Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,152 members, 7,811,301 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:43 AM

What Is Good About The Bible? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is Good About The Bible? (618 Views)

Pastor Adeboye: Taking Holy Communion In The Morning Is Wrong, At Night Is Good / Hard Question: What Is Good About You Going To Church? / Is This Where Jesus Endorsed Asoebi In The Bible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Good About The Bible? by HappyPagan: 9:08pm On Aug 11, 2018
The Good Book.

A name or misnomer for the Bible?

Probably a misnomer.

There are good stories in the Bible - I particularly like the part where Mary Magdalene gives Jesus head and almost gets stoned for it. The crowd had gathered, stones in hand , ready to toss them at Mary the Magalene. But Jesus likes his bitches, and he averted the mob action by reminding everyone 'no hands were clean.'

But the Bible is also filled with horrible stories too. Take for instance, the Book of Revelations. That book's a record of a man's psychotic episode. Nigga John of Patmos was dropped on an island to die and suffer. God knows what twigs, fruits or leaves he must have eaten, but that nigga got high as Bleep... My God... Have you read Revelations.. Its got bears with lion chest, frogs with zebra laps....you should go through it.. There's even a lion whose head is on fire for some reason...

David slaughtering men, and taking their foreskins as dowry for his wife. Lot, raped by his daughters. Mary, raped by the Holy Spirit. Jesus, flogged and beaten by his people. The ladies who boiled a kid for breakfast....nna eh, whats good about this Book?

angry

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is Good About The Bible? by enilove(m): 9:43pm On Aug 11, 2018
HappyPagan:
The Good Book.

Probably a misnomer.

There are good stories in the Bible - I particularly like the part where Mary Magdalene gives Jesus head and almost gets stoned for it. The crowd had gathered, stones in hand , ready to toss them at Mary the Magalene. But Jesus likes his bitches, and he averted the mob action by reminding everyone 'no hands were clean.'

But the Bible is also filled with horrible stories too. Take for instance, the Book of Revelations. That book's a record of a man's psychotic episode. Nigga John of Patmos was dropped on an island to die and suffer. God knows what twigs, fruits or leaves he must have eaten, but that nigga got high as Bleep... My God... Have you read Revelations.. Its got bears with lion chest, frogs with zebra laps....you should go through it.. There's even a lion whose head is on fire for some reason...

David slaughtering men, and taking their foreskins as dowry for his wife. Lot, raped by his daughters. Mary, raped by the Holy Spirit. Jesus, flogged and beaten by his people. The ladies who boiled a kid for breakfast....nna eh, whats good about this Book?

angry

You deserve no answer but a rod on your head and back :

Proverbs 26:3-4 KJV
A whip for the horse, a bridle for the ass, and a rod for the fool's back.
[4] Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.
Re: What Is Good About The Bible? by hopefulLandlord: 10:04pm On Aug 11, 2018
enilove:

Proverbs 26:3-4 KJV
A whip for the horse, a bridle for the ass, and a rod for the fool's back.
[4] Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.

Proverbs 26:5 (the verse next to the one you just quoted)

Answer a fool according to his folly, or he will be wise in his own eyes.

Conflicting book which faithfools picks and chooses based on his/her preconceived conclusions. the conclusions are already made so they go to the Holy Babble to look for verse supporting it

this is why there are 30,000 Christian denominations. The Bible is the world's longest-running, most widely respected, and least reliable Rorschach Test. You can look in it and see anything you want to see, find anything you want to find, justify any pre-ordained conclusion you prefer, or validate any prejudice because the Bible has it all: love, hate; revenge, redemption; war, peace; slavery, freedom; humility, arrogance; kindness, cruelty; and, as Mark Twain observed, “upwards of a thousand lies”!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is Good About The Bible? by budaatum: 3:07am On Aug 12, 2018
The best thing about the Bible is that people have a library of books to read. Imagine how dumb they would be if they read nothing. I'd be surrounded by a whole heap of ignorant idiots! Pity is that people believe what they read in it, but it's a lot better than if they believed what they read in a James Hadley Chase or a Harry Potter, I guess. I'd have been surrounded by a whole heap of criminals or potty people instead of people who believe they'd end up in heaven!

3 Likes

Re: What Is Good About The Bible? by HappyPagan: 11:00am On Aug 12, 2018
enilove:

A rod on the head, a whip on the back, thats how the slavemaster rolls. Understanding comes by whipping, and knowledge through repetition of vain words.

3 Likes

Re: What Is Good About The Bible? by enilove(m): 1:44pm On Aug 12, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

Proverbs 26:5 (the verse next to the one you just quoted)

Answer a fool according to his folly, or he will be wise in his own eyes.

Conflicting book which faithfools picks and chooses based on his/her preconceived conclusions. the conclusions are already made so they go to the Holy Babble to look for verse supporting it

this is why there are 30,000 Christian denominations. The Bible is the world's longest-running, most widely respected, and least reliable Rorschach Test. You can look in it and see anything you want to see, find anything you want to find, justify any pre-ordained conclusion you prefer, or validate any prejudice because the Bible has it all: love, hate; revenge, redemption; war, peace; slavery, freedom; humility, arrogance; kindness, cruelty; and, as Mark Twain observed, “upwards of a thousand lies”!

When you leave this world without Jesus , you will have yourself to blame.

