Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,139 members, 7,814,993 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:05 AM

What Does Matthew 8:22 Mean By "Let The Dead Bury Their Own Dead"? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Does Matthew 8:22 Mean By "Let The Dead Bury Their Own Dead"? (23686 Views)

As Christians, What Does It Truly Mean By No Sex Before Marriage? / Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) / What Do Fornicators Mean By One Thing Led To Another? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does Matthew 8:22 Mean By "Let The Dead Bury Their Own Dead"? by kokomilala(m): 11:09am On Aug 12, 2018
What Jesus is saying here doesn't need too much of a stretch in imagination if one is spiritually inclined. Ultimately, the mortal, transient man is a dead man. It's the spirit that gives life. Hence, the above Scripture.
For those arguing that Jesus is not God, please, read, 1 John 5:7,the doctrine of trinity and the co-equality of the Godhead is clearly stated.
The coming of Jesus to earth was, apart from the propitiation of the collective sin of the world, to reveal God as love and grace to a lost word.
1 Tim. 2:5, describes Jesus as The Man, Christ Jesus, the mediator between God and Man-the only Perfect Man to have tread this passing world. So, as He's in heaven, He's both God and Man. He came to earth to learn to the ways of man, subjected himself to God as a servant. That's why God exalted Him above all names.
Paul also describes Jesus as the visible image of the invisible God.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does Matthew 8:22 Mean By "Let The Dead Bury Their Own Dead"? by engroke(m): 11:11am On Aug 12, 2018
Jesus was simply urging the disciple not to allow anything distract him from the gospel n the love of Christ not even d death of a loved one!

1 Like

Re: What Does Matthew 8:22 Mean By "Let The Dead Bury Their Own Dead"? by smartpyzee(m): 11:20am On Aug 12, 2018
DEHVEHLOP:
I believe Jesus is not God!

So the Bible is right! No matter what, human can never be God
are you a Christan or Muslim

Cos I can't afford educating someone that doesn't want to learn tongue
Re: What Does Matthew 8:22 Mean By "Let The Dead Bury Their Own Dead"? by MeeLan: 11:25am On Aug 12, 2018
you are beating round the bush on Sunday morning sir!
Re: What Does Matthew 8:22 Mean By "Let The Dead Bury Their Own Dead"? by bigblow(m): 11:25am On Aug 12, 2018
He is. He came in human flesh to fulfil the same scriptures that carries his substance and manifested himself. He is an integral part of God and therefore God in a sense but also represents our access or gateway to God.

If Jesus Christ is God, then is it right to say God died?
Re: What Does Matthew 8:22 Mean By "Let The Dead Bury Their Own Dead"? by Eberex(m): 11:26am On Aug 12, 2018
Did you notice the prophets of old? When they preach to the people they start with either of the following "the Lord says", " thus saith the Lord", "May the Lord" etc etc

Jesus on the other hand never used any of that. Instead he starts with "I AM". Eg I am the light of the world, I am the living bread, I am the resurrection and the life etc.

Same word God told Moses on the Mountain when he asked him who should he tell the people of Israel if they ask who sent him?

Tell them " I AM that I AM"

In the beginning, God said "let there be light , and there was light ". The word he spoke was Jesus. " In the beginning was the word, the word was with God, and the word was God".

To shed more light. The sun is up there, millions away from us, yet we feel its heat on us. The heat we feel is the sun itself, because it contains all the nature of the sun....thus the heat is generated by the sun and not created by the sun. If the sun contain 22 elements, the heat has that same 22 elements.

The word God spoke was from Him. The word was generated, not created. The word is the same as where it was generated from; same elements, same properties etc.

