Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,550 members, 7,837,109 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:05 PM

Where Are The Obasanjo Fans In The House? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Where Are The Obasanjo Fans In The House? (2406 Views)

The Many Sins And Corruption Of The Obasanjo Administration / CIA In Nigeria:the Obasanjo Curious Connection / The Obasanjo's Again! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Are The Obasanjo Fans In The House? by Axiomlogic(m): 7:25pm On Mar 30, 2007
creamdream:

i blame you?, when your mumu mankey president wannna be president for life, imsubjects for monkey dey wait for am for zoo o, o better still for jungle, obj's mate for monkey no dey chop Banana again o, na kolanut them dey chop, lawless president, no regard for the rule of law, his romm at the prison isstill vacant, and he will surely go back there greedy man!!

angry angry angry angry angry
what do you understand by rule of law ? a law that makes a thieve Governor ? or law that says you can be indicted and you would still present yourself to be president ? a law that allows you create additional local government with recourse to the National ASSEMBLY ? A Law that allows you to be caught with £80000 cash and still want to hide under the immunity ? what law cream dream ?

Wake up to the reality,OBJ has done his bit and history when told would write his name in diamonds.
Re: Where Are The Obasanjo Fans In The House? by Afam(m): 6:54pm On Apr 02, 2007
Bankole01:

I will be a fool to say Obasanjo did not achieve or record any developments or good deeds, but he is like a man with his foot in his mouth, one step forward and five back.

Coming from you Mr Bankole, na hin be say OBJ try. But the 1 step forward and 5 steps backward too harsh sha.
Re: Where Are The Obasanjo Fans In The House? by GNature(m): 8:35pm On Apr 02, 2007
Bankole01:

I will be a fool to say Obasanjo did not achieve or record any developments or good deeds, but he is like a man with his foot in his mouth, one step forward and five back.

Atleast you admit the man has achieved something. In all honesty, I have to agree with you that he seems to take a step forward and five back wink.
Re: Where Are The Obasanjo Fans In The House? by 4Play(m): 8:44pm On Apr 02, 2007
This man happened to be President at a time oil prices averaged $60 per barrel so his presidency should be looked at in context.

GDP growth rate for 2006 was put at 5.7% ,with a population growth of about 3% ,that is about 2% in real growth.At that rate.it will take us 200 years to catch up with the US economy's size as at 2006.
Re: Where Are The Obasanjo Fans In The House? by alabiyemmy(m): 8:50pm On Apr 02, 2007
paid our debts - i like him

building railway - i like him

rooting out corruption - i like him

building power station for constant power supply - i like him

repartriated Abacha's stolen funds - i like him

master plan for Niger Delta development - i like him

stronger banks - i like him

telecommunications deregulated - i like him

Nigerian Internet gateway - i like him

satellite in space - i like him

stronger insurance - i like him

restructured avaiation - i like him

transcorp - i like him

Dont abuse me if you dont agree with me - just read and fok off - u know?
Re: Where Are The Obasanjo Fans In The House? by GNature(m): 8:54pm On Apr 02, 2007
Good point @ 4play wink.

That is why we must do more to improve our GDP growth rate. We have to aim higher than 5.7%, we need double digit growth rates and it must be sustained for a long period of time.

I hope our next president won't make us regress sha.
Re: Where Are The Obasanjo Fans In The House? by Bolarge(m): 9:51am On Apr 03, 2007
To rule a country such as Nigeria is no mean feat and as much as I cannot term myself as an ardent fan of OBJ,I'm quick to admit he's scored more than a passmark in the last 8 years.For the first time in my life I'm convinced we're back on the path of greatness as a nation.We're not there yet but thank God we're not where we used to be(IBB,Abacha days.Pheeeew!).We're definitely on track.I only pray whoever our next leader is will take us further along the path of progress as a nation.
Re: Where Are The Obasanjo Fans In The House? by dayokanu(m): 10:18am On Apr 03, 2007
Extra judicial killing , Crippled Nepa, Disregard for court orders, More crises in Niger Delta, Insecurity in the land, Institionalising gangsterism- Adedibu, Chris Uba e.t.c are the benefit of OBJ rule when you cant get electricity, and security and you are talking about reforms what is reform without security and light check out niger delta creeks for more details
Re: Where Are The Obasanjo Fans In The House? by dayokanu(m): 10:20am On Apr 03, 2007
e.g Bola Ige , Harry Marshalls, Dikibo even Abacha wasn't this wicked, Coys folding up due to Power failures e.t.c
Re: Where Are The Obasanjo Fans In The House? by dayokanu(m): 10:28am On Apr 03, 2007
unemployment at an all time high so what are we talking about
Re: Where Are The Obasanjo Fans In The House? by 4Play(m): 10:32am On Apr 03, 2007
Here is a country where armed militants roam freely in the Niger-Delta,where a thousand innocent civilians were slaughtered in Odi,electricity supply is at its worst in years,economic growth has barely budged.e.t.c and yet we have people who think this is good enough
Re: Where Are The Obasanjo Fans In The House? by magneto(m): 10:36am On Apr 03, 2007
dayokanu:

