Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,172 members, 7,821,977 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:19 PM

Urgent Advice Of A Diabetic Doctor Needed - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Urgent Advice Of A Diabetic Doctor Needed (1680 Views)

Could These Fruits Be Harmful To A Diabetic Patient? / Diabetic Diet: How Lemon And Lemon Water Can Help Cure Diabetes / Foods A Diabetic Should Never Eat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Urgent Advice Of A Diabetic Doctor Needed by Olafimihan(m): 2:56pm On Mar 29, 2007
Recently I learnt about a fruit juice ,FRUIT SQUEEZE, that it is good for diabetic patients. Please I want any diabetician in the house to give proper advice on the said juice product ,though the president of Diabetic Ass. of Nigeria endorse the product, SO AS NOT TO MISLEAD PEOPLE .
Re: Urgent Advice Of A Diabetic Doctor Needed by Rlst84sale(m): 1:46am On Apr 09, 2007
1) Go to this website you will get a lot of info that can hlep you a great deal WWW.HACRES.COM you will find a lot of info to help you eliminate the disease. Good luck

2) Also contact this email in Lagos Tsfchurch@yahoo.com. The man came to train here in The U.S he will be able to help you. Good luck and God bless.
Re: Urgent Advice Of A Diabetic Doctor Needed by kebab(f): 4:09pm On Apr 13, 2007
fruit juice is good for a diabetic patient but it is better to eat the fresh fruit because it contains fiber. Fiber is also known as roughage, fiber is the part of plant food your body cannot digest. Fiber relieves constipation, lowers blood cholesterol levels, and apparently slows down the rate of carbohydrate digestion, reducing carbohydrate-induced elevations of blood sugar. Increase your fiber intake by switching to whole-grain breads, cereals and crackers. Eat more vegetables -- raw and cooked. Instead of fruit juice, eat fresh, whole fruit.

Diet is a vital component in diabetic control program. It is important to maintain appropriate blood sugar (glucose) and blood fat (cholesterol and triglyceride) levels.
Basic Nutrition for People with Diabetes
Although foods contain many nutrients, it is easiest to categorize them in three groups: carbohydrates, proteins, and fats.
•Carbohydrate foods include bread, potatoes, rice, crackers, cookies, sugar, fruit, vegetables, and pasta. When digested, carbohydrates provide fuel for energy.
•Protein foods include meat, poultry, fish, eggs, cheese, dried beans, and legumes. When digested, protein is used to build and repair your body. Some protein may also be used as fuel for energy.
•Fat foods include butter, margarine, cooking oil, cream, bacon, and nuts. When digested, fats are stored as fat cells or later used as fuel for energy.

You may use exchange lists to help you plan meals and snacks. Exchange lists are groups of foods that contain roughly the same mix of carbohydrates, protein, fat, and calories. There are six exchange lists:
1. Starches and Breads
2. Meats and Meat Substitutes
3. Vegetables
4. Fruits
5. Milk
6. Fats

You need foods from all six lists for complete nutrition. Foods on the exchange lists are familiar, everyday items you can buy at the market.Your meal plan should include carbohydrates, proteins and fats in amounts that will promote good diabetes control while providing adequate fuel for energy and building and repairing your body.

A dietitian can determine how many calories you need every day, and how they should be divided among types of food, by considering your height, weight, age, activity level, growth needs, metabolism, and general life style. For example, an active young person of normal weight needs more calories than an inactive older person or an overweight person.
Remember, if you eat more calories than you need to produce energy, the excess calories are stored as body fat.

Here are some tips for the diabetic patient.

1.Plan your meals so that you eat healthy food, not just whatever is easiest
2.Think before you eat instead of raiding the refrigerator every time you feel hungry.
3.Use a smaller plate, so that you can't heap on much more than you really want or need
4.Chew slowly and completely, savoring every mouthful, instead of packing in as much as you can as quickly as you can.
5.Cut down on meat. Eat more fish and poultry instead. When you do eat red meat, choose the leanest cuts. Roast, bake, or broil instead of frying. Trim the fat off meat and the skin off poultry, and avoid adding fat in cooking. 
6.Eliminate or cut down on high-fat foods like cold cuts, bacon, sausage, hot dogs, butter, margarine, nuts, and salad dressings.
7.Eat less ice cream, cheese, sour cream, cream, and other high-fat dairy products. Check for low-fat products. And drink skim or low-fat milk instead of whole milk.
8.Reduce sodium intake .Don't add salt in cooking, and try not to put salt on your food at the table. Cut down on high-salt foods like canned foods .Try to avoid fast-food restaurants.
9.Reduce sugar. Don't eat table sugar. If you're used to adding sugar to food beverage, substitute an artificial sweetener that has no calories, like saccharin or aspartame. Avoid honey, syrup, jam, jelly, candy, sweet rolls, regular gelatin, cake with icing, and pie. 
10.Make changes gradually. Don't try to do everything at once. It may take longer to accomplish your goals, but the changes you make will be permanent.
11.Learn how to Measure foods. Be careful about serving sizes, and learn to estimate the amount of food you are served when dining out. Measuring all the food you eat for a week or so will help you do this. Measure liquids with a measuring Cup. Use measuring spoons for smaller amounts of foods like oil, salad dressing, or peanut butter. You can use a scale to measure almost anything --especially meat, poultry, and fish.
12.Measure all foods after cooking. Some foods you buy uncooked will weigh less after you cook it. This is true of most meats. Starches often swell in cooking, so a small amount of uncooked starch can become a much larger amount of cooked food.
13. Learn how to read food labels.
14.Alcohol can cause control problems for people with diabetes. It can lower blood sugar by blocking the release of glycogen (stored glucose).
Re: Urgent Advice Of A Diabetic Doctor Needed by Rlst84sale(m): 1:30am On Apr 14, 2007
Kebaf