When Thomas saw and believed him after he rose , he exclaimed " my lord and my God".
That wouldn't have been included in the Bible if it is not true.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Does Matthew 8:22 Mean By "Let The Dead Bury Their Own Dead"? by Nobody: 11:28am On Aug 12, 2018
CodeTemplar:

In Matthew 8:22 Jesus said, “Follow Me, and let the dead bury their own dead.” He was responding to a request from one of His followers who asked to be excused from his responsibilities to “go and bury [his] father” (Matthew 8:21 ).
It might seem that he was asking to make funeral arrangements for his recently deceased father. However, he was actually asking Christ to excuse him from his spiritual responsibilities, so that he could return to live with his aging father until after his father died. Of course, that could mean the disciple would be gone for a long time. It seems he was skirting his spiritual calling and wanted Christ to give His blessing to this action.
Instead, Christ told him to focus on his calling. A better sense of Jesus’ statement would be, “Don’t neglect the high spiritual calling I’ve given you; let the spiritually dead attend to the routine tasks of life.” Certainly, Christ would not forbid the man from attending to the funeral arrangements for his father. Christ Himself went to visit the family of His friend Lazarus after Lazarus’ death—even at great risk of His life (John 11:1-16 ).
God wants us to care for the needs of our families (Mark 7:10-13 ; 1 Timothy 5:8 ), but not to neglect our spiritual calling in the process.

https://www.ucg.org/bible-study-tools/bible-questions-and-answers/what-does-matthew-822-mean-by-let-the-dead-bury-their

On point 100%
Re: What Does Matthew 8:22 Mean By "Let The Dead Bury Their Own Dead"? by Ghostmode2two(m): 11:30am On Aug 12, 2018
DEHVEHLOP:

Jesus Christ is the son of God and there is no where in the Bible where referred to himself as God. He was always saying my father in heaven.
Re: What Does Matthew 8:22 Mean By "Let The Dead Bury Their Own Dead"? by hi3: 11:31am On Aug 12, 2018
DEHVEHLOP:

Can you see how confused you and your answer are?

No you can't see it, for you you have sinned against God by making a human He created equal to Him.

So, He blur your vision and distrupt your reasoning
but the Scripture made it clear that he's equal to God

Phil 2:6
Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
Re: What Does Matthew 8:22 Mean By "Let The Dead Bury Their Own Dead"? by Paul112(m): 11:31am On Aug 12, 2018
Matthew 8:21-22 (NKJV)
21 Then another of His disciples said to Him, “Lord, let me first go and bury my father.”
22 But Jesus said to him, “Follow Me, and let the dead bury their own dead.”

This man was already a disciple, but he did not want to be completely loyal to Jesus. It was the duty of a son to bury his father. But this man’s father was probably still alive, so his funeral would not be soon. The man wanted to follow Jesus, but he wanted to postpone it too. He wanted to wait until his father had died. That might still be years later. Jesus knew that the man just wanted to delay. Jesus’ answer was, ‘Follow me’. It showed that a disciple must make Jesus most important, even more important than family relationships.

'Let the dead bury their own dead’ may mean that someone would be sure to bury the man’s father. Or it may refer to people who did not follow Jesus. They were the people who were spiritually dead. The people who did not follow Jesus could carry out the funeral ceremonies.
Re: What Does Matthew 8:22 Mean By "Let The Dead Bury Their Own Dead"? by studentofTruth: 11:39am On Aug 12, 2018
DEHVEHLOP:

If you're a Muslim I will understand but if you're a Christian, then you just spilled a sacrilegious comment there. Your pastor needs to go back to the basis. I found out that pastors these days don't even understand the basis let alone teach them.
It's alarming that a lot of Christian think and believe that Jesus is just a man elevated by God.
I once met a so-called pastor that believed that Jesus is a man elevated by God. What an abomination, joining the Pharisees to deny Jesus and accuse Him of blasphemy and yet claiming to be Christian.
Get this clear once and for all. A BELIVER/Christian is someone that believes in WHO JESUS IS and his work for redemption of mankind. Not believing in who Jesus is, is being an Antichrist. Jesus don't take it easy with people that don't believe in who he is.
It seems all these anointing brouhaha is taking people further from the Truth. The denominations that practice reading the Appostles' creed every Sunday definitely know what they're doing. They know that that's the core of their Christian belief. So they profess that faith atleast every Sunday.
Christians need to go back to the basis before they get carried away by all these anointing brouhaha while continually denying Jesus