Extra judicial killing , Crippled Nepa, Disregard for court orders, More crises in Niger Delta, Insecurity in the land, Institionalising gangsterism- Adedibu, Chris Uba e.t.c are the benefit of OBJ rule when you can't get electricity, and security and you are talking about reforms what is reform without security and light check out niger delta creeks for more details

not the benefits dayo, but rather the downsides of OBJs rule. c'mon lets be fair to the man and appreciate his few (but very significant) achievements.
and while we're at it, lets also celebrate the good people of Cross River State, for being courageous (albeit lucky) enuff to vote into power a man that has transformed their lives literarily. the rest of us should learn from their example and ensure our increased standard of living, and general well-being by voting in the right man to power. . . (personally i think Pat Utomi wink)
Re: Where Are The Obasanjo Fans In The House? by GNature(m): 10:53am On Apr 03, 2007
dayokanu,

Well, as far as security is concerned, I have to admit that OBJ's govt has not performed well at all. I also admit that there are people like Chris Uba and Adedibu that the man is protecting. If you go through my initial post on this thread, you will see that I stated that the man is not flawless.

Now, you mentioned that OBJ has crippled NEPA - How did he cripple NEPA ? He has been reforming that organization, the reason why there has been no improvement is because of the magnitude of the rot of the system. Haven't you read about all the vandalizations taking place to cut the gas supply to the power stations ?

The only thing I blame OBJ for is not embarking on NIPP right from 1999. He was ill-advised at the time that once we attain 4,000 MW (we were at 1,900 MW when he assumed power) we will see a dramatic improvement in power suuply. That turned out to be so untrue because our power needs are in excess of 10,000 MW.

As far as the crises in the Niger Delta, you have to realize that the people of the South South have been brewing for a very long time. They could not come out like they are now during Abacha's time because he would have killed them mercilessly. Afterall, despite all the foreign intervention, Abacha still killed Ken Saro Wiwa.

Is that What you want OBJ to do ? Send in Army Battalions and wipe out all the people living in the creeks because of the hostage takers ?

It is under OBJ that the South South states started receiving 13% derivation. Rivers state collects around $100 million a month sometimes. It is under OBJ that the NDDC came into being. OBJ has just awarded the East-West Multi-billion naira road contract to connect all the Niger Delta states.

So, please the man is trying for the Niger Delta people. Try and put your criticism in perspective.
Re: Where Are The Obasanjo Fans In The House? by GNature(m): 11:01am On Apr 03, 2007
I forgot to add that OBJ is building 7 new power stations in the Niger Delta states.

Now tell me, when has so much been done for the Niger Delta people ?

The problem with lack of infrastructure in the South South has been there for decades and OBJ can't solve everything in 8 years. But if Rivers can collect $100 million (N14B) monthly, I think that is definately improvement.
Re: Where Are The Obasanjo Fans In The House? by 4Play(m): 11:11am On Apr 03, 2007
GNature:

I forgot to add that OBJ is building 7 new power stations in the Niger Delta states.
About time.After 8 full years in power,he is building power stations.What about all the money that has been spent on the sector over the past 8 years?Where is the end product?

A Nigerian Govt building something is nothing new,we have countless abandoned projects .
Re: Where Are The Obasanjo Fans In The House? by GNature(m): 11:24am On Apr 03, 2007
4 Play:

About time.After 8 full years in power,he is building power stations.What about all the money that has been spent on the sector over the past 8 years?Where is the end product?

Good Point !  Well, we were generating 1,900 MW when he assumed power and we are now generating 4,000 MW.  You don't notice any improvement at all because our demand is in excess of 10,000 MW. Plus, the gas pipelines are always vandalized, so they have to reduce output at the power stations

4 Play:

A Nigerian Govt building something is nothing new,we have countless abandoned projects .

True, but OBJ means business.

Please visit this thread and see for yourself !
Re: Where Are The Obasanjo Fans In The House? by Afam(m): 11:27am On Apr 03, 2007
I remain very optimistic about the foundation that has been laid for a better tomorrow.