I'm quiet impressed by your knowledge of this posting and I neither want to dispute nor agree. The only issue I have with everything is how do you relate all these foods to all these deadly diseases of which our people are suffering. Take for an example, you said "diabetes control", while there are conclusive research and results that the disease could be finally eliminated by simply changing your diets and life style. Here in the States diabetes is one of the top 3 causes of death in both young and old as a result it's huge source of business therefore most of the pharmaceutical and health related industries would not support the campaign that would educate people on the complete elimination of it. So is cancer, high blood pressure, and more. Some of the foods you listed up there, we don't even have to eat at all. Let's take for an example vitamin B 12 which our body needs for proper functioning of brain, and emotional stability is richly found in plants, we eat meat of the animal that eats plants raw to get it, but by the time we get it, it's already destroyed by heat as a result of cooking, that's just to mention but one.  Why are a lot of rich and educated people in this advanced countries (even in Naija) dying of these diseases? (Diabetes/cancer especially), they have money, they have dietitians, and whatever money can buy, but yet they eventually ended up dying by it. That's why I suggest one of those books. As a matter of fact you can get it in Lagos. Get the one tittled "Hallelujah diet" that's one of the most recent ones. After you read it you will be amazed.

I sincerely commend your in depth knowledge of what you studied. However, here in the States we listen to people, read their books regardless if they have chain of college degrees  or none, we even pay money to go to their seminars, and that's why this country is so great, and I'm sure Naija will soon be also just  a matter of time. God bless.

Conact this email address for the book. Tsfchurch@yahoo.com
Re: Urgent Advice Of A Diabetic Doctor Needed by kebab(f): 12:38pm On Apr 14, 2007
I must say that I don’t really understand your point. Are u saying we should completely stay off foods that are from animal origin because it undergoes processing? Or that they are the cause of all these incurable diseases like hypertension, cancer, diabetes?

Then let me explain the aetiology of disease to you,

Diseases are caused by many factors. Some of these factors includes genes and genetic mutilations, physiological and metabolic imbalances, pathogens/viruses/infective agents, lifestyle patterns, dietary patterns, etc. it will be wrong to assume that diet is the cause of all diseases. There are some diseases that are related to diet and diet may aggravate such conditions but it doesn’t necessarily mean that the diet of that person caused the diabetes.

Lets use diabetes as a case study. Simply put, diabetes is mainly the inability of the body to regulate blood sugar. Blood sugar is controlled by two hormones working simultaneously, mainly insulin and glucagon. When there is an imbalance in their function, diabetes may result. This means that hormonal imbalance may be the cause of the disease. Now these hormones are produced or secreted by glands in the body, mainly the pancreas. The function of the pancreas is controlled by the central nervous system consisting of the brain, the hypothalamus and other organs. If there is a defect in the functioning of these organs, physiologic function is affected. Also obesity is a diet related disease and one of the complications of obesity is diabetes. Sometimes, diabetes is inherited, people can have a history of it affecting generations. We have genes being responsible in such case.
Re: Urgent Advice Of A Diabetic Doctor Needed by kebab(f): 12:56pm On Apr 14, 2007
i can tell u that all types of food undergo one form of processing or the other, either to make it more palatable, to increase the nutrient content, for preservation, and also to destroy pathogens, germs and anti nutrients. i can assure you that food processing is essential and food companies adhere to world guidelines and regulatory bodies regulations.