1 Like

Re: What Does Matthew 8:22 Mean By "Let The Dead Bury Their Own Dead"? by Nobody: 11:39am On Aug 12, 2018
CodeTemplar:
He is. He came in human flesh to fulfil the same scriptures that carries his substance and manifested himself. He is an integral part of God and therefore God in a sense but also represents our access or gateway to God.
Jesus Christ Is A God, John 1:1-3. But A Mighty God, Isaiah 9:6,7. God Almighty Is Greater Than Him And Are Not Equal. Isaiah 46vs5, 45vs6. And John 17vs3
Re: What Does Matthew 8:22 Mean By "Let The Dead Bury Their Own Dead"? by speedchariot(m): 11:41am On Aug 12, 2018
My Jesus said,I and my father are one.
Re: What Does Matthew 8:22 Mean By "Let The Dead Bury Their Own Dead"? by femmmmy(m): 11:41am On Aug 12, 2018
CodeTemplar:

It's just the lack of understanding of the trinity. It's the spirit of God, HOLY SPIRIT that entered into Mary as revealed to Joseph by the angel. Mary gave birth to Jesus who came in human flesh. GOD - HOLY SPIRIT - JESUS = 1.

1 Like

Re: What Does Matthew 8:22 Mean By "Let The Dead Bury Their Own Dead"? by hi3: 11:42am On Aug 12, 2018
CodeTemplar:
Do you guys agree?
That place refers to how we human attached importance to Dead activities or works at the detriment of following Jesus ( the spiritual activities). A similar case can be found in Mary and Matha case. While Matha was busy with welfare, Mary chose the most important thing i.e learning at Jesus' feet
Re: What Does Matthew 8:22 Mean By "Let The Dead Bury Their Own Dead"? by martjay(m): 11:45am On Aug 12, 2018
Don't be deceived, Jesus is God. Read these verses from the Bible to confirm, Isaiah 9:6, John 1:1.
Re: What Does Matthew 8:22 Mean By "Let The Dead Bury Their Own Dead"? by huntax(m): 11:47am On Aug 12, 2018
CodeTemplar:
He is. He came in human flesh to fulfil the same scriptures that carries his substance and manifested himself. He is an integral part of God and therefore God in a sense but also represents our access or gatewajy to God.

Lol, absolute garbage. Jesus IS NOT God and in no way will he ever be God. He's a prophet of God, not His son and not also is he God himself. You lot are more confused than drunk man in a market square.
Re: What Does Matthew 8:22 Mean By "Let The Dead Bury Their Own Dead"? by OhiOfIhima: 11:48am On Aug 12, 2018
Humchi:
DEHEVEHLOP

stay away from christian thread.

And worship your imaginary allah from arab.

No body is saying your 'isa' is God

so i don't see any reason you would be so pained when others are expressing their religion.

His expression was jus so ineptitude lame n unexplainable.. How could someone compare the Almighty Allah to one of his prophet.. Anabi lsah(AS). This is where I have issue wit u guys Christians. Pls read ur Bible again n again.
Re: What Does Matthew 8:22 Mean By "Let The Dead Bury Their Own Dead"? by huntax(m): 11:50am On Aug 12, 2018
speedchariot:
My Jesus said,I and my father are one.
Also, a husband and wife are one, but that doesn't make me 'my wife'.

1 Like

Re: What Does Matthew 8:22 Mean By "Let The Dead Bury Their Own Dead"? by gdguy: 11:52am On Aug 12, 2018
The meaning is simple: anyone who does not believe in Jesus Christ and surrenders his/her life to Him, he/she is dead while still alive. He/she is spiritually DEAD. He may think the only dead person is he who has passed away and whom he/she wants to bury. He/she is also spiritually dead which is the worse kind of death.
Re: What Does Matthew 8:22 Mean By "Let The Dead Bury Their Own Dead"? by kenex4ever(m): 11:52am On Aug 12, 2018
CodeTemplar:
Do you guys agree?
was it stated anywhere in the Bible that the man's father was not yet dead then, or u are assuming?
Re: What Does Matthew 8:22 Mean By "Let The Dead Bury Their Own Dead"? by kenex4ever(m): 11:57am On Aug 12, 2018
Eberex:

Did you notice the prophets of old? When they preach to the people they start with either of the following "the Lord says", " thus saith the Lord", "May the Lord" etc etc

Jesus on the other hand never used any of that. Instead he starts with "I AM". Eg I am the light of the world, I am the living bread, I am the resurrection and the life etc.

Same word God told Moses on the Mountain when he asked him who should he tell the people of Israel if they ask who sent him?