Sometimes, we just see that certain people have chosen to see no good in OBJ and people like that in reality will only be living in denial, not my style.
Re: Where Are The Obasanjo Fans In The House? by Topsido(m): 11:37am On Apr 03, 2007
Rule of law my foot. A law that says a proven thief should be freed is no law. A law that says you could be a saboteur in the same govt. you are serving is no law. Laws was made for man and not the other way round, remember?.
Agbakoba is corrupt himself and he is a useless lawyer.
YeYE JUDGES, YEYE LAWYERS.
Re: Where Are The Obasanjo Fans In The House? by damoche07(m): 7:07pm On Apr 04, 2007
i am an avid fan of OBJ for so many reasons.When he came in 1999,Nigeria was like an organ infected wit a malignant type of cancer.OBJ as a doctor has been able to stop the spread of this cancerous growth and to be candid the next 'doctor' only has to supervise the healing process.Chemoteraphy,a way of curing cancer is painful and tof but its worth it if it suceeds.Lets continue the healing of our country bt dont let's give governance to bitter,angry,corrupt and desperate people.Beware of AC WITHOUT COMPRESSOR.
Re: Where Are The Obasanjo Fans In The House? by GNature(m): 11:12am On Apr 24, 2007
I thought OBJ fans would like to read this  wink

SOURCE:   

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/3/story.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10434308

Shopping spree in Lagos as malls finally arrive in Nigeria

Nigeria's middle class can now enjoy retail therapy closer to home.
In the old days, for some, going shopping in Nigeria meant going to London.

Now Nigerians, at least in Lagos, can go to the country's first shopping mall and parade past air-conditioned shops of clothes and jewellery, or sit in a coffee shop, sipping a latte or cappuccino. The centrepiece is a South African Shoprite supermarket - again Nigeria's first - where the middle classes can buy ordinary things such as biscuits and pre-packed beef.

Not far away, on the edge of the street, are the old shops - open-air markets where women sit with little piles of tomatoes or onions on the ground in front of them. Nearby, in the open air hang slabs of meat feasted on by flies. Until a few years ago, these markets and a few family stores were all that was available as shops.

Elements of the old Nigeria are still visible at the Palms Mall. The Shoprite manager, Andrew Mweemba, complains that containers of perishables regularly get held up at the port. The local electricity supply is too unreliable, so the whole mall is powered by generators, which puts prices up. But, says Mweemba, they are hitting their targets and controlling costs.

They are planning several other malls in what must be one of the last countries in the world to enjoy retail services the rest of the human race take for granted.

This is probably the most visible sign of a new Nigeria, a country that is becoming more in tune with the rest of the planet. Its cause is the growth of a young middle class, many of whom have returned from London or New York to work in the booming financial services industry.

The Nigerian "Big Bang" started in 2001 with a free auction for Nigeria's mobile phone licences. Stung by a global reputation for corruption and fraud, President Olusegun Obasanjo's government started to reform the banks, reducing their number from 89 to 25, and supporting businesses that wanted to do things according to international standards.

In the old days Nigerian business people were simply agents, getting contracts from the state or acting for foreign companies. Nigeria produced little except oil and gas, and its exceedingly rich elite stayed rich because of connections, not competence.

Osaze Osifo, 39, who worked for HSBC in London, is typical of the new generation. He and six other Nigerian professionals are setting up a US$300m ($407m) equity fund in cool, glass-panelled offices with a view across the lagoon and out to sea. They have international businessmen on to their board to make sure everything is done in accordance with international business practice.

"It is not just local people and people coming back from overseas," he explains. "Nigeria is where it is at. The hotels are full, and the merchant banks are beginning to arrive." What encouraged people like him to return was the business space opened up by the economic reforms. Obasanjo picked a business-minded team to run the economy and the national bank, and appointed a brave young police officer to run the anti-corruption body, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission. Its spectacular investigations and arrests of prominent people have helped to persuade outsiders that you can do business in Nigeria without being corrupt. The sale of mobile phone licences in 2001 was the start of the new era, according to Osifo.

The business tyros are challenging the old oligarchs in business and, inevitably, in politics. "More and more people in Nigeria have too much at stake.

"They have something to fight for, and they don't want their businesses ruined by the reputation for corruption," says Osifo.

Lagos also used to have a frightening reputation for robbery and violence, but that too has subsided. Ten years ago the biggest companies on the Nigerian stock exchange were subsidiaries of multinational corporates. Today, the three richest companies are all Nigerian. Its top 10 banks, most of them new, have announced returns of between 14 per cent and 38 per cent on shares.

Nigeria's richest business man, Aliko Dangote, turned 50 last week. A manufacturer of everything from cement to orange juice, he is reported to be worth US$8bn ($10.8bn) - and may not be the richest man in Nigeria. Some of the oligarchs may be richer, but not for much longer.
Re: Where Are The Obasanjo Fans In The House? by Backslider(m): 1:08pm On Apr 24, 2007
Obj has tried I used to criticize him a lot now I understand him.
Re: Where Are The Obasanjo Fans In The House? by Orikinla(m): 2:09pm On Apr 24, 2007
Shame on you and your Owu Babalawo President.