If those things were not written , people like you will ask why God did command His servants to write them down for record purposes.

Thank God those things were written. You will blame your soul why you never believed it.
Re: What Is Good About The Bible? by hopefulLandlord: 1:49pm On Aug 12, 2018
enilove:

If those things were not written , people like you will ask why God did command His servants to write them down for record purposes.

Thank God those things were written. You will blame your soul why you never believed it.

Nice deflection

2 Likes

Re: What Is Good About The Bible? by HappyPagan: 1:04pm On Aug 19, 2018
enilove:

Blame for what? Is Jesus a secret password to somewhere pleasant in the Great beyond?

enilove:

Well, any mad person can write great literature. I do it sometimes.

enilove:

I don't think I would. I mean my soul is me is my mind is my heart is my brain and all that is within me.

Like Jesus is God is Holy Spirit who gave Mary belle and continued the recursion.

How can my soul not believe this? How can the carnal mind not accept the uncarnal?
Re: What Is Good About The Bible? by enilove(m): 3:06pm On Aug 19, 2018
HappyPagan:

Blame for what? Is Jesus a secret password to somewhere pleasant in the Great beyond?

Well, any mad person can write great literature. I do it sometimes.

I don't think I would. I mean my soul is me is my mind is my heart is my brain and all that is within me.

Like Jesus is God is Holy Spirit who gave Mary belle and continued the recursion.

How can my soul not believe this? How can the carnal mind not accept the uncarnal?

Jesus is a password to life in Paradise after death.

Since you are a pagan , make enquiry from some herbalist about whether they know who Jesus is .

Those who are deep into satanism or witchcrafts would tell you that Jesus' name is catalyst when pronounced their meetings.
Re: What Is Good About The Bible? by Dalamama: 9:19pm On Aug 19, 2018
enilove:

What is this religious slave saying?
Re: What Is Good About The Bible? by Dalamama: 9:22pm On Aug 19, 2018
enilove:

Jesus is a password to life in Paradise after death.

Since you are a pagan , make enquiry from some herbalist about whether they know who Jesus is .

Those who are deep into satanism or witchcrafts would tell you that Jesus' name is catalyst when pronounced their meetings.

It is a lie. Jesus name has never been used to protect anybody. What is satanism and wtichcrafts? You are a slave to fictional and superstitious narratives.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Good About The Bible? by enilove(m): 9:40pm On Aug 19, 2018
Dalamama:

It is a lie. Jesus name has never been used to protect anybody. What is satanism and wtichcrafts? You are a slave to fictional and superstitious narratives.

Are you talking for yourself or for others ?

The name of Jesus works but only works for those who are the true children of God.

You are deceiving yourself claiming there is nothing like satanism and witchcrafts.

If you think witchrafts and Satanism are fictions and superstitions , then you are a very very big spiritual ignorant.
Re: What Is Good About The Bible? by DayTrader: 9:12pm On Aug 26, 2018
HappyPagan:
The Good Book.

Probably a misnomer.

angry

I feel you are going about being this whole Atheist thing the wrong way.

You attack religion in you search for an understanding? What is the understanding you are looking for?
You read the bible maybe you understood it, maybe not?
I’m not laughing, the bible is a hard read. Especially, if you are looking for answers to your questions concerning simple daily observations but the answers you seek are not clear in the bible?
As young kids it’s only natural we ask questions? Simple ones at first like, Why Did God Create the World? Are all snakes, devils? Where is the garden of Eden?
I remember asking why the was no mention of dinosaurs in the bible to which I was replied ‘Most Bible experts believe dinosaurs died out before the great flood and wouldn’t have been around to put on the ark. Another reason we don’t read about dinosaurs is because the Bible is not a science book, it talks about people and God’s plan for our life.

If you had the opportunity to grow up in Naija, you are introduced to other religions apart from family religion quite early. In my case the next major religion was Islam. Hey! I thought maybe I would find my answers in the Koran I thought. Another hard to understand book, especially if not read in its original language.
But as was the case with the bible any of my more complicated questions eg. How could God physically have created the universe in just a week? How old is the universe? If God/Allah is everywhere why does he let bad things happen?
To all these questions I always heard…… “you lack faith!”
No one, could give me a satisfying answer to How and why are we here on this earth?

My advice is to look for the answers you seek else where than religious books.

The process you are going through has happened in history of the world, it’s called Enlightenment. The age of Enlightenment was an intellectual and philosophical movement that dominated the world of ideas in Europe during the 18th century. Google it, it’s an interesting read.
Re: What Is Good About The Bible? by HappyPagan: 10:50pm On Aug 26, 2018
DayTrader:

I feel you are going about being this whole Atheist thing the wrong way.
Bros, there's no Atheist way.

DayTrader:

You attack religion in you search for an understanding? What is the understanding you are looking for?
I come here to blaspheme. What are you here for?

DayTrader:

The process you are going through has happened in history of the world, it’s called Enlightenment. The age of Enlightenment was an intellectual and philosophical movement that dominated the world of ideas in Europe during the 18th century. Google it, it’s an interesting read.
Thanks for your contribution. Been really helpful.

(1) (Reply)

Dear Leah Sharibu. / Nigerian Christians Saved From Captors By Jesus, Angels And Snakes / Update On Sotitobire Church: No Alter Was Dug And No Corpse Was Exhume

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.