Tell them " I AM that I AM"

In the beginning, God said "let there be light , and there was light ". The word he spoke was Jesus. " In the beginning was the word, the word was with God, and the word was God".

To shed more light. The sun is up there, millions away from us, yet we feel its heat on us. The heat we feel is the sun itself, because it contains all the nature of the sun....thus the heat is generated by the sun and not created by the sun. If the sun contain 22 elements, the heat has that same 22 elements.

The word God spoke was from Him. The word was generated, not created. The word is the same as where it was generated from; same elements, same properties etc.

When Thomas saw and believed him after he rose , he exclaimed " my lord and my God".
That wouldn't have been included in the Bible if it is not true.

flesh and blood did not reveal this to you but Spiritual understanding.

Nice one
Re: What Does Matthew 8:22 Mean By "Let The Dead Bury Their Own Dead"? by ArcSEMPECJ(m): 11:57am On Aug 12, 2018
Rilwayne001:

Word!!
You are a purely living in darkness.... And tend to avoid some words from the bible that talks about God as Christ himself.... But you clinch unto the part that confuses you more to believe that Christ is not God...
In your Koran....islam....was Christ... Isha not recorded to be born in a miraculous way?.... Since his birth.,,,has there been any records of another birthday like that?
Re: What Does Matthew 8:22 Mean By "Let The Dead Bury Their Own Dead"? by MarieSucre(f): 12:01pm On Aug 12, 2018
Rilwayne001:

Word!!
Both u and religion na the same, zero difference. From the same small region of the middle-east loool.
Re: What Does Matthew 8:22 Mean By "Let The Dead Bury Their Own Dead"? by studentofTruth: 12:03pm On Aug 12, 2018
Any Christian/ believer that claims that Jesus is man elevated by God, I have one question for you.

What is it you believed in which the Pharisees didn't which gave you the title believer? In other words what's the Pharisees accusing Jesus of? What's the crust of dispute between Jesus and the Pharisees?

Simple answer.... The Pharisees denied the IDENTITY of JESUS.
As a believer you know, accept and believe in the Identity of Jesus and consequently his work on Earth.
You profess that Jesus is God, layed down his divine nature and took up human nature to exist among humans so as to redeem humanity, the process which culminated in his death on the cross and confirmed by his resurrection and Ascension into heaven.

This is the Christain belief. This is what the apostles believed in. That's what they transmitted to us. Anybody with any shred of doubt about this is a Nonbeliever. Is antichrist.

1 Like

Re: What Does Matthew 8:22 Mean By "Let The Dead Bury Their Own Dead"? by Shafiiimran99: 12:06pm On Aug 12, 2018
CodeTemplar:
Your explanation is confusionism.
"He is an integral part of God" which God?

"and therefore God in a sense" in what sense?

"but also represents our access or gateway to God".
Which God again?
Re: What Does Matthew 8:22 Mean By "Let The Dead Bury Their Own Dead"? by ArcSEMPECJ(m): 12:07pm On Aug 12, 2018
OhiOfIhima:

His expression was jus so ineptitude lame n unexplainable.. How could someone compare the Almighty Allah to one of his prophet.. Anabi lsah(AS). This is where I have issue wit u guys Christians. Pls read ur Bible again n again.
Oga let me tell you clearly..... Stop confusing yourself.. Pls
Allah is not the God of Christians........ Period...
Mohammed confused you his mumu followers to believe that Allah is the same God of the Jews....his attempt to write his name as a prophet in the bible failed woefully......
I could have believed you that Allah is my God if Mohammed was written to be a prophet in my Bible...
So why not believe in Christ ...Anabi Isah(AS) as your Koran calls him and respect him and also who's name is also in the bible.... Than to believe a man Mohammed... Who gave Allah to you and never had his name in the bible?....
Hope you now know who Christ is pls..... Because even Koran could not hide the truth that his birth was out of human figure....what is holding you from seeing the truth my brother?.....leave that Allah that you don't know where it came from and worship God who is equally recorded in your Koran..... IE Jesus Christ

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does Matthew 8:22 Mean By "Let The Dead Bury Their Own Dead"? by Btruth: 12:24pm On Aug 12, 2018
CodeTemplar:
...why are you wasting your time with him? When you have a nice topic up there that's very educative to the people.