Shameless people.

See how Baba Iyabo has thrown our precious jewels to dogs in the desperation to win his do or die elections.

The rest of the world now mock Nigeria and even Ghana is laughing at us.

Re: Where Are The Obasanjo Fans In The House? by Aneef(m): 2:36pm On Apr 24, 2007
History will continued to judge OBJ as the BEST PRESIDENT the COUNTRY ever had cos as far as i am concerned u cannot talk about history of this country without him echoing seriously.Time is coming that we will be comparing notes.OBJ for live!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Where Are The Obasanjo Fans In The House? by laudate: 3:04pm On Apr 24, 2007
OBJ for 'what'??  Oh please, tell me you are kidding. His only achievement was the deregulation of the telecoms sector. Se fini.

And to the chap who cited the 'railways' as an OBJ achievement, na God I take beg you, don't let anyone in Nigeria hear you saying that! We do not have a functional railway system. Are you referring to the colonial relic that was left behind, when the colonial masters decided to bid us farewell? angry
Re: Where Are The Obasanjo Fans In The House? by creamdream: 4:14pm On Apr 24, 2007
oh my God, whats happning to Nigeria?Obj will go down in history as a greedy president who wanted 3rd term,who loves playing God,who is an Ogboni man,who loves a do or die politicking,who loves to victimise his opponents through unconstitutional means,who has got no regard for seperation of powers,who is fighting corruption through corrupt means,who conducted the worst election in the history of Nigeria, of course with a few good deeds, BUT NOT ANYWHERE NEAR THE BEST,
Re: Where Are The Obasanjo Fans In The House? by mazaje(m): 4:24pm On Apr 24, 2007
It would be a big lie to say that OBJ has not achieved anything as a president but his failures far out weigh his achievements, Judging by the amount of money he has recieved and by precedence OBJ should have done a lot better than what he has done. I see no reason why he has failed to revive the power(electricty) sector, or roads, this infastuructures are not supposed to be the way the are at all. with the available resources i will have to admit that he has failed totally in those aspects.The EFCC is a very very good step in the right direction even though OBJ himself has undermined and sabotaged their efforts but i still believe subsequent governments will use it for the betterment of the people. if am to score OBJ out of 10 i will give him 2 out of 10, i know it is'nt easy but he definately should have done more for the people.
Re: Where Are The Obasanjo Fans In The House? by creamdream: 4:41pm On Apr 24, 2007
It is only in "nigeria" and some other jungle societies that people worship their president for doing what he has sworn to "his constiutional duties/obligation!!the president of a truly civilised society is under a compelling obligation to do his duties(he should have no choise but to do what the electorate put him there to do) if he performs extra ordinarily of course he should be comended but not as we see it in Nigeria, eg he gives you one road out of a possible 1million you start shouting and spend millions showing the picture of that road on tv and newspaper
Re: Where Are The Obasanjo Fans In The House? by creamdream: 4:46pm On Apr 24, 2007
THe most important and basic things NIGERIAN PEOPLE NEED are 1.Shelter,2.ability for the average nigerian to feed like a normal human ,3.uninterupted power supply,.4.affordable transportation,5. good road. Has your president done much in this regard, especially PHCN, "Problem Has Changed Name??
Re: Where Are The Obasanjo Fans In The House? by Orikinla(m): 9:06am On Apr 25, 2007
Have you seen what Nigeria looks like from the skies?
As ugly as Obasanjo.
Why?
Obasanjo wanted Nigeria to look as ugly as he is.

When you look at Obasanjo, you are looking at the PDP and what they have made Nigeria to look like in 8 years.
Re: Where Are The Obasanjo Fans In The House? by Backslider(m): 11:51am On Apr 25, 2007
@Orikinla

I am saddened at your below the belt Insult of the person of the president this is your unalienable right. you have failed to see anything that has Changed in obasanjo leadrship I know you may hate him but let us be decorative in our criticism it does not take anything away from you.

NIGERIANS THINK BY DAMNING YOUR BROTHER THIEF IMMUNIZES YOU FROM BEING CALLED ONE? WE CANNOT CALL OUR PRESIDENT UGLY NAMES WITHOUT ANY PROOF AND EXPECT OTHER NOT TO CALL US NAMES.

IT IS WHAT WE CALL OURSELVES THAT WE ARE.

I DONT CARE IF I AM ACKNOWLEDGE BUT THE FACT IS THAT THE GUY HAS TRIED.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Biafra Will Be The Most Corrupt Country In The World If Created. / U S Census 2010: Message To Ndiigbo -stand Up And Be Counted As Igbo / Countdown To Independence Celebration Begins !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.