even foods from plant sources undergo processing and heating. for instance, corn is a plant product and cereals are derived from it. this corn undergoes a lot of processes before it is made into semovita, cornflakes and other cereal products. because it is lacking in some nutrients(it provides mainly carbohydrates), the milling companies add vitamin a, iron and other nutrients to it to increase the nutrient content. these processes are carried out at high temperature degrees(i don't know the exact temperatures since i am not a food technologist but it might even be as high as the 170 degrees u have been quoting). but it might even be as high as the 170 degrees u have been quoting). Food also contains some anti-nutrients and needs to undergo processing to remove these anti-nutrients. For example, cassava contains cyanide, which is toxic. Cassava is then processed to remove the cyanide content. So many other food substances contain antinutrients, not only cassava.

den let us now address pathogens, bacteria, germs, pesticides, herbicides and germicides, fertilizers used in plant production and in farms where our food substances are gotten from. All these compounds and germs need to be destroyed by one form of processing or the other be it by milling, by heating, freezing, cryoprocessing, etc.
Re: Urgent Advice Of A Diabetic Doctor Needed by Rlst84sale(m): 2:40am On Apr 15, 2007
Kebab,

Just about the time that I decided to stop writing about this is when you delved into another interesting part of it. Genesis 1:29 go and read and see the food that our maker recommended for the body he created. Raw fresh organic fruits and vegetables are the best for our bodies. Now what type of fruits and vegetables and at what time of the day and what quantity is what science should help us to determine. I don't have time to go into details now.

On the issue of heredity, have you considered that the life style of cooking that destroys those enzymes, nutrients and vitamins in the food might have been passed down from generation to generation?. Have you also considered that the parents with weaker genes due to bad diet and life style can pass those weaker genes on to their children?. The way our body is made is of immense wisdom, and it's complicated. When the cells of the body are well cleansed and nourished, your body will function well, and it will defend itself of germs and virus. And when such cells are dying off, they will replace themselves with stronger and healthier cells. That is called healthy cell concept. As you know our body is built with 100 thrillion living cells, each cell has it's DNA and RNA with which to duplicate and replace itself when it's dying off. In order for that cell to replace itself with a healthier and stronger one, the body must be cleansed of toxins, and nourished with living, fresh organic fruits and vegetables.

The argument of cooking and processing foods is something we grew up to know. That is not the way God intended for us to feed our body. Is that to say that we should eat just everything?, No, some foods are bad for you wether raw or cooked. That is why there has been research going on for 30 years only on foods in relation to diseases and cure, effect of medication, surgery, mutilation (etc) on our body when in most cases we don't even need them. Chemical applications, commercial food production and preservatives, what triggers different types of disease and why?, and what are the simple and inexpensive solutions?. All these questions have been researched, answered and there have been results. Do you think Pharmaceutical, medical, meat and dairy industries/organizations are happy that people are aware of this?. The answer is NO, and I hope you are not one them.

As was pointed earlier, consumption of animal, poultry or fish protein when metabolized by the body would produce uric acid (especially after a long time of consuming it in large quantity) which is toxic to the body, and it's difficult for your body to expel, therefore the body stores it in the joints where it crystallizes itself and start shredding the cartilage and ends up in arthritis. And sometimes the body stores it in the muscle where it starts to interfere with body cells and causes cell growth or what have you. I can go on and on but I don't have time now. When the body lacks the right type of fuel it was built to run and function on, disease and break down are inevitable and it could just be this type of disease or the other. Until you read the books, you may not agree with me. There are other things mentioned I would like to address but I don't have time now (Diabetes, influence of  fertilizers in our soil and chemical in water for instance).

I will come to Naija soon by God's grace and I may buy one and bring it for u to read, if you refuse to buy and read it before then. What about that?. If your genuine and sincere interest is to see our people healthy and happy, we don't have to argue here on this forum, you can get one of the books and just read for us, and if all I have been saying is senseless then I will accept it and I will never talk about it on this site again; I promise you. Provided you are not someone from medical, and or pharmaceutical organization who want to see our people permanently dependent on medication for their own selfish financial gains. Thank you
Re: Urgent Advice Of A Diabetic Doctor Needed by kebab(f): 2:52pm On Apr 16, 2007
i have actually visited that website but since you insist on me reading the book, then here"s my postal address: P.O. BOX 2842, AGEGE, LAGOS.

thank you.
Re: Urgent Advice Of A Diabetic Doctor Needed by Rlst84sale(m): 9:29pm On Apr 16, 2007
@Keba

I have copied and saved the address
Re: Urgent Advice Of A Diabetic Doctor Needed by highland(m): 11:49am On Sep 18, 2012
Great topic.

(1) (Reply)

How Can I Empty My Bowel? / Please Help Save Seyi Oguntade (very Graphic Photos) / How To Dispose Of Lightbulbs, Used Vegetable Oil And Batteries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.