.....and to your question. Yes. I think your illustrations are right. God bless you. Have a beautiful Sunday.
Re: What Does Matthew 8:22 Mean By "Let The Dead Bury Their Own Dead"? by ArcSEMPECJ(m): 12:27pm On Aug 12, 2018
huntax:

Lol, absolute garbage. Jesus IS NOT God and in no way will he ever be God. He's a prophet of God, not His son and not also is he God himself. You lot are more confused than drunk man in a market square.

........you are the drunk dude amongst us....
First let me clear you.... THE GOD OF CHRISTIANS is Entirely not the same god you Muslims worship IE Allah....
Now let me clear you more.....
Koran was from Mohammed..... Who claimed to be a prophet
But why was there nothing like Allah in the bible as a name for God?
2...if the Koran was the greater book than bible.... Then why was Isah( AS) in the Koran as a prophet but Mohammed was never written in the bible even as a lepper ?....
3...Mohammed fooled you people by bringing ISah (AS) to the Koran even spoke about his birth as one born in a miraculous way.... He skipped the point where the Holy Spirit was mentioned because he doesn't believe in it..... Go to the while of Koran... Suyat... Check if any other prophet was born that way?....
4...Mohammed scrapped the part where Jesus Christ performed miracles and equally scrapped the death of Christ which was not a normal death too because his fresh ascended into heaven....
So if all these where scrapped from your Koran and some kept just to make it look like Christ is part of Koran..... Then can't you see that your Koran Mohammed thought about Christ was incomplete?
And can't you also see that Christ is not a part of Islam?.... because Islam does not have full understanding and power of him or his name?....
BE WISE bro.... Think about Mohammed and think about Christ.......Chirst is not human like Mohammed was
Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does Matthew 8:22 Mean By "Let The Dead Bury Their Own Dead"? by brainhgeek(m): 12:29pm On Aug 12, 2018
Let the spiritually dead bury the physically dead
Re: What Does Matthew 8:22 Mean By "Let The Dead Bury Their Own Dead"? by Rilwayne001: 12:30pm On Aug 12, 2018
Olabenjamen22:

You people lack tolerance but can invade other people religion section.

I don't understand what you mean by we lack tolerance. Elaborate please.
Besides, how's commenting on a thread tantamount to invasion? I honestly don't get you.

You and the guy you quoted lack sense and am not surprise since you are a Muslim,
Now you are insulting me, when actually I didn't insult you one bit, did I?

How I lack sense I don't know. What do you mean to be sense, and how am I lacking it? Unless you answer these questions, I'm sorry to say, you lack sense too.

your friend ask a question the guy answer the question, instead of your braindead friend to read the guy reply and ask questioned about where he was confused he went about insulting the guy that he is confuse. Lolz.

That's their business not mine. I didn't even follow the conversation, I only caught a good point in the post I quoted, why you're attacking me now, I don't know. Is it now a crime to acknowledge a good post?

He even go about showing is stupidity when he claim Jesus was created,

Stupidity? Why are you so full of insult, is this what they are teaching you in church?

Besides, pray tell, if Jesus was not created, how did he come into existence? sad

lol i guess you and your brother can show me where in the bible state that Jesus was created
Well the fact that he was born same way as you olabenjamin tells you what

because i can show you where Jesus claim he exist even before the world was created. Mtcheew.

For argument sake, let's agree he existed before the world was created, then we can also agree he was created before the world was created. Doesn't that makes sense? cheesy grin

Peace

Well, the whole of your post doesn't sound peaceful. More like angry rain-beated chicken. shocked grin lmao
Re: What Does Matthew 8:22 Mean By "Let The Dead Bury Their Own Dead"? by Rilwayne001: 12:34pm On Aug 12, 2018
ArcSEMPECJ:
You are a purely living in darkness.... And tend to avoid some words from the bible that talks about God as Christ himself.... But you clinch unto the part that confuses you more to believe that Christ is not God...
In your Koran....islam....was Christ... Isha not recorded to be born in a miraculous way?.... Since his birth.,,,has there been any records of another birthday like that?

You didn't read also In the Quran that Adam's birth was more miraculous that Isah's? Checkmate. tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

10 Prayer Points That Make Christians Shout & Pray Aggressively / Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? / When Sexual Pleasure Becomes Poisonous

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.