:

They can only deceive themselves not Us. Ojukwu quickly declared the Mid west a Biafra Protectorate after having evaded it with account of apparent atrocities perpetrated by the biafran soilders until it was later liberated by the Nigerian Army.

kiss the truth!
[/s]
trash trash trash. Kiss the truth
Re: Onoja: What We Did To Biafra Soldiers During The Civil War by bloodykiller: 2:22pm On Aug 09, 2018
[s]
TimeManager:

Enough of the chest beating megalomania.. It was a war against a brother and not a foe which explained the obvious supplies of foods and medical aids and relief materials given to biafran civilians by the FG under the supervision of the "Sage" Obafemi Awolowo. Otherwise the region would have been completely wiped out.

kiss the truth!
[/s]
more trash
kiss the truth

1 Like

Re: Onoja: What We Did To Biafra Soldiers During The Civil War by bloodykiller: 2:23pm On Aug 09, 2018
TimeManager:

I must have been engaging a mumu all the while.
Quick reminder; A military government rules by Decree. Anything done is binding. Gowon NEVER had a deal nor responsibility to conduct no election, rather, he came on, given the urgency of the time to stabilise an highly tensed nation following a counter coup. I know y'all would always deliberately flip over the fact that Aguiyi Ironsi collapsed our regional system into a unitary system.

kiss the truth!
mynd44 lalasticlala seun obinoscopy
rule 2
Re: Onoja: What We Did To Biafra Soldiers During The Civil War by bloodykiller: 2:24pm On Aug 09, 2018
[s]
TimeManager:

You've been damaged into believing your own lies and concoctions. Deluded twa:t.. smh

kiss the truth!
[/s]
claptrap and stupid trash
kiss the truth

1 Like

Re: Onoja: What We Did To Biafra Soldiers During The Civil War by bloodykiller: 2:27pm On Aug 09, 2018
PapalsBull:
awolowo is a rat poison king
cool
Re: Onoja: What We Did To Biafra Soldiers During The Civil War by bloodykiller: 2:27pm On Aug 09, 2018
PapalsBull:
abiola of cursed memory is a rifraf
Re: Onoja: What We Did To Biafra Soldiers During The Civil War by Cowbuhari: 2:35pm On Aug 09, 2018
Juliusmalema:
Imaginary paedophile will just come out and be spewing trash.....anyway....

How is Benue state faring today since u fought the war against biafrans?

How is the massacre in Benue today?
Has peace returned. To benue?
Look at the old fool they are mowing his people down is talking how he fought a genocidal war....

Karma is bitch and benue state is suffering for the consequences of their actions....

Una neva see anything...

well spoken my brother

1 Like

Re: Onoja: What We Did To Biafra Soldiers During The Civil War by Chemcrown: 2:45pm On Aug 09, 2018
gidgiddy:

What feat?

thanks bro. The feat of returning power back to civilian and correction, Ironsi starts unitary system of government.

1 Like

Re: Onoja: What We Did To Biafra Soldiers During The Civil War by gidgiddy: 4:08pm On Aug 09, 2018
Chemcrown:

thanks bro. The feat of returning power back to civilian and correction, Ironsi starts unitary system of government.

He was just there for 6 months. Gowon who took over from him was there for 9 years but still didn't handover to civilians

1 Like

Re: Onoja: What We Did To Biafra Soldiers During The Civil War by Strikethem: 4:47pm On Aug 09, 2018
Bane2020:

If you can't grasp simple context clues then you have to do better at basic reading and comprehension. But let me break it down for you, Nigeria got OVERWHELMING support from Britain, the former Soviet Union, Egyptian pilots flew your illyushin bombers for you, and wrecked untold horrors on non military facilities...the Nigerian cost of war expenditure ran into incalculable millions... the Brits gave you tanks, ferrets, Saladin armored cars, artillery guns and pieces of all ranges and calibers, war planes, kits, preponderance of heavy to small machine gunsetc...

Biafra on the other hand got pretty much little to nothing in form of military support from world powers, we got just sympathy of promises, diplomatic recognitions from few countries, relief materials, and the closest to military aid we got was mostly obsolete WW2 sten guns, Cetme rifles, Mark 4 bolt action rifles(the type that makes shakakpum! when fired?... yeah picture that against the ratatatata of Nigerian machine guns in a typical battle scenario) few Kalashinovs, mortal barrels with poor ranges, and 60% of our weapons actually captured from the Nigerian soldiers... and the ubiquitous Ogbunigwe that was pretty much the mainstay of our defence, so yes in comparison to Nigeria... we were pretty much fighting the war by ourselves.
Okay, Nigeria side fought the war by another people.
Re: Onoja: What We Did To Biafra Soldiers During The Civil War by Sunnywhite33: 7:01pm On Aug 09, 2018
Juliusmalema:

Look at the old fool they are mowing his people down is talking how he fought a genocidal war....

