Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,553 members, 7,816,339 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:48 AM

Urhobo Women Don't Shake Hands With Men. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Urhobo Women Don't Shake Hands With Men. (3650 Views)

The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken / Urhobo Names And Their Meanings. / Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Urhobo Women Don't Shake Hands With Men. by Vainglory: 10:50am On Jun 22, 2010
In Urhobo land it is a taboo for a married woman to shake hands with a man. Why? In this 21st century this practice is both suppresive and primitive. The men are showing how insecure they are.
Re: Urhobo Women Don't Shake Hands With Men. by Mortiple(m): 12:37pm On Jun 22, 2010
Vainglory:

In Urhobo land it is a taboo for a married woman to shake hands with a man. Why? In this 21st century this practice is both suppresive and primitive. The men are showing how insecure they are.

It is not only the Urhobos, other ethnic groups in Nigeria are also culpable - the Hausa/Fulanis, Igbos, Ijaws, Yorubas, etc. Yes it is "suppressive and primitive" because greater percent of our people are not enlightened, hence it is considered as white people's culture. (Just my opinion).
Re: Urhobo Women Don't Shake Hands With Men. by 006(m): 4:52pm On Jun 22, 2010
Mortiple:

It is not only the Urhobos, other ethnic groups in Nigeria are also culpable - the Hausa/Fulanis, Igbos, Ijaws, Yorubas, etc. Yes it is "suppressive and primitive" because greater percent of our people are not enlightened, hence it is considered as white people's culture. (Just my opinion).

Talk the one u know, make u no include married Igbo women there. It's not forbidden for them to do so.
Re: Urhobo Women Don't Shake Hands With Men. by mki: 8:50am On Jun 23, 2010
I have never heard of any part of Igbo land where it is forbiden for women to shake hands with men. In my part of Igbo land married women can embrace a man depending on who the man is. Having a handshake with a man would not affect a woman in any way. Urhobo men should grow up.

(1) (Reply)

Lagos Carnival 2013 (exclusive Photos) / Are Ijebu And Abeoukuta Ladies Really That Bad?? / Facts About Ebira People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.