Karma is bitch and benue state is suffering for the consequences of their actions....

Una neva see anything...
So after all the school your parents wasted money for, u still don't have sense.. It is your type that will insult on social media, but I can bet you if you see this same man, u will be a most humble and respectful person to him

1 Like

Re: Onoja: What We Did To Biafra Soldiers During The Civil War by Nobody: 7:07pm On Aug 09, 2018
Sunnywhite33:

So after all the school your parents wasted money for, u still don't have sense.. It is your type that will insult on social media, but I can bet you if you see this same man, u will be a most humble and respectful person to him

Who cares to meet a conquered territory?
Re: Onoja: What We Did To Biafra Soldiers During The Civil War by T9ksy(m): 7:38pm On Aug 09, 2018
gidgiddy:

Ojukwu had ulterior ambition? That's news to us Igbos. What was this ambition? A new country and new begining? That is exactly what the East wanted at the time.

Ojukwu did not have the luxury of proper planning or logistics. Gowon had announced the abolishment of the 4 Regions including the Eastern Region and Ojukwu was left with 2 choices, declare Biafra now or or become a slave of the caliphate

Ojukwu declared Biafra and Nigeria declared war. So it's not like Ojukwu had all the time in the world to prepare for war but he gave a good account of himself for 3 years and that's what matters to his people.

So Ojukwu (and extension the ibos) wanted a new country and beginning? But that "new country" have to include non-ibos' land or wth was he going about annexing other people's land into his "new country?

So Ojukwu did not have time to plan his egocentric war but he boasted to Awo at their enugu meeting that he has been planning the war for over a year and how he started with 6 dane guns but now has accumulated enough "shakabula" to fight the whole federal forces?

Ojukwu took the option of fighting a war his chances of winning were slim, lost millions of souls and in the end still came back to lick the Sokoto caliphate's behind. Same as the slimy Zik did in the 1st republic.

You "re just been impish when you wrote that last paragragh. Secession was not in our constitution , no thanks to your father of pseudo-nationalism who insisted then that "we are all one" inspite of our obvious differences.

When issac boro wanted to seceed in 1966, Ironsi and Ojukwu were too glad to stop him but now that Ojukwu wanted to do the same thing and you all were expecting him to do otherwise. Double standards in the making!!!

1 Like

Re: Onoja: What We Did To Biafra Soldiers During The Civil War by T9ksy(m): 7:43pm On Aug 09, 2018
stevedre:

Nothing ne[s]w. One time in a world war, the German military celebrated Christmas and it was recorded, had a football match with their enemies the Brit's. Later that evening they started killing each other after exchanging gifts earlier the same day.
Most foot soldier's have friends, in-laws and sometimes relatives behind enemy lines but unfortunately they must obey orders.
So many war's are avoidable and worse part is at the end, most of those who started it live to tell the tales in future.[/s]

Trash.
Did the germans at any point during the war expected the allied forces to feed them to pepertuate the war?
Re: Onoja: What We Did To Biafra Soldiers During The Civil War by potterdon: 7:56pm On Aug 09, 2018
owukpa:
Former military governor of Katsina and Plateau States, General Lawrence Onoja has revealed his civil war memoirs.

Onoja, 70, who fought gallantly during the civil war, which lasted between 1967 and 1970, recalled his encounter with the Biafran soldiers.

The retired war hero, said his surviving the war was a miracle of God, noting that many of his friends could not make it.

Speaking with DAILY POST, Onoja, a native of Benue State, recalled how they would send cigarettes and beer across the water to some Biafran soldiers during the war.

He said, “Surviving the war was a miracle of God. A lot of Idoma officers, who were with me in Port Harcourt were killed. I remember when they brought the dead bodies of George Lawani (younger brother to former deputy governor of Benue State) Col Shambe, a Tiv man, Francis Oluma, a native of Adoka here in Benue. I was very young.

“One day, I just received a call from the late Benjamin Adekule (Black Scorpion) in front of his office. I could remember vividly that what was written on the steel helmet in front of his office was ‘enter my office at the pain of death.’

“Adkunle posted me to meet my kinsman, Ignatius Obeya who was the then Brigadier Commander at Itu, CrossRiver State.

“At that time, you couldn’t connect Port Harcourt from Calabar because there was no road, you had to go through Aba, which was already held by Biafra.

“So, we had to connect through Igwenga to Abak, then we connected Oron before finally crossing to Calabar.

“I reported to Brig Obeya, Rtd and I was part of the operation from crossing Calabar to Itu through a river called Ikoto Okpora. I was made a brigade major to Obeya to ensure that the three battalions in the brigade were effectually controlled and commanded to fight the war.

“We were facing a place called Arochukwu across the water at the time. The Biafra soldiers were on the other side while the Nigerian troops were on this side. It was very funny, because every morning, we would wake up and talked to ourselves across the water. The Biafra soldiers would tell us, Gowon and Ojukwu are enjoying themselves in Aburi and we are busy fighting ourselves here, please give us some food, we would then throw cigarettes and sometimes beer to them across the water. “But after at about an hour, we would start shooting at ourselves. I went through all this and came out alive, I think at 70, I would say I am a fulfilled man.”

http://dailypost.ng/2018/08/08/biafran-soldiers-civil-war-gen-onoja

what a useless lie by a silly old man. He has for gotten the events of aburi accord were months before the war. None of them went to Ghana again after that failed accord. I hope he ends up like his black scropion friend a proverty ridden swine
Re: Onoja: What We Did To Biafra Soldiers During The Civil War by xenten: 8:18pm On Aug 09, 2018
Juliusmalema:

Una neva see anything...

So much bile in you...
Re: Onoja: What We Did To Biafra Soldiers During The Civil War by gidgiddy: 8:22pm On Aug 09, 2018
T9ksy:

So Ojukwu (and extension the ibos) wanted a new country and beginning? But that "new country" have to include non-ibos' land or wth was he going about annexing other people's land into his "new country?

Ojukwu asked the Eastern consultative forum which was comprised of leaders, representatives and chiefs on the 20 provinces what they wanted. They deliberated and gave Ojukwu the mandate to declare the Eastern Region a separate state. In fact, an Ijaw man called Frank Opigo, who was then head of Bayelsa province, suggested to Ojukwu that the new country be called Biafra. So if anyone is thinking that Ojukwu just got up one day and took over people's lands, they should think again. That narrative is from the Lagos/Ibadan clueless media

So Ojukwu did not have time to plan his egocentric war but he boasted to Awo at their enugu meeting that he has been planning the war for over a year and how he started with 6 dane guns but now has accumulated enough "shakabula" to fight the whole federal forces?

Ojukwu and Awolowo had a closed door meeting between both of them. So unless you were present, don't speculate on what was said.

Ojukwu took the option of fighting a war his chances of winning were slim, lost millions of souls and in the end still came back to lick the Sokoto caliphate's behind. Same as the slimy Zik did in the 1st republic.

I would rather that Ojukwu fought for the freedom of his people with slim chances of winning than be the Western Region who readily submitted themselves to be Northern slaves out of cowardice. I would rather fight with catapult for my freedom and lose than present myself for subjugation on the excuse that "I'm not prepared".

You "re just been impish when you wrote that last paragragh. Secession was not in our constitution , no thanks to your father of pseudo-nationalism who insisted then that "we are all one" inspite of our obvious differences

Secession was not in our constitution but even if was, it would have made no difference. Under military rule, the constitution is suspended

When issac boro wanted to seceed in 1966, Ironsi and Ojukwu were too glad to stop him but now that Ojukwu wanted to do the same thing and you all were expecting him to do otherwise. Double standards in the making!!!

Isaac Boro wanted to secede? One man cannot secede. Secession means that you control an area and you declare its independence. What Isaac Boro did was militancy and not secession for he controlled no area and could not possibly be seceding anywhere
Re: Onoja: What We Did To Biafra Soldiers During The Civil War by DaCharis2016: 8:38pm On Aug 09, 2018
Juliusmalema:

Una neva see anything...
Before you launch out attack, criticism or judgement on social media pls try to read the writing over and over again. The elder stateman only shared a very good experience we could relate to as youths in this era and you're insulting him.

kindly be respectful to your elders.

I never insult you ooh.

1 Like

Re: Onoja: What We Did To Biafra Soldiers During The Civil War by DaCharis2016: 8:50pm On Aug 09, 2018
Juliusmalema:

Una neva see anything...
Re: Onoja: What We Did To Biafra Soldiers During The Civil War by Nobody: 8:51pm On Aug 09, 2018
DaCharis2016:
Before you launch out attack, criticism or judgement on social media pls try to read the writing over and over again. The elder stateman only shared a very good experience we could relate to as youths in this era and you're insulting him.

kindly be respectful to your elders.

I never insult you ooh.

Ok

Good night then....

I never see anything good to share about biafran war.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

FG Begins Disbursement Of ₦‎200 Billion Palliative Loans / Seyi Makinde Appoints Bolaji Ayorinde & Yemi Aderibigbe As Aides / Hakeem Odumosu Warns Ikorodu Traditionalists To Stop Fortifying Gang Members

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.